Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Collapsing Farts posted:

Fallout 6

The twist? There never was a war, everything is fine

I can kinda see this happening, if they made the end of the game involve the bombs hitting. They can even cram liberty prime into it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Rinkles posted:

There'll be a "pacifist" toggle so you don't accidentally engage players. This is because the rules of PvP change if both players are willing—you take more damage if you accept or start a fight (which could be exploited by other players deliberately running into your line of fire, which would count as you starting the fight).

So much of these rules sound like patchwork solutions to the fundamental issues of mandatory multiplayer.

This reminds me of something I was doing in GTA online when I started to lose interest but wasn't ready to quit yet, go into passive mode, get in the car, accelerate up to top speed then bail out. Your car will leave passive mode and collide with other players, loving up their car or running them over.

People are always going to be assholes (myself included, admittedly), so there's only so much you can actually do to prevent it, but the only really effective way is recognizing that some people don't want to play with those assholes. I hope they eventually concede this wasn't the best idea instead of doubling down again and again.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I know it's because they recycled as many assets as they could from fallout 4, but it says something about how weak Bethesda's art direction is that an extra 200 years of decay does absolutely nothing to vehicles or buildings in the fallout world.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The only thing I remember about fallout 4's main quest is I had a glitch where my character and wife were white and the baby was black, and the first thing I saw in the living room was a pack of cigarettes, to which my character asked where they came from. Made it really hard to care about "HAVE YOU SEEN MY BABY?"

Also fallout 3 looks like a greenish gray-brown soup with talking potatoes. That game aged horribly.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

sneakyfrog posted:

gamers

its not a drat identity its a pastime

Of all drat people to quote, Norman Bates put it best. A hobby should pass the time, not fill it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I thought just occurred to me. I wonder how long it will be until someone treats this as a resource pack and ports the map and creatures to fallout 4. At least gameplay would be "alright" as opposed to "utter poo poo."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Magmarashi posted:

It would be literally the exact same except there would also be a bunch of NPCs who think that WV is Boston?

Well at least it wouldn't kick you out of the game because it lost connection to the server.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Near as I could figure the Institute's (or at least Father's) goal was to gently caress with people. Nothing they did was of any real merit or purpose other than "eh, let's gently caress with folks for a bit."

They pumped out the super mutants for no reason for years, made robo-gorillas because it sounds kinda cool, and made synths that are either so advanced that became self-aware, or were inherently flawed and became rebellious (depending on how you interpret the synths' sense of self). Instead of stopping production to figure out where they went right or wrong, they keep pumping them out and dedicate massive (dwindling) resources to trying to control their mistakes instead of starting over.

The Institute is a collection of either the smartest idiots or the dumbest geniuses, and I'm not sure which is worse.

Maybe the Institute made fallout 76.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Magmarashi posted:

They are basically the boogiemen The Brotherhood has been afraid of and techno fascist about. They science for the sake of sciencing, with no real endgame beyond "well, we did it" and no real regard for anything outside of doing science. They'll burn the world down a second time just to compare how hot it burned this time to the last.

That's a good way to put it. They work as antagonists, it just feels unfulfilling to join them outside of an "I want to be evil" playthrough. You don't really get the sense of them being the only light for the Commonwealth that they claim to be.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I wonder how many people's bonuses were tied into the games success. I feel like the Grinch hoping that their Christmas is ruined. Not the actual programmers, but the higher-ups that thought they could rush this along and poo poo it out with a minimum of investment and effort.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Magmarashi posted:

yes, Zenimax Online is a subsidiary of Zenimax Media and Zenimax Media doesn't have to ask Bethesda Softworks, a different subsidiary, for budget money for their own ventures.

He means zenimax media should have given the whole project to zenimax online with a bigger budget and make fallout online and cut Bethesda softworks out entirely.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

corn in the bible posted:

cause no matter how we coax them, they stay right there

The game's got things like the atom bomb,
so I think I'll stay where I am ahm

God I hate that song.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Geomancing posted:

I saw some footage of mining sites and the creeks definitely had the lovely orange glow of acid mine drainage. I was asking someone who was playing how many coal mine dungeons there were because how could there not be monster-infested abandoned longwall coal mines? The state is riddled with them.

I know it's Pennsylvania, not West Virginia, but I would love a Centralia dungeon. Crawling through a ghost town with cave openings all over the place, sinkholes, and random fires, then having to go underground and crawl through the burning tunnels would be awesome.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

The beginning of the game has your character sleeping in late and missing their going away party. Balloons and confetti but not a single living human. That tone is the entire game. Just you wandering upon other dead people's leftovers. Even most holo tapes are just last wills and speeches before gunfire.

Someone mentioned Borderlands a little while ago, and it got me thinking. On paper, Borderlands and Fallout 76 should be pretty similar. You (and optionally your friends) venture out into a husk of a world full of nightmarish creatures and blow poo poo up. Borderlands only had a small smattering of NPCs (the enemy psychos aren't much different from the scorched, ghouls and supermutants in gameplay terms), and they didn't do much; they weren't very different from the town bulletin boards. Quite often your interaction with NPCs was limited to just audio transmissions from a tape recorder you picked up on the ground. Most of the quests were "Read note/listen to recording, go here, kill X number of Y enemies, collect doohickey, return for reward."

I know there's a lot different between the two games (especially gameplay- one's fun, the other is most charitably described as rough), but I think one of the biggest differences is the tone. In Borderlands, the planet is dying. In Fallout, it's already dead. It doesn't matter what you do, the party's already over.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I keep using mods so i can have all of them follow me at once, then turn myself into a field officer leading a platoon into combat. I haven't shot anyone in weeks, but I wish Strong would just shut the hell up one in a while.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Liquid Communism posted:

Hancock was such a waste of an absolutely killer character design and voice actor.

The dude should have been the one to kill McDonough. Having it explained afterwards, especially if he wasn't even there when it happened, cheapens the reveal so much.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
If being lucky or unlucky has anything to do with crashing to desktop, something has gone horribly wrong.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm just glad they wasted their appalachian (mis)adventure in west virginia instead of NC. Asheville's name is perfect for an apocalypse, and there's a Black Mountain too for Tabitha to come back to the airwaves from. There was also a post-apocalypse book based in Black Mountain where a high-altitude burst knocked the US back into the 19th century, then a raider army of cannibal ex-cons attacked the town, so they could work that in. They could have had some doomsday cult evangelist living out of Billy Graham's old place trying to kick off the rapture for real.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Between this Obsidian game and the Far Cry apocalyptic technicolor odyssey, I don't think this is Bethesda's week.

You know, besides the half baked game that can't run for more than a few minutes unless you're one of the lucky players, the mounting criticisms of cheaping out on their collectors items, and posting their customers data for the world to see. But those are little things.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
E: nvm

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I remember when I wanted to start playing GTA online, and realizing how expensive a t-shirt was, I went on youtube to figure out how to make money. The guide I saw basically said go into a private session, grind one or two missions over and over, and after a week you'll have enough money to unlock the next barricade. Then after you do that you go back to the same missions, grind for a month or two, then you can unlock the next barrier "and start making some real money"- by which I mean you grind for another month to afford the next money-making scheme.

Or your will breaks first and you give real money to buy rockstar funbux.

Granted you can do missions with friends (whatever those are) or other random players, but one moron is enough to ruin the fun.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I always modded it so I could select all 4 sexuality perks, then used one of the robot race mods. Fisto don't discriminate.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I still like that they threw in "The Institute made Super Mutants!" as an explanation for why they're crammed in this game, but despite everyone in the game asking "Why the hell are they making Super Mutants?" there's no answer.

Also they screwed up the brotherhood again by making you destroy the institute instead of killing everyone and seizing the technology. Even if they want to get rid of synths, they had a lot of other stuff that the brotherhood could have used (didn't they make Kellogg live over a century with what were essentially mothballed cybernetic implants?)

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 11, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The White Dragon posted:

don't be ridiculous who ever heard of riding a bat

To be fair you don't ride on the bat.

Coming soon to an atom shop near you.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
There used to be a show about a decade ago about how the man-made world would decay called Life After People (there was another similar one that came out around the same time, can't remember the name). Basically most man-made stuff isn't going to last long without preservation. Worth a watch if you didn't see it back then.

And yeah, the science in fallout doesn't make sense and never really has. I can forgive it to a certain extent, but among the first mods I always use are grass and tree mods to put some color back into the wasteland.

e: Holy poo poo Threads was a great drat movie, and scared the poo poo out of me when I watched it a few months back. That and The Day After are worth watching.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 11, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

The Day After would be the Disneyfied version of Threads if it hadn't come first. IIRC the first discussions about a possible nuclear winter happened at the arse end of TDA's production, which is why its effects are absent.

I also recommend When The Wind Blows, both animated movie and visual novella(? If there's a better name for it, I'm all ears.) A charming old couple who lived through WWII reckon their experience way back when will help them survive the next time the bombs hit.

...nope. :(

Almost forgot about that one. drat that was a depressing movie.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just remembered one of my gripes from the launch of fallout 4, and there's probably a mod to fix this that I never found, but they had dual wielding in Skyrim, why wasn't that in fallout 4 (and 76 now for that matter)? Tie it to a park or power armor, but that would be interesting.

Maybe it would have been overpowered but since they put the minigun and power armor five minutes into the first quest I don't think they would be too concerned about that.

E: Thinking about a little bit longer, reload animations would definitely be a problem, and a bunch of other stuff besides

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 14, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hav posted:

All the really motivated vault dwellers are states away, and we're all the fuckups.

This checks out. All the smart folks got the hell away (and stayed away) from 76, and the players are the ones that didn't.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The funny part of the ongo bongo song's inclusion is they only did so because the last three lines (which almost sound like they were tacked on afterwards) mention an atomic bomb and that's all Bethesda cared about. The racist content of the rest of the song is more accidental.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how James Cameron thinks that people will want to see seven more Avatar movies,

I had to watch it a while back for a research project, there's really not a lot of meat left to it to create a second movie, let alone the half dozen or however many they signed on for. Also the first one was nearly a decade ago and they just wrapped filming on the second, drat. At least Sam Worthington still has a job I guess.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Who could forget the timeless tale of Pong?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
For what it's worth I just grabbed one of the nuka cola bottles off of thingiverse to see how long it would take to make one myself (this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1239079). Scaling it up as big as the official one, it would take about 30 hours with my printer, which kinda sucks but it's to be expected for something so big (so not something I'd be willing to do myself, but a business could get these made a lot faster). Also I'd be able to swap out the empty bottle inside and put in decent rum instead of cheap poo poo with food coloring.

Also for whoever made their model that took 100 hours got outplayed by someone's first model, this one looks better to me than the real one.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Penpal posted:

I interpreted it as 100 hours spent designing the 3D model in software, like a sculptor working magic on a block of marble, not how long it took for one nuka dark bottle to actually print

but it's not like I care much either way

Honestly same here, but I still think their saying "we know you aren't happy but we worked REALLY hard you guys" just makes it sadder.

I kinda feel bad for them. Ultimately Bethesda told them to make it to a price point, and they ok'd the final design.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'd be genuinely surprised if there wasn't an Easter egg in fallout 76 of a pickle surrounded by a bunch of dead rats.

...There is one isn't there.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Old Boot posted:

As has been said: no, they didn't.

<snip>

My problem with the story was I had a white couple, a black baby and a pack of cigarettes on the counter my male character didn't recognize- literally "who left those there?" Pretty minor, just a graphical glitch and an ambiguous line of dialogue, but I had zero emotional connection to the baby or wife. I knew I was giving the game too much credit because Bethesda are a bunch of hacks and wouldn't think of a wrinkle like that, but if my first reaction to the baby is "that's not mine, and holy poo poo I think my wife is cheating on me," it's hard to get invested.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Wherever it ends up, I bet the new big baddies are the Dwemer, and the dragon attacks/oblivion gates will be the dwemer portalling in to attack whatever innkeeper or village you just wandered past.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I played as a fem pc and the first thing I did when I met the institute leader was shoot him in the head, because he clearly was evil and had done something to Shaun. Han Solo style bitch

Then I read some spoilers about who he was. Oops.

The main quest just ends there lol there’s nothing else to do

It never explained who he was lol

Same here, the first time he opened the door, I jerked and accidentally fired, he blew up. We both learned an important lesson about negligent discharges.

Reloaded the save, found out he was Sean, killed him again immediately, only this time on purpose.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pnumoman posted:

Normally competent devs don't have to beg the hackers with lifting their account suspension to find out how they got in.

Is it just me or is that their response to everyone not playing nice? Indefinite ban with a homework assignment to write about what they did. Granted I guess the alternative is timeouts for X number of hours or days but they really didn't think about how people would break this game over their knees. They forgot what kind of game they usually make and how people are used to abusing those games to their own ends.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Excels posted:

the point where my disappointment reached its peak with FO4 was when i trekked all the way to the museum of witchcraft and they didn't even have a witch costume for me to dress my milf in. how hard would it have been...

They could have at least had something spooky there instead of just another murder lizard like the one you killed three minutes out of the vault. Or hell at least let me hatch the egg and imprint on the baby deathclaw and turn it into a pet.

e: Apparently there was supposed to be another quest in Salem about kids with magic powers (from Skyrim) and a town that was afraid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
They'll add a giant cardboard cutout of the fallout 76 boxart to the atom store, conveniently priced a bit more than the free atom handout they'll give to legacy players.