Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clones in the vaults are maintained by regular electrical impulses. They evem stste this in the series the first time they visit Bancroft's vault. Regular sleeves just get stored cryogenically on life support.

didn't the bad guy from shadows of the empire have a similar sort of electric ab machine?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

If I have the same number of particles you do and you die and I live, would you be concerned?

Number of particles preserved is not how anybody defines death. Nor is "no discernible difference". If I killed you and replaced you with a robot that perfectly mimic'd you, then your family may be none the wiser and not be concerned. But you would be. (At least until you're dead)

it's a watchmen quote

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
The prohibition on multisleeving seems awful arbitrary

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i hope when i die they put my brain data in a drone and i can go seek out civilizations and buzz their aircraft carriers

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
“Aliens made it” feels like a cop out

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What, Stacks? It is. The book versions are entirely a human creation. They're treated as being about as exotic and mystical as a smartphone, aside from the Catholics and they're a dying sect.

Oh I thought someone said in the books Martian’s built them abs the second is then messing with a stargate or some poo poo my bad

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noo. If Martians had stacks, people would've been talking to them centuries ago. Plenty of Martoan corpses have been found over the years.

That’s super cool. So the martians had stargates and spaceships and poo poo but no stacks? Weird.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
So one thing that never got addressed or I missed: what happens to the original person’s personality? They put these 200 y/os like Kovaks into a body... what happens to the original “soul” or mind or whatever you want to call it?

Like if they clone a custom sleeve for a rich person does the old soul get overwritten and effectively die?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Tiggum posted:

There was no original person. The body was just grown in a vat with enough brain function to stay alive and no more.

just because you’re in a vat doped up on benzos having your muscles stimulated like the guy from Shadows of the Empire doesn’t mean you have no soul - they’ve been killing (erasing?) loads of people ☹️

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Elephanthead posted:

So the biggest plot hole is why does Kovacs care about the lady cop with the robot arm? This makes no sense what so ever. Am I missing something?

she is extremely hot

that and they bond through shared experience :shrug:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
not having read the books i often felt like i was not fully equipped to infer things that weren't spelled out in the show

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Young Freud posted:

Haha, what?

I thought that was like personal headshots (demonstrating range) or promo shots from something else.

Not that Netflix and the Altered Carbon producers aren't playing up the sex appeal. I saw a post they did on Facebook going over the "Cyber Hunks" of Altered Carbon.

It’s cyberpunk/outrun Orange is the new black

(Pink and Cyan are the new Red and Blue?)

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
so do headshots = stack death or does he have to hit the neck specifically?

there's a ton of headshots when he breaks out of the torture company, including the guy his partner promised not to kill, and i'm not clear if they're dead or Real Death'd™

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the distinction you're making or how you think stacks work. The whole point is that they replace the brain, that's how you can transfer from one body to another. If the brain was still doing its job then there'd be two minds in the one body.

This is why I was raising the issue earlier of what happens to a custom grown sleeve’s soul/brain/mind

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Young Freud posted:

The head shots sleeve-killed them, but you see him going around that room shooting them again, so he was basically ensuring that they would never come back.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s also why when Kovacs snaps and starts RDijg people a bunch of characters step back and go “that dude may be a little very unstable.”

wait was this in the books or the show because iirc when he wakes up and RDs the lab there's no one with him to go "whoa man not cool" (cause they're all RD'd)

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ortega is absolutely furious with him in the book for RD'ing the entire Wei Clinic in the book, and the only reason he slides on it is because the Wei Clinic aren't pressing charges. Something about not wanting cops to see their illicit dissection labs and obscenely-illegal virtual torture software, I guess.

I guess the fact that it’s the state and not individuals who “press charges” has been forgotten in our cyberpunk future.

(Yes it is this minor legal faction that punctured my suspension of disbelief)

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Zil posted:

Think they explain this in the book in that the people in the clinic were property, so the clinic not pressing charges means the cops can't do anything.

Even the doctors? That’s hella cyberpunk

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Do we still need to mark spoilers?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I enjoyed this show when I watched it, but holy hell the more I think about it the more I get annoyed about changes from the book. I usually roll with adaptations but they pretty much went to make the worst changes at every step.

I went in not knowing there was a book. I felt like they assumed we’d have read it and a couple times felt lost til I cheated and looked at Wikipedia

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Binary Logic posted:

Head In The Clouds uses pusher bots for quick trash disposal.

Death = Probation
Real Death = Perma ban

Thanks it's all starting to make sense now.

yeah on rewatch just realized he shoots his dad through the stack which is pretty badass

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i can't believe anyone wouldn't want to keep around a body like ortegas at all costs :love:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

saihttam posted:

I love Kinnamans pink backpack. Is that in the book?

Also did anyone else suspect it was intended to be Hello Kitty but the deal fell through?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Didn't Kovacs mention that his charity work was just theater for his own ego?

All charity is for ego, as Joey from Friends proved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowJfUmlzeI&t=65s

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Does anyone know what song is playing in episode 6 when Takeshi's sister saves him?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0uvyWc4gA

The original More Human Than Human is by White Zombie.

aw looks like they just did enough for the scene, no full length :qq:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Torquemada posted:

One of the production team said something like “We’re so glad everyone enjoyed the awesome lobe story of Quell and Kovacs, because that’s what the second season will be about” in an interview.

If the keep the outrun aesthetic and naked Martha Higareda I’ll watch it all

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i want to see a show where there's a cyberpunk niagara and the hero goes over in a cyber barrel

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Stupid question but in the last episode when Lizzie's character is running around killing... how did she end up looking like Lizzie? Is she actually in some random sleeve and they're showing her for the viewer's benefit so they're not confused?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the show gets a second season it's gonna be all silly times and super ninjas, because the writers won't have a book to write their main plot for them.

i hope we get a cyborg ninja

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i really liked the whole plotline with Poe / The Hotel

the idea of these AIs that are sentient isn't explored super thoroughly but very interesting.

why even send humans to the stars if ais can effectively mimic us?

(when that nyt ufo story broke i thought a lot about this idea - that maybe ufos visit us, but they're not manned)

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Poe was probably my favorite character on the show.

He just wanted to be friends :smith:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

twistedmentat posted:

Without knowing anything about the books, none of the changes really bothered me. Though stuff like Rei doing everything in her power to make Takashi hate her in some weird attempt to bring him to her side was just :psyduck:

Show wise, Quell being the one who invented stacks and her wanted to stop it because she had guilt from realizing that she had created a permanent caste system where the wealthiest could live for ever like gods on Olympus while everyone grubbed in the muck made sense from what we saw.

A season 2 I'd want to see more Noir detective cyberpunk stuff, but I personally would love for there to be exploration of the Aliens and their legacy, but as I said, personal desire. I just love aliens and stories about their legacies and humans kind of fumbling around with it.

Poe was awesome and I hope they bring him back.

i was surprised she didn't announce they were not related and she wants to gently caress him honestly, that's how obsessed she seemed

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you manage to blank out her little visit to The Raven in Ortega's body?

And to be perfectly fair, it's a legitimately well-written disturbing scene.

oh yeah... was she going to gently caress him if he didn't catch on?:stare:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well, yeah, because she just wants to gently caress him full stop. That's her basic motive behind everything she and Takeshi go through in the modern day plot.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Martha Higareda is very pretty

• Locked thread