Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Skex posted:

I don't get all of the FO76 hate

I mean yeah the company is lovely and doing lovely things

Now everyone can have fun telling me how stupid I am for not hating a game.

You don’t have to feel a certain way, but you also don’t have to performatively try to tell others they shouldn’t feel a certain way either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
“fallout?!" skex kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he kramers against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I'm a fan of fallout, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It is gambling.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Was there a particular game that Fallout 76 was trying to compete with, a la Fortnite BR and PUBG?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wish some gossipy FO3 writer would spill the beans on how dumb that was.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Der Kyhe posted:

The guy also started to give me constant lip on not signaling the evacuation call when I blew up the Institute. For not allowing the inhabitants to evacuate.

For fucks sake Preston. Unloading an untold number of homeless or revenge-fueled Institute Death Squads and Terminators in the middle of our territory is exactly what the Minutemen needs because the last major battle fought, you lost to a bunch of raiders with a bit fancier guns.

Those wacky scientists with their knowledge of biological or chemical warfare and how to manufacture arms, with the loving army of previous-gen synths taking those firearms and attacking every loving colony in sight is not a problem compared to that then? So how about you go fist-gently caress yourself with your ideals, and try to loving finally fix the wall panels on that building you have been hammering for the last three years?

But we *did* lost the gorillas. :(

why shouldn’t he powerfist-gently caress himself

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

KakerMix posted:

There is no way Bethesda is going to improve any time soon.

ZeusCannon posted:

RIP your fried

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah that sounds fun as hell

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
if you’re still playing this game, you deserve to be miserable

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Tenzarin posted:

Ever since Bethesda almost went bankrupt making 10th planet, they have only made a single game at a time.

It's also why they let blackisle make New Vegas and they made fo76 to be handed over to a freemium gaming company to be maintained.

that wasn’t Black Isle

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m the epistemological ouroboros that is “the thing I have chosen to talk about is not the thing I want to talk about.”

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I love big empty

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

K8.0 posted:

IMO the solution is to go back to overworld map travel like in Fallout 1/2. Build the giant world, put discoverable map markers on everything interesting (if you want to "hide" things, make them plainly visible from marked locations so players will see them and manually travel there). Players travel by going to the map, and pathing around like old school RPGs, with encounters pushing you back to the 3D/real time map. That way you can have the big open space, and have it be real space, without having to waste a bunch of resources creating detail in it, or disrespect the player's time by expecting them to do any meaningful traversal of it.

The reality is though, that huge scale and extreme openness is being overused in gaming. Games have become more and more focused on grandiose scale and plots and have lost a lot in doing so. The fact that basically every open world game has a teleport anywhere fast travel system is a huge warning sign that they're badly designed games. A lot of the reason that people really enjoy a lot of indie games is that they tend to have much tighter, more focused scopes that don't need a bunch of garbage shoveled in to feel full. I'd really like to see some larger-budget RPGs focus on a setting that is say, a single town/city, and make it feel like a proper, realized city.

Is this what Dragon Age 2 aimed for and missed?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of people hated the walking in Fallout New Vegas after you left Goodsprings, which I thought did a good job of emulating leaving safety and setting out on the road. Hell it takes a good in game day to get to the next major town, Primm, and another one between the Ranger station and Nipton.

Travel in New Vegas is excellent, the map has just the right amount of density to let you bounce from one cool and interesting thing to another.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

New Vegas does an amazing job of taking the standard "Bethesda sized map" and simultaneously making it feel huge, empty, and dense. It feels like you're really in the middle of nowhere sometimes. I also like how the game still sticks to F1/F2's schtick of making each major town a quest hub that you puzzle out before moving on. The worst thing about New Vegas is how much better it upstages Bethesda at their own game.

I just binged the hell out of Arcanum, and this post helped me figure out what I didn’t like about it. There are many quests, including a couple that affect the ending, that require you to return to hub towns. Hubs change as you advance the main quest, but this is signposted so badly that you can easily goof up and miss content. It’s a bummer that it takes a guide to see those scenes and quests, when nowhere in the game or its loading screens does it tip you off about it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The White Dragon posted:

do it once, do it right, and pretend like you're printing it to a cd in 1996. this is my launch philosophy

What’s your lunch philosophy?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The Lone Badger posted:

I do remember seeing a screenshot with a full on 'happy merchant' shopkeeper.

I didn’t know that term before. Jesus.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

I honestly think it depends on whose being asked. As a born southern-Baptist "white dude" from the south eastern United States, the thought that Jewish people might not be white has never occurred to me. Myself, and most people I know, simply perceive it as a different religion, not a different ethnicity.

But in other parts of the world, this is very much not the mindset.

I have known people who grew up in the Deep South/Southern Baptist tradition who were told as children that Jewish people had horns.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Arcsquad12 posted:

The orc loses some of it in still frames but it really comes through when you see it in motion. Again, they had to redesign the lootbox orc and his mannerisms because they were so blatantly antisemitic that the backlash was too much to ignore.

It doesn’t seem like this got picked up in the gaming press, I don’t remember hearing anything about this before today.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Southpaugh posted:

I want to apologize to everyone for bringing up ATOM, I didn't know it had such a particularly gross bit of antisemitism in it.

And I'm apologizing in advance to everyone for digging more deeply into it.

So I went to visit the book merchant in the game last night, and not only does it repeatedly have him rubbing his hands together but when you trade with him, he will neevr give you more than a ruble for any item in the game. He's the first cities book merchant, I expect to be able to sell all my recipes and poo poo back to him. His wares are also higher in price and the way the economy works he'll end up with a lot of hard currency in his inventory that you won't be able to access.

IT's tremendously lovely. It's one thing to have a depiction that you can pass off as a tasteless lovely joke and another to apply this stereotype to your character entire interactions with him. I'm think I'm going to write an annoyed review somewhere.

Good idea, don’t be too hard on yourself. I haven’t played the game and didn’t know that detail, but had recommended it based on hearing the gameplay was good. I can at least go ahead and take it off my wishlist now.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
can they import this glitch?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
hell yeah

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

smug jeebus posted:

Thanks for pics of your lovely bag i geuss

You don’t sound very grateful.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

TulliusCicero posted:

Does she get really stretchy though?

...where the gals are the stretchiest, the love the liveliest, way back home

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Arcsquad12 posted:

Par for the course with his family lineage.

He was 36 in that scene.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

TulliusCicero posted:

Joshua Graham might be my favorite because of how completely calm and unsettling he is. He isn't a bad guy per say (he definitely was: he is seeking redemption in his own way and has found a renewed purpose by believing he was kept alive by God (albeit in constant immense pain) to defend this pacifist tribe in Zion, as he is willing to do the horrible things they can't.

He's a really complex character with very interesting motives

Honest Hearts and the main quest really nail the “no perfect ending” narrative design.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It would have been cool to have some subtle differences in Yes man where you end up with a stable multipolar Mojave like the Swiss confederation vs the much more violent Italian city-states

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, it’s hard not to feel like poo poo if you don’t check the Burned Man’s worst impulses.

Berke Negri posted:

hes also mormon

Do you think he wears the temple garment under the bandages or over them?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Are you talking about Lily?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My understanding is that the nightkin are driven insane from the stealthboys in ways that did not effect regular super mutants.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

infernal machines posted:

Has anyone ever explained why there are sandbags piled inside these bunkers, apparently at random?

It’s a Doobie’s Dog House reference.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
maybe?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They’re calling it Garfield

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s gonna be the President Garfield if video games.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

lmfao

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Just the boldness of “prices up 15%” is gorgeous.

*extremely Marlo Stanfield voice* Price of da (virtual) brick goin up

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
it’s in the middle, op

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Happy merchant depiction of jews.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

So originally I'd asked how the Atom RPG is aside from the racist poo poo. Instead I got nothing but more comments about the racist poo poo. I'm not even talking story stuff, but the whole package. Does it run good? Is it buggy? How's the character leveling/advancement system. Are there party members? Are they good? How's the choices/consequences part of the narrative? In other words: does the game go after all the things that made Fallout 1/2 good games. If the racism poo poo is super-pervasive then I'm probably going to avoid it either way. But I kinda feel like the few things I've seen posted as "racist" are definitely walking the line but I haven't seen anything I'd classify as a put-down. I know that's subjective for everyone, but an old dude wringing his hands greedily could just be an old dude wringing his hands greedily. If it's preferred I not bring up or ask about the game or if everyone's intent is to dogpile me to tell me what a piece of poo poo I am, fair enough, that's your right and I'll leave it alone. My intention and hope is not to poo poo up the thread. I just feel there's a dearth of good post-apoc RPGs and the Fallout series is moving further and further from the sort of setting I'd enjoy.

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Meat Me