Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Sorry to step in on racism chat but, just in case there were people not watching last night, I want to make sure people see my cool and good friend Jimmy Butler doing cool and good things

https://streamable.com/gv9lo

I had to go check.

*tugs at shirt collar*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I had to go check.

*tugs at shirt collar*

That's not good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I had to go check.

*tugs at shirt collar*

He's not good op

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Its not so much that he is not good, it's that he still plays like he is good. He jacked up so many shots, just threw his body at the rim. He still has his vision and passing, but he just cant move anymore. It's really sad.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I had to go check.

*tugs at shirt collar*
I had to go check.

*mops brow, wrings sweat from rag*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

scuz posted:

I had to go check.

No turnovers and a plus 3!!!

Max him

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its not so much that he is not good, it's that he still plays like he is good. He jacked up so many shots, just threw his body at the rim. He still has his vision and passing, but he just cant move anymore. It's really sad.

He's like 18 games past hip surgery so I think its early for him to start resigning himself to a role player. The Lakers will want him to keep trying to put it together and get past this injury if he can, so he has a green light. The best thing for the team and for him will be to keep putting up shots and keep trying to break down defenses, whether or not its working.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

did Adam Silver really say that Steph Curry was the reason the allstar draft was not televised? Very predictable and sad if true

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

He's like 18 games past hip surgery so I think its early for him to start resigning himself to a role player. The Lakers will want him to keep trying to put it together and get past this injury if he can, so he has a green light. The best thing for the team and for him will be to keep putting up shots and keep trying to break down defenses, whether or not its working.

He never got surgery.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

He never got surgery.

Yeah haha he basically went about the whole thing in the worst possible way

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

No turnovers and a plus 3!!!

Max him
After being on the fence for a while, I'm prepared to offer this fence dismount:

If Andrew Wiggins is a max-worthy player, it's not for this team. He isn't performing like a max player for the wolves, maybe he will elsewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Absolute same

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

scuz posted:

I had to go check.

*sweating intensifies*

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

scuz posted:

I had to go check.

Andrew Wiggins is having the worst season of his career by most advanced metrics the year before his 5 year, $145 million extension kicks in :stonk:

Funnily enough, he's having his best season by DBPM! Turns out he needed to preserve all his energy to be a good scorer, and putting in any effort on defense has turned him into an all-around useless player

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scuz posted:

After being on the fence for a while, I'm prepared to offer this fence dismount:

If Andrew Wiggins is a max-worthy player, it's not for this team. He isn't performing like a max player for the wolves, maybe he will elsewhere.

We should sign and trade him for Paul George in the offseason because I want to see him, Russ, and Carmelo share the floor

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CRISPYBABY posted:

*sweating intensifies*

*drowns in pool of own sweat*

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

zoux posted:

Absolute same

My king is so inspirational

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man I remember when the extensions went through I was kinda worried about how much money the Derozan/Lowry/Ibaka trio was locking up but the combination of how wildly successful it's been versus looking at things like the Wiggins and John Wall contracts and I'm pretty happy with it.

I mean obviously it could still fall off in a year or two/those guys who are currently being embarrassing could get it going in year 2 or 3 of the deal, but the initial returns are promising.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scuz posted:

It's ok he's only like 215th out of 488 qualified players in RPM!

Tyus is 11th #FreeTyus

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249000/Wolves-Not-Planning-To-Sign-Derrick-Rose posted:

Derrick Rose was linked to the Minnesota Timberwolves following reports of his buyout from the Utah Jazz, but Glen Taylor said it is not something the team is currently considering

“If we could find the right person to fit into our team and have some ability to play, get out there on the floor, we are certainly going to look at it,” Taylor said. “We kept one slot open all year long just in case that possibility occurred. But as of today we don’t have anybody in mind.”

Rose previously played for Tom Thibodeau with the Bulls.

Minnesota already has Jeff Teague and Tyus Jones on their depth chart at point guard.

*unpoops pants, draws first breath in 7 days*

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

scuz posted:

Awww yeah look at my beautiful boy Dipo over there.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Do people think the high-profile manner in which giant extensions have kinda backfired, combined with the general lack of cap space, will create an MLB-style depression in the free agency market for big-money players this offseason? People are even treating the Blake Griffin deal, which honestly feels like market value for a legitimately good player, as if it were toxic.

My instinct is that NBA owners will probably find a way to spend money as long as nothing is stopping them, but a part of me also thinks teams might not be lining up to give Zach Lavine $25 million a year now that there's a bunch of cautionary tales

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Compared to MLB , NBA contracts are way shorter (usually 4 years with an option year ) and are closer aligned to a players peak years. Also MLB owners are colluding and committing like 40 unfair labor practices.

There is already a correction in the market tho following 2016 . Lou Williams got like 8 mill a year . kCP couldn't get s huge deal. There are tons of RFAs coming up that didn't get extended last fall.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

Do people think the high-profile manner in which giant extensions have kinda backfired, combined with the general lack of cap space, will create an MLB-style depression in the free agency market for big-money players this offseason? People are even treating the Blake Griffin deal, which honestly feels like market value for a legitimately good player, as if it were toxic.

My instinct is that NBA owners will probably find a way to spend money as long as nothing is stopping them, but a part of me also thinks teams might not be lining up to give Zach Lavine $25 million a year now that there's a bunch of cautionary tales

ESPN (I think) had an article a little while ago about this. Basically the market is going to be depressed until ~2020 when all the contracts that came from the cap explosion expire, because teams will have cap space/money again.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

zoux posted:

Absolute same
must they run their mouths

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

scuz posted:

He's a mini-max guy (many teams would have offered it) and the numbers are the same as the mini-max has always been, it just looks big right now until all contracts are inflated. Contracts are no "bigger" as a portion of the cap than they were before.

But his role on this team is rough. He's playing better defense, but he's not a off-ball, 4th option on offense type guy. I wrote at the beginning that I hoped he played more with the bench because he's going to get lost on offense otherwise. And when Butler's been out Wiggins has played pretty good! So either Thibs needs to redo his rotations (which I don't blame him for not doing when the offense is playing this well and their record is so good) or they need to think about replacing him next season. I think they can work with the roster and have Wiggins play the 2 with the 2nd unit more to get Butler more rest, but I dunno if that will actually happen.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I would be so happy if Lebron just said “Who?” when the inevitable Laura ingrahamcracker question comes up. Please hit em with the “I don’t know her.”

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

xbilkis posted:

The big extensions which have backfired/will probably backfire are mostly injury related, right? John Wall has no knees, Blake gets hurt when the wind changes directions. Maybe teams will stop throwing huge cash towards avian boned men.

Is Andrew Wiggins the healthiest player to ever totally underwhelm on a giant contract? WS per million earned (adjusted for inflation or % of cap/relation to the max) would be a fun stat

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

He's a mini-max guy (many teams would have offered it) and the numbers are the same as the mini-max has always been, it just looks big right now until all contracts are inflated. Contracts are no "bigger" as a portion of the cap than they were before.

But his role on this team is rough. He's playing better defense, but he's not a off-ball, 4th option on offense type guy. I wrote at the beginning that I hoped he played more with the bench because he's going to get lost on offense otherwise. And when Butler's been out Wiggins has played pretty good! So either Thibs needs to redo his rotations (which I don't blame him for not doing when the offense is playing this well and their record is so good) or they need to think about replacing him next season. I think they can work with the roster and have Wiggins play the 2 with the 2nd unit more to get Butler more rest, but I dunno if that will actually happen.

Is a guy who can't function as a complimentary piece really worth the rookie max? I know other people probably would have offered it to him (although after this season, it's a lot more likely that nobody would have bothered), but how much of that was attributable to him being The Man on offense due to his draft position?

How many other players in the league could score 20+ ppg while not contributing much in any other facet of the game if their team was comfortable letting them be the lead offensive option?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

How many other players in the league could score 20+ ppg while not contributing much in any other facet of the game if their team was comfortable letting them be the lead offensive option?

That's a little unfair to 'Melo though since he gets rebounds sometimes and can make free throws

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

I would be so happy if Lebron just said “Who?” when the inevitable Laura ingrahamcracker question comes up. Please hit em with the “I don’t know her.”

Uh, don't ignore Sports Expert Laura Ingraham

https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/146320833307099136

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Is a guy who can't function as a complimentary piece really worth the rookie max? I know other people probably would have offered it to him (although after this season, it's a lot more likely that nobody would have bothered), but how much of that was attributable to him being The Man on offense due to his draft position?

DeRozan wasn't a rookie max, but it was reasonably close and he had worse numbers than Wiggins across his first 3 years. Eric Gordon got the identical contract, and while his 3rd year was better he had a big injury risk (Wiggins has been the most consistent iron man in the league). The contract was pretty much what you'd expect. If it was a 5year, 14mil a year in 2013-14 it'd be the identical impact but it wouldn't be called a gigantic contract coming off the books this year.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

xbilkis posted:

Yeah there's been a bunch of think pieces this year about how the market's swinging back down. Whether it happens or not we'll see because it only takes one GM willing to shell out to inflate the market for everyone else, but that seems to be the thought floating in the air.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lockback is going to defend Andrew Wiggins's contract until he's dead and gone, at which point a hologram of Lockback will defend Andrew Wiggins's contract until the end of time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Giannis did not get the rookie extension max.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/Not_Cloaked/status/964360676733939712

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lockback is going to defend Andrew Wiggins's contract until he's dead and gone, at which point a hologram of Lockback will defend Andrew Wiggins's contract until the end of time

Same thing happened with me here for Demar's post-rookie contract. Everyone on here shitted all over it, with me being it's only supporter.

The difference I think now is that Wiggins does not have nearly the drive Demar did (perhaps more toolsy though). All he seems to want to do is play videay games

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Same thing happened with me here for Demar's post-rookie contract. Everyone on here shitted all over it, with me being it's only supporter.

The difference I think now is that Wiggins does not have nearly the drive Demar did (perhaps more toolsy though). All he seems to want to do is play videay games
That's all that I want to do and I can confirm that I do not have the drive of *glances around* anyone I know, and every adult responsibility can gently caress off into the sun. I am Wiggins, max me, papa Glenn.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Wiggins is 22. When derozan was that age he was equally awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nah gotta write people off. Can't consider someone getting better.

Be like me. Never write a player off as trash because of a bad start of their career.

• Locked thread