Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The voice thing is amazingly bad because even I want want to be John Fallout and care about my son, going 100% for their characterisation it still feels really off if I want John Fallout to be a really buff black dude or a grizzled old guy, smooth Latino etc and a nerdy white boy voices comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One time I made a Skyrim mod that had a living mannequin companion that could talk and follow you around etc, which I installed on my brother's PC without him knowing. He was very upset when he found it and refused to play until I deleted it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Legion does hosed up things to women but it also does hosed up things to men, all members of the Legion are essentially slaves but they are indoctrinated to think that their lives are cool and good. They are very rude but also very cool and iconic. Ave, true to Caesar.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Neurolimal posted:

If you sell Arcade into slavery so he can act as Caesar's live-in doctor you get a good microcosm of Caesar in a single slide; he's delighted to finally have someone else of high intellect and uncorrupted integrity 'within the Legion', bonds with him over several months engaging in what he saw as compelling debate and discourse, then loses him when he is left alone with a scalpel and slits his wrists to escape the Legion , leaving Caesar alone again with his nation of better-than-raiders.

I myself haven't stomached playing a Legion run, just wiki'd and watched vids, but I'd argue that it's one of the more complex routes in the game moral and theme-wise.

He disembowels himself in the same way Cato did, "unwilling to live in a world led by Caesar and refusing even implicitly to grant Caesar the power to pardon him" which is extremely badass.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm the guy who spends 3 days fighting the physics engine to get everything in my base looking nice and then hearing a nuke falling from the sky, clipping into the ground and not being able to noclip back out.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm the guy at Bethesda who is really into American History and pushes for every Fallout game to include more of it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm the Nuke Protecto-Shield for settlements that costs $4.99 per use.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mendrian posted:

I also don't know how it can be fun without story, writing, or real NPCs but here we are.

Fallout 4 seemed to do well.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This game is actually good because Bethesda finally made a game without their absolutely atrocious storylines and dialogue.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe I am unfairly biased but to me the overly wacky stuff in Fallout 2 is ok because the most severe of it is confined to rare special encounters so its separate from the rest the game. You know its just a funny weird joke that you aren't supposed to take seriously, this isn't actually part of the world.

The connected open world nature of Fallout 3 and 4 as well as way Bethesda writes stuff makes it impossible to tell if something is genuinely dumb or a joke.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7c_6ieoTDM

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/ED-E_My_Love

Every quest in New Vegas is a reference to a period song. ED-E is real and strong and he's my friend.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fallout 3 is the only game where I've seriously wanted to kill kids (unless you count console deleting the annoying Mick and Ralphs crier) because they block the entry into a cave needed for main quest progress and call you a dumb motherfucker etc but there's no way to just laugh and walk past their plywood barricade. You gotta suck up to them and prove how cool you are even if you are a mass murderer who nuked Megaton, they act like they know there is no way you could possibly hurt them.

I know everyone is over Disco Elysium comparisons but that game has a child NPC who is a wretched little goblin that constantly screams homophobic insults at you in an annoying high pitched voice. When you meet him he's high on speed and throwing rocks at a murder victim which you are supposed to investigate. He's possibly the most atrocious child I've ever seen in a game. Early on when he's being a little poo poo to you there is an option to straight up punch this child in the face. Your inner thoughts and your partner let you know is an extremely uncool thing to do. You failed yourself by doing this. The kid respects you a little for doing it though. His dad is all about that violence poo poo so he knows the score. You've proved how you are a big man by punching an abused child, its a shocking thing to occur. Your interactions with this demon child have made him feel "real" so anything that happens to him feels real.

Bethesda NPCs are soulless automatons so there is no emotional weight to anything you do to them. You will never feel bad about murdering all the faceless NPCs and the three shopkeepers with one personality trait each in Diamond City. You'll just furrow your brow at the children running around asking for help in an extremely calm voice after you fire a Mini Nuke at them.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Imagine if the main character in Fallout 4 was a synth but you got created after leaving the Vault some time. You could have quests where people you've never met seem to remember you, you have to clean up after messes created by your other self or people are trying to pay you for things you never did. You could meet the real you and have a conversation where they ask you to team up with them and you could Agree, Sarcastically Agree, Agree For Some Money or Refuse (With Option To Agree Later).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Weirdly for the "main" faction, the Minutemen path is only open after you turn the Institute hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Railroad shouldn't have existed as a full faction with a base and everything but been turned members of the other factions who you can only identify with callsigns and dead drops etc. They'd give you alternate options for completing quests. Also they shouldn't erase the memories of synths.