Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I'm playing through Far Harbor for the first time right now, and I am already struck by how much better it is than the other DLC. I just got Atom's Judgement, and now I'm running around making lightsaber noises while I flatten trappers with it. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

So my wife and I finally decided to give 76 a try, and while she's pretty underwhelmed so far (she keeps asking me for tips based on my many hours in NV and 4, and I have no goddamn idea how ANYTHING works in this game), I'm enjoying it for what it is, I suppose. It feels like a jankier Fallout 4 on a level 20 character, but maybe more new stuff will reveal itself as I level. The camp system somehow makes building houses feel worse than 4, but combat and VATS actually feel pretty good - when lag isn't making me rubberband around while trying to whack monsters with a baseball bat.

I'm still trying to get my arms around the game, so to speak, but is there a good wiki people would recommend? I've found a few, but they all seem to be in various states of disrepair, either only containing the barest of bare bones info, or referencing bugs from years ago as still being active. I mean, that absolutely sounds like a Bethesda game, but part of me wants to believe that these wikis are just out of date. I suspect the truth is probably that they are 100% up to date, and this game is still a rickety mess.

Playing a non-stealth melee guy finally feels fun, I'll say that. I could never really get into the berserker "sprint at ghouls with a supersledge" style of play in the previous 3D Fallouts, and for the most part it's really satisfying now, so that's a win in my book. :unsmith:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sell it at the train stations, unless you're bouncing off the cap limit.

If you're at the cap limit, leave poo poo in the cigarette machines outside train stations.

This explains SO MUCH. I ended up at a train station today and did my usual poke through the assorted containers out front. One had about a half dozen assorted legendary weapons and armor jammed into it. They were all crap, but it's all legendary scrip, and the legendary machine was right there. I assume whoever ditched that stuff was at the scrip cap.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

So let me ask you this: is the legendary scrip Purveyor mostly a way to get leveling gear? Since it's all random, I assume getting good endgame equipment through scrip is inefficient compared to other methods. I've gotten a couple pretty good leveling weapons from it (including a baseball bat I'm using right now), but I can see this being an effort in frustration when I'm trying to get something specific to an endgame build with the right legendary traits.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

To echo the above sentiments, I started playing the game very recently, and the new game disorientation lasted a very short time. Within a couple hours I was happily stumbling along, shooting irradiated wildlife and hoarding desk fans and typewriters.

Honestly, if this is your first Fallout game, you'll likely have a better experience than if you had played the other 3D Fallout games, since you'll have no preconceptions going in. It's a fun game, and worth trying out.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

So I only recently discovered that I could fast travel directly to public events, and I've been leveling by popping into Eviction Notice and hiding in the background chucking grenades at things while a bunch of high level people do all the real work, and I just scuttle around looting the dead. Up until last night, every legendary that dropped was level 50, but after hitting level 35 and doing the event, I got all legendaries adjusted to my level.

I don't know if that was something that got patched in, or I just hit the magic level where that happens, but it was sweet, I actually got two great weapon upgrades and two excellent pieces of armor. Feels good! :unsmith:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

So I just had my first random encounter with a scorchbeast, and as a melee build that sucked. I just had to run away. I'm sure it isn't helped by the fact that I'm only level 35, but this makes me wonder if flying enemies that stay out of reach of melee are A Thing later on. Are melee builds busted in the endgame? Do I just need to switch to guns? I'm pretty pot-committed to my 2H melee weapons so far, and I am getting the feeling changing directions now is going to be unpleasant...

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Thanks all, this is all very good advice. :unsmith:

I'm glad to have this thread as I blunder through this game. Almost 40, and I just learned how to select perks at level up that aren't associated with the SPECIAL I'm leveling. I'm good at games.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Sensenmann posted:

Until the next patch when Chainsaws can be level 50 and Legendary.

I missed this detail, that's fun. Has there been any indication as to whether chainsaws will get benefits from melee perks? I wouldn't object to replacing my super-sledge with a chainsaw and cosplaying Leatherface for a bit...

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Every so often the environmental storytelling in this game hits me just right and loving levels me. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and thus more sentimental or what, but I found the watchtower with the note from the guy going after his dog that was kidnapped by raiders, figured out where he went, and found them at the Freak Show and just...:sigh:

I went and hugged both of my extremely annoyed cats after that.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

well no ones going to bother to kidnap a stupid cat so you should be fine

I dunno, my cats are pretty rad.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

So I'm trying to figure out my objectives for increasing my damage output with 2H melee with no power armor. I'm currently 95, using Oathbreaker until I can get the war glaive plan, because with the cold head it still does more damage than any other weapon I've found, even with its so-so legendary effects. This is my current build: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f4678b5&d=s42sm2sn2ss2se2pe2e00ej2c72cu2i44ib2a72aa2am2a41l71lt2pj0eo1&lp=x21xb0&m=h

No real explanation for the build beyond I didn't want to mess with Bloodied builds, and I have explosive perks because I like throwing grenades at things.

As I see it, the main things I need to do beyond any tweaks to my build are to get a better weapon and continue gambling for good legendary effects on my secret service armor. I think the secret service underarmor is supposed to be the gold standard for melee builds, but I'm using Enclave under armor with STR/PER(?) because it didn't cost bullion, and I need every scrap of gold I can find now for getting modifications for the armor and, eventually, the jet pack.

What should I be aiming for at this point? I recognize that 13 points of my build are tied up in perks to compensate for not wearing power armor, but I also couldn't see any obvious ways to gas up my damage output with those perk points, so I'm not sure how much I'm actually missing out on.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Honestly, I'm startled whenever a nuke falls anywhere other than FSP or Monongah. The other day someone nuked Morgantown and I fully clutched my imaginary pearls. "You can DO that?!"

E: Which is to say, they had it coming.,

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Sensenmann posted:

I've chosen Iron Fist and Martial Artist because when it comes to Melee there is only one high damage route and that's unarmed. So a Power Fist, Gauntlet, Deathclaw or Mole Miner Gauntler.
If you want to go 1H or 2H drop IF and MA and slot in Gladiator/Slugger perks.

This caught my attention. What makes Unarmed superior?

Edited to add: your reply to my above post popped up while I was typing this question. I guess I ought to give Bloodied a try. Thanks Professor Sensenmann! :science:

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 1, 2022

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

hahaha holy poo poo y'all weren't kidding about Unarmed

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also the atomic shop should sell me the PA skins i want instead of a bunch of identical bullshit for the CAMP. i cant believe how bad bethesda is at taking my money.

This has also puzzled me. Wouldn't they make more money if everything was available all at once? I don't get having the tiny catalog available at a time, but then, I'm coming from Path of Exile and their expansive shop. Of course, they get by entirely on microtransactions, and Bethesda is Bethesda, so they have a few other revenue streams, I suppose.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Unarmed Trip Report: After taking the advice of the thread and switching from 2H to fists, I went from two-shotting most mobs with a war glaive to sprinting up to them shouting "ONE PUUUUUUUUNCH" and then...pretty much running straight through them. I'm using Party Boy now that I have room for it in my spec, so my standard MO is getting whiskey drunk and starting a bar fight with anything I see, and the damage difference really is night and day.

I upgraded from the power fist to an electrified gauntlet, which looks like the bastard child of a pneumatic hammer and a cattle prod, and thus is awesome. I don't know why this does so much more damage than a heated power fist, but it definitely does. I figured energy damage would be more heavily resisted than fire damage, but I guess I was wrong? I'm still gambling on legendary qualities to try and get Faster Swings, but at the moment +damage per mutation/stronger power attacks/+1 STR is doing work.

I haven't fought Earle since I switched, but I think the damage buff is noticeable on the Queen. It's definitely noticeable on anything smaller. I got jumped by a legendary scorchbeast last night and as soon as it landed it went from full health to lying in a hand-shaped crater like the end of Kung Fu Hustle in seconds. Unarmed is good. :thumbsup:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Oh drat, booze-bot has dailies? Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look into that.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

i flunked out posted:

Since you're an unarmed player Morality_Police, try fighting hosed up on nukashine. Its a ridiculously large buff and as long as you die while on it, you dont have to worry about teleporting.

but I don't like dying OR blackout teleporting!

In seriousness, that's a good tip, the main thing that has prevented me from using Nukashine is the blackouts, so I guess that's one way to avoid it.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Over the weekend I knocked out my Tadpole badges, yay full-size backpack! I ended up going with Medic, Entomologist, and Athlete. The only pain in the rear end part was finding ants to photograph. Learning there was literally no spot on the map guaranteed to spawn ants cracked me up, of COURSE there isn't! I ended up just running from point to point in the Cranberry Bog, trekking from Watoga High to Thunder Mountain power station to Appalachian Antiques until I got lucky. The Tea Time event would have been easier, but of course once I needed it, it never popped again all weekend, at least while I was playing.

I've been eyeing up the Possum badge requirements and they're...pretty demanding. Are any of the Possum badge rewards worth it? The refrigerated backpack mod one seems okay since it gives me back the perk points from Good With Salt, but honestly I'd just as soon get the Chemist or Grocer mods for bullion, since those also give me back 2-3 points, and don't seem to reduce carry capacity. The rest of the rewards seem sort of lackluster, but I've been wrong about literally every other assumption I've made about this game, so I assume I'm wildly incorrect now as well.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

This has raised a more general question for me about 76...what does one DO with tens of thousands of caps? I know there's always buying legacy weapons and/or old/rare event rewards/hard-to-get plans off of other players, but for official money sinks, what is there aside from the various serum recipes? I haven't seen any, so I assume there's just buying all the various plans and recipes from vendor bots?

I feel like the idea of endgame content was sort of a headscratcher for Bethesda. Aside from Earle and the Queen, there don't seem to be endgame bosses, there's no real endgame gear progression besides gambling for legendary perks, although they kind of addressed this with the various bullion armor sets, there's not raids really (in the traditional "long dungeon with one or more bosses" template) aside from nuke silos, and it sounds like most people glitch through those anyway. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this game has seemed like a sort of ontological thought experiment since day one where they were just sort of riffing on the idea of an MMO, like, "if we make an MMO, but strip out the endgame treadmills, limit server population, etc. is it still an MMO? When does it stop being an MMO< and what does it turn into?"

Maybe this is more reflective of a genre like RUST-esque survival games? I'm out of touch and never really played any of that genre, so maybe I am applying the wrong framework to 76, and thinking of it as a janky MMO when in fact it is more akin to a janky RUST-like.

Also, I apologize for rambling in the thread about stuff that has probably been hashed out here dozens of times. I was late to the 76 party, and am having my revelations now, some 4 years after launch.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Another Bill posted:

End game raids are severely lacking. Considering how many 4 player dungeons there are in Elder Scrolls Online this seems like it should be a no brainer I don't get it either.

Yeah honestly, I figured after the success of ESO Bethesda would have figured out how to apply the things that worked to 76. I just have trouble believing the 76 team were surprised by this information, like, "You mean to tell me people ENJOY doing instanced group dungeons like in every MMO of the last 20+ years??"

I know ESO and 76 are entirely different teams, but come on Todd!

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

it's OK to realize that you won the game and maybe not play as much, or at all :shrug:

Oh poo poo, have I won Fallout? Hey fellas! I won Fallout! I did it!

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean when you've done all the quest content and have done all the events a few times .... congratulations, you won :shrug:

I mean, that's not remotely what I asked, but yeah man totally

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

remembering the article from like a month or two back where it was revealed execs shot down most of the 76 team's more mmo-y ideas or attempts to look at ESO because they believed ESO was just a total fluke that was going to burn out and no one would care in a year

I haven't read that article, but I love this.

Flesh Forge posted:

It ... wasn't meant as an unfriendly comment but ok dude

Sorry, perils of the internet, it read as snark. If I misinterpreted intent, mea maxima culpa.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Totally fair points. I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who played several MMOs for...much longer than was probably wise or healthy, and it's sort of wacky to come into one years into its lifespan where they haven't really figured out the endgame yet. That being said, I have to remind myself that WoW didn't even have any of the big gold sinks like super expensive mounts until like...what, Wrath of the Lich King, I think. So maybe it's still too early for 76 to have instituted endgame money sinks, assuming they're determined to learn every lesson of MMO design firsthand.

...that still doesn't explain the general dearth of instanced group content though. :colbert:

Flesh Forge posted:

my giant cocktail mixer Frankengun.

I have no idea what weapon this would be, and I only half want you to tell me, because the mental image I'm coming up with in my head is really good.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Games › Fallout General & 76: Just drifts of radscorpion asses

This actually explains a LOT. I kept joining Prime Cuts and seeing piles of radscorpion eggs and random weapons and junk items scattered all over the ground. I love that that poo poo doesn't decay along with the bodies and just ends up as ground litter. Just shuffling through ankle-deep carpets of eggs in the ash heap, NBD.

I keep getting chef's hats, and all I want is the decoy ducks plans and maybe a tenderizer plan. Come on Grahm, hook me up here buddy! Don't I rock out on the drums for you every hour?? :colbert:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Presto posted:

I had to google to find out what this even meant.

:same:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Only one more week until I can live my dream of chainsaws being (kinda) good (maybe)! :peanut:

I suspect the chainsaw will be immediately outclassed by the auto-axe, but I'm hoping it's still viable. The current round of changes sound good on paper - Martial Artist and faster swing speed legendary effect increasing rate of hits sounds good, and I saw a video of someone using Hack and Slash to set off rapid-fire chains of explosions with a chainsaw in VATS, and that looked like a good time too.

I fully anticipate the actual live implementation being busted in some way that'll take them years to fix, but my hope is that it's busted good this time, instead of busted bad.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

if you can make the gauss work then you might also try a bow build because it's pretty similar mechanically and how you play it (charge/release).

I've actually been curious about this, are bow builds able to hold up at high levels? It felt like a gimmick thing at first pass, and I don't think I've ever seen another player with any sort of bow, but the idea of a stealth archer is cool in theory. I assume bows are treated as automatically silenced weapons for purposes of sneak attack perks?

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

Wait, is this seriously a thing?

Seconding this, you can just...order poo poo from the atom shop by submitting a help ticket?? This game is wild.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

Extremely good and cool bow info

Welp, time to start grabbing up bow perks, that looks fun as hell. I guess the reason I haven't seen anyone with a bow is because they were wearing Chinese stealth armor and crouching.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Chainsaw slaps now. I put on a "Rob Zombie's House of 1,000 Fallouts" costume for the occasion, which I am convinced helps my damage output. The rev up time took a couple minutes to get used to, but I just run straight through anything under level 100. About to try it out in my first expedition, time to see if it holds up on content that is presumably a little more heavily tuned for high levels.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

The layout of the Pitt maps has been getting me too, the combination of no quest markers until you're close to stuff and the wild layout mean I always end up spending a few minutes trudging around an empty foundry looking for steel ingots. I still have kind of mixed feelings about the way the Pitt works, in terms of dipping into the zone for an expedition and otherwise not interacting with the new area at all. I guess it feels in keeping with 76's whole theme of good ideas implemented in weird, maybe bad ways, so at least they're being consistent?

Speaking of good ideas implemented in weird ways, auto-melee weapons continue to be busted in the good way, but seem to have a lot of weird bugs and exceptions. I learned this morning that +40% power attack damage is a strong legendary mod for them, because apparently all auto-weapon attacks are considered power attacks, all the time. That's good! But the "take less damage while power attacking" legendary perk doesn't seem to work on them at all. That's bad. Faster swing speed is, as expected, really, really strong, and I'm pretty sure that as well as increasing # of attacks/second, it's also reducing the rev-up time too, at least on the chainsaw. So that's good! But when used with VATS and Hack and Slash, the combination makes my video card try to kick its way out of the side of my computer, I think it's something about the many, many attacks per second all triggering explosions centered on me. So that's bad.

I'll shut up about chainsaws and auto-melee weapons now, I promise.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

I think you have to do more than just claim them. That article says you have to use your claimed daily items to complete challenges in game, and completing enough of the challenges unlocks the prefab building.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

What's the best way to start picking up crafting plans in Fallout 76? All the vendors I've encountered at the stations seem to have furniture plans and a lot of mods, but not a lot of base weapon and armor types. Is there a type of mission I need to run to pick these up, or is it a matter of just coming across them in the wastes?

In addition to what other people suggested, check vending machines in player camps! Many people have weapon and armor plans for sale; I always have any useful plans for equipment crafting I find for sale in my camp at rock-bottom prices for new players.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Yeah, your vendor is tied to your camp, which is only in-world when you are, so it disappears if you log off or switch servers. That being said, you don't have to be there for sales, and I always enjoy hearing the cash register sound effect that plays when I make a sale when I'm off being a murderhobo.

I keep my vending machine fully loaded, with a mix of cheap plans and ammo for levelers with expensive cosmetic clothing and fancy camp decorations for the big spenders, and I reliably have more caps than I know what to do with. I'm level 168, for perspective, and not a hardcore player at all.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

All this FO4 talk has me thinking about something I wanted to try but never did - I love building settlements, but hate settlers, for the most part. You could absolutely do a run with 0 human settlers, and just build a robot for each settlement to act as a supply runner to connect their shared storage capacity, right?

Edit: as long as you don't build a recruitment beacon, no humans should ever show up, right? I know a few settlements start with one or two people, but I could just send them all to sanctuary to live in the ruins with Preston and his merry band of idiots, so long as I don't have more people turning up of their own volition.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Rinkles posted:

Some settlement functions require settlers, though. Like the caravans that connect inventories, iirc.

Yeah, that's the exact thing I'm wondering. If I make robot settlers with the Machinist DLC, can they act as caravans? Basically, I want a run with just me and my various robot minions, no settlers, no human companions. Dogmeat is cool though, he can hang with me and my robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Peyote Panda posted:

Yes you can. I did this and then later came across a battle where a bunch of hapless raiders were getting loving annihilated by a ridiculously over-armed sentry bot and it took me a moment to recognize that it was one of the caravan bots I'd built giving the good news to some schmucks that had the misfortune to get in its way.

This is the sort of experience that keeps me coming back to Fallout 4, even years later.