Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

You really want to see more Bethesda "cities"?

Washington was unironically one of my favorite areas in any bethesda game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did someone at bethesda really think that noted singleplayer sandbox games fallout needed to turn into battle royale rust clones?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like you can make the argument that fallout 3 is a big departure from Fallout 1 and 2 and it is, but, like, it's still relatable to the previous two games, it's still an RPG where you have a story that leads you out to explore a world full of smaller stories and your actions have an effect on those stories. The writing in 4 might be bad but there is still quite a lot of it in the game, and the setting is still quite strong in that there is a lot of narrative in the world design and the various camps you run across.

But what possible relation does a PVP MMO... whatever you call the rust-alikes have to that?

It's about as much a fallout game as fallout shelter was.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 12, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

yeah cause its a spin off like fallout shelter was

If it's a spinoff then fine but I am not at all convinced that bethesda is not dumb enough to decide this is where their games need to go now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frajaq posted:

bethesda tries to take a stab at a game out of their comfort zone and people go rabid

If you're going to take a stab out of your comfort zone I would suggest that it might be more productive to stab something other than caesar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

who is Caesar in this scenario? people keep saying poo poo like 'battle royale' who have apparently never even seen pubg but then they also keep saying poo poo like 'ark' which i was not even aware was a game people actually loving played. 'persistent shared world multiplayer' is not as crowded a design space as people are pretending and almost all of the games that are in it are neglected Steam: Early Access alphas.

A thing which has already been been stabbed a great deal.

The reason all the games in the genre are neglected early alphas is because it turns out that the genre has a very limited depth you can go to in it. I highly doubt that bethesda is going to break new ground.

Like really, what in the MMO space has not already been trod to death by many other games by much more original studios than bethesda?

An MMO space with no NPCs, as well.

Like what space is there that isn't already either Wurm, World of Warcraft, Rust, or PUBG?

That's basically the spectrum of pacing and content in the MMO genre, and they're all, basically, poo poo. Or even if you like them there are other games doing that. And the thing about online only games is that there is very little room there, because you need high playercounts for them to be worth playing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 13, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think perhaps the crossover between people who really like the game that fallout 4 is, and the people who like online only pvp rust-alikes is probably not that great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you think there aren't a lot of people who cleared out corvega factory in fallout 4 but wished their friends could have helped?

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last 'good' story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.

I never wanted to do a version of the corvega factory populated by MMO enemies and without any of the pacing you get from a singleplayer fallout, or without any mods, with a bunch of random screaming children I don't know, no.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 13, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, fallout 4 isn't a very good shooter in the base game. Hell even with mods it's not a very good shooter, but it exists in a world with a lot of stuff in it, while the quality of the writing is never going to win any awards, there's a lot of story content in the game, which if they're going to have no NPCs is daft.

More to the point, I never wanted to roll up to the corvega factory and find that someone else had cleared it out yesterday and there's nothing to do there right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content. now, i don't think that abandoning them entirely is the right call (even if i'm sure we will see some kind of radiant quest analog in f76), but guess what happens when you do all the quests and talk to all the people? you're done. you're out of poo poo to do.

I have literally never done that in any fallout or bethesda game. They put an enormous amount of content in them in that respect.

If you play a bethesda game to content exhaustion you will have played it for hundreds of hours, I would expect, with that sole goal. More probably you will never approach that point because you will have played it to fun exhaustion before you run out of content.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, bethesda games have already done an excellent job of producing enough exploration content, tempered with questing and self-driven objectives like the FO4 settlement system and finding unique equipment, that "oh but what if we got rid of most of that and replaced it with multiplayer" is not something I can imagine very many people wanting. How many people really play bethsoft games and complete all the plot or explore all the space in them already?

If I was to ask for anything in future ones it would be more things like the FO4 settlement system, which was a surprisingly good addition even if it benefitted enormously from mods to expand its gameplay functionality, and more good environments such as the ones shown in the trailer for 76.

But I really, really didn't need them to take out the other stuff that's good about the game and add in MMO mechanics instead, in the process of doing that.

The environments look excellent, but the rest looks like an enormous step backwards if you enjoyed previous bethesda games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frugalmaster posted:

Unfortunately single player games are kind of a losing prospect in today's world. The kids of today don't want that stuff anymore. It's all multiplayer now. Why do you think two lovely TF2 Clones are pretty much the most profitable games in the world right now?

I am fairly sure that Bethesda's normal style of singleplayer games are not a "losing prospect" as much as they are "generally wildly successful".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's more of a semi modern default fantasy setting because it's tolkien except everyone is horny and covered in blood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You say that but I couldn't finish it because I got so bored of it and the writing was so godawful that I couldn't stand any more of it.

Bethesda writing might be a bit uninspired but it's not actively repellant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if you're going to make a fallout spinoff game I'd have much prefered new vegas HD in the fallout 4 engine tyvm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frugalmaster posted:

How about an isometric title from Obsidian?

I don't really like isometric RPGs and Obsidian have already make a bunch of them. I would enjoy more of their attention to story in a first person fallout title though.

steinrokkan posted:

The deep quests in the mobs respawing machine.

You ain't wrong, but DAO was the only CRPG of its sort before Obisidian started making its own games, so it was easy to forgive the garbage story and cumbersome prose.

When I played it I thought "hey it's neverwinter nights but with less stuff and worse writing".

So, eh I really wasn't taken with it at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Thankfully humans only made up 100% of NPCs in the Fallout franchise up until now, so there is plenty of space for Bethesda to build a great dynamic narrative.

I mean replacing all the NPCs with actual robots would make the animations more believable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, that's another thing, can't wait to see what kind of poo poo they try to flog you in this MMO given their previous attempts at monetizing their games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao Bethesda has like, some of the least intrusive monetization that exists. have you even played a game with actual loot boxes?

destiny 2 at launch would have given you a loving grand mal if you think fallout 4 is bad.

No, because I don't want to play a game with ingame monetization, that's part of why I have hitherto bought bethesda games.

And also why I think bethesdas monetization efforts are poo poo, because they're poo poo in all games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Popete posted:

In lieu of what? You didn't honestly think Bethesda was going to announce Fallout 5 at this years E3 did you? Fallout 4 came out in 2015, Bethesda has always alternated TES/Fallout games so if we didn't get Fallout 76 there just would have been no Fallout game until 5 comes out in like 3 more years.

I'd rather they not bother, to be perfectly honest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've watched a bunch of them on youtube and they all look utterly miserable to play.

I did play dayz when it was the new amazing mod which I would argue is the precursor to the rust-alike and battle royale genres. It is also utterly miserable to play.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

battle royale games are literally deathmatch. You wait in a matchmaking room, round starts, 30 minutes later it's done and you do it again. I don't see how that format has any bearing whatsoever on what they've announced.

Again I make the dayz comparison, which I think was key to popularizing the idea, I think, and is actually a bit of a bridge between the two. it's much slower paced than a battle royale game but has the same pack rat kind of idea, and is still just a deathmatch, the big change is the closing wall but the zombies also act as a sort of hostile environment aspect. But they also made dayz modes with base building, which is much more like the conan/ark/rust style of doing things, and those games also are primarily deathmatch, the pacing is just different.

So I think I will always make a comparison between the two genres, because they share a heritage I think, and many common elements.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People often complain about bad things, yes. Half assed content, bought blind, and lazy imitations of other games with a different lick of paint are all objectionable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

even when they're not relevant to whatever is happening? regardless of whatever you want to say, this game has literally nothing to do with battle royales, and barely has anything to do with dayz. it's just a semi-shared world game. they've existed for a long time.

I mean this kind of does sound like just DayZ but in fallout?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normally when they add new mechanics most of them at least sound good in theory, and often turn out well.

Whereas "fallout but if it was an MMO styled after a genre which has been at best mediocre" does not sound very good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a difference between not encountering multiplayer before and thinking it is a woefully bad idea for a bethsoft game.

Like I have never, ever looked at an elder scrolls or bethsoft fallout and though "I really wish this was an MMO."

And I have super duper never ever thought "I wish this was an MMO that was like Rust"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like if you come at this the other way, you played the Bad Game Rust, and thought "I wish this was better" and then someone said "hey those guys who make fun sandbox worlds at bethesda are making a rust clone in the fallout universe" I can see why you would be happy, because it is probably going to be a massive improvement on most of the other games in that genre in that sense.

But if you come at it having played the previous bethesda RPGs I think your reaction is more likely to be "why"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is doubly a shame because that effort could have been spent making a game with far less stupid design choices.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's anything like the other games in its class it will sell a bunch of copies and then everyone will shortly say "hey this game is poo poo and half finished" before buying the next one because players who buy games of that type appear to be very stupid.

(you can't tell whether I'm talking about fallout games or survival games)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

maybe if all you play is like Roblox, but the average person playing an online video game is not out to get you.

Uhhhhhhhh...

The entire point of online videogames is to be a massive twat to everyone else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dogstile posted:

Yeah man, I totally remember how the last 50 games I played were all entirely populated by neo Nazis. Actual neo Nazis! They weren't saying it to piss me off because it was an easy thing to troll with at all!

Does it make an enormous difference to your gameplay experience if someone is doing it to annoy you or is simply inherently unpleasant?

Because either way my experience of multiplayer gaming is that other players are among the worst parts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Otacon posted:

For anyone who dropped $200 to preorder the helmet edition of the game (before it sold out 11 hours after the E3 announcement) here's your new toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYmCqB8ej8Y

For what it's worth, I didn't preorder nor will I. But I might pick up this game (soon) after launch if things sound good.

By the time I'm 90 and we're on fallout 26 or something I might be able to collect an entire suit of power armour and a pipboy if I had a million pounds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose maybe this might be interesting in a GTAV kind of way though if that game's playerbase is anything go by it's going to be much more palatable offline.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You wear your pipboy on your offhand to balance out the massive amount of wanker's muscle you get on the other arm because what the gently caress else are you going to do underground?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

it would've made sense for raiders to comment on it constantly and wanting to steal it but you know, hindsight

Dunno, you can't eat it or smoke it or shoot it, so they don't seem like they'd be interested.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

What if you could gently caress it tho

Well presumably you can, but only once, then it's stuck in there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah one of them makes you start hallucinating, a bunch of hosed up not real poo poo appears.

The Vaults were awesome, wish there were more of them. poo poo I loved the Metros in 3 too, was always cool learning how to navigate the city from below and then heading topside into God knows what Talon company!

The sheer fun of exploring the city is why I think 3 is still my favorite (after Wanderers Edition fixed it anyway), despite all the other objectively terrible parts of it.

Washington was really well done in 3 I thought, I wish they'd made Boston more like it to be honest, though I did like the verticality of Boston (though not the framerate).

I spent a lot of time in there and I still didn't have a very good map of the place, just the sheer amount of space in that tiny map section is impressive and really adds to the game.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. the enclave is basically the CIA/DOD/Pentagon with even less ethics. I can believe they would do that kinda poo poo. i mean there stuff is pretty down to earth compared to umbrella.

Given what the real US intelligence lot got up to in the 50's and 60's with MKULTRA and poo poo, "that's stupid why would anyone do that" isn't really a criticism of what Fallout's equivalent might do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Hey there's a baseball field in Boston, wow. There's a desert in Nevada?

I still get a weird feeling whenever I see pictures of the big solar thermal plant they built in nevada, I think if I ever went there I would be constantly expecting a giant laser cannon to hit me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Other than being Fallout 4, there's no PC issues that I'm aware of

This, basically. You get a lot of modding capability but also steam updates the game whenever beth adds something to the CC, which might break your mods or something I dunno, I haven't really played it since they started doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fallout should have vehicles and you should be able to mod them like robots in FO4, that would be a loving ace addition to the genre. The vehicles it should have are cars, speedboats, big boats, motorbikes, and trains.

Make Mad Max Fallout. I want to chase down a sentry bot on the highway and ram it off the road in one of those sick nuclear corvegas so I can pull out its fusion cores and strap its minigun to my car.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 22, 2018