Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Haleaziz/status/1527758198102319104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm working my way though the ruling, but the thing that sticks out to me is that it's a CDC order to control the spread of disease, and the Plaintiff States' objections are "illegal immigrants cost us money by using social services." I don't see how that's a valid reason to stop the CDC from revoking its order.

I'd also like to see how much economic activity is generated by the immigrants, and how it would effect the agricultural, construction, hospitality, and meatpacking industries of these states if the flow of immigrant labor was cut off.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.lawd.188754/gov.uscourts.lawd.188754.90.0_1.pdf

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Finally worked my way through the ruling. IANAL, but here's the summary. The 24 States who constitute the plaintiffs have standing in court due to the significant costs in healthcare and education spending they will incur if large numbers of immigrants come into the country. The surge in migrants that will result from a repeal of the Title 42 order is not contested by the defendants.

The court also states that the CDC's order to revoke the previous Title 42 order does not adhere to the requirements to provide a time for notice and comment as required by the Administrative Procedure Act.

Essentially it seems to say that the CDC can revoke the Title 42 order, but it must go about it properly.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.lawd.188754/gov.uscourts.lawd.188754.90.0_1.pdf

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Is it unrealistically pessimistic to see this lawsuit as a duel between the following ideologies:

We just killed a million people and:

neolibs: We have to replace them with immigrants asap before the dip in labor supply raises wages and working conditions

conservatives: tons of em were nonwhite and replacing them with more nonwhites will be one step forward two steps back

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Is it unrealistically pessimistic to see this lawsuit as a duel between the following ideologies:

neolibs: We have to replace them with immigrants asap before the dip in labor supply raises wages and working conditions

conservatives: tons of em were nonwhite and replacing them with more nonwhites will be one step forward two steps back

I think that's a completely justified viewpoint, yeah.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

https://www.cato.org/blog/census-finds-us-population-will-decline-without-immigration

CATO.org states that the US population will begin to shrink without immigration. Given that the population of citizens is trending older, an influx of younger people is necessary to fill job openings and keep the country moving forwards. Conservatives understand this at a basic level, but seem fine with maintaining the status quo of having a permanent undocumented underclass to perform various jobs, even if they want to stop the source of that underclass.

The vast majority of my co-workers are very conservative, what people on SA would call "chuds." Listening to them, they seem to think that people in the US who don't work can simply apply for welfare and spend the rest of their lives on government assistance, and that people who immigrate to the US without permission are also able to take advantage of the same benefits. That is, they believe that the US's welfare state is much more robust than it actually is. The un-stated, but heavily implied portion of that is that these benefits are only available to non-white people.

There is also the thought that cutting of immigration and coupling that with and ending of the supposed welfare benefits would force people on assistance to work, which is basically a fantasy as in rural areas there simply aren't enough native born Americans available to do the jobs. Wisconsin dairy farms would grind to a halt without a supply of immigrant labor, partially because every farm family in the Midwest isn't having 8 kids anymore. There is a reason you see all these small towns crumbling into dust, usually with an abandoned 2 story brick school house in the town from 1920s.

And unless I have missed something (which I may have,) the Biden Administration has not had any proxies in Congress propose a bill to reform the immigration system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of these people genuinely believe that welfare lets people live entirely idle lives and that minorities can somehow access more and better welfare than white people, and will not be swayed from this no matter how much evidence you show them. While also complaining the immigrants are stealing all their jobs.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

May, 2022 CBP update.

Big takeaways are an increase in migration, and that single adults are mostly processed and removed under Title 42 while families are processed under Title 8 and are more likely to be allowed to stay pending a court date.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nation...nited%20States.

To summarize:

239,416 across the SW Border 2% increase over April
-177,793 were unique (not repeats) 15% increase over April

165,200 were single adults
-90,650 processed for expulsion under Title 42
-74,550 processed under Title 8.

59,282 family unit individuals
- 9,850 processed for expulsion under Title 42.
-49,432 processed under Title 8.

14,699 unaccompanied children
-Average number of children in CBP custody per day is 692.

An important note:
Preparations for a Potential Increase in Migration

Current restrictions at the U.S. border have not changed. Single adults and families encountered at the Southwest Border continue to be expelled, where appropriate, under the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) Title 42 public health authority. Individuals who are not expelled under Title 42 and do not have a legal basis to remain in the U.S. generally are placed in either expedited removal or full removal proceedings.

In response to the increase in migration being experienced by nations across the Hemisphere, DHS is executing a comprehensive, whole-of-government plan to manage increases in the number of migrants encountered at our border, as outlined by Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas in an April 26 memo.

That includes surging resources, increasing efficiencies, administering consequences, bolstering capacity of non-governmental organizations, targeting and disrupting transnational criminal organizations and smugglers, and deterring irregular migration in partnership with other agencies across the federal government and with nations throughout the hemisphere.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

I don't know if there is enough irony for this.

https://twitter.com/katelinthicum/status/1552306358053126149

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Construir La Pared

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Barudak posted:

Construir La Pared

Y los EE.UU. la van a pagar.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

It will never happen but the US, Canada, Mexico should do some sort of Eurozone lite. But racists love their borders and burdens so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

It will never happen but the US, Canada, Mexico should do some sort of Eurozone lite. But racists love their borders and burdens so.

They should, but, hear me out, brown people

I, as a stupid child, thought this is what NAFTA would lead to, a peaceful unification of the US and Canada and Mexico into one super country

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mooseontheloose posted:

You could absolutely get racists on board with this if you sold it properly. The new hotness is blaming Central American migrants coming through Mexico, not Mexicans themselves.

It doesn't actually solve any of the problems, since the root cause relates to the factors that drive migration in the first place, but it would be convenient for well-to-do people in all three countries, for sure!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I, as a stupid child, thought this is what NAFTA would lead to, a peaceful unification of the US and Canada and Mexico into one super country

OK then US and Canada, but in the actual Eurozone

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

80% of Canada's national identity is "we aren't the United States". That alone would be enough to provide a lot of resistance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i mean, how many degrees of temperature rise will it take before most of north america's arable farming is being done in canada and alaska? the US annexing Canada seems entirely possible.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

DeadlyMuffin posted:

80% of Canada's national identity is "we aren't the United States". That alone would be enough to provide a lot of resistance.

I don't think it's fair to say Quebec is 20% of their national identity...

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, how many degrees of temperature rise will it take before most of north america's arable farming is being done in canada and alaska? the US annexing Canada seems entirely possible.

Even if the temperature up there warms up, you can't farm in those places at nearly the same scale because the soil is simply not suitable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Even if the temperature up there warms up, you can't farm in those places at nearly the same scale because the soil is simply not suitable.

Also the lack of daylight in winter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Also the lack of daylight in winter.

I'm not an agriculture expert but this does not strike me as one of the foremost concerns for farming.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

How exactly do you think photosynthesis works?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

How exactly do you think photosynthesis works?

Not very well on crops that have already been harvested in the fall?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

Not very well on crops that have already been harvested in the fall?

I'm talking about scale. California, due to its climate and latitude, can grow food almost year around: https://www.ufseeds.com/california-vegetable-planting-calendar.html

This is what makes it an agricultural powerhouse.

You're never going to replicate that further north. Even if the climate becomes warmer up there, it's unlikely to be temperate, and there's simply not enough daylight to grow enough food to replace our current production levels.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ok, I guess I wasn't specific enough, and I should have said something like "the lack of winter daylight hours does not strike me as one of the foremost barriers for expanding farming to warming parts of the Canadian north like the Canadian Shield, because as previously noted the poor quality soil is the main reason why, for example, Northern Ontario isn't farmed the way parts of the prairies are (some at even higher latitudes)". But anyway, since this thread is ostensibly about US immigration, I would worry less about Americans marching north to claim peat bogs or whatever, and more about Nestle's private armies draining our precious bodily fluids aquifers. Having said that, as I was looking up crop yields per acre to compare the prairies with California and make some pithy point about desertification and draining the Colorado river, Google reminded me that Saskatchewan also had a prolonged drought last year, so maybe that is the greatest concern for population growth and the distribution thereof on the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Any article about the Wall being completed near Yuma should have this picture posed with it.

The "2-3 gaps near the dam" are what are being filled in, not the 6 mile gap near the Indian Reservation.