Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

E2M2 posted:

Got a feeling that the Warriors are gonna lose to OKC or Rockets. Seems like teams have figured them out now.

They may lose in the playoffs (not likely), but I'd hardly say teams have "figured them out" when they're not even trying super hard and still easily have the best record in the league. Their thing is that usually the 4 best players in a game wear a Warriors jersey - everyone figured that out a few years ago, and it doesn't really matter. Talent wins in the NBA, and they've got the most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

What I don't understand is how KAT only took 8 shots that game. His FGA are down 5 attempts from last year, am I crazy for thinking he should probably be the first or second option on that team?

He is almost certainly their best offensive weapon, so you're not crazy for thinking that. Probably Thibs doesn't like that he can't play defense tho (so much so that he yells at him about it so much the refs take sympathy on KAT and call Thibs for T's), so Jimmy gets more shots because he definitely does play defense. Not that giving Jimmy the ball on offense is a bad idea, but you really shouldn't have a game where your All-Star caliber young big only gets 8 shots.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I just watched Anthony Davis block or redirect like 30 points of shots in the last 20 minutes or so of game. I saw him possibly get a finger on a midrange jumper (he mighta had like 3 more blocks than he was credited with) then he turned around and caught the airball jumper under the basket. The Nets started throwing throwing everything 50 feet in the air to try to get around him. He's so god damned incredible

Isn't he still kinda not good on defense despite getting alot of highlight blocks tho?

hitze posted:

Ben Simmons needs to...........................................................simmon down

I'm embarassed for you and myself for having read this :saddowns:

Simmons is a solid, above average starter on a decent - goodish team, which is super impressive for a rookie, and he appears to be a lock to become a perennial all-star type of player. In the future. That doesn't make him an all star player right now tho, not on the level where an MP for his home country needs to lodge an official protest when he isn't selected.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 11, 2018

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Say what you will about Cuban (he's a good owner imo), but he's got a point. We've all mostly jumped on the Sixers bandwagon and deified Hinkie, but much like with how OKC built their Finals team a few years ago (ie lucky with draft picks), it's not a very repeatable process. I've always hated when fans look at their team and realize they won't reach the Finals this year so they think they should tank for draft picks. That's not to say you should sign a bunch of average vets every year just to field a respectable team, but if even 5 NBA teams did what the Sixers did, it would destroy the league pretty quickly.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Did you read the entire thing?

Pretty sure I did, tho I don't really know how Twitter works so I may have missed something.

edit: Twitter is hosed up and confusing - was the important thing the small quote at the bottom right where he says he told his guys they should lose? After reading the longer quotes about how he doesn't like tanking, I figured that quote was the beginning of him saying "Our best bet is to lose......but I don't like purposely losing" or something like that but it got cutoff because, again, Twitter is hosed up and confusing. Either way, my points still stand, I'm just referring to his original (?) comments about tanking.

euphronius posted:

Sixers finished last once. The Lakers have a worse record over the last 4 years (iirc)

The Sixers still haven't done anything with The Process tho, and the Lakers have a couple dozen championships while famously never tanking. We're all assuming the Sixers will at some point be good, but there's a bunch of very plausible things that can happen that would derail them, just like it did to numerous other young teams who built their teams without a full blown multi year tank. Cleveland didn't tank, they just sucked hard after Lebron left and got mind-bogglingly lucky with lottery balls. Warriors didn't tank, and again got fortunate with draft picks working out. Houston never tanked, and always had a competitive team. Boston is like the Lakers, they never tank either. Those are the 4 teams that are likely to be in the conference finals this year. Toronto also never tanked and were routinely criticized for it, and if it isn't Boston v Cleveland in the ECF, then it'll be Toronto v Cleveland.

morestuff posted:

1) Hinkie was right about the best way to build a team, at least in terms of odds
It's hard to say that their method has a higher chance of succeeding when they haven't succeeded yet themselves. The Process looks alot worse the next time Embiid has to sit for a season due to injury (be honest, you know this is at least a strong possibility)

morestuff posted:

2) Cuban is a loudmouth idiot that talks out his rear end
Alot of the times, yeah.

morestuff posted:

3) Packing it in once a team is out of playoff contention is what every team in every sport does and not remotely comparable to the 76ers rebuild
No it's not, you're right, and I didn't say it was comparable, nor was it what Cuban was referring to. Sitting your vets and playing your young guys more once you're eliminated from the playoffs is a reasonable thing to do, and actually gives your fans something to look forward to for the last couple months of the season. The hesitation I have is that the Sixers did that from the beginning of a couple or 3 seasons.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 20, 2018

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

B36 I can't respond to a post with multiple nested quotes so I will concede you are correct.

My strategy has worked!

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

:cawg:

The Lakers were blatantly tanking during Scott's last year.

And what has it got them? A deeply flawed PG, and a couple other draft picks that they're trying to or have already traded away.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

So did they tank or not ??? because you just repeatedly claimed that they've "never tanked".

I only said it once actually. They won all their championships when they didn't tank, you brought up that they tanked in Scott's final year. If you want to say that they tanked for a year or two, then it seems reasonable for me to point out that since that time they've not only sucked but they also have little to show for it.

How many teams have blatantly tanked and gone on to win a ring because of it? The Spurs 20+ years ago? Is that it? Where are we getting the idea that blatant tanking has the highest chance of success? What is that based on? The Spurs have had a few seasons since getting Duncan where people thought they should tear it down and tank for picks, but they didn't and won rings anyway. The Sixers aren't (yet) a success story for tanking.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I literally cannot imagine a more insufferable arguement

Yes, I also hate talking about basketball here in the basketball thread.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

The goal of the process is to get superstars through FA
, trades and the Draft . That's because superstars are how you win championships. Saying they aren't a success because they haven't won a ring is goal post moving.

Thus the process is already a success and still has more left to go through another pick and a max slot for a trade or FA

Before process : no superstars
After process : two with a chance for a couple more

Getting superstars thru FA, trades and the draft is how every NBA club has ever built a team, that isn't some revolutionary new idea that Sam Hinkie came up with. Your definition of The Process is so broad it includes literally every single transaction ever made in NBA history. And saying they don't have to actually win anything for The Process to be vindicated is pretty hardcore goal post moving.

The Process certainly can work, I'm not denying that. But just because it can work doesn't mean it's automatically the best way of doing it. Previous history would suggest that there are other, more effective ways.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Papercut posted:

The Sixers this year are basically what OKC was in '09-'10. They have a couple guys who look like guaranteed superstars assuming they remain healthy, plus some very good prospects and a lot of flexibility. Any fan who wouldn't relish that chance is either incredibly spoiled or crazy. I would trade the Blazers' last 4 playoff seasons for that situation in a heartbeat.

Well sure, if your metric for success is "more promising long term than the Blazers", then you'd also trade their last 4 playoff seasons for about half the teams in the league. The Sixers aren't the first team to ever have a few promising (injury prone) young guys, a small payroll and some draft picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

I genuinely hope nothing bad happens to the players. I really have only friendly rivalry feelings for U of A :) Just joshin' around

I'd say there's a 5% chance he's back. I don't think they'll risk anything. He's getting on a zero-gravity treadmill soon and is doing all sorts of weird virtual reality rehab and is doing really well from all accounts though

Is "virtual reality rehab" what he's calling 10hr marathon sessions of LoL?

• Locked thread