Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

The backgrounds aren't static, they're individual sprites fit together on a 3D plane to give an illusion of depth. There's thousands of individual pieces that fit together like legos.

I was curious myself though and ripped some of the games files. I don't know the specifics of Unity, but I thought this game was using some kind of in-program manipulation of 2D sprites but apparently everything is hand animated at individual frames. Like Angus' running animation, something I don't think I've seen and I'm on chapter 3, is 23 individual sprites. Bea's eyelids closing is like 11 sprites and each character can be made of a dozen or so parts pasted together with unique custom animations for weird stuff they can't just auto tween like swinging the bat.

There's literally thousands and the game was built for 1080p 60fps so you can do the math on why it's 5-ish gigabytes. The music is also about 1gb in total.

:stonk:

al-azad posted:

Night in the Woods' depiction of small town religion is quite refreshing. The church as a pillar of this colonial community is evident in most people's lives but it's crumbling like everything else, not because of twisted dogma or corruption but the pettiness of people. The pastor is the one adult trying to grow the community, trying to change, while the council clings desperately to what crumbs are left.

I just didn't expect to see that in a video game.

NitW becomes way, way, way better if you lived in or around Western Pennsylvania at any point or even just visited for a while, because that's what Possum Springs basically is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm sorry that the game you wanted to play is made by both a designer who at best put his foot in his mouth, and a neo-Nazi.

Honestly if you abstract this out all video games have at least one developer on it who is a nazi. EA studios can have over 300 employees so statistically speaking you're guaranteed at least one nazi per project.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

We need a remake of this game, stat

can you remake LCS? I find it difficult to imagine the game without the ascii interface.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

it hurts when i see mgsv stuff

it was so close to being literally the perfect game. if kojima only had another year... :negative:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Counterpoint: Kojima nearly bankrupted Konami making a game who's main contribution to the over-arcing series story is that it fixes a plothole in a 30 year old MSX game.

Konami is only there to launder money for the Yakuza, I really doubt they care what he spends.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

boy i could sure slam down a whole roast chicken right about now

same but only if I crack open a wall to get at it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/961930780007157760

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Olive! posted:

Man, they could have done a better job with this SotC remaster

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

I've kinda lost track of what's happening the series anyway. I don't even remember if wesker is alive by 4 or not

Here's a fun fact that I learned about RE7 the other day. The group mentioned in the DLC, Not A Hero, is The Connections. They're specified as a group that worked with Wesker's HCF force.

That's right.

RE7 is a sequel to Code Veronica.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

I need to play the DLC stuff, I think one of them was free which is what I have (chris redfield smoking zombies in a swamp or something?)

If you have both of them please make sure you play End of Zoe last, because it loving rules and you'll be disappointed with Not a Hero in comparison.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

what does your day job look like with hideo as your supervisor

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

New Sonic All Stars Racing?

gently caress yeah

In sad news,
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2115044

quote:

In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we don’t regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

Stephen Kick
SS remake is dead. I know it says hiatus but I'm not holding my breath for a video game hiatus ever returning.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chat thread can a daedric prince die? can you kill one? what happens if you do

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Please don't give Konami money.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Look just pretend like ryu konami loves gamergate and justify not purchasing the game that way

Just don't give Konami money

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Celeste seems cool but I have zero faith that the controls are good enough for the platforming that it wants you to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

People really wanted to gently caress that character after the comic she was in and bliz obliged them I guess

• Locked thread