Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

shameful

is jokes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

graph posted:

is jokes
ah, the puppetmaster

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

graph posted:

is jokes

Nice meltdown.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bhodi posted:

ah, the puppetmaster

still mad about the vidoe games thread being nuked lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

graph posted:

still mad about the vidoe games thread being nuked lol
video shames are serious business much like snypes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bhodi posted:

video shames are serious business much like snypes

yeah which is why you cried about it for two months

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

graph posted:

yeah which is why you cried about it for two months

okay

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

no boring slap fights tia

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

no boring slap fights tia

sorry

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shaggar posted:

shameful

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

shameful

page 2 filed early

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Shaggar I double-dog dare you to post your w-2.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
#postthew2

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

in other news 2017 is now officially the year that i broke the six figgy barrier :toot:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have to pay because I'm a forgetful moron

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Rex-Goliath posted:

in other news 2017 is now officially the year that i broke the six figgy barrier :toot:

congrats

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol etrade is gonna take another 2 weeks to get my tax documents ready

can't wait for my $1500 refund to inevitably into me owing that amount

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My 1099 from my brokerage account won't be ready until Middle of February OP, so therefore i have not done my taxes yet.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Rex-Goliath posted:

same except household instead of i :toot:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I bought a house this year

I have no idea what I'm doing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

in norway (and i guess other civilized countries), the tax forms is delivered out digitally and pre-filled with everything the government knows about you. most of the time you don't have to do anything to them, they are considered as filed if you don't do anything by the due date.

i think most yosposters would still have to do more than this, due to business taxes and stock holdings and poo poo

yes the american system is barbaric, but come on, all of us were gonna suffer either wayq

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think most yosposters would still have to do more than this, due to business taxes and stock holdings and poo poo

yes the american system is barbaric, but come on, all of us were gonna suffer either wayq

https://www.propublica.org/search?qss=intuit

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
NYC got tired of olds/poors/people who can't speak english getting hosed by predatory tax preparers, so if you make $66k/year or less they'll have someone do them for you, for free

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jimmy Carter posted:

NYC got tired of olds/poors/people who can't speak english getting hosed by predatory tax preparers, so if you make $66k/year or less they'll have someone do them for you, for free

that's a real good idea and should probably be federal policy. i don't think the tax preparer lobby would mind all that much either since they make their money off people making more than that anyways

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i guess in a roundabout way that sort of already is federal policy since all the big preparers have to give their basic stuff away for free

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

that's a real good idea and should probably be federal policy. i don't think the tax preparer lobby would mind all that much either since they make their money off people making more than that anyways

tax preparers make tons of money off the low end. getting your taxes done costs about the same whether you make $30k or $300k.

literally anything more complicated than 1040ez is a gold mine for them. even 1040ez is lucrative if they can loan you your refund up front.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

i guess in a roundabout way that sort of already is federal policy since all the big preparers have to give their basic stuff away for free

even if they don't have to, they would choose to

offering 1040ez filing for free is a way to build ~*~ brand loyalty ~*~ in young people, and also a great opportunity to upsell

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

TurboTax free literally says "here's last years info, want us to carry it over for you?*"

*only supported if you pay, hail capitalism

then it slowly moves progress bars backward and deletes everything in the most insulting and frustrating way

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

TurboTax free literally says "here's last years info, want us to carry it over for you?*"

*only supported if you pay, hail capitalism

then it slowly moves progress bars backward and deletes everything in the most insulting and frustrating way

and this is always why I print my returns to PDF before I e-file them

also wtf my bank hasnt got me my 1099-INT yet, I used to not give a poo poo because I didn't have any money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even if they don't have to, they would choose to

offering 1040ez filing for free is a way to build ~*~ brand loyalty ~*~ in young people, and also a great opportunity to upsell

this is why i change brands every year

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
TaxAct has gotten shittier every year, and this year it is doing this:

I have no loving clue where this magic $4800 in "Other Income" is coming from, after going through their wizard and all my statements. I think this software and my taxes are... a POS!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i normally like turbotax (lol gently caress intuit) but this year they are sitting on my return saying the forms aren't finalized yet - what gives!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mad Wack posted:

i normally like turbotax (lol gently caress intuit)

:thunk:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intuit may be an awful company, but turbotax is actually a pretty good product. my taxes are fairly complicated sometimes and it handles them pretty well.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'm using hr block for the first time and i'm liking it better solely for the fact that it isn't constantly trying to upsell me and acting all passive aggressive whenever i say 'no thanks'

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Management posted:

intuit may be an awful company, but turbotax is actually a pretty good product. my taxes are fairly complicated sometimes and it handles them pretty well.
Yeah even poo poo like filing an amendment for a couple years ago because of a schedule K1 that I received late, TurboTax did really well and handles for me automatically ever year with a carry forward

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I used to use Tax Slayer because I saw it on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s car.

It was simple and barebones and looked a little web 1.5-ish but was cheap and didn’t beg me to upgrade. but then Dale Earnhardt Jr. stopped winning races so they made it fancy and charged for stuff so I just jump to whatever is free.

Right now if you’re a Capital One customer you can file HR Block Premium return for free, just log into your CapOne account and click the link. I’m doing that this year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

FCKGW posted:

I used to use Tax Slayer because I saw it on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s car.

It was simple and barebones and looked a little web 1.5-ish but was cheap and didn’t beg me to upgrade. but then Dale Earnhardt Jr. stopped winning races so they made it fancy and charged for stuff so I just jump to whatever is free.

Right now if you’re a Capital One customer you can file HR Block Premium return for free, just log into your CapOne account and click the link. I’m doing that this year.

yeah that's what i did and i forgot it was their premium service. so that's why it's not bugging me, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bad news: Won't be able to expense business miles after this year due to changes in law

Good news: Should be able to get credits for building a new house if I do it right

• Locked thread