Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No matter how many Raiders and Super Mutants you kill, there are always infinitely more. No matter how many thriving settlements you establish, there are always starving scavengers who will murder you for the food in your backpack. I wish they'd made it possible to actually change the Commonwealth.

In Far Cry 3, it's actually possible to reach an endgame where you've killed all the pirates and they don't come back. The open world becomes peaceful and beautiful. I wish that could be attainable in more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fallout 4 can feel like an entirely different game with different builds. Melee + grenades, machine guns, sniping, and infinite VATS chains are all reasonably viable. Although big guns just suck and aren't worthwhile unless you find a poisonous minigun.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a tradeoff between the radiation and the blast effects for a nuclear bomb of any given size. Ground level detonations produce maximum fallout, but high altitude detonations destroy the maximum square mileage and that's the cost-effective way to annihilate a country. In a nuclear exchange, the primary causes of death would be starvation, incineration, blasts, and radiation poisoning a distant fourth. But that makes for less interesting gameplay than pockets of radiation that kill you in minutes.

Of course, in Fallout world, they only have fission bombs and extremely miniaturized versions of them, which would create more fallout (but not much would linger for 20 years, much less 200.)

Edward Teller, the father of the hydrogen bomb, proposed building a single bomb with 10 billion tonnes of explosive force and burying it somewhere in the United States, to be used for killing the entire world in case of nuclear war. He argued it would be cheaper than an arsenal of 10,000 hydrogen bombs, and provide a deterrent that couldn't be used for a first strike. They kept him far away from nuclear policy after that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grenades are strong enough in Fallout 4 that I've always suspected they're a viable primary weapon, but I've never tried it. In Fallout 3 they're a joke, because a grenade deals just slightly more damage than a .308 round so you might as well trade that nade for several bullets.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Quarex posted:

That map definitely makes me want to write a post-apocalyptic story focusing on rural off-the-grid-type residents of Western Kansas and Northern Maine who do not realize the world has ended for like three months

Edit: Oh snap my beloved Upper Peninsula of Michigan is totally spared; write what you know! Gonna be a bestseller for 2021 donchaknow, you betcha

There was a good TV series called Jericho about a small town in the aftermath of a nuclear exchange. I recommend it to any Fallout fans.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Skyrim on PS3 irretrievably broke your save file if you visited all of the cities in the game. The playtesters evidently never got that far before it was released.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The next Fallout game should have a town where someone kept accidentally setting off the "incoming nukes" alarm, so when the bombs actually fell no one was taking cover.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gynovore posted:

(Yes I know that neutron bombs don't really work that way. This is Fallout, where Radiation Is Magic.)

Neutron bombs were never developed in Fallout canon.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rewatching Chernobyl makes me want to play Fallout 4 without any way of clearing radiation. Real life doesn't have RadAway, and it would be an interesting challenge to see if I could get through the Glowing Sea without it.

Or should I give Fallout 76 a shot? I tried the Battle Royale mode when it came out and hated it, but is the world itself worth exploring?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Imagine Fallout 4 but more frustrating in every way

That's not much of a deterrent for me. How much time do I spend exploring, and how much time do I spend on dumb micromanagement?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How does the difficulty compare to Fallout 4 on Survival? I don't mind dying, but I really hate the feeling of helplessly emptying my gun into a bullet sponge.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just bought this game. Going to become a heavy gunner tank with Power Armor. Heavy guns are a reasonable choice right? I usually play Fallout with non-automatic rifles.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I made a sneaky sniper and it's ridiculous how powerful this build is. I'm at level 20, and I have to fight level 68 enemies to feel remotely threatened. I got the Adrenal Reaction mutation, so I'm staying below 100 health for max damage. I found some Chameleon armour which lets me get unlimited sneak attacks even though I just took the first rank of the Sneak perk. Once I find a Bloodied weapon, it'll just keep getting more absurd.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

There’s a bug where sometimes an enemy will be immortal and just stand there without doing anything. Normally when mothman is being worshipped it yeets the gently caress out as soon as any you get near it. So yeah probably the same bug. It’s pretty funny when it happens with super mutants though because for whatever reason they spawn with only their little undies on.

This happened to me with a level 7 attack dog, but it was still able to move and bite me. I had to run a long way before it stopped chasing, and it was the scariest encounter I've had in this game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there any way to do the make friends with a Deathclaw quest without walking into the most obvious trap in history? I could easily lie about it and there's no way for her to find out, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I replay Fallout 4 a lot, and I always just ignore my kid and avoid any "Shaun!" dialogue options.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oppression posted:

Got a lovely 2 star shotgun as my ultimate reward for the treasure quest at lvl 77. It is still the latest legendary I've seen in a long time, and is barely better than the non legendary I had on hand. Maybe it's just luck but I haven't had anything decent drop ever. Still rocking the blade of bastet.

I got an amazing armor-piercing hunting rifle at level 10 from that quest, and I'm still using it at level 42 because regular level 40 rifles do less damage.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

VRViperII posted:

I had the same thought. FO4 survival is brutal. I came to FO76 after becoming god of the boston wasteland and thought the difficulty was a refreshing light romp. /humblebrag

I did a bunch of no-death challenges in FO4 survival, and in 76 I almost exclusively die to forgetting that robots explode.

On another note, I just found that church where there's a note written just after the war about how they've taken in lots of children and are running out of food, and then inside the church basement there's a wendigo. That was the darkest environmental storytelling I've seen since Fallout: New Vegas.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mr Hootington posted:

Where is that? Can't say I've found it

Haven Church, in the far eastern part of the map.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Floppychop posted:

Enemies should drop loot if you're "in combat" and within a certain distance regardless if you tag them or not.

Teaming up with people is a way to try and help with the current system, since if a teammate tags them you still get a loot drop.

That explains why I don't get anything when I shoot an enemy once, then go invisible while waiting for the level 200s to take care of it.

At what point should I stop wearing Chinese Stealth Armor, and load up on Unyielding pieces? Being invisible makes me practically unkillable, except when robots explode near me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does the game change random weapon drops based on your current weapon? I'm trying Heavy Weapons for the first time, and shortly after equipping a .50 machine gun I found a Gatling Laser and a Gatling Gun, when my last character hardly ever found heavy weapons.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Floodixor posted:

Explain, please. Also if it's like cheating the game, I don't want nt want to do it that way. I like by the book but doing it smart. I just know that there were some points and perks that really weren't worth putting anything into, ever, and boy I'd LOVE TO AVOID THOSE

Going straight to Rivet City is extreme powergaming to get one extra point of SPECIAL, I don't recommend it. The point is that Intelligence is by far the best stat in Fallout 3, and your build must have it at either 9 or 10. The "Educated" perk is also extremely good, it amounts to an extra 75 skill points.

Don't take any of the skill-increasing perks like "Little Leaguer", because you'll be able to get all the skills that matter to 100 anyway.

Tagging Explosives and Repair will be extremely helpful for a couple early game quests.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think Fallout 3 has a better world to explore than New Vegas, while New Vegas has better writing and characters. NV's gameplay is better unless you want to use heavy weapons, which are practically useless.

I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 without fast travel, but that's a miserable experience in New Vegas because there's so many "go to this city and talk to this guy" quests. Once I decided to use fast travel I enjoyed NV way more. I just wish I could run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without crashes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Good point about the DLC, the story ends in an abrupt and unsatisfying way without Broken Steel. I assume anyone playing it nowadays has all the DLC.

And yeah, Washington was a bit chopped up because of consoles having less than a gig of RAM, same with the New Vegas Strip. I think there are fewer loading screens in Fallout 3 than in New Vegas.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Comrade Koba posted:

The tunnels themselves were fairly well designed IIRC, I personally never felt constrained or confused trying to navigate them.

What ended up frustrating was trying to predict which specific route of connected underground and overland map sections would get you where you wanted to go if you didn’t already have the point on your map.

Did you read the in-game maps in the train stations? They were very good and told me everything I needed to know. It's entirely possible they might not have been legible on some graphics settings though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I could probably give Steam $5 and play it New Vegas on a modern computer with plenty of hard drive space and breeze right through McCarren like nobodies' business.

It's great. Some of the doors in Freetown play a sound clip when you open them that's longer than the loading screen, so if you want you can run around overlaying multiple door-opening sound effects.

Fallout 4 in downtown Boston has the longest loading times of anything on my SSD, longer than booting up the latest Call of Duty or starting a huge game of Civ VI. I don't know why.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: Wait, why is it spelled "Capital" in canon

The Capitol is a specific building, Washington DC is the capital of the United States.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This is my current character, level 36, with three different types of Power Armor cobbled together to make a suit. I love the rough look of patched-together equipment more than a perfectly coordinated and completed outfit. Anyone else enjoy the experience of levelling up more than end-game content? I always lose interest in a character shortly after level 50.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My first playthrough was as a bloodied sniper, now I'm playing as a heavy machine gun Power Armor tank and having a lot more fun. I can sprint everywhere and not worry about stealth because I can blow away anything I see.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Namaer posted:

power armor and gatling laser is the most op build in the game. i'm basically invincible except for sustained hits from an assaultron's head laser, and you get 1000 rounds from every fusion core in your gun. also fusion cores are super fast to farm if you find a server where you can take all three power plant workshops, i'm currently running around with over 100 of them.

Do you have One Gun Army? Shoot for the legs, Assaultrons aren't scary when they're flailing around in the dirt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Would anyone be interested in making a 4-person team to play the game together from level 1, meeting up regularly like a D&D campaign? If we all have different primary weapon types, we could share all the cool legendaries with each other.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Namaer posted:

i would definitely be interested in this, on pc?

Yeah, PC. I'm in Mountain Time, hopefully you're somewhere we can figure out a weekly time that works? I'll take it to PMs or Discord after seeing if anyone else here is down.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bardeh posted:

Yeah I came here to ask the exact same question a couple of days ago. It's a baffling decision. I will say that my brother and I have still been enjoying the game, but it sucks to do everything together and then do all the instanced stuff alone unless we want to do every interior/dungeon twice (we don't)

There's not really any hard dungeons that involve instancing though, right? There's a couple scenes where you can choose to talk your way out or shoot your way out, but to me it just seemed like a way of letting everyone be the main character of the story.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What good is levelling up after you've taken all the perks you want?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Schadenboner posted:

Is this just the thread for "Tanking mad DPS" (as the kids say these days) or can I admit that, after installing FNV/TTW I've found that I still weep like a bitch every time the robot reads There Will Come Soft Rains to dead kiddos?

That little scene was so well-done. There are many off-putting places in Fallout 3 that make it an amazing world to explore, the teenager leaving the vault for the first time is such a good framing device for the story. You can't solve everyone's problems, but you can help a bit as you travel from place to place.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

These changes sound lovely and unfun for PVE, I'm already tired of how damage spongy certain enemies are.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I made a short video of my levelups to level 5, 10, 15... all the way to 50. I really enjoy levelling up in 76, I've never particularly wanted to build an optimized character for late-game stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRSGsLPFGY

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

drrockso20 posted:

Trying to get back into Fallout 4 after not having touched it since like a couple months after it first came out, and man is it reminding me how much I despise the inventory system in this game, and how much I loath the crafting and base building aspects too, unfortunately I'm on console so I have to deal with it, though if I ever play it on PC if there's a mod for it I'd gladly rip those systems out of the game entirely

I'll admit I'm a bit of a heretic in that I'd much prefer it if these games were just standard FPS games than what they are

I made a simple rule that makes Fallout 4 more enjoyable: Never craft or build anything.

If the difficulty is a problem, I recommend maxing out your Endurance stat, and always take 5 luck and Idiot Savant. Idiot Savant is the best perk in the game by an extremely wide margin, even better with a low-intelligence character.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A key difference between Fallout 3 and NV is that 3 has a lot more random encounters, so an area remains interesting if you travel back and forth through it. New Vegas has scripted encounters, so you'll see interesting things like Powder Gangers fighting Vipers on your first trip through an area, but if you keep using a stretch of road for a while it'll be empty. I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 without fast travel, New Vegas without fast travel has a lot of empty desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ashsaber posted:

Idle thought today had me wondering what I would want in a potential Fallout 5, and that kind of ballooned out. incoming :words:

I love these ideas. Especially the notion of a society that basically reinvented communism, but hates commies.