Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dongicus posted:

It's good that you have a positive outlook for the games you enjoy. I think that's important. However it's clear, at least to me, that Bethesda Games Studios will never make a good Fallout game. They will never make a good fps. They'll never make a good dungeon crawler. They are a jack of all trades for mediocre game design and will never produce a game of genuine quality.

i would say, more than that, they're a jack of all trades for batshit unchecked ambition.

like, the whole problem with Bethesda games is that they're punching several weight classes above their weight in what they go for, meaning they don't have the ability to properly polish anything if they want to get something out the door. if Bethesda made something smaller-scale, maybe something more along the lines of a Borderlands than an Elder Scrolls, we'd probably see something genuinely good out of them; the problem is they only want to make giant loving behemoth open-world games with a million things to do and dynamic radiant AI and settlement-building and player homes and dynamic quests and et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, Rockstar is probably the only company that's even remotely capable of making stuff on the scale Bethesda goes for, and... not only are their games janky as gently caress too, but they also have to dump loving comical amounts of money into them and they basically only put out one game a decade now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dongicus posted:

NV, 1, and 2 are games that stick with people. if you mention FNV in a thread on here people will talk about it for pages. You'll never see people online still discussing whatever bullshit happened with teh epic liam neeson plot 3 had.

honestly this isn't entirely true, people were quoting Liberty Prime for loving years

Dongicus posted:

Yeah I can agree with that. Do you think they'd make a good linear rpg? Say, like Mass Effect style.

yes. frankly, i think that's what they need to do; a lot of the problems with 4's writing are that they're trying to find a weird middle ground between that and the open-world behemoths they're apparently contractually obligated to make, and if they'd just straight up made it a linear RPG it probably would have worked out really well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wolfsheim posted:

Nah Bethesda is good at what they do, because if they weren't they wouldn't make a comically large amount of money doing it and someone else would be doing it better to make all the same money. GTA games aren't really comparable because their big open world only exist to shoot the thing or look at the thing, there's no real interaction beyond that. It's basically nothing like Skyrim/etc outside of 'world big.'

this has been... sort of changing over the years, and I would definitely classify GTAV (and especially GTA Online) as a sort of "lite" version of Bethesda-style open world games. they're not quite there yet, but they've been moving in that direction since roughly San Andreas (which is probably still the high water mark for real interaction with the world beyond shoot thing/look at thing in the GTA series, now that I think about it- GTAV is mostly impressive for managing to cram most of what was in SA back into their new pretty engine).

and i would say that bethesda mostly makes poo poo-tons of money for the fact that there's no real competition. like, you have Piranha Bytes games, I guess, but if you're already cold on bethesda because of their jank, holy lord you are in for some poo poo with PB games. The Witcher maybe, but that's more linear and smaller-scale. and at the same time, it's almost impossible to actually make any real competition because of the loving absurd amounts of money, time, and manpower required to make a good open world game.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 31, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

They're the first choice of their respective criteria, but the game doesn't specify the courier as any particular gender or race, so "I can select those" isn't really a silver bullet.

i think a lot of people are wired to take the default as the "canon" option because of years of playing stuff like JRPGs where everyone's default name is their canon name (like, you can name everyone in Earthbound COCKS if you want but that doesn't mean Ness is now COCKS)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Plus Houston DLC for the obvious joke. "Man, the nukes really did a number on this place" "Oh, Houston wasn't nuked! It was just like this."

please God do this so I can see the end result of The Woodlands getting wiped off the face of this goddamn planet

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Nah, give agency to the player, let you do it. Megaton, but with reason.

Oh man woodlands could be amazing, all of the Stepford people turned ghouls, the HOA still ruling with an iron fist.

i would unironically bust a loving nut if Fallout 5 let me loving demolish this horrible abomination of a suburb by my own hands, holy gently caress

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MH Knights posted:

What is the Woodlands? Over-priced enclave of McMansions populated by yuppies?

MikeJF basically nailed it, but yeah, imagine an entire small town of what you described about an hour north of Houston "proper"

so it's a loving garbage place to live and it doesn't even have the saving grace of being close to cool poo poo, because driving downtown is kind of a bitch 75% of the time

e: also there's literally almost no people of color here and it's astoundingly creepy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And from what I'm aware, the Creation Engine is still basically built on that same lovely Gamebryo implementation, it's just a version with actual optimizations and improvements made to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as I've said: the problem with BGS is that they consistently overextend themselves, because they've built their brand around overextending themselves. if they made something that was outside their typical wheelhouse, it'd probably be loving great, and in fact all the Terminator games BGS made before the Elder Scrolls money-engine revved up are awesome. they just can't stop trying to make games that are way beyond their resources and capabilities.

e: like, if they had the ability to actually polish their games, we probably wouldn't have any of the complaints that we do about 3 and 4. the central problem with both games is that they didn't have enough time in the oven, and while NV didn't either, it at least had the benefit of working off an existing codebase and Obsidian spending the time they had really wisely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or, and bear with me here, we could make a game like Fallout 1 and 2 where you travel between different hubs and only occasionally stop in the empty wastelands.

or... maybe just do an open-world RPG with a similar scale to those games and "random encounters" working similarly, maybe with a way to get around the empty wastelands fast (ie a car) to make the lack of static stuff more tolerable?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah basically something like RAGE or Mad Max but with the unique mechanics everyone associates with Fallout is where the series really should go imo

keep the gameplay improvements of FO4, just... go in the opposite direction scope-wise

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ApeHawk posted:

I would not trust Bethesda to remaster New Vegas.

Skyrim Special Edition is literally just Skyrim, with no mechanical changes, ported to the newer engine with all its graphical and stability improvements. New Vegas Special Edition would probably be similarly fine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lt. Danger posted:

no one has an inherent irresistable urge to eat human flesh. that is not how it works! it is a nonsense

right. he doesn't. he's just batshit out of his mind.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

frajaq posted:

Yeah honestly everyone should check this hilarious interview Chris Avellone did with a Fallout fansite once.

quote:

SB: The older Fallout games, especially 2, seemed much more willing to explore darker subject matter such as rape, child killing, sex etc than Bethesda’s games do. Was there any line that you guys didn’t want to cross, and why do you think Bethesda shies away somewhat from this kind of content?

CA: Even if I knew, I couldn’t speak to Black Isle's and Bethesda's decisions. I really doubt there was much creative restrictions on F2 because no one was really at the wheel checking the content or managing the production. It doesn't matter, though, as most treatments I've seen of those subjects is for shock value, so I'm not sure anything narratively significant has been lost if they are reined in or passed over.

...er, did CA play New Vegas, the game in which one of the factions literally has institutionalized mass rape as a policy? Did the interviewers? Fallout hasn't gotten less dark and hosed up over time, if anything it's gotten darker outside of Bethesda's mainline stuff. Like, Fallout 2 is a really loving funny game in spite of the hosed-up poo poo in it, whereas New Vegas is kind of just grim unless you pop Wild Wasteland on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't disagree that Wild Wasteland is maybe more minor than it should be, but the stuff it does add is... honestly kind of hard to miss? Like, it's basically impossible to not find the fridge, Johnny Five Aces is pretty hard to miss, and if you play Old World Blues you've got a nasty surprise waiting that I'm gonna be genuinely shocked if anyone actually somehow didn't see.

e: also there's no loving way you're missing the Dead Money credits referring to it as "Dead Monkey."

e2: also the Planet of the Apes gag in Lonesome Road is... actually pretty missable, since you have to do something pretty dumb to see it, but it's loving hilarious and pretty blatant.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 21, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah it's frankly bizarre how many QoL things in NV that Bethesda just dropped. Like I can get them not writing as well as Obsidian, they don't have the writers, but why drop this stuff?

I would imagine it's because they upgraded to an entirely new engine after NV and would have had to reimplement all those features from scratch, and for FO4 getting basic functionality working was probably a higher priority than QOL. If there's a FO4 equivalent of New Vegas, or if FO5 is an incremental improvement like Oblivion -> Skyrim instead of another new engine, we'll probably see those features start sneaking back in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gaius Marius posted:

New Vegas had a ton of celebirty VA's. And to be honest most put in a pretty piss poor performance. Controversial opinion but I think Bethesda has legitimately better voice direction, Liam neeson and Pat Stewart didn't knock my socks off, but they put in a performance which is more then I can say for Chandler or Trejo.

i think the key difference is that the celebrity VAs they got are That Guys, not huge A-list Hollywood actors. like, Danny Trejo is not expensive.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wesley Crusher from TNG is not a huge A-list Hollywood actor on the level of Liam Neeson, even if he has fashioned himself as some kind of weird nerd-god in the past years.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Keeshhound posted:

My point was that the writing team was so disinterested in the lore that they were creating that they didn't even realize what they'd done. It's not a matter of consent; if this had been a story about human slaves taking refuge with a secret organization who said

"Ok, I've got a way for you to hide: we've got these spores of a weird parasitic worm that, if you inhale them, will gestate and hatch in about two hours. Then they'll burrow into your brain, and knock you unconscious almost instantly. After that, they'll take about five hours to devour all the parts of your brain that made you you, and then they'll grow into replacement parts and when your body wakes up, it'll be like a whole different person is inside of it. Your former masters will never find you."

No one would act like that was a reasonable suggestion. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't even work; one of the main story missions for the institute is tagging along with a courser to reclaim a synth that had it's memory wiped and became a raider.

And if someone on the writing team gave a drat, they could have done something interesting with that; maybe had a conversation with a synth who was considering the procedure, but as long as I'm wishing for poo poo that'll never come, I might as well ask for my build choices to have more meaning than locking me into a specific weapon type.

i think what kind of throws a monkey wrench in your analogy is that the mind-wiping is at least partly offered as a solution for synths who were used to replace people.

like, if the mind-wiping is to get rid of your Total Recall'd personality and let you be you instead of some random asshat who got murdered, that sort of changes the calculus compared to if it's just a thing to help them hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Azhais posted:

Short of installing dust I don't know why I'd need great survival anything, it's not like any fallout survival mode is resource short in any way

it's less survival-mode stuff, and more stuff you can craft with the survival skill to heal or get rid of debuffs, which is always handy