Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I actually really like Nuka World despite it's story. Just treating the whole thing as a Murder Sandbox is pretty good, there's a lot of interesting setpiece design. Of course, you can play along with the raiders to see how the quests unfold as well. It's silly at times and I never finished it but I did enjoy the worldspace, weapons, armor, new mutated enemies, arcade games and whatever else. Plus, there is a mod to let you progress through the whole storyline without turning settlements into raider camps, so you can see how it plays out without Preston getting all pissy. Overall I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not playing through it, even if just to murder raiders for a few hours.

Automatron is a lot shorter, but I like the enemy variety that rust devil patrols adds, and you can give Codsworth sexy legs for no good reason, so I also think it's a fine addition.

I even liked Vault-Tec Workshop. Some part of clearing out the cavern scratches some weird scrap OCD itch, and there are some fun surprises. The experiments with Clem can also be pretty funny depending on how you do them.

Wasteland Workshop and Contraptions are pretty much trivial DLCs, though it's handy on survival to use the ammo crafting machines, and the decontamination arch to remove rads. If you like building settlements, you get some more structure types and decorations.

I haven't played through Far Harbor yet, despite everyone saying it's the best one :negative: I remember going there once but my game crashed maybe 3 minutes in. I'm gearing up some mods for my next playthrough, is it better to use Nick my first time or should I use the Gorton Fisherman guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Keeshhound posted:

I thought this was the primary appeal of the mod, though?

My first run of the game, I kitted out Preston with a baseball outfit, batters cap, sunnies, and that legendary baseball bat that sends enemies flying. Homerun Garvey was my favorite companion, and if he suddenly told me that he wouldn't be my friend because I'm enslaving innocents, I'd be mad. With the mod, I can still roleplay Overboss on my vacation to Nuka World to see the bizarre quest design through to the end, without sacrificing my Lovers Embrace perk.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I'm giving this anothet shot and playing the free week. I played in the pre-order beta but I ended up cancelling it due to bugs. I've already had the game crash on me again, within the first 30 minutes, when I used a plan for metal arms. I keep hearing like, "the game has seriously improved since launch!" But I can't find any rundown of what's actually improved. Are these people delusional, like I'm assuming?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I put together this build but I still have two points to allocate and I'm not quite sure how. Honestly I feel like most of the time I'll be running with Pack Rat instead of Blocker but you never know. I can also swap between Rifleman and Commando later down the road when ammo is no issue so that's what drew me to it.

A couple of questions:
-What perks are the absolute "must haves" for Power Armor? Does PA work with Sneak, like in my build, or is that a lost cause? I'm okay with it if not, I'm just wondering what sort of stuff goes into using PA.
-Are there any solutions for a better flashlight than Miner's Helmet or PA? I hate the drat pipboy light but I feel like I'm just going to use the Miner's Helmet forever instead of anything fun like combat helmets or whatever.
-When you buy Legendary weapons with scrip, do you just always buy the 3* ones? And not until level 50? I'm level 35 but that Purveyor Sale starts soon so I'm gonna work hard this weekend I think.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
The thing that keeps me out of enjoying Sim Settlements ever is the installation/setup. There's no real curated list of essential picks or anything, just "here, go download 50 content packs, city plan packs, leader packs, faction packs, pack packs and hope they're all still working okay on the current version of Sim Settlements" and then you boot up the game and load up a city plan and the game freezes. You then spend 2 hours paging through the Mod Menus Config to see what the problem could be, and then you fix it and for some reason your only city leader options are Preston five times and then your people all build on the plots with plans that block off the doorways or have Milkable Mole Rats or some horrible poo poo and it's like, Jesus Christ, I just want something plug and play that won't take countless hours of finagling to make settlements better.

Vanilla is a way better experience than having to mess with all of that. I love to collect garbage and build stuff out of the garbage and roll around in the garbage and eat the garbage.

Also in 76, the only rare drops from Daily Ops are "Plan: Vault 94 Jumpsuit" and "None" in my experience