Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

How accurate is this?

not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Tom King doesn't write in French..

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Samuringa posted:

How accurate is this?

Flatters being ignored once again...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Samuringa posted:

How accurate is this?

At the very least the Editor should be passed out on a beach chair or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ignoring that those might not even be different people, the colorist and letterer work in parallel, and the flatter (as noted) would go before the colorist. The editor would be somewhere above all of them, taking a nap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The writer should be 500 feet tall and made of solid gold.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

JordanKai posted:

Flatters being ignored once again...

Forgive me for, what I assume is, a stupid question - but what's a flatter and why are they not credited?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedi posted:

Forgive me for, what I assume is, a stupid question - but what's a flatter and why are they not credited?

A flatter sets up solid, flat blocks of color for the colorist to then render fully. Ignoring the awful pencils and colors, here's an example.

This is only for digital coloring, as far as I'm aware, but I don't think many comics are hand-colored anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really don't understand why DC keeps bringing in Alan Moore's non-DC characters into DC proper. Like what is the point of using Tom Strong? The original ABC comic built off of the idea that he had this whole 100 years of being a superhero before the comic started, which I'm doubting he'll have in the DC universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

I really don't understand why DC keeps bringing in Alan Moore's non-DC characters into DC proper. Like what is the point of using Tom Strong? The original ABC comic built off of the idea that he had this whole 100 years of being a superhero before the comic started, which I'm doubting he'll have in the DC universe.

Because they own them. Why own something and not use it? This isn't the first time, it's why Watchmen started as a Charleston pitch and was moved to original characters. They think there's value in adding them to the DCU so why not give it a go? And like I've been saying for a while, V for Vendetta is next. Just wait.

And Marvel is really no different. They bought Angela and integrated her into the MU and was there any reason to do that other than to give Todd the bird? It certainly sounded like they had the same plans for Miracleman before whatever cocked that up. If there wasn't a clusterfuck involved in bringing the Ultraverse back I'm sure they'd have integrated them by now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

And Marvel is really no different. They bought Angela and integrated her into the MU and was there any reason to do that other than to give Todd the bird?

You say that like they need another reason.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

A flatter sets up solid, flat blocks of color for the colorist to then render fully. Ignoring the awful pencils and colors, here's an example.

This is only for digital coloring, as far as I'm aware, but I don't think many comics are hand-colored anymore.

So then, since so many comics are digitally colored - why is the flatter not credited? Or are the two jobs usually done by the same person?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jedi posted:

So then, since so many comics are digitally colored - why is the flatter not credited? Or are the two jobs usually done by the same person?

Flatters are pretty common and I assume they don't often get credited because they are a reasonably new part of the process and this industry is extremely resistant to change the way they've always done things even as they are eaten alive by manga and webcomics

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jedi posted:

Probably because they have no input to the creative process. They perform a task that should be automated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

You say that like they need another reason.

They'd been trying to get him to come back and do a Spider-man project for years so it felt kind of silly to do what they did. Let's face it, Angela will never matter. A New Spider-man story drawn by Todd would top the sales charts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's super overselling Todd's sales value, much like all his baseball memorabilia was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

I like the middle one the best

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's super overselling Todd's sales value, much like all his baseball memorabilia was.

No it isn't, Todd returning to Spider-man would be as big as Doomsday Clock if not bigger. Did you see the kerfluffle over that Venom variant that just reused his art? People were going loving nuts for it and that wasn't even new art.

You bring Todd back to do Spider-man VS Venom and he actually draws every page and it dominates the month it's released.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who is Todd?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who is Todd?

Todd McFarlane. Don't even play.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Todd McFarlane. Don't even play.

Why would him doing Spider-Man be a big deal? It's 2018, not 1998.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why would him doing Spider-Man be a big deal? It's 2018, not 1998.

Not for comic book companies! It's going to be 1998 for decades.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this is like that movie where the guy uses his ham radio to talk to his dad in the past, but Rhyno is using his Windows 95 machine to post on a comic book forum in the future?

There's two very important things you need to know about the future. 1: Spawn does not stay the most popular comic book forever. 2: in the early to mid 2000s you're gonna want to make a lot of statements about how the president is the worst, stupidest president of all time. Hold off on that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
McFarlane doing Spider-Man would be massive.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could see like a one off issue being a collector's edition type thing, but I don't think him doing a run would generate a massive amount of interest.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I am definitely not a fan of Todd but it absolutely would be huge. gently caress DC still acts like it's 1992 and anybody still wants to look at Jim Lee art. The image guys are still legends as far as sales. If they made a new x force comic with Liefeld on art it'd sell millions and he was always a punchline.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is genuinely baffling to me. putting "From the Creator of Spawn!" on the cover doesn't even move copies of Spawn, why would it be so big for Spider-Man?

If we're wishing for 90s comic icons to do Spider-Man why not wish for the Hernadez Brothers, or Jamie Hewlett?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean Venom is apparently still popular enough for them to make a drat movie so

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Look man while you're busy pretending that the comics industry isn't flogging 90s nostalgia until it bursts, can I interest you in some 3D lenticular covers for the latest crossover event? Or maybe a nice renumbering? Look, this one says #1 on it, it's sure to be a collector's item and fetch millions on eBay! Better buy three!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is genuinely baffling to me. putting "From the Creator of Spawn!" on the cover doesn't even move copies of Spawn, why would it be so big for Spider-Man?

If we're wishing for 90s comic icons to do Spider-Man why not wish for the Hernadez Brothers, or Jamie Hewlett?

Uh. You wouldn’t advertise it as From the Creator of Spawn.

McFarland S-M is pretty loving iconic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

No it isn't, Todd returning to Spider-man would be as big as Doomsday Clock if not bigger. Did you see the kerfluffle over that Venom variant that just reused his art? People were going loving nuts for it and that wasn't even new art.

You bring Todd back to do Spider-man VS Venom and he actually draws every page and it dominates the month it's released.

lol at the idea of McFarlane being able to do a monthly book at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

lol at the idea of McFarlane being able to do a monthly book at all.

I said MONTH singular.

And I'm laughing my rear end off at the notion that someone is ignorant of Todd's popularity. They could wait 10 more years to get Todd back and he'd still crush everything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

McFarlane's Spawn was hugely influential in the way we see Spiderman (the stories were meh) but McFarlanes influence in the look of Spiderman really revolutionized the way Spidey is shown. There is a reason that McFarlane is seen as one of the most influential Spiderman artists ever. The fact that McFarlane has been gone from the character so long means that the idea of him coming back hasn't been diluted and it would be quite a big scoop to have him back. That being said McFarlane probably cares more about the poo poo he had this morning than he cares about coming back to Spiderman/Marvel and there is no-way in hell that he could do a monthly comic so if by some act of heaven he did agree to do a Spiderman comic expect to see issue #2 of 6 with #3 coming out somewhere in the next 18 months.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You know how Spider-Man has big, expressive eyes, and how they even added little servos to his mask in the new films since it's such a huge part of the kinetic nature of the character?

If you think how agile and acrobatic he can be is an even bigger part of that character, good news!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

purple death ray posted:

You know how Spider-Man has big, expressive eyes, and how they even added little servos to his mask in the new films since it's such a huge part of the kinetic nature of the character?

If you think how agile and acrobatic he can be is an even bigger part of that character, good news!

Neal Adams was massively influential for Batman, but somehow Batman: Odyssey wasn't a runaway mega-hit

Rhyno posted:

And I'm laughing my rear end off at the notion that someone is ignorant of Todd's popularity. They could wait 10 more years to get Todd back and he'd still crush everything.

In ten years it'll be, what, at least a quarter century since anyone thought about Todd McFarlane?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Neal Adams didn't have one of the single best selling comics of ALL TIME. Todd is going to be talked about as an artist for as long as this medium exists. I can't even take you seriously and I'm pretty sure you're being a contrarian troll just to stir the pot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Neal Adams was massively influential for Batman, but somehow Batman: Odyssey wasn't a runaway mega-hit

Again I think this has more to do with dilution. Adams was still doing variant covers and such with the character (and Green Arrow and anyone else) so it wasn't as big a deal. Still I think there was a fuss when Odyssey was first announced.
Anyway, Odyssey is too special for this world.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Neal Adams didn't have one of the single best selling comics of ALL TIME. Todd is going to be talked about as an artist for as long as this medium exists. I can't even take you seriously and I'm pretty sure you're being a contrarian troll just to stir the pot.

It is really weird to me how you exclusively refer to Todd McFarlane as just "Todd"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is really weird to me how you exclusively refer to Todd McFarlane as just "Todd"

Okay just dodge the actual topic here, that's cool. He's easily, without any doubt the most well known artist named "Todd." When in comics you same that name people automatically know you who you are talking about.

Maybe some weirdo thinks you're talking about Dezago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in the context of comics, who else could todd be referring to

• Locked thread