Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

HEY, goalies are weirdo nutcases in this sports world full of superstitious rituals and one of them doesn't talk to people while he's preparing for a game. Why do they want to make it so hard for me to write my copy and paste article? :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/961647107252797440

*looks at Isles defense situation*

Brendan, how'd you like to stay in NY?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/TomUrtzJr/status/961647679376936960

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

EVERYTHING
MUUUUSTTT
GOOOOOOO

WE'RE HAVING A FIRE SALE THAT'S RIGHT A FIRE SALE YOU WANT A LUNDQVIST YOU'VE GOT IT YOU WANT A MCDONAGH CONSIDER IT MCDONE

NO REASONABLE OFFERS REFUSED

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Admitting this roster's time is over, blowing up the team? Hey, as long as long as they're honest about it, go full into it and hopefully it makes a rebuild quick and painless.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The GM Jeff Gorton did know
Can't continue this farce of a show
no chance of a cup
just blow it all up
FIRESALE EVERYTHING MUST GO

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 9, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

DAN BYLSMA COME ON DOWN!

yellowcar posted:

Therrien decends

Jack Capuano is available, just doing assistant things in Florida

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/962158778115330048

He's good.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/962337465058119681

Let's Go Islaners!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Justin Bourne had an article on the Athletic that showed how they break down at the slightest bit of pressure and don't know how to cover people, don't know where to go positionally, don't know what to do in general when they don't have the puck. Now, either there are a lot of stupid players who don't know how to play the defensive system, or there's a stupid coach who doesn't implement a defensive system. This includes the forwards as well as defense.

Also Thomas Greiss has a .885Sv% which is terrible. But that's okay because Halak is picking up the slac- loving .905SV%

I mean, I guess it's hard for goalies to give a poo poo and/or stop pucks when the team defense is letting anything and everything happen in front of you. It's readily apparent that the Islanders are like a videogame where you pulled the defense sliders down so you got extra points to pump into offense.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sports Poetry Thread

The NY teams are still bad. I'm still mad

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

FBS posted:

They can give out Seattle Battle Cattle Rattles for playoff-game atmosphere.

STICK SAVE! Kept the puck out with the Seattle Battle Cattle's paddle!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

DuhSal posted:

I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a deserter. You have a right to trade me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with the Sweden National Team… seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into training camp to inoculate some rookies. We left the training camp after we had inoculated the rookies for polio, and this old grinder came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every stick. There they were in a pile. A pile of little sticks. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some AHLer. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was hip checked... like I was hip checked with a diamond... a diamond hip check right through my body. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had four divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to score without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without Melnyk! Because it's Melnyk that defeats us.

:five:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Stretch Marx posted:

Because it's still illegal to highstick people? He flubbed the shot and it bobbled by Murray because of getting that stick in the face. The fact it went in is secondary to the fact he still got a stick blade to the nose.

AFAIK if a team scores after a penalty but before the whistle to call the minor penalty, the penalty is .... kinda negated?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

eXXon posted:

Again, it was a goal scored on the powerplay, so it should have ended the penalty that was already being killed and resulted in another full two-minute powerplay for the high-sticking.

WHOOPS! That's what I missed. Alright, yeah, nevermind what I said

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And then I had to check and saw that Dipietro is still getting paid until 2021.

What a world.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Watch Grabner and Nash and McD all get injured tonight

https://twitter.com/BrettCyrgalis/status/966794538395332608

Worry not

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Levitate posted:

Breakout year at 30 is pretty suspect

Paging ThinkTank

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRaoHi_xcWk

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Not a trade:

https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/967955304095862784

lol well gently caress you too?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/FitzGSN_/status/968234966244044800

I guess in whole that doesn't seem bad? I don't know if Hajek or Howden are good, though.

Whatever, gently caress it, let's see how it plays out

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Dumb Idea alert:

What if draft position (for non-playoff teams) was decided by the number of points a team gets after being mathematically eliminated from playoffs? Instead of straight up tanking, you'd have to sandbag then go on a tear to get a good draft position. Players probably don't like it much when fans cheer for a loss, or having people talk about a tank. And a terrible start to a season could be salvaged if you go off. Also, you can still make trades after the deadline, right? It's just that the players aren't playoff eligible? The idea of a bad team trading for like, EK, to get a better shot at someone like McDavid, would be hilarious.

Anyway, dumb idea, but I thought it was fun. Also 3 pt regulation wins would be nice, but whatevs.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Eh, fair enough. Not having much time between elimination and the end of season doesn't give a lot of meaningful action. Not as much of a race as I'd imagined. I guess it sounded better in my head. TBF I did give a dumb idea alert.

glynnenstein posted:

This is actually a good idea that has been floated for a long time. It's known as the Gold plan.

Cool that it's been kicked around before, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

If the point of the draft is to redistribute new talent to the worst teams, there shouldn't even be a lottery let alone some wacky scheme to actually win a high draft pick.

Or is a draft really about controlling player agency.

Eh, I think it's more like wanting a draft that rewards bad teams that want to be good? Teams with a straight up tank job aren't that fun. At least with a wacky scheme, even a bad team is competing for wins. I guess it lessens the likelihood of fans cheering a loss.

I dunno man

EDIT: Maybe this ties into that thread in SAS from a while ago all about league parity and stuff

• Locked thread