Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sinteres posted:

It's not like Square stopped making Final Fantasy games because they have two Final Fantasy MMOs. I don't know why Bethesda put ES6 so far on the back burner, but my guess is that ESO isn't the biggest reason. I hope it'll be because they have another giant open world RPG IP to announce at E3 this year.

They've implied a few times that ES6 is well into pre-development, but that their vision for the game fits better with next gen tech than current gen. This fits with other rumors that are out there, namely that Starfield is going to be the first incarnation of their post-Gamebryo engine, and ES6 will use a refined version of it on next-gen machines.

So, probably like Fall 2019/2020, wouldn't surprise me to see the first ES6 hype at one of the big announces for new hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

They pretty clearly signaled last night that they’re still making janky open world narrative games - they’re just focused on Starbound and ESVI, which makes sense because those two games are almost certainly using their new engine, which is why they’re “next-gen”.

In the meantime they had their satellite studio working on a twist on Fallout, and I’m not sure why that’s a problem. I feel like all the same people making GBS threads on them for doing something different would also be making GBS threads on them for doing Fallout 4.5

Of course, this is video games and the internet so......

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I'm also not sure why people are acting like the decision was Fallout 76 OR another single-player Fallout RPG. Seems pretty clear that this was coming from a different resource pool, and the "main" team has been working on Starbound for a while. It seems more likely that we probably just wouldn't be getting anything Fallout related if 76 wasn't happening.

It's possible that they could have farmed it out, like they did with NV. But despite the love that NV gets from fans the sense I get is that it wasn't like a monster commercial success so it's not surprising that they'd be more attracted to doing something different as a side project.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I remember reading it sold comparably if not better than FO3.

Here's some data to take with a grain of salt - https://www.statista.com/statistics/504477/global-all-time-unit-sales-fallout-games/

It certainly didn't do POORLY, but sold less than F3 and substantially less than F4's numbers.

edit: I think the point about this existing because they could iterate on existing tech (unlike Starbound and ESVI, which are reportedly on their new engine) is probably right. Also, more opportunities to monetize through other means than a spin-off single player game.

Anyway, I'm not saying the game is going to be good, although I hope it is. I'm just saying I can understand why they did this from a business sense rather than just doing another single-player game.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 11, 2018

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I haven’t run into t-posing enemies yet (if anything, the critters I’ve run into were a little too aggressive), so I can’t comment on that part.

I dunno, I played for like an hour and it’s better than I thought it would be. It’s 100% what people thought - Fallout 4 but maximizing the exploration, combat, gathering and crafting and ditching most of the story. I enjoyed most of that stuff before so I wasn’t coming out of the gate hating the idea. There seems to be more storytelling baked into the world than I initially thought there would be, and a decent amount of VO from audio logs, etc. sprinkled around.

I think there’s the framework of a good idea here. Seems like lots of content is busted though, so who knows if they can release in a state that delivers on the potential.

Oh, and the multiplayer is only really jarring in the first bit when you’re bunched up coming out of the vault. After that, being around other people got more infrequent as we spread out naturally. I can see how it might get to that spot where the multiplayer element might become interesting without feeling like a shoehorned mmo.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Frog Act posted:

enemies floating and t posing and ignoring the players who all seem to wield the same lovely melee weapons

I found a rifle in an abandoned cabin like 2 minutes away from the vault and one of the first quests is to build a weapon (I had the mats for a pipe gun by the time I got to the first crafting location), so I have no idea why.

It's literally the first day of beta, so a bunch of people are probably just farting around and trying to find broken poo poo. I'm not excusing the broken poo poo, I'm just saying that there's a selection effect to a certain extent.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean, honestly, response to the game seems a lot like response to ESO when it first happened. There’s a lot of pent up demand for a good traditional Fallout game and this isn’t that, so people are kind of upset from the jump.

I dunno. The only bug I ran into in a couple of hours of playing was the obviously busted enemy AI. That’s clearly not intended though, so whatever.

Otherwise, what I played wasn’t GREAT or life-changing but it was interesting enough in concept for me to want to play more. I have no idea if it will end up having actual legs but what is there seems like it’ll keep me interested enough to put some time into.

Anyway that’s my hot take, it’s not good if you want a regular (modern) Fallout RPG but if you’re open to seeing them try something weird and different with a Fallout skin it’s got potential.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I know I’m supposed to hate this or whatever, but I’ve been having fun this morning just running around and exploring. I think they’ve actually done a really good job with world building, and it’s great to just poke around. I found a suit of power armor I couldn’t use yet after fighting my way across a bunch of ghouls, along with some cool cosmetic stuff. Felt pretty rewarding.

This game is kind of like the ur-modern Fallout, in that it captures the highs (world building, exploration, small stories) and lows (lots of jank) of those games while ejecting the stuff that’s only middling (overarching narrative).

Who knows what kind of legs it’ll have but I don’t really feel cheated out of my $60.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Also do events, they funnel consumables and ammo into your gaping maw.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game has its problems, but I legit find the Responders line and the Overseer's story pretty good - somehow the lore in this game is better than Fallout 4. Descending into the mine and passing the Firefighter's final exam was really good and atmospheric.

Of course, the Physical Exam preceding it really highlighted all the worst parts of the game right now, but that's Fallout 76 all over. A land of contrasts.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oppression posted:

Yeah the physical exam wasn't my favorite but it was pretty challenging for my run through it. A Snallygaster 5 levels above me spawned in right where the arrows are directing you on the ground after going through that building. It broke my legs and then killed me as I tried to run past, had to kill him by throwing a metric shitload of frag grenades at him and then was able to make it through on the next attempt. Maybe that thing spawns in every time, but it was a huge Oh poo poo moment for me at the time.

Most of my issue with the exam was that the game (on a BONE X) started hitching like a motherfucker randomly while I was trying to do my run. Also, there are plenty of places you can get stuck on geometry or have a stroke trying to climb stairs. Platforming hasn't ever been a Fallout strong point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Kaddish posted:

I could never get into FFXIV either and I tried like 3-4 times over the years. I always heard it gets better but I ain’t got time for that.

I generally enjoy the boxed expansions but FFXIV's problem is that is basically a mid-tier visual novel with a pretty good collaborative game built on dungeons and raids stapled on top. Catching up on all the patches before each expansion really exposes how incredibly dull a large portion of the game is. To be fair, I think the game is still fundamentally hamstrung by the poor foundation they had to build on and so they're never going to be able to make the part where you actually play out in the world good.

You are not allowed to say that though because when people decide that FFXIV is part of their identity they REALLY COMMIT TO THAT.