Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

10 cloverfield lane was a movie so bad they couldn't get it released without adding in aliens and the cloverfield name.

it's generally considered a good movie though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Cloverfield is the weak link in 10 Cloverfield Lane but the strong link in this pile of poo poo. I think the production companies' had no faith in either to strap it to Cloverfield, but one was good and one was bad so far.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

it's generally considered a good movie though

If it's generally considered, then why did they think they needed to attach on the cloverfield name and aliens? Riddle me this batman! I want you to know that I think the movie could have stood on its own but they decided it couldn't.

This is nothing more than a decent movie's brand steady decline into straight to dvd.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 11, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

If it's generally considered, then why did they think they needed to attach on the cloverfield name and aliens? Riddle me this batman! I want you to know that I think the movie could have stood on its own but they decided it couldn't.

This is nothing more than a decent movie's brand steady decline into straight to dvd.

It has 90% on rotten tomatoes, so it is literally considered a good movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alhazred posted:

It has 90% on rotten tomatoes, so it is literally considered a good movie.

Wonder woman has like a 90% also. Don't act like rotten tomatoes is a good indicator.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Wonder Woman is also considered a good movie. You're not helping your point

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wonder woman is like, the one good movie to come out of this comic book nonsense in years, don't be that guy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Wonder woman has like a 90% also. Don't act like rotten tomatoes is a good indicator.

Indicating if a movie is considered to be good or bad is literally rotten tomatoes' purpose.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wonder Woman is okay

It was charming to see Wonder Woman being a fish outta water. And uhh, I guess that's it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

Well yeah, it definitely still could have stood on its own but it still needed an actual threat outside of the bunker and they wanted it to make a lot of money instead of maybe breaking even.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Well yeah, it definitely still could have stood on its own but it still needed an actual threat outside of the bunker and they wanted it to make a lot of money instead of maybe breaking even.

This.

10 cloverfield lane was probably tracking have a well-reviewed, generally under-the-radar release. Maybe it was tracking to make a few million profit. Someone realized that, holy poo poo, we could throw a some weird poo poo in at the end and call it a cloverfield movie, generating an absolute shitstorm of free online advertising and guaranteeing that a ton of people will see it.

Rebranding 10 Cloverfield Lane was a genius move.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Cloverfield rebrand shows that the studio didn't think the movie would make money without it, not that it was objectively bad. Given things like are usually a bad sign of quality but it's still ultimately meaningless in saying if a movie is good or bad

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Getting people to show up for an original film is hard these days. Every lovely transformers movie makes half a billion just because the word transformers is in the title. I imagine slapping the word Cloverfield on the title increased revenue tenfold.

Good luck making a bunch of money from a movie that isn't a comic adaptation, a prequel, a reboot, a sequel, or a book adaptation.

I loved the handwaving away of science in this movie though.

"If we activate the particle accelerator again well make it back home because of quantum entanglement."

Also, there are only two dimensions.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 11, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the accellerator interacted with two dimensions but the implication is they caused serious damage that somehow breached multiple universes at different points in time. There is probably a cloverfield set in the bronze age collapse and the aliens in 10 cloverfield are probably there because we ripped a hole in space time and they've decided to wipe us out in a retaliatory act.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

viral spiral posted:

It's embarrassing how you so willingly let other people do your thinking for you, I guess.

I think its more of an accelerated version of thinking back and going “hang on, how the hell did the arm know to write the message?”. I would have gotten there eventually but reading about it just made the process faster.

I was still entertained though. Best way to think about this movie imho is as a full blown schlocky haunted house movie in space that you’d watch on some lower tier movie cable channel on a Sunday afternoon.

I haven’t seen event horizon but it’s actually on my queue. I didn’t hear it had a bad reputation. Not considered a classic but still pretty effective at what it tried to do.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

"basic hitler" posted:

There is probably a cloverfield set in the bronze age collapse

is it wrong that I want this

The Sea Peoples were actually aliens attacking from their mothership that crashed in the Mediterranean!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

1stGear posted:

is it wrong that I want this

The Sea Peoples were actually aliens attacking from their mothership that crashed in the Mediterranean!

Ever watch the movie "noah"?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

AceOfFlames posted:

I was still entertained though. Best way to think about this movie imho is as a full blown schlocky haunted house movie in space that you’d watch on some lower tier movie cable channel on a Sunday afternoon.

Even if this was the only thing I watched this month on Netflix, I would have felt that I got my money’s worth.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RobotDogPolice posted:

Getting people to show up for an original film is hard these days. Every lovely transformers movie makes half a billion just because the word transformers is in the title. I imagine slapping the word Cloverfield on the title increased revenue tenfold.

Exactly. What got butts in seats for 10CL was the title; the implication that we knew what was going on on the surface.

Hell, pull back even further on it: would there have been many people here who had seen or heard of 10CL if it would've been The Cellar, with the ending being Our Heroine looking at a nuked Chicago from afar?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
In a fully multicultural crew why is Tam the only one who speaks her native language and why the gently caress can everyone understand her. I mean she clearly understands english cos the rest of the crew all speak it to each other when they have the big round table discussions and she seems to know whats up.

Also, "I need two other crew members to come with me and turn this handle that only needs one person to turn it and I also forgot to mention that this will disengage this whole part from the rest of the station' lmao this was The Core levels of retardedness except thats an actual fun bad movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Because Zhang Ziyi is really not a good English speaker, which is part of the reason her career never went anywhere after Crouching Tiger

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

comatose posted:

why the gently caress can everyone understand her.

People can learn Chinese. It’s not a plot hole for people to know Chinese.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

comatose posted:

In a fully multicultural crew why is Tam the only one who speaks her native language and why the gently caress can everyone understand her. I mean she clearly understands english cos the rest of the crew all speak it to each other when they have the big round table discussions and she seems to know whats up.

I just considered it to be R2D2 logic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The implication is that in the future English is still the dominant global language, but the Chinese have become sufficiently influential that people on an international project are expected to also speak Mandarin. Firefly did basically the same thing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People can learn Chinese. It’s not a plot hole for people to know Chinese.

You know its never explained, they could just be reading the subtitles.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ocean’s 11-13 has the same thing with Yen who only speaks Chinese yet everyone understands him. It’s cool and fine.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I hope Cloverfield takes over as the contemporary version of the St. Elsewhere Theory. Slowly, but surely all movies - past, present, & future - will become enveloped by Cloverfield. There will be no escape.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cithen posted:

I hope Cloverfield takes over as the contemporary version of the St. Elsewhere Theory. Slowly, but surely all movies - past, present, & future - will become enveloped by Cloverfield. There will be no escape.
Oh poo poo, even Voltron has already been claimed by Cloverfield.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bet the Cloverfield lovers can't wait for the 4th Cloverfield movie that they slapped Cloverfield on is coming out this year.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im not in rush to watch it so great job being wrong.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
As long as it’s free I’ll watch it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally finished The God Particle script today.

First of all, it was closer to 10 Cloverfield Lane than Paradox is, but it doesn't stray to different realities.

The Earth disappears after the device is tested. One of the scientists is blinded after watching the test. The crew spends a couple months analyzing the stars and getting used to the idea that they will be hamsters in a cage until they die, but then they receive a signal from a European ship (Background: The US is at war with the EU).

After a tense vote, the US crew allow the EU people on to collect resources and then leave to continue their search for Earth, but at their big dinner the station dog dies after snacking on the poisoned food. The US guy who was eating during grace also dies, so the EU crew is put in a make-shift brig. While they're imprisoned, though, another member of the crew is murdered.

One of the US scientists reveals that he and another man are US Military and the device they have been testing is actually a weapon meant to be used against the EU to end the war, either through use or threat, and that as soon as the weapon was successfully tested, their orders were to eliminate the crew. The guy who talks throws suspicion on his partner, and he is locked up and the EU crew released, but locked in their ship for the night.

That night the scientist who was blinded goes to speak to him... however he cannot see a masked figure it in process of killing the incapacitated military guy (this leaves only Monk, Martinez, the other military, and the lead heroine as suspects). The blind guy is warned to run right before the military guy is killed, and after a chase the blind guy is able to kill the masked figure. He goes and gets the rest of the crew... except all three are accounted for, though the lead female is coming up the same corridor the blind guy did a few moments before, not in her room.

When they find the body and pull off the mask it's revealed that the killer is... a guy they've never seen before.

They quickly realize that the EU crew only revealed a few of their members and kept at least this one extra guy on board. Alongside this reveal the lead female reveals that she knows what happened to them. They are interrupted by a sudden attack by the now heavily armed EU crew- the masked figure unlocked them. The blind guy is killed, the remaining three flee to the substation and lose their attackers, killing one in the process. While they catch their breath, the lead female reveals that she was out of her room because she saw something: Mars. She explains that after seeing the planet, she ran programs based on its position and eventually explains that when they ran the device, they folded space and moved 6 months worth of distance away from the Earth... still in the solar system, just on the other side of the Sun. Based on her estimates, Earth is a 2 month travel distance away- the same amount of time the EU refugees took to find the US crew. The EU crew actually launched from Earth and went straight to the station!

The US crew decided to disable the station, and while sneaking around to get to the weapon they discover more unfamiliar faces from the EU ship. They are successful in destroying the weapon, launching it into deep space, however one of them has to stay behind to keep one of the EU members occupied, they are last seen huddling down next to each other watching the station fade away, companions for the next few hours until their oxygen runs out.

The last two remaining US members get to the EU ship as the station turns to disarray. One of the EU military personnel tries to launch to the ship, but misses and flies off into the void. Everyone else is left on the now disabled station.

They force the pilot of the ship to plot a course back to Earth, the end.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 15, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man that also sounds really bad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t blame them for putting “and then the Cloverfield monster went raaawrrrr”

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t blame them for putting “and then the Cloverfield monster went raaawrrrr”

And ending that improves basically every movie ever created, to be honest.

An old, broken man plays with an orange ball, presumably in Sicily. He collapses and dies in his chair, alone and unmourned. Just before it fades to black, a Cloverfield Monster Baby Hand picks him up and eats him.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The Clovering... It's happening...

Leeloo and Corbin Dallas embrace in the regeneration pod. The camera pans back then cuts to the voyeuristic gaze of the scientists and political staffers. The lead researcher blocks their view as the President takes a phone call. Screams echo through the chamber and the researcher's face turns to horror as Cloverfield spawn flood the room.

Bling Bling
Jun 9, 2001
Women are bitches since they won't fuck me.
That was... crap. As if they looked up a list of SciFi tropes and just picked a few at random.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I do wonder if there's an earlier draft of the script where instead of having a monster movie B plot, it was instead WW3 breaking out. So the space station could end the war in the parallel universe, but is the cause of the war in the prime universe. The movie would still have all sorts of problems, but at least the ending would make thematic sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simplex posted:

I do wonder if there's an earlier draft of the script where instead of having a monster movie B plot, it was instead WW3 breaking out. So the space station could end the war in the parallel universe, but is the cause of the war in the prime universe. The movie would still have all sorts of problems, but at least the ending would make thematic sense.

The current ending already makes thematic sense as a huge poo poo on the therapeutic narrative where the protagonist overcomes her trauma and embraces the liberal techno-utopianism of Star Trek.

Veidt: I did the right thing, didn't I? It all worked out in the end.

Manhattan: “In the end”? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Cloverfield Paradox is best understood as the work of some brave soul utterly destroying a mediocre film. The monster’s cry at the end is an exasperated “that sucked!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The parallel universe crew are just angry critics.

• Locked thread