Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rufus Ping posted:

number three pigs 1 2 and 4 and release them in the security megathread

oh cool, binary pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

oh cool, binary pigs

number them 1, 4, and F

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wheany posted:

oh cool, binary pigs

2🐷

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

if the servers or the company running the servers aren't located in Europe what can the EC do to penalize them?

they can block their bank transfers via treaties & seize any assets within jurisdiction but really they will probably not do anything because the game is so old i cant believe it even exists

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Krankenstyle posted:

they can block their bank transfers via treaties & seize any assets within jurisdiction but really they will probably not do anything because the game is so old i cant believe it even exists

what bank transfers? the company's straight-up refusing to do any further business with europeans

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what bank transfers? the company's straight-up refusing to do any further business with europeans

shaggar was talking, explicitly and in simple words, about Europeans continuing to play on non-European servers

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Ah, the cardinality of the continuham

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

spoken as if extending the B&W thinking of the security janitor megathread over the whole world wouldn’t cause an immediate species-wide extinction event from epileptic shock

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shaggar posted:

if the servers or the company running the servers aren't located in Europe what can the EC do to penalize them?

"Hi u can't enter the world's largest market or get existing poo poo out.

-Yours in Christ,
The EU"

A little while later someone else kicks your rear end or rolls you up into their product offering.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

listen: the company has already cut off contact with the EU. theyve banned european users. they dont want to be there.

the hypothetical was whether intrepid free-market europeans would be able to use their service or lack of same anyway

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I love how loving mad some Americans get when legitimate democratic power is thrown behind a popular effort thousands of miles away

This is an insane tangent an we all deserve sixers, minimum, for making GBS threads up a pretty lean thread :toxx:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 28, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

to the extent GDPR is relevant, which I guess is a stretch for a security thread, its enforceability and applicability probably are too?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fwiw i think storage of data (and whether GDPR is correct/sufficient/applicable or not) is a security issue

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'll just point out that most of the major tech companies use a subsidiary corporation in Ireland as a tax dodge. They, and by extension all the money flowing through, are in the EU jurisdiction.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

fwiw i think storage of data (and whether GDPR is correct/sufficient/applicable or not) is a security issue
ya but arguments about jurisdiction can go elsewhere. it's a good framework for getting a company to know how data flows inside of it and the penalties are tertiary to getting a basic understanding of that across businesses

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'll just point out that most of the major tech companies use a subsidiary corporation in Ireland as a tax dodge. They, and by extension all the money flowing through, are in the EU jurisdiction.

not for long, apple was just ordered to pay the 13 billion in taxes that ireland had given them a special deal on. special tax deals are dead.

ill shut up now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Potato Salad posted:

"Hi u can't enter the world's largest market or get existing poo poo out.

-Yours in Christ,
The EU"

A little while later someone else kicks your rear end or rolls you up into their product offering.

Oh no someone might try to clone my dead 25 year old mmo with 9 users.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Oh no someone might try to clone my dead 25 year old mmo with 9 users.

i think you mean…

knowonecanknow posted:

Ive been playing a bit again. The server is pretty empty, usually 100 people on. I last played on this server back in 2013 and it seems like all the old accounts are gone.

>9 but <200 users

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did anyone expect any different?
Compliance with GDPR is a business decision for companies like any other compliance question. For example if paying a fine is cheaper than actually being compliant they will do so.
In this case they figured they only had very few users in Europe and decided to drop them instead of investing money. The money from EU subs isn't enough to justify the investment.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
If this is to be believed, the official international main Ragnarok Online server have under 2,000 average concurrent, which is lower than what some private servers pull. It doesn't surprise me that they don't want to bother with compliance.

ed: I checked one of the biggest private servers' news page and they've announced GDPR compliance, so, lol

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 29, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

how many europeans still play a 16 year old game though? probably they decided to ditch the 5 active users instead of overhauling their entire account system (that is apparently for some reason wildly incompatible with basic decency?)

the game can still be good fun in small doses, but as is usually the thing with games, it's good despite the incompetence, not because of it. it's probably leaking user data on every step of the way.

i guess some private server will get an influx of the ~300 active users and that'll be the end of that story

e;fb

Violently Car posted:

ed: I checked one of the biggest private servers' news page and they've announced GDPR compliance, so, lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Truga posted:

the game can still be good fun in small doses, but as is usually the thing with games, it's good despite the incompetence, not because of it. it's probably leaking user data on every step of the way.

i guess some private server will get an influx of the ~300 active users and that'll be the end of that story

e;fb

wasn't ragnarok one of those games that wasn't actually fun at all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

wasn't ragnarok one of those games that wasn't actually fun at all

it was one of those game where you could gently caress your character up if you didn’t read a build almanac in advance

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I thought some nefarious secfuckup had happened when I saw the unread post count, but it seems like poo poo came from within.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Subjunctive posted:

to the extent GDPR is relevant, which I guess is a stretch for a security thread, its enforceability and applicability probably are too?

fwiw this thread frequently forgets that security governance is a huge part of a modern security program. it's not just computer touching in a soc.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
since you guys were talking about facebook, just saw this reply to a report I did!

facebook always great at removing bad stuff from their own service as usual

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Krankenstyle posted:

special tax deals are dead

i wonder if this has anything to do with i'se seen multiple references to a new african silicon valley

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Celexi posted:

since you guys were talking about facebook, just saw this reply to a report I did!

"We're sorry you were offended"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

good thing you didn’t report a rohengya genocide group. the zucc shows up and personally rip your balls off when you do that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Celexi posted:

I thought some nefarious secfuckup had happened when I saw the unread post count, but it seems like poo poo came from within.

insider threats are generally unappreciated

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Celexi posted:

thank god i can at least remove them from my ~facebook experience~

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Celexi posted:

"Sorry, we just can't bring ourselves to remove 'Kill This Ethnicity' from our platform. You don't have to see it if you don't want to though."

Sidebar: Sponsored content about :airquote: White Genocide :airquote:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

redleader posted:

insider threats are generally unappreciated

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

"Sorry, we just can't bring ourselves to remove 'Kill This Ethnicity' from our platform. You don't have to see it if you don't want to though."

Sidebar: Sponsored content about :airquote: White Genocide :airquote:

you ~did the right thing~ though, here have a gold star because you're a winner

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://twitter.com/zerosum0x0/status/990015653158375424

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
idgi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

ETERNALBLUE is a problem of a "store word" instruction with a dword value

While I'm pretty sure IA-64 has st2 (store 2 bytes), the compiler did not optimize (or maybe it over-optimized, or the C was too explicit) and therefore this srv.sys driver uses two st1 instructions

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wow a bug in itanium? im sure all 2 servers will be a nightmare to remediate

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is that good

what's the deal with the dec alpha one then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy