Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Roman posted:

Fallout 76 QOL stuff coming in January (will be on a PTS first)
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/1jsHzIiTcouzvdxbo2wgYA/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-season-3-and-quality-of-life-update-previews

- Stash increase to 1200
- Item details will show stack weight
- New, Armor (separate from Apparel), and Food/Drink tabs in Pip-Boy
- Vending machine previews on map will display # of 1, 2, and 3 star Legendaries

These are good changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Parker Lewis posted:

The last year of patches/updates has really improved the overall core of the game.

FO76 might not have reached full "No Man's Sky post-launch redemption" mode but honestly, it is getting pretty close for me. I would go as far as calling it an actual good game now for someone looking for a Fallout experience on a cool/interesting map with tons of content that you can mostly play solo, with the option to have fun teaming up with other people when you want to.

Absolutely, this. The launch was a mess, no one can question that. But the constant poo poo the game gets is sometimes unfair, and it can't be said they aren't at least trying. I'm fully enjoying running around playing mostly solo, but the social aspects have improved tremendously.
And it actually does keep getting better, bit by bit.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Jesus Christ, you guys were not kidding as to how broken Fireproof 3 is in '76. There might not be anything more satisfying then kiting a bunch of mobs over to an old car, jumping on it and shooting at my feet with my junkie's explosive combat shotty. The car goes up instantly, incinerating the mobs as I laugh through the explosion, taking pretty much no damage.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Blah gently caress it.

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 6, 2021

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

On the flip side, thanks to Vats crits I can kill a super mutant a mile away with just a Gauss shotty.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of my first camps in 76 was on top of a cliff and every time I spawned in or fast travelled back, it was a 3 minute hike back up to my camp.

I moved to a place with a lead extractor point and haven't hosed with mountain top camps since. Sure, there's a deathclaw spawn near me now, but it beats wasting time hopping around on cliffs like an idiot.

Your fast travel point in is usually in a direction north of where you've placed the CAMP device down. You can kinda tune in your spawn point by moving the CAMP around your camp, though it's never perfect.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That's what I do. I have three separate builds, day-to-day (gauss shotty build), a crafting build that I use when constructing camps/workshops or if I'm cooking/crafting. The third build is kinda superfluous, it's entirely charisma based for trading at the best rates. Super easy to swap character builds now, and every station has the sign board so it's an easy swap while there from "day-to-day" to "trading".

The only annoying thing is that it doesn't remember your group-shared perk cards if you swap builds, meaning I need to remember to reshare my cards after every character build swap.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

titties posted:

Wee barn if you're playing this on ps4 please explain why i never see you online it makes me sad

I'm sorry old boy, but have migrated over to Xbox this Gen.
Goddamn if I don't miss Goon Theft Auto with you and the PS4 boys tho...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

titties posted:

You piece of poo poo

Guilty as charged.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

MH Knights posted:

What about the money one?

I'm pretty sure it works along similar lines, though it doesn't really kick in til you're carrying 30k+ caps.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a reason I can't use the "Nearby Corpses" button even when I'm surrounded by corpses, besides just lol bethesda?

This is an annoying goddamned bug. Just look away from the corpse and then back. Seriously.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That's generous, and bloodied is a very fun build. Might want to mention the platform you play on, as there's still no cross play. Nor is there likely ever going to be.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

twistedmentat posted:

And when the daily has "kill a cryptid" is there any guaranteed places where mothman or a sheepsquach or something spawns?

Also the semi-static Grafton Monsters that spawn south east of Hemlock Holes up north (there are also snallygasters nearby) and south east of Poseidon also count when looking for cryptids.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Yeah, any negative effects of a mutation can usually be negated by the right perk cards. Make sure you lock in your mutations via the luck perk card (class freak, I think?), that way you don't accidentally remove a beneficial mutation while purging rads.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The treasure hunter events are another good way to burn through caps, if you buy empty pails at rail stations.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The workshop at Hemlock Holes has three acid deposits, so it pays to capture it early and build the extractors. 30 acid every trip back to check the collectors adds up.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Meat week only started yesterday afaik.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

With The Pittbeing released today, I wouldn't be surprised to see a free Fallout 1st weekend promotion soon. When that happens, immediately build the included scrap box and fill the m'fer with every piece of junk you have and can hoard during the event. Event after the free trial ends, you can keep the scrapbox and pull the junk from it, you just won't be able to add to it unless you get 1st again.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Fast travel to interiors is such a small but game changing quality-of-life improvement.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Ran Union Dues on patch day back to back, and both times me and my buddy were relying solely on our compass rose for navigation, as the layouts were indeed difficult to remember. Even back to back.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Now that they have fast travel to interiors, I wish we had a fast travel option directly into my own Vault/Shelter.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Pretty much every event you participate in will also reward you with plans. An easy way to snag some plans while also getting event rewards is to claim a workshop, (where you'll get rewarded a plan) . Defend the workshop a few minutes later when the event pops, get another plan as part of that reward.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I enjoy 76, but I find it's more enjoyable with a friend or two.

Speaking of friends/social, it can't be stressed enough, even if you play solo all the drat time, join a public team to reap the benefits. Worth it for the team buff/benefits alone, and any shared perk cards only sweeten the deal. Hardly anyone uses chat or expects anything of you (unless in a daily ops team, but you'll have joined/created that purposefully.)

On PA, I've never run a power armour build. The Secret Service set I built gets me through fine day-to-day (with the Chinese Steath Armour for rad protection when necessary). Plus then I have more Dolly-dress-up options for my dude, who currently looks like a Santa Claus on Hawaiian holiday.

Some of the new events are fun, and I've found most of the new content quite good, if a bit repetitive after you've been playing a good while. The scoreboard keeps me interested in doing stuff.

And it's always fun to shred scorched with my two-shot gauss lovely.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Ultracite. Ammo used to be a concern, but a patch a while back made it so now most ammo containers and/or enemies are rife with the ammo your using.

Edit:just saw the typo you pointed out. :lol:

*shotty

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

loving Ward and that drat lovely security at Foundation.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Sensenmann posted:

Not sure if they changed it in a patch because it's been easily a year since I last tried a Gauss shotty but it only really worked with Demo Expert and VATS, otherwise you needed 3 or more shots for a simple mutie. And the firerate was, in typical Bethesda fashion, somehow much faster in third person. :doh:

Yeah, for truly effective gauss usage you really have to be perked for vats. Mine replenishes my crit meter 15 percent faster and does 50 percent crit damage, so very vats dependant. But it's satisfying strolling though WestTec like a one man death machine.

But boy do you want all kinds of butressed explosive protection, as it's easy to hurt yourself pretty bad with explosive splash damage as close range.
And yeah, for some reason 3rd person shooting is faster. Fallout gonna Fallout.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I might have gone to the Pitt a grand total of four times since the expeditions dropped. As has been said plenty, it just feels like a bigger daily op.
Fortunately, the scoreboard is fairly forgiving so I skip any Pitt-based score points not doing the occasional expedition stuff.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This game, for all its faults, has a pretty good community. It's very common for higher levels to gift newbies all kinds of starting goodies, as once you start levelling and doing events, you'll be showered in loot that you'll have no real use for but a lower level will use.

Always check blue suitcases at the train stations, it's common in-game for higher level players to stuff them with their excess loot/ammo. Same with the chest with balloons on it, at Nuka World on Tour.

I have a table at my camp next to my vendor labelled 'free', where I stuff everything I don't want.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Gunpowder being junk now is huge.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Lately me and my buddy have noticed a wild uptick in douchebags spamming orbital strikes during public events like Scorched Earth and Spin The Wheel. It's annoying as gently caress, and while my Series S handles the resulting lag and screen effects fairly well, she'll often be crash completely out on her original Xbone.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks for all the advice.

How do I actually use treasure maps? I found one, a picture of some bridge, but no indication where to look. Or did I already find it without paying attention and can safely trash the note?

Basically, having the appropriate map in your inventory means that you can dig at a the spot indicated by said map. They're pretty good but not perfect indications where the treasure is buried. When you get to that spot/area, there will usually be a mound of dirt that you can loot (you may have to look around a bit), and if you have multiple maps of a particular spot, you'll use them up when looting. They will be removed from your inventory after looting. The treasure maps rewards aren't particularly exciting for most players, though there are a couple of rare drops from them.

Edit: Don't trash the map, they're weightless iirc, and you can redeem multiples of each if you get more than one for a spot. Keep them until you specifically set out to hunt them, or stumble upon a treasure spot.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do you need a shovel?

e: Sorry, I'm not trying to sell you a shovel here, I mean in the game, if you want to dig up treasure.

You do not need a shovel to loot treasure dig spots. As far as I know, there are only one or two quests that require a shovel for completion. One of the daily quests you can unlock is one where you'll rebury some soldier's bones, and you need a shovel to "bury" it at the designated spot.
I think there are also a couple of graves in the Ash Heap that require a shovel to loot. But the treasure maps for some reason don't require one.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

One thing I wish the SPECIAL slots had was a persistent memory of which cards I was sharing to my group between loadouts. I have three loadouts, one for day-to-day, one for crafting and a third for build gently caress-around. But every time you swap a build it unshares any perk cards you were sharing, and you have to manually re-share cards between builds.
Not a game breaker in a game full of game breakers over its history, but still annoying.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

And the rewards you otherwise would have earned with one decision can be bought after the story wraps that up after you raise your reputation with the offended faction.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

SplitSoul posted:

Went to The Pitt. That was a disappointment. Also :lol: at grinding those stamps.

Ah, so I won't lock myself out of the gold vendors? Don't care about achievements if they don't come with unlocks.

Nope, you just may have to grind some reputation for the higher level goodies, as most plans and rewards are linked to reputation status.

And the Pitt has turned out to be a huge disappointment for me and my buddy. We should have known not to get our hope too high... Ooooh, a new area, ripe for exploring! Nope, glorified Daily Op with rewards that take forever and a day to earn.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Those can be changed/activated on the Atomic Shop page at the main menu. Also where you select which loot bag you're dropping and Tent skin if you have Fallout 1st.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The new mutated events are predictably a mixed bag, but something new at least.
The Reflection mutation active at Moonshine Jamboree meant I killed myself three times with my Tesla rifle. But had a blast regardless.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That actually sounds like a bug, of which there are many; I don't think I've ever had placed turrets start attacking vendor NPCs. Hell, half the time they barely attack the enemies...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The Titan is fun, I just wish more people realized you've gotta melee away the ultracite shards around it each 'round' before it'll take any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

You could try placing something down where the dumpster is and see if it'll despawn like a lot of the world clutter will in the build menu.