Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

How did you play in the beta without preordering

beta codes were given out like candy on reddit, playing the beta put my opinion of this as higher than metal gear survive but basically the same tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Backhand posted:

So, unwashed filthy newbie here who hasn't been following the thread at all and didn't play the Beta; forgive my ignorance.

Ever since I heard about this game I've been wanting to like it, but have been massively turned off by a lot of the design decisions regarding no NPCs and the ancient engine and the half-assed PVP and level requirements on weapons and such - as far as I could determine, 76 might be a halfway decent game, but it sure as poo poo wouldn't actually be a Fallout game. Watching a few youtube reviews over the past couple of days, I've seen about 10% positive coverage and probably 90% negative.

What is the thread's opinion? I have a buddy I like to do coop games with and it's been a while since we've had anything new to play through. If I temper my expectations, is 76 at least halfway decent as a "run around and shoot poo poo with a buddy" game in the vein of, say, Borderlands 2? Or does it fail at even that?

It takes from a bunch of genres and does it worse than any of them would have, It's a watered down RPG, a poor shooter, a simplified survival game, an extremely limited building game and a bad PvP game.

It's also not really outright bad and it seems like, fun enough, but it's got nearly zero legs and feels like a game I'd play for like, 15 hours then go on to something else. it's like the definition of trying to do like 20 different genres and getting to the "it's fine" level on every single one, but never any further.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

I am having fun playing Fallout 76, but I would not recommend that anyone buy Fallout 76.

Same, it's not in any way offensively bad, it's just, not much. I'll play some 15-30 hours of this then in ten years when someone asks me to list the fallout games I'll forget this one had came out.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

None of that made any god drat sense lol. Buncha nonsequitor npcs that really really stretch your suspension of disbelief if you have a pulse.

Fallout 2 was that way honestly as well. Fallout 1 was pretty serious but with many jokes, fallout 2 and 3 were silly silly silly all the time then NV hit back to the tone of 1 and four hit the tone of "we are a serious plot" but with like, remnants of wanting to have silly things too?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rhymenoserous posted:

NV was chock full of silly poo poo or did you not do the ghoul spacemen missions?

I don't know, all the games were silly in parts, but I still group 1 and nv and 2 an 3 as separate takes on humor, like I can not imagine nation of dave being a thing in fallout 1 but it'd have fit perfectly in 2.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

This game is brutal by yourself. I'm only level 4 and every bad creature swarms me with a half dozen friends, so I spend a lot of time crawling around in stealth mode like I'm Gollum or something.

I am really bad at videogames and I feel the opposite, like the difficulty on this game seems low to the point it feels glitched. Like fighting same level enemies seems easy to the point of not feeling right and it's only enemies that are like 5 or more levels higher that feel like fallout 3/4 normal difficulty.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bobulus posted:

Have any of the goons playing experienced a nuke getting dropped? I'm wondering if it just exists as an event on the map, or if you get a server-wide notification or what? I need some raw cobalt flux, and apparently the place to get that is nuke sites...

A serious sounding radio broadcast cuts and a 2 minute(?) countdown timer starts while it tells you to evacuate and there is a big red circle on the map and everyone on the map gets a quest to get away from the circle or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I got the grafton monster event and standing in an upstairs window it insta killed me before I even looked at it, so I corpse ran back to my body and in the time it took the level 30 monster had 75% of it's health taken by some wandering super mutants then I stood in a doorway and shot it from far away with a pipe rifle and my shots felt like they did way more damage than a level 8 shooting a level 30 should do and I killed it solo with zero problem and not even ever getting a clear look what the monster even looked like.

I feel like that is my summary of this game, it's like half way between that being a cool organic story of an experience I had in the game and 50% it feeling like a thing happened and I barely interacted with it by just running at a map marker.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

b0red posted:

lmao for real?

also you don't use schematics automatically and they weigh a bunch to carry (for some reason) if you want another 'man that wasn't obvious at all" tip

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The two things I genuinely like about this game are that many of the holotapes are legitimately good once you get past how bafflingly bad they are implemented in the game and the perk card system is actually super fun and a good balence between railroaded development and total randomness.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My new least favorite thing: if you are playing PC on the controller and get to a text prompt like naming a blueprint you have to go to the keyboard to type. I have my computer in an entire different room from the tv I play controller PC games on.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zelder posted:

And it's gonna work because gamers are the greatest consumers this world has ever seen

I'm the infinitely perfect customer: I got a free beta code, decided the game was extremely bad then bought it at near full price because I have a weird fondness for playing bad games in series I like a lot. I also went out of my way to play mass effect andromeda and metal gear survive. I don't wanna buy every bad game, but I am always super attracted to seeing first hand how bad series I like can misstep.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It is infuriating how hard CAMP is hard to deal with. A multiplayer game answers the question of "why am I bothering with making this look good" on putting a bunch of work into a construction but this game absolutely brutally punishes every single aspect of having a complex camp compared to 'my camp is just the C.A.M.P with a bed and every crafting station in a circle.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VanillaGorilla posted:

This game has its problems, but I legit find the Responders line and the Overseer's story pretty good - somehow the lore in this game is better than Fallout 4. Descending into the mine and passing the Firefighter's final exam was really good and atmospheric.

Honestly the right way to play this game is to pretty strictly follow the main quest. It's way better than it should be and this game hits it's worst when you do the "run in a random direction and try to make your own adventure" like other fallout or elder scrolls game support. The main story and the stuff around it is actually really good. Like it has the problems everything has like everyone being dead minutes before you find them but stuff like the airport diaries were legit well done in a way not much fallout stuff is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

greenman was 12% off by the end of the first day.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like I am more able to put up with this game being terrible and not working right because of years of mods sort of conditioning me to have that be the way these games are.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Suave Fedora posted:

I don’t think we will see synths. They were in 4 but 4 took place almost 200 years later.

Yeah, super mutants shouldn't exist either but they hand waved that away in a single computer entry and they are everywhere in 76. If they want synths there will be synths.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What is the weird wind chime noise that plays everywhere even mean?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Enemies - General: Fixed an issue in which some enemies could chase the player farther than intended.

thank god. This was one of the worst parts of the game. Getting an enemy stuck on following you and never ever being able to get away from it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Father Wendigo posted:

But we did get the latter half of that? We've even had the future purchasable holiday content spoiled since it was unencrypted. :confused:

It's weird, the game hands out a TON of atoms, I can't really understand who the cash shop is for. Like anyone that played enough to need multiple cosmetic outfits surely plays enough to do all the daily and weekly and character challenges enough to buy whatever.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

MGS4 was a masterpiece. You are thinking of MGS5.

MGSV is one of the best games ever and a pretty good example of how you can totally mess up the story as bad as any game in history and still have the gameplay save it. Just like other metal gear games have whiffed on big parts of the gameplay and had the story save it.

76 could have been good no matter how bad the story was if the gameplay was there, or have the gameplay be as bad as it wants if the story was legitimately compelling.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The public workshops are so weird, it's like the game has a totally separate, vaguely more interesting/complex camp system that is super hard to engage in and is utterly ruined by the online nature of the game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pinely posted:

Like the camp would have a smaller budget and you'd build tents to house your benches/beds/etc. You'd move that around with you, but if you wanted a base you'd claim a workshop somewhere and have to defend it.

Nope, you drop down that camp and it's by default just wooden structures exactly like FO4. Moving it around is a pain in the rear end even if you keep it small. And don't build anywhere too interesting or someone else might overwrite your base.

That is what I mean though, I was hours and hours into this game before realizing public workshops even existed and are like, a bunch of stuff that are sort of good ideas except this is fallout 76 so nothing seems to actually work correctly or be fully thought out.

Like why do I want a steel extractor exactly? I can't carry or store a large amount of scrap. Putting into into the base itself is a great idea, but the building budget being low and the online nature making the base super impermeant makes that dumb too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like I am having fun with this game but also think it's a bad game that will exhaust me from playing after 20-30 hours instead of being like the other fallout games that I can put 100 hours into then pick up again and again every few years. Everything wrong about this game feels like stuff that kill the desire to play it long term but nothing feels unfun about going through the base content once. Like at it's core it's just fallout 4 gameplay and it's fun to see some new enemies and weapons and stuff, even if it's obvious that there is no long term legs to that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rhymenoserous posted:

My cynical guess is they didn’t want to pay voice actors.

Game has plenty of voice.

My theory is there is some gamebreaking bug in the engine that can't handle multiplayer online NPC interactions. I talked to one of those sales robots while someone else did and the menu was glitching out like crazy, where it was showing things they were selling but would get error messages if I tried to buy them. I bet there were like half way through development, realized it'd take 6 more weeks of development to make server side conversation work correctly and just stripped out every single interaction that would give the engine any trouble.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Server down for maintenance, another patch?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sneakyfrog posted:

if all the visual glitches me and ladyfrog werent hilarious we would be complaining a ton about em

enter zone

one person is naked

the next person is suspended in the air and glides like a loving ghost

next zone

one person is invisible except the gun

one person is just a power suit helmet and stretch armstrong naked guy

I still have literally no idea if scorched standing perfectly still in a T pose until they trigger and attack you is a glitch or some kind of creepy lore.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I have noticed that most world objects are glued in place as static background interactables but certain cans still work as physics objects you can kick around, is this server or client side?

Like, if I somehow made a pile of cans I could stand on would that show up in other people's world's or would I just levitate to them?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
gamebryo is just a rendering engine, it doesn't really do any of the gameplay or physics or anything. zoo tycoon, catherine, civ iv and epic mickey are all gamebryo engine game. But for some reason everyone has decided to blame all bad programming in besthedia on it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this game makes a ton of sense if you think of it as besthedia figuring out that adding multiplayer to it's engine was going to be really expensive but wanting online features in future games so trying to monetize the development of the upgrade by releasing a game on the partially finished new engine. Like I bet the engine team and the game design team basically didn't talk.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Polish Avenger posted:

I could see that. Because this is going to be a monumental task, more than likely. The dread some of those poor devs had to feel, if the same guys were still around, when they heard they wanted multiplayer in Creation engine, had to be immense. Like they know all the cheats and hacks you can get away with because they've always assured you it's a single player engine. Now, every single one of them has to be reworked. They probably went to a meeting and came out with three times the tech debt to work off. I'd be a little pissed, maybe, since from it's inception guys have probably been asking "will we ever want multiplayer? Should we make these systems so you can easily plug in netcode and more than one PC?" and I bet they were told "gently caress no! Hack it together, we got releez daaaayts! Also sleep under your desk."

Yeah, I bet in some ways this game was a massive overhaul of the engine where they had to remake a ton of stuff from scratch to get it from where it was to being 75% as good as it was before but with multiplayer. Which is the sort of thing that is almost certainly going to be good for future games but isn't particularly great for the consumers that bought this game. Like I absolutely can see "we will get dialog trees back in on version X.YZ" and the team making this just screaming that they need them in by the version this game will be written on and the two teams just not getting what they want.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What is the deal with magazines in this game? They are shockingly rare and hard to find, have the most minimal bonus. Like bobble heads being limited consumables was bad enough but it feels unclear why magazines are even in the game. Like a whole super rare item that has a bonus of +50% healing only from fruits and vegetables and only if you are on a team. That would be a lame perk even if it was permanent. As a single use 30 minute buff that is one of the rarest items in the game, what the hell?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

Permanent powerups would be so good it would be "obligatory" to collect for the players, creating a busywork. They made them temporal for that.

Is not a well developed part of the game, they should have found another use for them than temporal powerups.

That seems like the argument for why bobbleheads had to be bad. But the magazines are almost all perks that are so minor they are outclassed by common food. Or are just near uselessly niche, like 15% damage to liberator robots. It seems like there would be zero harm to making a perk like that a permanent collectable.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
my favorite thing is that if you build for long range you can shoot enemies from far enough away their corpse despawns and you can't get any loot

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Powershift posted:

lol, imagine accidentally getting TWO nazi lookin tattoos.

“Accidentally”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rinkles posted:

also, how am i supposed to stockpile fusion cores with this stash size?

You can store infinite in a power armor frame at zero weight (but they vanish randomly)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Backhand posted:

Hahaha, of course they do.

My favorite part is I don't have any clue which side of that is the bug.

Is it a bug that you can store fusion cores in the armor in advance and they delete because you shouldn't be able to or are you supposed to be able to and it's a bug that they all randomly vanish occasionally?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I wish this game gave you like a pie chart of what was taking up your carry weight, I feel like 90% of the weight issues are that nothing weighs what it seems like it would and it's super easy to be carrying 150 of something that weigh a half pound each without noticing, while a bunch of stuff that sounds like it'd be heavy just kinda isn't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Namaer posted:

When do game of the year awards start getting decided, and how many of them is Fallout 76 gonna win?

gonna win a bunch of giant bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Do people not like junk scrapping? I love junk scrapping. It both feels like a really good translation of a thematic thing (scrounging a post apocalyptic world) into gameplay and is also a way way better solution on how to reward light exploration in levels without needing to make an unfun "collect the 9999 pip boys hidden in the game" collectable hunt. A bunch of open world games struggle on what to give you as a reward for minor tasks and this felt like a perfect answer that fit perfectly in the setting and didn't feel unnatural or stupid.