Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Being tepid in the game itself (it's still not great but has come a long way and I like it despite also hating it), and not liking BR modes, I wasn't going to even gently caress with Nuclear Winter. But, since I had some spare time and the trial or whatever ends tomorrow (right? something like that?) I thought I'd try it at least once.

Surprisingly not that bad an experience. I may be in the minority, but I kinda dig it, and that it also gives you a little extra in adventure mode is nice, too.

I haven't killed anyone or even advanced beyond overseer lvl 2, and two of my three deaths have been to the storm and my own obliviousness, but it's actually not awful.

Aside from that, I am just anticipating them adding those drat NPCs, and praying that they somehow do it well. Back when they started talking about "new vaults opening up," them adding human NPCs and the ability to interact with them would be the obvious way to go, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Tenzarin posted:

Have you seen fallout 4 npcs? I hope you like Preston Garvey because a settlement Wastelander is in danger and needs your help!

Lmao. Yeah I know. I know all so very well. In fact, in Fallout Shelter (yes, I play Shelter occasionally, and yes I like it), I got Garvey as a dweller via a lunchbox. I immediately renamed him and sent him to the barber for new hair. No minuteman outfit or laser musket either. Just, pass on Preston.

That said, if that's what we get, gently caress it. It's still more than what we have right now.

I tend to enjoy these later Fallouts, despite their achingly obvious flaws. Sometimes there's some (unintentional) charm to it. I also really loving despise them, though, which keeps it interesting.

On another note: I wish they'd let your PC in 76 (or any other title) become a ghoul from chem use or rad exposure. I want to play as a fuggin ghoul. Raul is one of my favorite Fallout NPCs.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually like this game overall more than Fallout 4, even though Far Harbor was actually pretty great. I also find it amazing there is more active use of swampy and watery terrain in loving West Virgina then the samey coastline of Fallout 4 Massachusetts, but whatever. The plot of "devastating plague killed everybody when they were on the cusp of rebuilding, poo poo's hosed" is way more interesting to me personally than "my baby!"

Also as a former boy scout I think the whole pioneer scouts thing is surprisingly fun and well implemented, and I think it's pretty cool there is a whole merit badge system.

I just wish this game could have been delayed more to fix all the poo poo before it got rushed, but whatever

I agree that the map and terrain I'm 76 are better and more diverse and stuff. Also, sure, the skeleton of a plot that's there is better than the protagonist's main motivation in 4.

And yeah, sucks that it was rushed. Also sucks that even mediocrity seems to be a challenge for Bethesda's writing.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
For anyone else playing 76 on ps4 that may be interested, I could use some help with what I think is the final mission (launching the nuke). PSN handle is Robo-Raptor, and even if I'm not on when you add me, I'm still game to finish it whenever I am playing again. Would be nice to experience this game with others, for a change. It's an "MMO" (sort of) but I've solo'd the entirety so far.

Also I just wanna add the gripe that the side mission "An Organic Solution" has been bugged for me ever since I first started it. I go to find Ella's research, then I procure said research, and then my objective doesn't update. Suggestions?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually feel if they added the ability to play or mutate into a super mutant or a ghoul might help their numbers as well. Just make it the Pen and Paper RPG game at this point; why not

I haven't even abandoned the game yet and emphatically agree. Wanna play as a ghoul drat it.

e: quick question: have they added fast travel placement thingies for CAMPs like they had in F4 yet? Cause it'd be awesome if it stopped spawning me inside a cliff face when I travel to my CAMP. And no. I won't move my camp unless I find a spot even better.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
As of the past week or so, I decided to revisit Fallout 4. One thing I can say for 76 is that it definitely makes certain parts of four seem better and other parts seem worse, so at least it's a sort of fresh experience.

To add to the "different experience, this time" aspect, I decided I'd go with the Brotherhood, since that was the only ending I hadn't gotten yet, and as petty as I know it is, I only lack those trophies (and the "large settlement at 100% happiness" one) before platting it, since I finished the other stuff before they ever even released mods on ps4. So all of that's to say that I am playing vanilla, aside from the free stuff the creation club offers each week (which is never any good, and the neat stuff isn't neat enough to buy, IMO).

I dunno if it's me and I just finally accepted what FO4 is, or if the stuff they've added and changed has made that much a difference, or what, but it's not quite as disappointing a game this time around. Probably also helps that I know how janky the base building poo poo is, this time, and how it works, so I can be content to just snack some shelter and resources down in an area and move on. And if the warehouse I have everyone sleeping in at Oberland Heights just so happens to only pop in mid-air, well, I can put a stairway up to it. Whatever, I gave up on trying to do any grandiose bases (without mods, at least) probably before 2015 had even finished.

Still a major hoarder, though. Also still making my money lording over water and cooking Jet to sell. Speed from fertilizer and plastic, anyone?

Edit: I still hate that whole Memory Den portion and its execution, though.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 30, 2019