Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I really don't know how to feel about this show. I want to like it because I remember enjoying the book, I love cyberpunk to death, and I'm pretty sure this is the biggest budget TV show ever made in Canada? Which is pretty cool.

Some of the missteps are just killing it for me though. Everything with Quell is terrible. Why does she dress like an alien from Stargate? Why is her dialogue so terrible? Why does she appear every 5 minutes in certain episodes to say the exact same stuff she said 5 minutes ago. "GET TO THE NEXT SCREEN" Yeah ok we got that the first 7 times.

All of the overly dramatic stuff in Kovac's past is just making me roll my eyes.

And some parts of the show look really cheap in comparison to other parts. Ortega's apartment bothers me for some reason, it just seems like it's almost entirely empty. I don't feel like I'm getting a good sense of this future world, it just looks like budget Blade Runner without it's own sense of style. The fight scenes aren't great, and the acting is pretty hit or miss.

Maybe I'm just frustrated because I just watched episode 7, which everyone seems to agree is the worst. I actually laughed out loud when Kovacs is like "You didn't get her. You'll never get her" followed immediately by the shuttle being destroyed with perfect comedic timing by lasers that look like they're out of an Asylum movie.

Ugh I don't know. I hate being negative because it's not the worst show. But it just feels like missed opportunity, the interesting stuff from the start of the series is discarded for awful melodrama and cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is actually true. Ortega explicitly states she's not done unpacking her poo poo because the apartment is meant to be shared with Ryker and she wanted to do it with him.

Admittedly I forgot about this. The apartment was just the first set that I thought of when trying to explain how I feel about the look of the show. I am sure I'm not articulating it right, but something about the world in AC just feels empty or not right. Like they could have gone balls out crazy and done literally anything but instead everything looks very pedestrian.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Ok I finished the series yesterday and have softened my stance somewhat. The last few episodes are messy but they never get as bad as Ep 7 and there's some pretty cool moments in there.

I actually came around on Rei being Tak's sister. It makes the conflict more personal, and it shows how utterly corrupting the power of the Meth's is. I would have liked it more if she was less crazy about getting Tak back though, and was just using him. After all it took her 250 years to get him out of prison, would have made more sense if her love for him was just a ploy. Her showing up in Ortega's body was pretty creepy though.

Quel continued to be the worst part of the show though. her extremely on-the-nose story about the princess had me rolling my eyes hard. Tak: "tell me a story that doesn't end in misery and death" Quel: "it was a time of horrible war. There was a princess and she was brutally killed in battle, but maybe not. The end."

So I don't really know how to feel. I maybe had my expectations too high. I find TV shows often disappoint me compared to movies, it seems there's very few shows that can do storytelling as well as the best movies out there. Altered Carbon is frustrating cause it had the potential to go there but there's just a lot of stuff that doesn't feel quite right to me. I do hope the series continues to be at least decent because I will take as much cyberpunk media as I can get.

As for the philosophical conversation, one of the things I like about AC (the book and the series), is that rather than explore these old philosophical questions that have been shown in tons of sci-fi already, it focuses on finding out what a society based on this technology would be like. Concepts like the Envoys (in the book) and Meth's having automatic backups are really cool.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Grognan posted:

I WILL MULTISLEEZE AND WE ALL WILL ENJOY OURSELVES AND NOT GIVE A poo poo ABOUT WHO THE gently caress COMES TO CLIMAX.

So having not read the books is this closer to the expanse's reimagining or game of throne's rewriting?

I haven't watched eithet of those shows but there are some major changes from the books. Tak's backstory in particular is heavily altered (no pun intended) and not for the better.

• Locked thread