Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Farcry 5's open world creates this wonderful sense of co-op freedom... and then every time you make progress in the game, it grabs the controls away from you and drags you and your friend into a cutscene followed by a boring hallway shooter sequence.

It reminded me of Dying Light, where the developer seems oblivious to their own strengths (gameplay) and weaknesses (writing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andenno
May 1, 2009

That's cool to hear about Chris Avellone working on Dying Light 2. Prey (the second one) and Pillars of Eternity are games where the story and gameplay mesh well together.

In Dying Light I felt like I was battling the awful "edgy" plot to enjoy a fun co-op urban parkour game.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

He wrote Grieving Mother lol

Ah, never mind then.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Is there a cliff notes summary w/o major spoilers of what the deal is with "grieving mother"?

I was being hyperbolic, but she's flat compared to the other characters in the game. She mostly communicates through backstory flashbacks.

Keeshhound posted:

Really, Durrance and Greiving Mother represent him at his best and at his worst, respectively.

This is what's surprising. Durance is one of the best characters in the game. I like that fiery bastard.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

We've come a long way from "Who do you voodoo bitch."

There was that part in Dying Light where you strangle a toddler zombie for crying too loud. The main character whispers "Shhh," as they do it. That made me feel weird.

Not weird enough to not keep playing though! And post release content and support is good.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's the "blueprint" you get where you move your camp, and all your stuff packs up so you get a series of blueprint icons in the "stored" tab. Instead of an intentionally stored blueprint.

Could you try relocating your camp, and forcing the game to replace your stored camp blueprint? You'd just need to build a new structure, ignoring the old blueprint, then relocate the camp once more. That should replace your existing base blueprint.

No idea if this would work, or what happens to the old stored camp stuff. Hopefully the pieces get stored individually like when you break down other stored blueprints.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-RwdLS1eI

Omg is so bad. Look at this guys this is how you play elder scrolls.

I agree, but TBF, is there any multiplayer game where playing "optimally" doesn't look dumb as hell?

For example, I loved Chivalry Medieval Warfare, but novice players were correct when they complained that the experienced players were all twirling around like idiots.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

I just started using a bloodied build and there are some drawbacks to it. I hate how you can’t enter nuke zones without PA and you die to the smallest cliff a bunch.

Get yourself two legendary armor pieces with fall damage reduction. It can be on any armor piece, not just legs. They stack to 100%.

Combine with the secret service jetpack and you can be one of those idiots pogo jumping around during public events, like me!

Though I'm still using a junkies combat shotgun because I haven't geared for bloodied.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Check out the map in this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/ajgufp/the_enemy_level_map_included_with_the_game_guide/

The post is about how inaccurate the map is, but it's still good enough to loosely guide you. If you're lower level and don't want to get 1-hit, stick in the regions where the monster level cap is close to yours, such as Forest, Toxic Valley, or Ash Heap. You can find low level monsters in the Savage Divide, but you might run into a brick wall too.

The game doesn't communicate this at all, but your experience will be smoother if you use that map.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Discospawn posted:

On that note, I would wager the One Wasteland update will nullify all of the current builds by 'fixing' all the crazy damage-modifier interactions, so that Level 1 and Level 200 characters feel equally powerful.

Maybe this is why the shotgun enforcer perk was silently nerfed (not in the patch notes), no fun mechanics allowed!

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Commando stuff.

I'm levelling up a commando build right now, level 80ish, that's similar, but does use vats and doesn't use stealth.

Since you don't use VATS, consider trying 3* Dodgy. It uses up AP, which is not a concern for you, and that 30% flat damage reduction can be handy. I also strongly recommend at least 1* in Born Survivor. I use the 3* variant since I have spare Agility, and I can not die unless I am asleep at the controls.

In my opinion, 1* Adrenaline gives you more value per perk point. So you could free up 4 agility points that way. It's 6% at 1* vs 10% at 5*.

Sorry that these don't help with your damage woes. I just wanted to share what I've learned about surviving as a non-power armor commando. Plus it's more fun when you can be tanky and aggressive.

I'm surprised that you went for Long Shot over Ground Pounder. Ground pounder's faster reload helps you avoid getting interrupted while reloading. You must be sniping more than me, whereas I am mostly hip firing at close and medium range.

I agree with the above post though, min maxing is not necessary for 99% of the content. It's an optional long term goal if you are already enjoying your character.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I don't see any change in the Herd Mentality bonus when I slot it.

That's right. Herd Mentality works in public groups of 1. Strange in Numbers does not. I guess it is checking for a teammate with mutations, not just checking for a team.

That also means there is never any downside to the Herd Mentality mutation, as long as when you're alone you're in a public party of 1.

Andenno fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 5, 2020

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, they are listed on the worldmap... but it's World Map/Challenges/Badge/Goals.

And half the time I immedietely forget what I just looked at.

EDIT: What do everyone's legendary perk situatuon look like? I have Ammo Factor, two ranks of Infiltrator and Legendary Luck.

You can also mouse over a specific challenge and press "T" to track it. The challenge will then be listed on your map screen any time you open it. But that only tracks the number of completed steps out of the whole, so it's not very helpful.

All my legendary perks go to bonus SPECIAL points. I would like to add "what rads" to my junkie shotgunner, if I ever unlock the 6th perk slot.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Hell yea, it's great seeing all those notifications pop up while you're too busy to read them, during Rad Rumble. I unlocked Officer on Deck right before the event and it autocompleted from all of the legendary ghouls running around.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So why can other people destroy my camp when I have pacifist on, but I can't put a dent into their camps with it off?

I dumped 50 mini nukes on a guys base today, not so much as a goddamn scratch, and my place looks like a matchstick house from them attacking me with my pacifist on?

It's dumb, you have to be in a "fight" with the camp owner to damage their camp. However, explosive bait is bugged and bypasses that constraint. That is probably what they did to your camp.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Hellcat PA, yes. 2% ballistic DR per piece, excluding the helmet as helmets can't be legendary.

Not sure that can be rerolled or if the 2% BDR carries over when you do.

This seems strange to me because even the weakest power armor does great against ballistic damage. Am I missing something or is this not very useful?

Andenno
May 1, 2009

These videos are really cool but I also want to yell at the photographers, "Do not stop and stare at mushroom clouds!" If you see a mushroom cloud, you should assume it is not safe to touch/taste/hear/smell/see.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

So as long as I only sell non-scrappables, I'm safe?

I only sell plans, ammo, and legendaries. I guess this would be dangerous if you sell outfits and junk.

E: I guess Sensenmann's point is no one really knows so there is no "safe" option, short of scrapping your vendor.

Andenno fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 27, 2021

Andenno
May 1, 2009

I get that the empty candy bowls are frustrating, but I'm loving this event. Touring everybody's Halloween decorated CAMP is fun. I'd like to see more events that encourage CAMP visitors.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I am never the kind of player in any of these games who grinds out the utterly maxed out perfect build, I am absolutely fine being suboptimal, thanks for the advice though :thumbsup:

It's fun to start over. High level QOL perks are nice but they also strip out a lot of the challenge and variety that you encounter with a new character.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The legendary lockpick/hack is so drat useful I maxxed it out.

I went the opposite route with my last character. Stopped worrying about lockpicking/hacking and never looked back.

Andenno fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 1, 2021

Andenno
May 1, 2009

There are abilities that work in pve and not pvp, like Electric Absorption.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Infinite trail fireworks!

Today's free atomic shop item is glitched and you can claim it over and over. Just throw the scrap kits on the ground because they take up weight.

It's fun when you spam them at public events and other players join in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andenno
May 1, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What's even the point of trail fireworks anyhow?
Totally pointless. They're for celebrating and annoying your neighbors.

E:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

what purpose do they serve that they can't just be found scattered around?
:shrug: