Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've modded my way into Tale of Two Wastelands + project nevada, and while I'm having a hell of a good time, Fallout 3/NV combat is a goddamn disaster. Having inertia-less enemies ice skate sideways and head shot you while your guns sometimes fire correctly does not make for smooth and rewarding gameplay. I'll also never understand why I get a better framerate with less stutter in FO4 than in 3.

It's neat to play 3 and New Vegas interchangeably, though. 3 is a playground of murder set pieces and combat xp while NV occasionally asks you to make a meaningful decision or pay attention to dialogue, and actually seems to take place in a setting. The contrast has never been so stark to me.

TTW starts you off in the capitol wasteland, and I've spent nearly my entire play through thus far thinking about what choices I'm going to make when I get to New Vegas, since there are no actual decisions in Fallout 3 if you're roleplaying as anything other than a serial killer. It's kind of insulting to call this a role playing game at all. Bethesda does know how to make some fun set pieces, though. I can also appreciate their approach to some of the DLC. Operation Anchorage is a fun break from giving a poo poo about looting, weapon condition, not starving, etc, although it does give you absurdly powerful rewards for a DLC you can complete as you first action after escaping Vault 101. The Pitt may contain the only instance of morally grey decision making I've encountered thus far in the entire game. Point Lookout is at least an interesting setting, and playing with Project Nevada strips away some of the absurd health pools enjoyed by redneck mutants.

Mothership Zeta is trash garbage, though, and I don't have a single positive thing to say about it.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Do you have the NV4GB patch? By default 3 and NV are capped at 2 GB of ram.

I do. As well as the NV stutter remover. I was getting around 20 FPS in the exterior sections of Operation Anchorage.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the multiple idiosyncrasies inherent in the F3/NV engine are comfortingly familiar for me, but i played both of those games at launch and have sunk hundreds of hours into each of them and at this point i don't even notice them any more. hearing someone else approach it with a fresh perspective is amusing, but your point is also an interesting one.

i don't remember movement in F4 having actual inertial either? like, you can always move at your max speed (it doesn't take time to build up from jog > run) and i don't recall traveling downhill including unintentional movement (you can stop on a dime even on a downward slope). did F4 actually have movement inertia, or did it just conceal it better than two games from '08 and '10?

What I really mean is that there's a combination of factors that make NV/3 combat feel janky and not always completely fair, especially when you're coming back from FO4 (which is not, by any means, a masterpiece of rewarding combat, but still a vast improvement.) Among them are:

1. Enemies movement is fast and unnatural; enemies can, like the player, start and stop on a dime and change direction almost instantly, all the while being able to fire at you with near total disregard for anything other than avoiding incoming grenades. This makes it really hard to lead them or predict their movement at all, making close quarters fights very frustrating.

2. Enemy reaction time (assuming they're standing) is basically instant. They go from pointing away from you, studying the nearby rubble to pointing at you and shooting in the blink of an eye.

3. Weapons don't always fire like the should. I have 300+ hours in Fallout New Vegas and I still can't get a feel for the fire rate of the service rifle. Sometimes it fires as fast as you can click. Sometimes it doesn't fire at all. The 9mm pistol is also a big offender, while on the other hand the laser pistol seems to fire perfectly every single time. A mystery.

4. It's really hard to tell if you missed, and if so by how much. Bullets are invisible, bullet hole decals are hard to see and terrain hit effect don't have the sort of immediate visual clarity that they tend to in modern FPSes. Energy weapons are a strong exception.

5. VATS is a goddamn mess. I just fired nearly 50 9mm rounds at 95% to hit on a nukalurk's face and hit exactly 0 of them, with no hits to the rest of his body and no object inbetween us. And that happens all the drat time.

6. Your movement isn't always very exact. There's definitely some input lag when you move, stop, or sometimes when you change a weapon or fire a weapon.

7. Grenades work through some walls, but not through others. I've long since given up on making sense of where a grenade lands vs who they hit and how much damage they inflict. Still fun as hell.

8. Prop and terrain hit boxes are inconsistent. Sometimes you can fire through holes, sometimes you can't. Sometimes cover is just as tall and wide as it seems, sometimes it isn't.

9. No loving iron sights in 3, are you serious? What the gently caress? That's fine, I guess, if your reticle gave any indication as to the accuracy/spread of your weapon but you don't even get that. Solved in New Vegas, but fuuuuuck

Granted, these are individually small complaints. Not all of these things are constant problems, and Fallout 4 certainly didn't solve all of them, but taken together with inexplicably bad frame rates, micro stutters, and general glitchy-ness it can be a disappointing experience in a game that's 75% shooting the other mans, 20% fiddling with inventory and 5% having a story happen to you. And it's not like we didn't know how to make satisfying and fun FPS combat in 2008.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 30, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Leroy Dennui posted:

I don't know if you're already taking this into account, but weapons do jam/won't always fire in NV if they're in poor condition. Also keep service rifles only as repair fodder for the best gun, the Survivalist's Rifle.

I don't fire anything if it's below 75%. I'm a weird perfectionist about that. I didn't know that, though. I knew the reload animations would get extra steps or the like, didn't know it effected firing.

Also strongly agree. Service rifles are trash for several reasons.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

New Vegas combat is just Fallout 3 but better. I’d say the first Deus Ex and Vampire are far worse combat wise than F3/NV.

My first thought was Deus Ex, but if we're giving slack to games based on year of release, VtMBL probably wins.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Halser posted:

fire rate in semi auto weapons is a mess because of the way inputs are buffered and detected. If you just click as fast as you can, a ton of those clicks won't be registered at all. That makes the firerate random, annoying as hell.

It's the same poo poo that causes lever action weapons to randomly not fire at all, and then randomly fire two/three shots almost instantly without any input whatsoever.

Huh, I had always wondered. Clears up a lot, thanks.

Also explains why I always naturally gravitated towards automatics and bolt actions, despite preferring semi-autos in pretty much every other game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

how does anyone fight things in new vegas without VATS is beyond me

if anything, I might just install F4 just to see this whole new decent shooty experience (and ignore the story)

Well, it helps if the distance from you to your target is less than 5 feet or more than 100 yards. Anything in between is a crapshoot.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Brotherhood of Steel in FO4 are great if only because it makes it really easy to role play as a Space Marine. Synths? Necrons. Super Mutants? Orks. Ghouls? Mutants. Raiders? Chaos cultists. Gunners? Traitor Guard. Minute Men? Also traitor guard. Put the "explosive" legendary on all your ballistic weapons and they're bolters. Cleanse the wasteland for the emperor!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

most of these are pretty much endemic to the engine as well and the combat is only really bearable by you having a dece amount of health to absorb all the janky misfires. which is why I've always been sceptical of the utility of those xXhARDCORE cOMBATXx mods

Your skepticism is well placed. I've been playing with Project Nevada, and while I think it's an overall improvement - even to combat - you absolutely will die/take extra damage due to jank. Not *too* frequently, but enough times that the cracks in the engine get more difficult to ignore.

isndl posted:

I needed to be aiming at the rear end and the head.

Words to live by.

I just tried to snipe a super mutant with the gauss rifle and he was flickering, naruto-style, between two positions as he patrolled. I shot the wrong image, and the real super mutant pegged me with a missile, such is the strength of Gamebryo style ninjitsu.

Maybe explosives are the answer to all of Fallout 3's problems.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 3, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Best thing is trash can Carla will steal your power armour if it has a core in it and sanctuary comes under attack while she’s there and then you can’t ever get it back without reloading a save and she’ll just hang out in it all game

This happened ~5 hours into my first play through, but at Red Rocket. Hilarious and frustrating.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Playing through NV with a new character. Someone convince me to play Honest Hearts again, instead of just looking up the Cave Father's journal online and calling it a day? For reference I don't use Guns except for shotguns, and I don't use melee/unarmed, so A Light Shining in Darkness/.45 weapons/Yao Guai Gauntlet is not all that appealing a reason.

It kind of makes HH seem like a weak point in terms of how DLC affects the main game. DM makes you rich/gives you a long term fountain of stimpacks and repair kits. OWB has a ton of great special perks, equipment of varying use, and The Sink. LR has some great equipment and a free SPECIAL point, and can radically effect your standing with Mojave factions. HH gives you... .45 weapons. Which are stellar and fun, don't get me wrong, but they seem like an underwhelming reward if you're not a Guns-centric player.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, it also give you The Desert Ranger Combat armor, which is a game changer at early levels: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Desert_Ranger_combat_armor

Heck, I liked the way it looked so much I kept it as my main armor right up to the end game.

Oooh, I forgot about that. Yeah. I want that. I already have comparable armor but it looks like poo poo by comparison.

Wolfsheim posted:

You could play it the way far too many people did due to a glitch and just open fire on Follows-Chalk the first time you see him, then go kill Joshua and Daniel and call it a day :haw:

Ha! I'd never heard of that. I think I'll just play it again because it's a nice break from the generally stressful mechanics of the other three DLCs *and* I have the animal friend perk, so I think that'll be funny.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I think (and I'm mostly just reiterating Hbomberguy points) that getting power armor and decent weaponry early on is just fine in concept, it's just that Bethesda doles out 10mm ammo and fusion cores like candy, so it's not much trouble to be in power armor 24/7 and use the 10mm starter pistol consistently until the mid game.

In a situation where ammunition is more scarce, I welcome and support Fallout 4's decision to give you power armor in the first real mission.

It's like they only halfway fixed the degradation system from 3. Not quite truly balanced, yet.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

What's everyone's favorite method of gaming fallout for massive early game advantages?

For 3 it's as simple as playing operation anchorage at level 2. Hilariously powerful weapons and armor + 5 bonus sets of power armor to sell once the dust clears.

For New Vegas I repair and sell the 8 or so energy weapons sitting around on ghoul corpses at repconn launch site.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

On that subject, does anyone really want to use sanctuary as their home? It's not close to anything, and has nothing interesting to make it worth bothering with aside from space to build water purifiers, I guess.

Sanctuary is my canvas settlement where I can express my inner sheet metal architect.

But no, I set up in Red Rocket until I can liberate hangman's alley, every other settlement is just for fun/water profit/artillery coverage.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

buglord posted:

Eh I mean they're sorta excused for it when you make it past the no-mans-land while they're firing artillery at you. I forget the reason why exactly they isolated themselves at the airbase, but they seem to be decent people as a whole. I've only ever approached them as a NCR rep or as a Mr.House Replacement, so maybe they act differently if you're legion?

e: What was that shipping boat in FO4 where there were raiders speaking Dutch or whatever? I guess some players knew dutch and started feeling really guilty once they figured out what they were screaming about while you were blasting away at them.

Gunners, my friend. You're thinking of Boomers.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm playing Dead Money on TTW Project Nevada Hardcore and thank the dear lord above I thought to get the health regen implant and rad regeneration perk before I jumped into this bullshit. It's not enough to nullify the corrosive effect entirely, but it mitigates 2/3 of it. I've also put myself at a permanent 400 rads for the entire duration of the DLC because doctor's bags are too expensive. I can't think of another part of the game where turning off hardcore is more of a temptation.

It doesn't help that since I've gotten to the Sierra Madre, I get a CTD on every third loading screen. All I wanted was a magic machine that spits out unlimited stimpacks and weapons repair kits :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone should make a mod that follows this up with new items appearing in the Sink every certain number of days, and you get to choose whether to accept or reject it based on its stats or the described effect it has. Like weapons, armor, drugs, or even things that affect merchants or faction reputation.

I would really like having to decide whether having access to a weapon is worth letting legion assassins also have access to the weapon. A grenade that explodes in a shower of cazadors instead of shrapnel? It'd be a tough choice.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

2house2fly posted:

It seems to be half of why RPG players are into it at all. Any discussion I see of Morrowind and Baldur's Gate 2 mentions their favourite strategies for trivialising the combat right from the start, and of course Fallout 2 players beeline for San Francisco

It's a whole 'nother game. I try to avoid learning about system-breakers when I first try a game, but after beating NV 6-7 times, now, the cracks are already visible and I want to know what's underneath.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It's almost bizarre that Dead Money was the first DLC. There's the zombies, the holograms, the gas, the radios, the even worse gas, the landmines and bear traps, and you don't even get to bring weapons or armor. Specialize in energy weapons? No ammo, gently caress you. Repair skill low? gently caress you. Speech low? Your friend dies. Don't have light step or adamantium skeleton? lol gl hf. This DLC even gives you ammo for weapons that aren't anywhere in the Sierra Madre.

And then you get to Honest Hearts with 100 carry weight worth of the best weapons, ammo, and armor sierra madre gold can buy and whoops - turns out it's more than enough to bring swift death to every single animal and tribal in Zion.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In case you wanted an excuse to debate Fallout 3's merits as a game and as a Fallout game again, here's a new video essay that argues in favor of it. It's 2 hours long and to be honest, I can think of a rebuttal for almost every point brought up so far, but still, interesting perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

I don't *really* want to listen to two hours of a person being wrong, but what the hell, let's do this.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be honest, I think it's a good summary of the mindset that people who enjoy Fallout 3 have, even though in some cases he reaches so hard in attempting to find ways to defend its worst aspects or compare it favorably against New Vegas and 4, that it kind of loses a lot of punch.

Still, as someone who enjoys Fallout 3 as a dumb fun exploratory game and New Vegas as an interesting and deep RPG (with flaws that ultimately don't *really* hurt the core experience) I find it hard to get too annoyed even when the arguments are shaky.

I agree. I think Fallout 3 does have plenty of good merits. I understand entirely how people enjoy this game as a shallow, brainless arpg where you explode raiders with your junk gun. I enjoyed it on exactly those terms when it came out. Even today when I play TTW I appreciate the dense urban hellscape of FO 3 and how it rewards you for ignoring the main quest entirely and setting out at random to mine the subways and genuinely interesting set pieces. If you want to just wander and kill ghouls for 3 hours without worrying a bit about how your actions affect the world around you, it's great, and in that way I think it has a nice mechanical yin to NV's yang.

Trying to defend it on any other dimensions, however, is stretching it beyond the point of credibility. The story is a meandering garbage fire that happens to you rather than because of you, the characters are terribly written and one-dimensional, and the capital wasteland badly needed a design lead rather than a guy who haphazardly stitched together 500 completely unconnected set pieces into a game world. It's doubly bad because Bethesda (and game critics) (and Many A True Nerd) tried and still try to sell us on these blatantly untrue narratives about a game that could just be lauded as a fun, if deeply flawed arpg sandbox.

I do give credit to Bethesda for the game they created. It's broken and feels unfinished, but the sheer amount of work they put into translating Fallout into 3D is astounding, and I have to wonder just how good NV would have been without that foundation.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, I know that exact place. You can even see the edges of the gas station and a Viper ambush behind the billboard over the hill!

And I may have my locations mixed up, but shouldn't he be standing knee deep in fire ants?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

You know, I was just looking though some SuperBunnyHop videos on youtube and he makes a fairly convincing argument that now (err... late 2015) is the time for Fallout spin-offs to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnedb7XKycc

One of the central arguments is that Fallout spinoffs is what gave us New Vegas, but I suppose "Brotherhood of Steel" is in and of itself an effective counter argument.

It makes me think of Games Workshop's "Everyone gets the IP!" gambit from the past couple of years, which actually seems to paid off in that ~30 bad to middling Warhammer games have come out in the past few years, but they've been effectively glossed over in favor of the 5 or so that were actually good.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Is there a good reason to do Honest Hearts before Old World Blues?

I'm level 25 and I seem to remember that enemy scaling in OWB gets a little crazy after 30, but HH stays pretty even.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You get Desert Ranger armor and the Survivalist's rifle. Armor is cool but the rifle is my favorite gun in the game

Oh, I'm going to get both, for sure, but I think they'll have to wait so I can finish owb before it turns into bullet sponge nightmare times

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I did Old World Blues before Honest Hearts, the one problem with doing that is this: after playing OWB playing HH will be very, very, VERY easy. Like, HH was designed to be played at like level 15 and if you role up into Zion at level 30 with the armor and energy weapons you get in OWB, well, the White Legs are going to be pathetically easy to kill.

Which kinda creates an unintended plothole:

Daniel: Oh no! The white legs are going to destroy Zion! And there's no way to defeat them without destroying the innocence of the sorrows by forcing them to fight!!!!

Courier: uh, yeah there is, just let me do it myself. I've been disintegrating them constantly since I got here, I'm pretty sure I wiped out half their tribe just looking for those lunch boxes and maps you wanted me to find.

Story is still good though.

Yeah... I kind of figure that'll be the case. HH is the one chill DLC, so I guess I don't mind. I play it for the story and the cool guns, the enemies have never put up much of a fight even at level 10.

I wonder, though; would it be fun to do a high-level naked run of HH? Just show up with basic clothing and procure everything on site? I think that'd be neat. Alternatively, take the weight limit to the extreme of like 10 lbs so you can show up with a crappy gun, some ammo, and a couple bottles of water.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

had somebody make a comment to me about how the NCR is the "good guy" faction in NV

lol just lol if you didn't identify mr. house as being the only moral solution to new vegas' problems:
he wants the Legion destroyed
he sends the NCR back to Cali which actually allows them to re-consolidate power and stop overextending resources
he institutes a benevolent technocracy which ultimately recreates manned space travel and colonizes the stars

the NCR is only the "good guys" if you're 100% a fan of US-style imperialism and can't imagine why a group trying to return to that method of rule might be a bad idea long term

Lol if you think House rule ends in anything other than Bioshock, only worse.

edit: agreed 100% about NCR, though

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So I've also been inspired to play though Fallout 2 for the first time. I skimmed the last few pages to make sure that I'm going in mostly blind, but spoilers aside, what are some must-have patches/mods for the game?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

8one6 posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands also means when you get tired of DC you're just a train ride away from New Vegas.

This is unironically the best part. If you want to kill a lot of things with no consequence and wander aimlessly from place to place, you go to the capital wasteland. If you want to actually have an effect on a story and make role playing decisions, you go to the Mojave. They make for an unexpected Yin and Yang of Fallout.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Why would they go through all this "please stand by" nonsense for a remaster or a switch port? I feel like that warrants an off-handed comment during the conference, not all this.

But then again, it's not a big sexy website like they did for the announcement of 4, and it's only been 3 years since then. I would believe a spin-off game is in the works, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be Obsidian, since they've been pretty busy as it is.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Oh wow, it's fallout: battle royale coming to the nintendo switch

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So if it's a Fallout 3 remaster in the FO4 engine, that would at least fix the gunplay and make it prettier.

It wouldn't solve the fact that the writing, story, pacing, and world building are trash garbage but whatever.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

New Fallout 4 Holotape Game: Skyrim!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

The only cities left I feel are distinctive enough for a Fallout game would be New York, New Orleans,
and maybe Miami and Chicago? I guess? I could see Bethesda doing Philadelphia, too, since they seem to have a thing for the American Revolution.

There are plenty of places that could make good set pieces for DLC like Nashville/ORNL, Coney Island, Yellowstone, Route 66, even parts of Texas or Montana.

Bethesda makes a lot of meat out of American tourist meccas and scientific centers of the 1950s, and I think there's a lot to plumb along those lines from the place I mentioned above.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

seattle 1962 worlds fair

Honestly, Seattle in general wouldn't be bad. Couple of nationally recognizable landmarks, interesting and varied natural landscape, etc. I could see it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It's a shame we've already hosed the goat in terms of the Nuka-Cola headquarters, it could have truly come into it's own as a Fallout Universe Coca-Cola analogue.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

I've posted about it before, but I'd love to see a Waterworld-esque, pirate themed game set in the half sunken remains of Honolulu. You could bring back the Kings as they follow their prophet's pilgrimage to Hawaii.

That's a drat good idea.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

You gotta admit, the response to the "what do they eat?" shandification video being 'gently caress you, have an entire superfluous game mechanic about what they eat you pricks' is pretty funny.

It is pretty funny. I have to give Bethesda credit for listening to complaints about 3 and trying to improve on the formula - which they totally did - even if it wasn't quite the Fallout game *I* wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the main story is a shitpile but a good portion of the side content and DLCs (far harbor and nuka world in particular) are actually well done

I didn't like the main story at all, but the combat mechanics, animations, voice acting (main character aside) weapon customization system, settlements, and survival mode are all great, in my opinion. I'll never know why they decided to drop the skill system and gently caress with the perks the way they did, though. And as much as I think the main story is rear end, I think it's an improvement over 3.