Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if fallout 76 was incredible 10/10 mindmelting I'd love it

if fallout 76 came out and it was mediocre but did some things right, it would be a milquetoast blip in the years games, too boring to watch, not exciting enough to play.

if fallout 76 was just an abysmal failure in every way I would love to watch the bethesda cash fire.

I want it to be either really good or really bad. I dont have time for this "middling" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

played it with friends

wandered around and killed stuff, got some loot, crafted some gear

I don't think this gameplay loop is very fun. we went and claimed the giant mining base and then the workshop menu to build a base opened which made us collectively groan. then the event popped up "your base is under immanent attack!" one ghoul spawned, we killed it, and the event ended. at that point we logged off.

we killed tons of boss level enemies level 20-40 without any of them doing very much or dropping anything worth using. one of the minermans dropped a missile launcher but I couldn't use it until level 30 which wasn't gonna happen, oh well. to use a wooden cane requires level 10. what's the point in level gating this stuff?

none of this game feels very thought out, "it's fun with friends" isn't an excuse when "just sitting in discord" is fun with friends and doesn't cost $60

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there anything we haven't seen yet that's going to be in the full game? Because it really sounds like the whole game is in the beta, idk how you top cryptids and space stations. you preorder folks should be thankful you got to experience the entire game for free and can safely refund!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Minorkos posted:

Power armor goes into your inventory when you're not using it

the fact you can carry power armor in your inventory makes the stash stuff seem even weirder

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

has anyone died or fought anything challenging (not counting glitches or fiddling around with menus)

e: ok real complaint that isn't "the game as a whole is not fun"

the reach of 2h melee weapons feels way too short. I wasn't able to spear people with a pitchfork unless i was adjacent to them.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/24

l m a o

bethesda doesn't checksum their resource files, so people can do all sorts of stuff, like this (reveal where exactly the lock location is)

check the comments for some great reactions

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

It's $60; you either have it to spend or you don't. You'll get your money's worth out of it, though. I get the feeling that it will get to be a better game about a month into the game and I'd hold off until then if you're REALLY concerned about spending $60 on a new AAA video game.

you gain nothing by buying at launch other than paying to test the game for future purchasers

if the recent revelations are any indication it's going to be a rocky rear end launch

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Spacedad posted:

This game would be pretty fantastic on player-run servers. Especially if they uncapped the paltry 20 player limit.

a goon server with a tuned and administrated modlist like a minecraft server would make this game unironically great

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

burial posted:

Oh man. See, there’s a tiny chance this could someday happen, isn’t there? I really hope there is. :ohdear:

haha no, not really at all.

if it does i'll shell out the $60 but until then i'm content to fire up wireshark on the sidelines

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuzzykins posted:

Is it though? Once it goes into your stash it's just two numbers isn't it? One of which is mandatory to identify the item. Does it matter if the other item is 005 or 100 or 999? Sure, perhaps a couple of bits depending how large you let the number become, but only times the amount of unique items you can put in your stash.
Weapons and armor have durability and mods as well, but its not storing the data its displaying the data.

Each item has quantity, weight, type of item, icon, etc that has to be indexed and sortable. Each item generates its own pane in a scrollable window that updates based on user selections. Removing an item resorts the user and stash inventory (expensive if done badly) Ive made one of these for my own projects and theyre easy to make poorly. Now add in network delays - you need to verify the player put in an item they say they did, etc and it balloons out of control fast.

That being said, i dont know why 400 was their arbitrary limit. 500 probably wouldnt have much of an impact either. Someone find 400 different items and jam em in there please tell me what happens

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mormonpartyboat posted:

im going to build a giant, fully erect pip boy

A memorial to our dead son, who we loved dearly

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

Bethesda responded to IGN's story about the guy's claims and mentioned there were some valid concerns brought up, but some of the claims were bogus. Some dude ran some tests of his own today during the beta and found that the game is using TLS for encryption.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9up1g6/fallout_76_uses_tls_to_encrypt_data/

The guy restarted his client post patch and was suddenly getting encrypted udp, i wouldnt be surprised if it was unencrypted for previous betas to allow easy maintenance and testing (connection issues are the day1 kiss of death) but patched in their security when the post ended up being a big deal.

Tldr its entirely likely both posters were correct

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/9v1zs3/pc_dont_be_fooled_the_upcoming_changes_are_not_a?sort=top

A good overview of requested pc features and why they probably arent going to happen

Tldr bethesda probably doesnt want to maintain two codebases so anything that doesnt apply to consoles (push to talk, fov) is pretty unlikely

E: Bethesda edited their original post, ptt confirmed to be added :woop:

mbt fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 8, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So putting aside the doom and gloom from fanboys nerdrage, what's the option of people who actually played it? is it mostly being played as co-op fallout loot hoarding simulator with a new environment to explore or is there a lot of PvP to be had when you come across other groups? has anyone come across obvious cheaters or is it largely overblown?

Or is this something best to ask in a couple weeks when major patches have come out?

No pvp, looting is in service of basebuilding and exploring. If you like fallout 4 exploring and want to do it with friends this is the game for you. If you want story or fun shooting do not play it, this is not what youre looking for. It has more in common with no mans sky type exploration than destiny if that makes sense?

Also no people wont be able to add human npcs, thats some neat wishful thinking though lol. If only

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hauki posted:

not implying causation, but that 30gb patch kept popping up unspecified errors during install for me yesterday and I went to restart and now my hdd is corrupted and unbootable

Todd you have blood on your hands

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tei posted:

Many games do this o consoles. I think is because the backend is probably written in COBOL and is horrible primitive and fail if you look at it funny. So creating a new SKU is a simpler way to do it.

The only company that have fully mastered the special bullshit of console delivery systems seems to be EPIC.

Anyway since the last patch was 30 GB for a 25GB game, the whole thing is moot point.

It is 100% because they are multiple listed entities in their backend server. Player A owns beta access which allows download A. Player B owns the game which allows download B.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

People have been asking to play as a ghoul/super mutant for a while, and they have/had the ideal game to do it since there's no NPCs to require 3 separate recordings of dialogue for depending on which of the three the player is.

they would have to remake every animation players have for super mutants, therefore that wont ever happen

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

so is it in fact monster hunter with nukes

what does this mean

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

khy posted:

This game is seriously lacking in things I like in my Bethesda Open World RPGs but drat if the Fallout theme doesn't make me still tempted to play and buy.

But without mods, without companions, without other human NPCs and people to wander around talking to, I seriously think I'll end up bored or unhappy if I get it.

you lose nothing by waiting

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If 76 doesnt have server issues day on one hand thats great, on the other hand that might read as 'no one bought this'. Similar to stock earnings reports, hitting exactly expected isn't great news.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I cant wait to see the fallout from this games release

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

'A level 65 guy is trying out endgame content on day one'

Lmao really getting your moneys worth

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9wno2b/fallout_76_issues_and_feedback_thread

It begins.

Crippling bugs followed by 'thank you! I will pass this on to the bug team.'

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Im hearing differing accounts on whether the launcher version is actually patched. Stash size 400 is confirmed, many of the same issues confirmed. Apparently a mini update just changed the file version from beta to launch.

Will there be a day one patch that hasnt been pushed? Find out next time

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zelder posted:

If you hate this game fine, please do tell Bethesda, and tell anyone who might listen, in the threads where that's appropriate but why the hell come into our little fun threads and take a huge steaming dump all over our jocularity and upbeat view of the game? Jesus loving christ people.

That fun you're having? Its fake fun. You've been tricked into enjoying the game but actually you hate it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

The best part of the gently caress up of the launch is instead of turning off the servers and going "sorry sorry" or leaning in and opening the game for everyone, they just left it open to PC and are making consoles wait. Is it the worst decision? Could be. Could be.

Bethesda doesnt hold the keys to console servers, thats on sony and microsoft. Two companies who are slightly more competent

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bug reports on reddit posted:

Issues :

• One of the streamers, Oxhorn, picked up 3 Mirelurk Eggs from a clutch that had spawned two Hatchlings in the Mama Dulce location. For the rest of his session, he couldn't cook, drop or sell those.

• Same guy had two Power Armor frames in his inventory but the spare would disappear from the list when he equipped the first. It was still there when he unequipped the first. He tried to drop one of them and equip the other, which worked, but when he got out of one then entered the other his game crashed to desktop.

This game is a treasure

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fallout: 76 pipe rifles, 15 pipe shotguns and 49714 pipe pistols

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ultraviper posted:

My camp was deleted while I was sleeping last night.

I had my camp right across the river from flatwoods and it wouldn't even let me rebuild it where it used to be.

Then I switched servers, the area is somehow buildable again in this one, but my camp is still gone :saddowns:

Unless you make a 5x5 box your camp wont save

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stokes posted:

A lot of people (aka reddit, stupid metacritic reviews) are still treating this like a single player fallout game and are constantly bitching about the stash size, but they just can't seem to resist picking up that desk fan and oh look there's a typewriter over there and there's a back up gun for the back up gun of my back up gun and oh look there's a blunderbuss and hey I think I'll take that mr guts robot arm for the steel.

Ahh, so the way they want to play is not legitimate and should be discouraged?

The previous game heavily promoted junk hoarding, and this one does the same, except doesn't have the megaflops to support it lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The previous games definitely have weight management. I know this because it's the first thing I mod out. And yeah, people can totally play games the wrong way, what a silly notion. For instance, I knew a guy who beat Batman Arkham Asylum by just mashing punch for every single fight. Didn't upgrade a god drat thing. That person was wrong as hell.

Idk what your last part has to do with anything. Fallout 4 was a game that revolved around storing junk and collecting garbage. It made a whole base building minigame out of it and tied junk collecting into item upgrades.

Fallout 76 has the same framework of the camp system and item upgrades except you cant store enough junk. They've trained people to pick up everything valuable, but now they should discourage it because?

While Im sure there are some legitimate technical limitations, I think keeping the stash size small is meant to keep people constantly hungry for items. It keeps people on the junk treadmill and keeps them playing the game, at the cost of being hated pretty universally.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is sad because AWOP is terrible. Interiors Project is better and apart from the obnoxious scavenger hunts much less intrusive.

The fact that anyone can recommend awop or momod makes me wonder if we played the same grindy mess. Awop experience: enter a sewer and find a 10mm Handgun G thats like a regular 10mm but does triple the damage. Why

:shrug:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlimFlam Imam posted:

The Republic of Dave, the old wise tree, cave of children, NV locations outside of the story were garbage in comparison.

None of that made any god drat sense lol. Buncha nonsequitor npcs that really really stretch your suspension of disbelief if you have a pulse.

Im glad the current fallout, the 76th, moved away from trash like 'gary vault'

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://kotaku.com/players-have-already-found-a-ways-to-cheat-fallout-76s-1830473023/amp

has this been posted yet?

enjoy all the free nukes, nuclear launch codes are stored behind keyword ciphers :gonk:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

Anyone got a good location for Ballistic Fiber? My armor is falling apart!

Craft leather armor and break it down

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

So why are they limiting by weight and not by item number? Gonna fill my stash with one million holotapes just to spite them.

I know this because it's the exact same engine since morrowind - containers have a capacity set in weight, not item number. to do any differently would require rewriting code, which bethesda doesn't do!

Tenzarin posted:

I've only heard people sing country roads. It's really nice people don't just use the voice coms to hurl insults at each other in game.

jesus christ dude, are they paying you

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kedo posted:

does it ever get even remotely difficult?

Nope, next question.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The crazy thing is they had their beta which 100% unsold me on the game, and I cant be the only one. If they hadnt done that i might have been hyped for it. The fact people got 4+ hours of gameplay in and said hell yeah gimme more of THAT is interesting. Rdr2 and hitman 2 are out now, both are made by competent developers much more deserving of your $, hitman 2 especially

Simiain posted:

God help me, but i'm tempted to buy this lovely game I'll hardly touch.

Just buy some bourbon and watch a video of someone collect bear asses for hours and complain about the stash limit. Better use of $60 lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

I dont understand why this game is getting panned so hard like what did people expect?
They said immediately it isnt Fallout 5, and ive played worse multiplayer games this year.
Everyone complaining about bugs and poo poo like is it your first bethesda game?
I dont know why you even like fallout games in the first place if this game isnt delivering what you want from a fallout experience, like the only thing missing is the horrible story you already want to ignore by a second character.

You shouldnt write off bethesdas lovely coding or bad writing or bad game design. Plenty of games at least have some redeeming quality, this has none.

Fnv reminded people what fallout story and writing can be, f4 and f76 just poo poo the bed.

To quote dewey from malcolm in the middle, "I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Its opportunity cost. Thats 20 hours you didnt spend with your family, or taking a walk, or playing any of the great games released this month or in the last 20 years. You could play anything, and instead you picked the 76th fallout lol

Double lol at the people playing it solo, so youre not even utilizing the gimmick.

Wow classic should be out soon for much cheaper, thats a good way to get your bear rear end fixation cured