Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

2house2fly posted:

I don't think they even misunderstood the first two games, they just decided they didn't want to do regional power struggles in the irradiated wild west

They certainly kept up with the bugginess and broken gameplay though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fallout's totally going to have cliff racers in it guys!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If you get the mad science perks or whatever they are (Int 9) and the repair bobblehead you should end up with enough fusion cores that you'll want a weapon to shoot them at your enemies. (The Gatling Laser)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RBA Starblade posted:

This is a great idea. Every moral choice you have to make from then on is on a scale of "dickhead" to "rear end in a top hat".

Typical goons, forcing me to play an rear end in a top hat instead of a drugged out hippie trying to spread peace around the wasteland.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

deathbagel posted:

I enjoyed FO 1, 2, 3, NV and 4. I'll probably enjoy this one too! I can't wait for the 10th and more info.

Look at this casual Fallout player that never played Fallout Tactics:BOS.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mango sentinel posted:

Considering it was the herald of modern DLC and everyone's paranoid, worst case scenario fears came true, yes.

Free modding certainly is dead now, yes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BarronsArtGallery posted:

The Lone Wanderer in FO3 wasn't from a vault either

Technically the Sole Survivor in FO4 didn't live in a vault.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Man I wish I could modify that outfit further than Kent can - love wearing it but at higher levels enemies start tearing through you all to easily and it has next to no radiation protection.

I've been running around with it and a few mods that let both the suit and the hat get both weave and linings along with various other bits from other mods including:

Gloves from We Are The Minutemen
The recon armor helmet-looking thing from New Vegas
Patrolman sunglasses with sensors built in
Couple of armor bits.

Isn't quite as strong as the top tier marine armor from the DLC but still pretty workable.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ComposerGuy posted:

In Fallout 4, you are immediately given the impetus to your quest, like in BotW and, to a lesser extent, New Vegas, but in this case there's no good reason given in-narrative for you to not immediately follow the trail to find your son. It makes no narrative sense to do anything else because you're playing the parent of a newborn child. You have to actively ignore that to do anything else, and it breaks narrative immersion immediately.

In the past few hours I watched a world-ending nuclear war start, my spouse get killed, my child taken away by unknown individuals, and then I step out into a destroyed world.

Everything's going to burn.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Azhais posted:

... Just as soon as I finish turning sanctuary hills into a theme park dedicated to mocking a drug addict

Hey, you burn the world your way and I'll burn it my way.

By building motels everywhere

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah that and he despises a lot of perfectly normal game actions. It makes sense for characters to dislike stealing or picking owned locks but Strong hates all lock picking. That is an unimaginably stupid game design decision. I can understand if he gets made if you're nice to people but his list of dislikes is just plain stupid.

Oddly enough one of the best ways to raise Strong's opinion is to hang around a settlement with him. He actually likes you helping settlers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rinkles posted:

NMA hated the guy, I think, because of his rather "Oblivion with guns" pitches to media, and because he wasn't very diplomatic about how he treated them and their opinions (he was very "we own fallout now, and we'll do as we like. Deal with it.")

He's got my support.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Berke Negri posted:

well it was more like we don't think there's anything controversial about killing nazis, which is cool

Haven't you heard that there were good and bad people on both sides?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

frajaq posted:

The 85 Metacritic thing was an extra bonus Bethesda offered to incentive Obsidian a little further to make a good job and they failed in the end, it was all Obsidian's fault, as Chris Avellone himself confirmed

This doesn't agree with my headcannon so I'm going to ignore it. /NMA

prometheusbound2 posted:

Metacritic scores within a range are likely a good indication of quality, but the suggestion that the difference between an 84 and an 85 says something about the quality of the game is stupid, especially since different scores mean different things to different people.

That it was 85 was nothing special. It only got attention because they missed by one point. You set goals or trigger points or bonuses in a strictly defined manner and if they're not met then they're not met. Going "Well you got close enough" defeats the whole purpose.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 10, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah this is dumb as gently caress, Fallout, you know, that game about nuclear proliferation.

Indeed, you'd never launch a nuke in any of the past games.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

President Ark posted:

i think people expecting fallout new vegas 2 should have stopped caring about this when obsidian confirmed they weren't involved

They will never be satisfied.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Liquid Communism posted:

Yet Boston is populated and Hicksville is not.

WV is pretty much dying right now without bombs being dropped.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Catalyst-proof posted:

Turns out hundreds of megatons of nuclear arsenal only affects urban areas directly adjacent to their strike zone, and only causes physical destruction, doesn't kill or mutate organic life at all.

Fallout 76: Where the scientific phenomenon of fallout doesn't actually occur

Big nukes aren't used in the fallout setting. It's almost always sub-MT.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

antidote posted:

Fallout Tactics isn't canon!!!

Which is why canon talk is dumb.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's annoying but somewhat less so if you're in a group and someone can be dedicated melee. Failing that there's always gun bashing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lexorin posted:

Hooray, another patch another substantial reduction in my ability to hurt anything. It's like bethesda would really like people to stop playing their game...

What is your build?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lexorin posted:

I don't really have one (unless shotguns and whatever random armor I could find is considered a build). Apparently I was using a "Magic" shotgun, which I just found out was thing.

It's not like it was that great. 1 and 2 shotting trash mobs while still needing to dump ridiculous amounts of ammo into anything more dangerous doesn't really seem like an exploit. Now it takes all 8 rounds to kill trash, and after thinking about how long it'll take to kill anything even slightly more substantial I'm giving up. You've won Bethesda, I'll stop playing your game. Not that I'm the kind of customer you like since I've never bought atoms.

The game more or less expects you to be stacking up the damage perks and secondary perks for whatever weapon you're using and the meta really favors automatic weapons versus semi-auto, especially for the Daily Ops.

+75% damage from the weapon perks (including bloody mess) and all three ranks of the armor reducing perk is pretty much a must for most any build.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If they're having problems with their current build I would not recommend a bloodied build. Those can be very difficult for some players

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 15, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There's also a number of suits in internal cells that you won't have had the game generate yet.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ash1138 posted:

It's also worth checking other player camps for an Ammo Converter so you can trade the ammo you don't want for points to buy the ammo you do want. Now with a 50% less annoying user interface!

For those of you unfamiliar with some of the tricks of console interfaces from fo4, you can hit tab to go back a screen. This works for the ammo converter if you need to melt down smaller stacks of ammo as you can melt down X then go back a screen and melt another X down. It's quicker than going through the whole selection system again.

Fun tidbit: If you have a broadsider equipped when the Daily Ops boss dies you'll get ~200 cannonballs, which have a rather good exchange rate. Only downside is that they weigh 1 unit each so make sure you start the op in a place where there is a converter.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I did the Beckett quest chain with a friend and the final mission had us chosing different conversations resulting in very different outcomes with the two Becketts we had with us.

Afterwards I can only assume they argued about who got to have the goatee.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Halman posted:

I took a big break after playing at launch and coming back whenever I pick up technical data I don't get the quest trigger, and I don't have forbidden knowledge listed (but unticked) on my pipboy. Is there any way to fix this? Because I'm pretty sure I was still missing a few of the rewards.

I've seen a claim that the quest is currently disabled.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Daily Ops start at lvl 50.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think that only applies to certain late game items and not the general stuff. I've gotten legendary drops for items I don't know how to make.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Entorwellian posted:

I don't recommend playing it with Survival mode enabled, either

Why is that?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sooo... I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but if you create a public team it'll count as being on a team for your perks and mutations. Even if no one else has joined it. Won't trigger things like Strange Together though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't see any change in the Herd Mentality bonus when I slot it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I finished it yesterday after atoming the last 2 since I wanted to take a break. Main interest for me later on in the path was the BOS mini-bunker since I didn't have it yet. Otherwise more perk packs to turn into upgrade points for legendary perks and skins I might use on rare occasion depending on my mood.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have an unhealthy appetite for desk fans.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Berke Negri posted:

when the 10 year hit and i replayed FNV i kept being like oh gently caress desk fans and typewriters then realizing you cant pick them up

Even now when I play FNV I keep on picking up all the pre-war books in the house at the start before I remember they're not special.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

In Fallout 3 you could turn them in for 100 caps.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's in "maintenance" right now, probably because they're trying to get the new update out early on the servers.

Presumably everything is on fire.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Servers appear to be up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How do you start them? I couldn't figure it out when I popped in briefly last night.