Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Willa Rogers posted:

You mean being told to lay off their personal attacks based on ideology? That mistreatment? There isn't a :qq: big enough if they can't answer people with a civil tongue (or fingers), or are forced to share online spaces among people with differing opinions.

That's funny because when I said the same thing in a few other threads, I was accused of tone-policing and flat out told that being civil online doesn't matter and shouldn't be a priority.

Willa Rogers posted:

I think it's more that people have lost interest in the concentration camps since they stopped being called concentration camps. Ain't no one interested in locked-up kids unless a cheeto is doing the locking up.

It seems you want to have your cake and eat it too: you get to try to fit the phrase "concentration camp" as many times as possible into a post and blatantly accuse people of no longer caring about them in the hopes that they get riled up, but then expect responses from experts that are civil. And when you don't receive any, it just feeds your existing beliefs about people not caring about the subject (whereas the alternative explanation, which is that nobody wants to get dragged into the mud for the nth time with you, is more likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gosh, I could've sworn they were called concentration camps prior to this year, and no one got "riled up" about it.

In any case, what do you guys think of the propublica story or the Washington court award?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

SearchInward posted:

What is the best proposed "smart border" security. I recall reading ideas people were proposing for US border security that involved drone fleets that would autonomously patrol the border using IR sensors to detect human heat signatures and track/ route border patrol to intercept and by analyzing the data they can make heatmaps of where the largest inflow of illegal entries occur and make purpose-based fortifications or create new Border Patrol agent outposts in those areas.

I support the idea that the border is best being as secure as possible and I mainly hear the latest updates when they're in the news cycles, but I don;t have a good pulse on the day-to-day of how plans are evolving. Does anyone have info or perspective on the "smart" style border defenses?

The answer is to allow persons the freedom of movement across the southern border that capital enjoys. An open border does not equal a completely uncontrolled border. If we could simply deal with those persons seeking to work, seeking refuge from violence, etc. It could free up the actual border security apparatus to address genuine risks. We spend significantly on border security, there are loads of personnel, we don't need drones or thermal scopes, or any silly technocratic solution. We need a political one, where the border security apparatus of the United States is actually focused on and working to address safety, as opposed to its current role of chasing down and brutalizing people we've deemed undesireable.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Considering the way experts have been treated in D&D lately, don't be surprised if your questions don't elicit responses like they used to in the past.

What experts?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Biden is re-implementing and expanding Remain in Mexico.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/biden-remain-in-mexico-expanding

Buzzfeed posted:

On Monday, US officials plan to restart the policy, which Biden officials have publicly stressed they oppose, at a single port of entry on the southern border before it’s expanded elsewhere.

But as part of this effort, the White House is expanding who can be eligible to be sent back across the southern border to include anyone from the Western Hemisphere other than Mexico. Under Trump, only people from Spanish-speaking countries and Brazilians were allowed to be returned to Mexico.

The expansion included in the reintroduced policy makes it possible for US border officials to send Haitians to Mexico, which generally did not happen in years prior.

Department of Homeland Security officials have stressed that they will continue to rely on Title 42, a public health order citing the pandemic that allows for quick deportations, for all of those who are eligible. In September and October alone, the Biden administration sent back thousands of Haitians through the public health order.

The inclusion of the entire Western Hemisphere in the new guidance took many by surprise.

“This is going beyond good faith implementation of the court order,” one former Biden appointee said. “When you add new populations and are doing it in addition to Title 42, you are intentionally implementing a program that you know is largely indistinguishable from the prior one and putting more populations in it.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It took some digging because that buzzfeed article appears to be improperly ripping off some other source without attribution (or just has remarkably terrible copyediting), but this is the guidance that they are referring to. The distinction in scope is not actually reflected in the equivalent Trump administration guidance documents, which didn't narrow nationality; the narrowing in question appears to be covered by other documents, or just a discretionary practice. AIC has a summary of the MPP, and a rundown of the most recent announcement.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 4, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

It took some digging because that buzzfeed article appears to be improperly ripping off some other source without attribution (or just has remarkably terrible copyediting), but this is the guidance that they are referring to. The distinction in scope is not actually reflected in the equivalent Trump administration guidance documents, which didn't narrow nationality; the narrowing in question appears to be covered by other documents, or just a discretionary practice. AIC has a summary pf the MPP, and a rundown of the most recent announcement.

So we're not going to force migrants to remain in another country?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Discendo Vox posted:

It took some digging because that buzzfeed article appears to be improperly ripping off some other source without attribution (or just has remarkably terrible copyediting), but this is the guidance that they are referring to. The distinction in scope is not actually reflected in the equivalent Trump administration guidance documents, which didn't narrow nationality; the narrowing in question appears to be covered by other documents, or just a discretionary practice. AIC has a summary of the MPP, and a rundown of the most recent announcement.

So what are you trying to say here?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Biden administration exits talks over compensation for families separated at border

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration walked away from negotiations to financially compensate families separated at the border by the Trump administration, three lawyers for the families told NBC News on Thursday.

“There’s no explanation for not settling these cases other than the Biden administration is unwilling to use literally any political capital to help the young children deliberately abused by our government,” said Lee Gelernt, deputy director for the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project.

Gelernt said that the Biden administration “will now be in court not just defending the United States but also the individual federal officials responsible for family separation.” These families had been separated at the border by the Trump administration.

NBC News previously reported that the administration had been in talks to offer separated migrant parents and children hundreds of thousands per person.

The lawyers for these migrants represented them in a number of cases that have claimed the families experienced harm when they were forcibly separated.

In a statement, the Department of Justice said, “While the parties have been unable to reach a global settlement agreement at this time, we remain committed to engaging with the plaintiffs and to bringing justice to the victims of this abhorrent policy.”

Under former President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” policy in 2018, and a similar pilot program in 2017, more than 5,600 children were separated from their parents simply because their parents crossed the border illegally with them. The Biden administration ended the "zero tolerance" program earlier this year.

The Trump administration did not have a system to quickly reunite the families it separated.

As of late October, more than 1,000 families were estimated to still be separated from each other, the White House said at the time. In many cases the parents were deported back to their home countries while their children remained in the U.S. And, according to court records, more than 300 parents of separated children have still not been located.

Looks like Biden's DOJ has committed to declining to settle with the victims of trump's family separation policy. Here's hoping the suit is successful without the settlement.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/full-transcript-vice-president-kamala-harris-face-the-nation-12-26-2021/

MARGARET BRENNAN: You went to Guatemala in June, and you clearly delivered the message, "do not come." You took a lot of grief from progressives in your party for saying that. Do you regret having to say that?

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS: I was in Guatemala because we have to address, in a comprehensive way, the root causes of migration. When I was in Guatala, I talked with the Guatemalan people about what I've talked to folks in this very room who have convened about this issue, which is the vast majority of people, wherever they are from, don't want to leave home. They don't want to leave the language they speak. The place where they- they pray, their grandmother. Most people don't want to leave home. And when they do, it's for one or two reasons. Either they can't take care of the basic needs of themselves in their family or they're fleeing harm. And so my approach to the issue in Guatemala and its neighboring countries, which has been formerly called the Northern Triangle, is to do what we have, I think, a responsibility to do, as a member of the Western Hemisphere. To assist in dealing with the root causes of migration out of those countries. And that is my primary focus. In fact, just the week before last I convened after many meetings, American CEOs. We started out with 12, now we got 77, partnering with us around investment in Guatemala to deal with a variety of issues that are about their economy and their workers, including women as farmers and workers there.

I have been working with our Department of Justice to do what we need to do to enhance prosecutions, investigations and prosecutions around human trafficking and smuggling. That was an area of focus for me when I was attorney general of California was taking on the issue of transnational criminal organizations and human trafficking. It's a big issue that we need to address. So that is the work we're doing.

(Crosstalk)

MARGARET BRENNAN: I think the critics don't understand that though, the progressives within your own party who are critical of you for that message.

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS: I think it's important to focus on the details of what we collectively want, and I think everyone, regardless of their- where they are on the political spectrum, appreciates the point that people don't want to leave home. And- and what can we do as a neighbor to help them stay at home when that's in fact what they want to do? And I'll tell you, when I was in Guatemala and spoke with the people there, that was emphasized in a way that I knew before I got there, but was really emphasized when I got there. People don't want to leave. They don't want their family members to leave. Their family members didn't want to leave.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/12/30/hundreds-of-afghans-denied-humanitarian-entry-us.html

BOSTON -- Haseena Niazi had pinned her hopes of getting her fiancé out of Afghanistan on a rarely used immigration provision.

The 24-year-old Massachusetts resident was almost certain his application for humanitarian parole would get approved by the U.S. government, considering the evidence he provided on the threats from the Taliban he received while working on women's health issues at a hospital near Kabul.

But this month, the request was summarily denied, leaving the couple reeling after months of anxiety.

Immigrants Help Afghan Refugees Start Life in US
A California health clinic founded four decades ago to screen refugees from Southeast Asia is part of the U.S. effort to resettle tens of thousands of people from Afghanistan. (Associated Press)

"He had everything they wanted," said Niazi, a green card holder originally from Afghanistan. "It doesn't make any sense why they'd reject it. It's like a bad dream. I still can't believe it."

Federal immigration officials have issued denial letters to hundreds of Afghans seeking temporary entry into the country for humanitarian reasons in recent weeks, to the dismay of Afghans and their supporters. By doing so, immigrant advocates say, the Biden administration has failed to honor its promise to help Afghans who were left behind after the U.S. military withdrew from the country in August and the Taliban took control.

"It was a huge disappointment," said Caitlin Rowe, a Texas attorney who said she recently received five denials, including one for an Afghan police officer who helped train U.S. troops and was beaten by the Taliban. "These are vulnerable people who genuinely thought there was hope, and I don't think there was."

Since the U.S. withdrawal, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has received more than 35,000 applications for humanitarian parole, of which it has denied about 470 and conditionally approved more than 140, Victoria Palmer, an agency spokesperson, said this week.

The little-known program, which doesn't provide a path to lawful permanent residence in the country, typically receives fewer than 2,000 requests annually from all nationalities, of which USCIS approves an average of about 500, she said.

Palmer also stressed humanitarian parole is generally reserved for extreme emergencies and not intended to replace the refugee admissions process, "which is the typical pathway for individuals outside of the United States who have fled their country of origin and are seeking protection."

The U.S. government, meanwhile, continues to help vulnerable Afghans, evacuating more than 900 American citizens and residents and another 2,200 Afghans since the military withdrawal. The state department said it expects to help resettle as many as 95,000 people from Afghanistan this fiscal year, a process that includes rigorous background checks and vaccinations.

Many of them, however, had been whisked out of Afghanistan before the U.S. left. Now, USCIS is tasked with this new wave of humanitarian parole applications and has ramped up staffing to consider them.

The agency said in a statement that requests are reviewed on an individual basis, with consideration given to immediate relatives of Americans and Afghans airlifted out.

And while USCIS stressed that parole shouldn't replace refugee processing, immigrant advocates argue that isn't a viable option for Afghans stuck in their country due to a disability or hiding from the Taliban. Even those able to get out of Afghanistan, they say, may be forced to wait years in refugee camps, which isn't something many can afford to do.

Mohammad, who asked that his last name not be used out of fear for his family's safety, said his elder brother, who used to work for international organizations, is among them. He has been in hiding since the Taliban came looking for him following the U.S. withdrawal, Mohammad said.

On a recent visit to the family home, Taliban members took his younger brother instead and held him more than a week for ransom, he said. Now, Mohammad, a former translator for U.S. troops in Afghanistan who lives in California with a special immigration status, is seeking parole for this brother, too. He hopes a conditional approval letter can get them a spot on one of the U.S. evacuation flights still running out of the country.

"I can provide him housing. I can provide him everything," he said. "Let them come here."

Immigrant advocates began filing humanitarian parole applications for Afghans in August in a last-ditch effort to get them on U.S. evacuation flights out of the country before the withdrawal.

In some cases, it worked, and word spread among immigration attorneys that parole, while typically used in extreme emergencies, might be a way out, said Kyra Lilien, director of immigration legal services at Jewish Family & Community Services in California's East Bay.

Soon, attorneys began filing thousands of parole applications for Afghans.

When the U.S. immigration agency created a website specifically to address these applications, Lilien said she thought it was a sign of hope. By November, however, the agency had posted a list of narrow criteria for Afghan applicants and held a webinar telling attorneys that parole is typically granted only if there's evidence someone faces "imminent severe harm."

A few weeks later, the denial letters began arriving. Lilien has received more than a dozen but no approvals.

"Once the U.S. packed up and left, anyone who was left behind has only one choice, and that is to pursue this archaic refugee channel," she said. "It is just so angering that it took USCIS so long to be clear about that."

Wogai Mohmand, an attorney who helps lead the Afghan-focused Project ANAR, said that the group has filed thousands of applications and that since the U.S. troop withdrawal, has seen only denials.

The despair has led some immigration attorneys to give up on filing parole applications altogether. In Massachusetts, the International Institute of New England is holding off filing new applications until it hears on those that are pending after receiving a flurry of denials.

Chiara St. Pierre, an attorney for the refugee resettlement agency, said she feels clients like Niazi are facing an "unwinnable" battle.

For Niazi's fiancé, they had provided copies of written threats sent to the hospital where he works as a medical technician and threatening text messages he said came from Taliban members, she said. It wasn't enough.

A redacted copy of the denial letter provided by St. Pierre lists the USCIS criteria released in November but doesn't specify why the agency rejected the application, which had been filed in August.

For now, Niazi says her fiancé is living and working far from Kabul as they weigh their options. They could potentially wait until Niazi becomes an American citizen so she can try to bring him here on a fiancé visa, but that would take years.

"He can't wait that long. It's a miracle every day that he's alive," Niazi said. "I'm feeling like every door is closing in on him."

Taxin reported from Orange County, California.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol if they didn't know that the US is frothingly hostile to any kind of immigration at the best of times unless you're white and bring in large bags of money, or are sponsored by someone who is.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CBP 2021 Year in Review. The big takeaways are that border crossing are up, Title 42 is being used to justify the removals, and more and more migrants from countries other than Mexico are coming across the border.

Currently the administration seems to have no coherent strategy to deal with the increased flow of migrants, other than to bribe and bully Central and South American countries to stop immigrants from coming, and to deport as many migrants as they can.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-releases-operational-fiscal-year-2021-statistics

CBP Nationwide Enforcement Numbers for Fiscal Year 2021

CBP faced significant challenges at the border in FY2021, grappling with the continuing COVID-19 pandemic – which deeply affected the health and well-being of its workforce – while confronting a high number of Southwest Border encounters.

The high number of total encounters was partly driven by high recidivism rates (repeat encounters) among individuals processed under the CDC’s Title 42 public health authorities, meaning the actual number of unique individuals attempting to cross the border was substantially lower than total encounters.

The majority of border encounters resulted in expulsions under the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Title 42 public health authority. The varied demographics of the population encountered at the border, reductions in custody capacity, and other COVID-related restrictions made the processing of large number of noncitizens apprehended or found inadmissible under the government’s Title 8 immigration authority uniquely challenging in fiscal year 2021.

Overall, in FY 2021, there were 1.72 million CBP encounters that resulted in either expulsion under the CDC’s Title 42 public health authority or processing as Title 8 immigration enforcement cases (“enforcement encounters”). The Department completed 1.2 million repatriations, including expulsions under Title 42 and removals under Title 8, which represents a 15-year high that is more than two-and-a-half times as many repatriations as in FY 2020. Most people encountered at the border (62 percent) were expelled under the Title 42 authority to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

In FY 2021, high border encounters were also driven by multiple factors: a continued long-term shift from almost all encounters being single adults from Mexico to large numbers of individuals in family units; a continued rise in encounters of unaccompanied children; and increasing migration flows from countries other than Mexico or the Northern Triangle.

CBP Efforts at and Between Ports of Entry

In FY 2021, CBP recorded a total of 1.72 million enforcement encounters, including 146,054 encounters of unaccompanied children, 478,492 encounters of individuals in family units, and 1,098,500 encounters of single adults. The majority of all encounters were processed in accordance with orders from the CDC under its Title 42 public health authority to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Repeat Encounters

The number of total encounters overstates the number of unique people attempting to cross the border. Prior to the pandemic, about one in eight border encounters involved a person previously encountered during the prior year. However, since CBP began expelling noncitizens under the CDC’s Title 42 public health order to limit the spread of COVID-19, the repeat encounter rate jumped to more than one in three encounters, including almost half of single adult encounters. Thus, while total enforcement encounters increased 82 percent between 2019 (the last pre-pandemic year) and 2021, the number of unique individuals encountered at the border increased 30 percent.

Changing Migrant Demographics

Overall, CBP encountered 388,249 women and girls in 2021, an increase of 18 percent over 2019 and 159 percent over the average for 2014-2019. These FY 2021 numbers included almost 110,000 single adult women. The rising number of women and the shift from single adults to children and family units raise different processing needs and policy responses. Humanitarian concerns, inherent vulnerabilities, and legal protections make processing children and family units at the border, and throughout the immigration process, more complex and resource intensive than processing single adults.

Additionally, Mexican nationals accounted for just 28 percent of unique encounters in 2021, their lowest share in recorded history, versus 44 percent for the Northern Triangle countries and 28 percent for countries other than Mexico or the Northern Triangle – twice the previous record for this demographic. This trend is important because the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not currently have agreements to electronically verify nationality with these different countries of origin, making removing or expelling their nationals more resource-intensive and time-consuming.

Outside of Mexico and the Northern Triangle, the countries accounting for the largest number of encounters in FY 2021 were Ecuador, Brazil, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Haiti, and Cuba.

Unaccompanied Children

Unique encounters of unaccompanied children (UC) along the Southwest Border increased 73 percent compared to 2019, the last pre-pandemic year. The increase in encounters, coupled with the prior administration’s failure to expand the Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) capacity to receive unaccompanied children from Border Patrol stations within the required timeframe, meant that, early in 2021, children were staying in Border Patrol stations for too long.

In response to the increase in the number of unaccompanied children encountered and the time they were spending in Border Patrol custody, DHS, through its Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), provided coordination and technical support to the HHS Office of Refugee Resettlement, expanding temporary holding capacity by establishing temporary housing facilities for unaccompanied children along the border.

The Movement Coordination Cell (MCC), a standing interagency group to oversee the expedited processing and transfer of UCs and vulnerable individuals out of CBP custody, was formed to facilitate communication and problem-solving among U.S. government agencies managing border immigration flow. The MCC is comprised of personnel from CBP, HHS, FEMA, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and the Department of Defense.

Coupled with the development of the MCC, DHS was able to rapidly reduce the total number of UCs in CBP custody from over 5,600 on March 29 to under 500 six weeks later, even as UC encounter rates remained elevated.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/story/2022-01-08/remain-in-mexico-returns-to-tijuana

IMMIGRATION
U.S. failure to follow Remain in Mexico rules show program hasn’t changed as promised

Two men from Colombia who did not want to be identified are the first to be returned to Tijuana under the Migrant Protection Protocols, or MPP. They will have to return to the border for their first immigration court hearings next month.(Alejandro Tamayo/The San Diego Union-Tribune)

The first two people who were returned to Tijuana under the program this week discussed their experience

BY KATE MORRISSEY
JAN. 8, 2022 5 AM PT

Despite the Biden administration’s assurances that it has made changes to the “Remain in Mexico” program to address humanitarian and due-process concerns, the experiences of the first two people returned to Tijuana under the restart included many of the issues that plagued the program under the Trump administration.

In what is perhaps a small, telling window into how the implementation is going, the Spanish word for “migrant” was misspelled in the title of one of the documents of instructions that the men were given.

Beyond this and other paperwork errors, officials have already violated rules that were meant to make the program less harmful in its second iteration.

Though Biden administration officials promised access to counsel, the two Colombian men were not allowed to speak with attorneys while in U.S. custody. Officials also failed to vaccinate one of the men for COVID-19. Confused and terrified, the two men found themselves back in Tijuana with the extra stigma of being the first returnees.

“We’re the two from Colombia,” one of the men said in Spanish. “Everyone knows we’re them. We already have problems.”

The Union-Tribune is not publicly identifying the men or their location because of their fear that the people they fled will come looking for them. The men are also concerned that, as the first two people returned to Tijuana, they’ve been made especially vulnerable as targets.

Known officially as Migrant Protection Protocols or MPP, the program requires asylum seekers to wait in Mexico while their immigration court cases proceed in the U.S. It came under heavy criticism when it was first implemented under the Trump administration because of the danger in which it placed already vulnerable migrants. Many were assaulted, kidnapped or worse, sometimes as they left a port of entry or attempted to return to one for a court hearing.

MPP also made finding attorneys — who are instrumental in navigating the complexities of proving an asylum case — especially difficult for those enrolled.

Mexican National Guard vehicles parked at the Chaparral Plaza in Tijuana
Mexican Guardia Nacional vehicles parked at the Chaparral Plaza in Tijuana.(Alejandro Tamayo/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
President Joe Biden campaigned on ending the program and did so in his first year in office. But the states of Texas and Missouri challenged the way the program was ended in federal court, and a judge sided with the states, ordering the program’s return.

As of Friday, 237 people have been returned to Mexico under the restart, mostly in El Paso, Texas, where the program began in December, according to the U.N. migration agency. In Tijuana, 11 have been sent back. The Tijuana returns include two women, according to Alex Mensing of Innovation Law Lab.

Though the Biden administration maintains that it is only bringing the program back because it has to, critics have pointed to an expansion of nationalities eligible for the program as a sign that the administration is using the judge’s order as an excuse to further the United States’ longstanding agenda of deterring asylum seekers rather than working to create a humane asylum system as promised during the campaign.

Neither the Department of Homeland Security nor Customs and Border Protection responded to a request for comment about the issues identified by the two men.

The two men, who have been friends since childhood, said that they hadn’t planned to leave Colombia but fled late last year because their lives were suddenly in danger. They did not want to speak publicly about the details of what happened to them because they were afraid they would be identified or that their asylum cases would be affected.

According to a U.S. State Department report, human rights concerns in Colombia include unlawful and arbitrary killings as well as reports of torture and arbitrary detention by both government and criminal forces. Border Patrol agents caught more than 3,300 Colombians crossing into the United States in November, the most recent month with CBP data available. That’s roughly 2 percent of the people apprehended that month.

The end-of-year holidays are an important time to be with family, one man said, and he wouldn’t have chosen to leave the country at that time without being forced.

They traveled by plane, flying to several Mexican cities before arriving in Tijuana. The journey took only a couple of weeks. While in Mexico, they paid to stay in a hotel where they felt safer, and they did not go out.

“That’s what worries us,” one man said. “We’re really afraid to be in Mexico. There’s no difference between Mexico and Colombia.”

Between the flights and hotel rooms, they spent all of the money that they had. In doing so, they avoided many of the harms that many asylum seekers risk on the journey by foot and bus to the U.S. border. They believed that once they reached U.S. soil, they would be safe, so the temporary expense seemed worth it.

They planned to live with the wife of one of the men, who is a green-card holder in the U.S. She had already been planning to sponsor her husband’s green card in the coming years, but because of the urgency of the situation he found himself in, those plans changed.

When they were apprehended by Border Patrol the day before New Year’s Eve, they did not know that the Remain in Mexico program was restarting.

An official with El Instituto Nacional de Migración walks with others out of El Chaparral port of entry into Tijuana.(Ana Ramirez/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
Agents took them to a station and placed them in a cell packed with dozens of other men. There were only six bunk beds, the men said, so they slept on the floor, sandwiched among all of the people in custody. Because the lights were always on in the cell, they struggled to keep track of time.

Though they do not speak much English, they realized that agents were speaking badly about them, they said. They recognized words like “stupid” and phrases like “go back to your country.”

The experience, one man said, amounted to psychological abuse.

They were not given an opportunity to bathe or shower while they were in custody, they said, though they were there for nearly a week.

According to the documents they were given, they signed documents related to MPP on Monday, after they’d already been in the cell for several days. The men said they didn’t know what they were signing, that many of the documents were in English and even for the documents in Spanish, they were not given time to read them before signing.

After they’d been selected for MPP, an agent asked if they were afraid to go back to Mexico. The men said another agent tried to keep that official from asking the question, which is now a required question under the new rules for the program before someone can be returned.

“He said we would have to spend more time in those conditions,” one man recalled.

They told the agent that they were terrified.

The new rules say that if someone expresses fear of return to Mexico, they should have 24 hours to get in touch with an attorney before they speak with an asylum officer. Though the men waited the required time period before that interview, they were not allowed to make any calls or otherwise access legal counsel, they said.

The man whose wife is in the United States said that he asked to be able to call her because she could get an attorney for him, but officials denied that request.

Documents from the asylum officer’s interview corroborate the men’s claims that they didn’t have access to attorneys and that they were forced to sign paperwork that they did not understand.

They said an agent told them that no matter what happened, they would be sent back to Mexico. So, when the asylum officer asked if they wanted to wait longer in custody in order to access attorneys, the men waived that right, not wanting to spend more time in the crowded cell with their fate already decided.

On their own, the men were not able to explain their fears in a way that met the legal requirement to get out of the program.

The document indicating the questions asked and the asylum officer’s summary of the responses received seemed to indicate that though the men are extremely fearful that their persecutors will find them in Mexico, because they were able to survive in hiding in Mexico for the two weeks that they were there, they did not qualify for exemptions to the program. They told the asylum officer they are now out of money and unable to pay for a hotel.

“We told them that we would not go out because we are scared, but how can we not go out for six months?” one man said.

Agents also made errors in the men’s documentation — a common issue in the first iteration of MPP.

The men were initially scheduled for court hearings months in the future — which likely would have pushed their cases well past the six-month limit imposed by Mexico in this iteration of MPP. When they told the asylum officer this, their hearings were rescheduled for February. However, one of the men’s English-language documents still indicates that his court hearing is in May though the Spanish-language version of the document says February.

Migrants and asylum seekers go about their lives in a migrant camp near the port of entry at Tijuana's Chaparral plaza
Hundreds of migrants go about their lives in a camp near the port of entry at Tijuana’s Chaparral plaza. Many are waiting to be able to request asylum in the United States.(Ana Ramirez/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
Additionally, pages of the men’s documents with their personal information were mixed up. Each man had the first page of the other’s court notice.

Those court notices do not indicate an address where the immigration court can contact the men. That was a major issue in the program’s first iteration because, if hearing dates change, the court cannot inform the people expected to show up, and people who don’t show up to immigration court can be ordered deported in their absence.

The men said they were not asked detailed questions about their medical history — the new rules also delineate medical reasons that people should be exempted from the program. They did not have any documentation indicating that officials had verified that they do not have any of those conditions. Human rights observers in Texas have published images of such documents given to returnees at the Texas border, where the program began again late last year.

Before they were returned to Mexico, officials asked the men whether they had received COVID-19 vaccines. Part of the agreement with Mexico requires the United States to vaccinate asylum seekers prior to returning them.

One man was already fully vaccinated. The other had had one dose and needed his second. He said he wanted to get it, but before officials could administer it, the transport came to get them and took them to the border.

Shortly before they were returned, one man recalled, an official offered him a cookie. The moment felt absurd after all that he had experienced in custody.

At the border, they were tested for COVID-19 by staff from the U.N. migration agency and then transported, with a Mexican National Guard escort, to a shelter.

They don’t know if they should stay there or try to find somewhere else to be. After more and more reporters showed up on Thursday looking for them, they began to feel as though too many people already knew where they were.

They received documents from Mexico that would allow them to work while they wait, but the men said that won’t be helpful.

“We can’t go out,” one man said.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

PeterCat posted:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/story/2022-01-08/remain-in-mexico-returns-to-tijuana

IMMIGRATION
U.S. failure to follow Remain in Mexico rules show program hasn’t changed as promised

Two men from Colombia who did not want to be identified are the first to be returned to Tijuana under the Migrant Protection Protocols, or MPP. They will have to return to the border for their first immigration court hearings next month.(Alejandro Tamayo/The San Diego Union-Tribune)

The first two people who were returned to Tijuana under the program this week discussed their experience

BY KATE MORRISSEY
JAN. 8, 2022 5 AM PT

Despite the Biden administration’s assurances that it has made changes to the “Remain in Mexico” program to address humanitarian and due-process concerns, the experiences of the first two people returned to Tijuana under the restart included many of the issues that plagued the program under the Trump administration.

In what is perhaps a small, telling window into how the implementation is going, the Spanish word for “migrant” was misspelled in the title of one of the documents of instructions that the men were given.

Beyond this and other paperwork errors, officials have already violated rules that were meant to make the program less harmful in its second iteration.

Though Biden administration officials promised access to counsel, the two Colombian men were not allowed to speak with attorneys while in U.S. custody. Officials also failed to vaccinate one of the men for COVID-19. Confused and terrified, the two men found themselves back in Tijuana with the extra stigma of being the first returnees.

“We’re the two from Colombia,” one of the men said in Spanish. “Everyone knows we’re them. We already have problems.”

The Union-Tribune is not publicly identifying the men or their location because of their fear that the people they fled will come looking for them. The men are also concerned that, as the first two people returned to Tijuana, they’ve been made especially vulnerable as targets.

Known officially as Migrant Protection Protocols or MPP, the program requires asylum seekers to wait in Mexico while their immigration court cases proceed in the U.S. It came under heavy criticism when it was first implemented under the Trump administration because of the danger in which it placed already vulnerable migrants. Many were assaulted, kidnapped or worse, sometimes as they left a port of entry or attempted to return to one for a court hearing.

MPP also made finding attorneys — who are instrumental in navigating the complexities of proving an asylum case — especially difficult for those enrolled.

Mexican National Guard vehicles parked at the Chaparral Plaza in Tijuana
Mexican Guardia Nacional vehicles parked at the Chaparral Plaza in Tijuana.(Alejandro Tamayo/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
President Joe Biden campaigned on ending the program and did so in his first year in office. But the states of Texas and Missouri challenged the way the program was ended in federal court, and a judge sided with the states, ordering the program’s return.

As of Friday, 237 people have been returned to Mexico under the restart, mostly in El Paso, Texas, where the program began in December, according to the U.N. migration agency. In Tijuana, 11 have been sent back. The Tijuana returns include two women, according to Alex Mensing of Innovation Law Lab.

Though the Biden administration maintains that it is only bringing the program back because it has to, critics have pointed to an expansion of nationalities eligible for the program as a sign that the administration is using the judge’s order as an excuse to further the United States’ longstanding agenda of deterring asylum seekers rather than working to create a humane asylum system as promised during the campaign.

Neither the Department of Homeland Security nor Customs and Border Protection responded to a request for comment about the issues identified by the two men.

The two men, who have been friends since childhood, said that they hadn’t planned to leave Colombia but fled late last year because their lives were suddenly in danger. They did not want to speak publicly about the details of what happened to them because they were afraid they would be identified or that their asylum cases would be affected.

According to a U.S. State Department report, human rights concerns in Colombia include unlawful and arbitrary killings as well as reports of torture and arbitrary detention by both government and criminal forces. Border Patrol agents caught more than 3,300 Colombians crossing into the United States in November, the most recent month with CBP data available. That’s roughly 2 percent of the people apprehended that month.

The end-of-year holidays are an important time to be with family, one man said, and he wouldn’t have chosen to leave the country at that time without being forced.

They traveled by plane, flying to several Mexican cities before arriving in Tijuana. The journey took only a couple of weeks. While in Mexico, they paid to stay in a hotel where they felt safer, and they did not go out.

“That’s what worries us,” one man said. “We’re really afraid to be in Mexico. There’s no difference between Mexico and Colombia.”

Between the flights and hotel rooms, they spent all of the money that they had. In doing so, they avoided many of the harms that many asylum seekers risk on the journey by foot and bus to the U.S. border. They believed that once they reached U.S. soil, they would be safe, so the temporary expense seemed worth it.

They planned to live with the wife of one of the men, who is a green-card holder in the U.S. She had already been planning to sponsor her husband’s green card in the coming years, but because of the urgency of the situation he found himself in, those plans changed.

When they were apprehended by Border Patrol the day before New Year’s Eve, they did not know that the Remain in Mexico program was restarting.

An official with El Instituto Nacional de Migración walks with others out of El Chaparral port of entry into Tijuana.(Ana Ramirez/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
Agents took them to a station and placed them in a cell packed with dozens of other men. There were only six bunk beds, the men said, so they slept on the floor, sandwiched among all of the people in custody. Because the lights were always on in the cell, they struggled to keep track of time.

Though they do not speak much English, they realized that agents were speaking badly about them, they said. They recognized words like “stupid” and phrases like “go back to your country.”

The experience, one man said, amounted to psychological abuse.

They were not given an opportunity to bathe or shower while they were in custody, they said, though they were there for nearly a week.

According to the documents they were given, they signed documents related to MPP on Monday, after they’d already been in the cell for several days. The men said they didn’t know what they were signing, that many of the documents were in English and even for the documents in Spanish, they were not given time to read them before signing.

After they’d been selected for MPP, an agent asked if they were afraid to go back to Mexico. The men said another agent tried to keep that official from asking the question, which is now a required question under the new rules for the program before someone can be returned.

“He said we would have to spend more time in those conditions,” one man recalled.

They told the agent that they were terrified.

The new rules say that if someone expresses fear of return to Mexico, they should have 24 hours to get in touch with an attorney before they speak with an asylum officer. Though the men waited the required time period before that interview, they were not allowed to make any calls or otherwise access legal counsel, they said.

The man whose wife is in the United States said that he asked to be able to call her because she could get an attorney for him, but officials denied that request.

Documents from the asylum officer’s interview corroborate the men’s claims that they didn’t have access to attorneys and that they were forced to sign paperwork that they did not understand.

They said an agent told them that no matter what happened, they would be sent back to Mexico. So, when the asylum officer asked if they wanted to wait longer in custody in order to access attorneys, the men waived that right, not wanting to spend more time in the crowded cell with their fate already decided.

On their own, the men were not able to explain their fears in a way that met the legal requirement to get out of the program.

The document indicating the questions asked and the asylum officer’s summary of the responses received seemed to indicate that though the men are extremely fearful that their persecutors will find them in Mexico, because they were able to survive in hiding in Mexico for the two weeks that they were there, they did not qualify for exemptions to the program. They told the asylum officer they are now out of money and unable to pay for a hotel.

“We told them that we would not go out because we are scared, but how can we not go out for six months?” one man said.

Agents also made errors in the men’s documentation — a common issue in the first iteration of MPP.

The men were initially scheduled for court hearings months in the future — which likely would have pushed their cases well past the six-month limit imposed by Mexico in this iteration of MPP. When they told the asylum officer this, their hearings were rescheduled for February. However, one of the men’s English-language documents still indicates that his court hearing is in May though the Spanish-language version of the document says February.

Migrants and asylum seekers go about their lives in a migrant camp near the port of entry at Tijuana's Chaparral plaza
Hundreds of migrants go about their lives in a camp near the port of entry at Tijuana’s Chaparral plaza. Many are waiting to be able to request asylum in the United States.(Ana Ramirez/The San Diego Union-Tribune)
Additionally, pages of the men’s documents with their personal information were mixed up. Each man had the first page of the other’s court notice.

Those court notices do not indicate an address where the immigration court can contact the men. That was a major issue in the program’s first iteration because, if hearing dates change, the court cannot inform the people expected to show up, and people who don’t show up to immigration court can be ordered deported in their absence.

The men said they were not asked detailed questions about their medical history — the new rules also delineate medical reasons that people should be exempted from the program. They did not have any documentation indicating that officials had verified that they do not have any of those conditions. Human rights observers in Texas have published images of such documents given to returnees at the Texas border, where the program began again late last year.

Before they were returned to Mexico, officials asked the men whether they had received COVID-19 vaccines. Part of the agreement with Mexico requires the United States to vaccinate asylum seekers prior to returning them.

One man was already fully vaccinated. The other had had one dose and needed his second. He said he wanted to get it, but before officials could administer it, the transport came to get them and took them to the border.

Shortly before they were returned, one man recalled, an official offered him a cookie. The moment felt absurd after all that he had experienced in custody.

At the border, they were tested for COVID-19 by staff from the U.N. migration agency and then transported, with a Mexican National Guard escort, to a shelter.

They don’t know if they should stay there or try to find somewhere else to be. After more and more reporters showed up on Thursday looking for them, they began to feel as though too many people already knew where they were.

They received documents from Mexico that would allow them to work while they wait, but the men said that won’t be helpful.

“We can’t go out,” one man said.

The Republicans act, and Democrats codify.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nucleic Acids posted:

The Republicans act, and Democrats codify.

The article speaks for itself, but apparently I have to provide commentary.

Joe Biden's policies vis a vis the Border are materially identical to Trump's.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

The article speaks for itself, but apparently I have to provide commentary.

Joe Biden's policies vis a vis the Border are materially identical to Trump's.

Pretty much, although Texas has also taken it upon themselves to make it somehow even worse.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Among the people being abused with regard to immigration policy are the members of the National Guard getting used as props for political purposes.

This article is about the hardships the members of the Texas National Guard are going through due to the border mission. As background I need to clarify how the NG works. The National Guard is a reserve component of the Active Duty Army. When not on active duty, the Guard is organized and paid for under Title 32 of the US Code. When not on active duty the Guard also falls under the command and jurisdiction of the governor of whatever state they belong to. The Guard can be put into Federal service and its Soldiers made part of the regular Army, which operates under Title 10 of the US Code. When their service is up, the Guardsmen are discharged from the regular Army and rejoin their state organization.

Another way the Guard can be used is under what's called "State Active Duty." This duty status is at the behest of the state government and is paid for by the state budget, no Federal money involved. When a Soldier or Airmen is on SAD, they receive a check from the state comptroller, usually a physical check mailed to their home of residence. The pay is usually less than the normal Army payscale, and the duty does not qualify them for retirement benefits or the GI Bill, or a host of other benefits and bonuses that come from being activated under Title 32 or Title 10.

Most of the National Guard troops on the border are there under Title 10, or Active Duty orders. The Texas National Guard has also been put on the border under SAD, and this is the reason they are carrying firearms as opposed to the Title 10 Soldiers who are not authorized weapons. The SAD status is also having a very negative effect on the Texas NG troops.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/01/13/texas-denying-most-guard-troops-border-chance-help-families-suffering-hardships-home.html

military.com posted:

A member of the Texas National Guard who is deployed to the state's border security mission was recently sitting in his bed, ... when the worry welled up.

"I was wondering what I'm doing here," the noncommissioned officer remembered in an interview this week with Military.com. The NCO spoke on the condition of anonymity because troops there were ordered not to comment publicly.

The Texas deployment in October had pulled the soldier away from a civilian job, a family including children who depended on that income to survive, and a spouse enrolled in college. The loss of pay threatened mortgage and vehicle payments, even sports fees for the kids.

The NCO filed a hardship request, a formal process for soldiers to make a case to be excused from duty, with his chain of command. But that request was denied, leaving him in a dire financial situation.

Other soldiers whose hardship requests were denied are primary guardians of children or are caregivers to sick family members. The National Guard does not offer any subsidies for child care.

When Abbott kicked off his campaign to lock down the southern border last year, he rapidly mobilized thousands of Guardsmen in the state, sometimes with only a few days' notice to deploy on what could be a yearlong -- or even longer -- mission.

That mobilization of some 10,000 troops forced Guardsmen to slam the brakes on their civilian lives. The most common hardship for troops was losing income -- sometimes up to tens of thousands of dollars -- when leaving civilian jobs.

Some have encountered months of delays with Guard pay, with physical paychecks coming in at inconsistent times and in inconsistent amounts. One soldier told Military.com that their last paycheck was for about $100, while another soldier was overpaid by more than $2,000.

Military.com spoke with more than two dozen Texas National Guardsmen who are deployed on the mission, ranging from junior enlisted to senior officers. Requests for anonymity were granted to all of them, to protect the soldiers from retaliation after they were given strict warnings not to speak with the press and to take concerns to their chains of command.

For them, the deployment meant scrambling for child care, shifting wedding dates, and rushing to wrap up impending legal issues such as divorce. Some were granted a short leave to see the birth of their babies but had to immediately return to the mission, leaving new mothers on their own.

All of the soldiers interviewed said they did not trust their commands to handle concerns, despite the assurances of leaders, and felt the lack of support was a systemic failure of the border deployment.

Troops also began to suspect they were window dressing for Abbott's re-election ambitions as he faces Republican challengers in a March primary. "We're just political pawns here," one of the soldiers said, in a common refrain among those interviewed.

The denials of hardship requests drove home the belief that the Guard didn't really care about them, they said.

The border mission has seen other troubling signs of deteriorating morale among the troops. With an unclear mission giving soldiers too much free time, alcohol abuse has run rampant, the interviewed troops said.

Last week, a junior soldier was intoxicated at a bar in Del Rio, Texas, a border town, and got into an altercation with a border agent over a woman, according to an incident report reviewed by Military.com.

The Army specialist went to his vehicle, returned to the bar with a gun and pointed it at the agent and five other patrons, the report said. The soldier forced the border agent onto his knees, but the arrival of police startled him and he dropped the gun.

Reports of attempted self harm are beginning to surface.

A deployed Guard soldier attempted suicide this week, according to an incident report obtained by Military.com and at least four soldiers died by suicide in recent months according to an investigation by Army Times. Advocates worry that the events may have been related to hardship requests.

Texas Guard leadership must take a look at the hardships put on the border troops, or the situation could get worse, retired Command Sgt. Maj. Jason Featherston, the former top NCO of the Texas Army National Guard, told Military.com.

"I firmy believe that if hardships of soldiers are not considered, then that could lead to more suicides," Featherston said.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Allen West calling out Governor Abbott for "Operation Lone Star," the TX ARNG State Active Duty mission on the border. There have been 4 suicides among that group of troops, the mission has been going on since last March, and apparently the state can't provide enough porta-potties or lodging, and has been putting soldiers up in Air BnBs in lieu of other arrangments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7Cw8wiP6s

I'm sure West would have his own version of Texas Troops at the border, but his criticism are correct.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

loving lol, that apartheid under capitalism can't even pay the stormtroopers.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

loving lol, that apartheid under capitalism can't even pay the stormtroopers.

It's a consequence of Texas using the Guard as a state militia rather than the Guard being funded for its normal mission. All those states resisting the Federal vaccine mandate for their troops will eventually end up like this if they don't play ball. The NG will lose Federal funding and status and just revert to being a poorly trained and paid collection of soldiers serving at the behest of the governor.

If left unchecked this would be one of those things that future historians will look back on and say was a sign of the dissolution of the Union.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

PeterCat posted:

It's a consequence of Texas using the Guard as a state militia rather than the Guard being funded for its normal mission. All those states resisting the Federal vaccine mandate for their troops will eventually end up like this if they don't play ball. The NG will lose Federal funding and status and just revert to being a poorly trained and paid collection of soldiers serving at the behest of the governor.

If left unchecked this would be one of those things that future historians will look back on and say was a sign of the dissolution of the Union.

:agreed:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can't wait until 'defund the police' actually happens under the hard right because they genuinely believe in not paying people. At least the police are legally allowed to plunder and pillage.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

To show how bizarre the immigration policies in the US are, consider this. People seeking Immigrant Visas while attempting to enter the US legally are required to show proof of Covid vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/15/1037410464/us-immigrant-visa-applicant-coronavirus-covid-vaccine

However, migrants illegally crossing the US border are not required to have the vaccine, can not be forced to have the vaccine, and in many cases refuse testing or vaccination.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...e5-cc86c621fe95

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ice-ramps-up-vaccination-of-immigrants-in-u-s-custody-but-thousands-have-refused/

Also, one issue with the border fence is that there are several Indian Reservations that straddle the border. The Reservations will not allow the larger fence to be built on their property, creating a convenient place for migrants to cross as there is only a vehicle barrier present. The following video details a gap in the fence west of Yuma, AZ. I have personally been to fence and have seen literally hundreds of people crossing at this point. They are not attempting to be discreet and are actively looking for CBP agents to surrender to. Personally, I think a regular shuttle bus from this section of the Border to the Yuma CBP facility should be created to simplify the process.

The following video has a good breakdown of the border gap at the Cocopah Indian Reservation near Yuma. Ignore some of the voice over's opinions, but the factual statements are true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaWSVvMfwHE

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Things are still dangerous on the Northern Border too, as a family of 4 froze to death while trying to cross the US-Canada border.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...a2-8a2647813b7b

article posted:

MINNEAPOLIS — Editor's note: The video above first aired on KARE 11 Jan. 25, 2022.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in Manitoba have confirmed the identities of four family members who were found frozen to death last week near the U.S.-Canada border.

The Indian nationals were identified as Jagdishkumar Patel, 39; Vaishaliben Patel, 37; Vihangi Patel, 11; and 3-year-old Dharmik Patel. Following autopsies by the Chief Office of the Medical Examiner of Manitoba, the cause of death was determined to be due to to exposure.

Their bodies were found Jan. 19 within feet from the border, on the Canadian side where North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota converge. Law enforcement said the family arrived in Toronto, Canada a week earlier, and made their way to Emerson, Manitoba on or around Jan. 18.

The RCMP said the preliminary investigation gives them reason to believe the discovery to be a case of human smuggling.

According to a criminal complaint, investigators believe the four family members may have become separated from a larger group of India natives, all working with an individual, later identified as 47-year-old Steve Shand, to cross into the United States in northwestern Minnesota. Special Agent John Stanley wrote that “most had limited or no English language speaking ability” and appeared to hail from Gujarat, a state in western India. One of the migrants told investigators that “he paid a significant amount of money to enter Canada from India under a fraudulently obtained student visa,” with the goal of crossing into the U.S. to reunite with an uncle in Chicago.

It is not clear from the criminal complaint how Shand, who is charged with human smuggling, became connected with the family members, but investigators said they believe he’s involved in a “larger human smuggling operation.” Shand appeared in federal court on Monday, but no further court dates have been set and he was given an order for release without bond. He will be released with restrictions “when transportation is coordinated,” according to a federal court spokesperson. Shand declined to speak with investigators, according to the criminal complaint.

On Wednesday, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar wrote a letter to the Department of Homeland Security asking for more information about how they're combatting human smuggling.

In the letter, Sen. Klobuchar asked a series of questions, including what the department is doing to identify individuals involved in human smuggling, and what steps, if any, Congress could do to help.

"I have long advocated for the expansion of federal anti-trafficking and anti-smuggling efforts. As a former prosecutor, I know how important it is for the federal government to closely coordinate with state and tribal law enforcement, as well as with international governments, to combat this threat and to provide resources to officials working on the front lines of the fight against smuggling and trafficking.," Sen. Klobuchar said in her letter.

There is no exact data on human smuggling, but federal statistics show there is much more border activity in the South as opposed to the North. In fiscal year 2021, the government reported more than 1.7 million “encounters” at the Southwest land border, compared to just 27,000 on the Northern land border.

Although human smuggling attempts are less common in parts of northern Minnesota or North Dakota, they can still pose incredible risks to immigrants because of the frigid temperatures. Last week, the wind chill hovered around negative 40 degrees.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I posted this in CE, but here it is for this thread as well...

https://twitter.com/camiloreports/status/1489407873792757761
https://twitter.com/camiloreports/status/1489426014031728642

Obviously, this is an inhumane way to treat any group of refugees, but it's an especially cruel response to people from countries that the U.S. has genuinely decimated over the past few decades - within many of our lifetimes, in fact.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

December 2021's monthly CBP Summary.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-releases-december-2021-monthly-operational-update

CBP Southwest Border Enforcement Numbers for December 2021

CBP posted:

The large number of expulsions during the pandemic has contributed to a higher-than-usual number of migrants making multiple border crossing attempts, which means that total encounters somewhat overstate the number of unique individuals arriving at the border.

CBP encountered an average of 5,769 individuals a day at the Southwest border in December 2021, a slight decrease from the November 2021 daily average.
The number of unique individuals encountered in December 2021 was 135,040, a 5 percent increase in the number of unique individuals encountered the prior month.
In total, there were 178,840 encounters along the Southwest land border in December, a 2 percent increase compared to November. Of those, 23 percent involved individuals who had at least one prior encounter in the previous 12 months, compared to an average one-year re-encounter rate of 14 percent for FY2014-2019.

Two-thirds (64 percent) of encounters were single adults, with 114,993 encounters in December, a 4 percent decrease compared to November.

78,589 encounters, 44 percent of the total, were processed for expulsion under Title 42. 100,251 encounters were processed under Title 8.

68,347 encounters involving single adults (59 percent of all single adult encounters) were processed for expulsion under Title 42, with 46,646 processed under Title 8.

10,005 encounters involving family unit individuals (19 percent of all family unit individuals) were processed for expulsion under Title 42, with 41,619 processed under Title 8.

Unaccompanied Children

Encounters of unaccompanied children decreased 14 percent, with 11,921 encounters in December compared with 13,937 in November. In December, the average number of unaccompanied children in CBP custody was 352 per day, compared with an average of 926 per day in November.
Family Unit individuals

Encounters of family unit individuals increased by 15 percent from 45,062 in November to 51,624 in December—which is 40 percent decrease from the peak of 86,631 in August 2021.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Here is a guide to the Title 42 removals. Title 42 is the section of the US health code that allows the Customs and Border Protections to bar from entry or remove anyone that is a high risk of carrying a communicable disease.

One thing that stands out to me is the following:

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/guide-title-42-expulsions-border

American Immigrant Council posted:

Those who are subject to Title 42 are not given any opportunity to contest their expulsion on the grounds that they would face persecution in the country to which they will be expelled. There is an extraordinarily limited exception to Title 42 for people who “spontaneously” inform CBP officers that they fear being tortured in the country to which they will be expelled. However, in order to receive an official screening by an asylum officer for exemption under that provision, the CBP officer must first determine that the claim is “reasonably believable.” From March 2020 through September 2021, just 3,217 people were screened for torture prior to being expelled, and only 272 people were taken out of Title 42 and permitted to seek asylum.

The removals were started under President Trump as a way to stop and deter the flow of migrants coming across the border and the Biden administration continues to use this process in the same manner.

In other news the Florida legislature is passing anti-immigration bills that will have little practical effect.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/immigration-bill-gets-backing-in-house

CBS12 posted:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (News Service of Florida) — Following the lead of Gov. Ron DeSantis, Florida House members Thursday began moving forward with a controversial proposal to try to boost immigration enforcement and target companies that transport undocumented immigrants into the state.

“We know, through a complete dereliction of duty, the federal government has allowed the Southern border to be an open stream,” House sponsor John Snyder, R-Stuart, said.

But Rep. Geraldine Thompson, D-Windermere, said the bill is a “guise for a presidential election,” as DeSantis is widely viewed as a potential Republican candidate for the White House in 2024. She also said immigration enforcement is beyond the role of state lawmakers.

The proposal would bar the state and local governments from contracting with such companies “if the carrier is willfully providing any service in furtherance of transporting an unauthorized alien into the State of Florida knowing that the unauthorized alien entered into or remains in the United States in violation of law.”

Thompson questioned Snyder about whether any companies that transport undocumented immigrants for the federal government have state or local contracts. Snyder said efforts are underway to determine the transportation companies that are involved and whether they have such contracts.

Opponents of the bill argued that targeting transportation companies could prevent unaccompanied immigrant children from being brought into the state for care and shelter.

“The transportation is not illegal,” said Karen Woodall, a lobbyist for the Florida Center for Fiscal & Economic Policy who has long worked on social-service and children’s issues. “It is being covered, it is required by federal law.”

The bill also would require counties to enter agreements with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to participate in a program in which local law-enforcement officers help in immigration enforcement. A Senate staff analysis said 49 Florida law-enforcement agencies already have such agreements.

In addition, the bill would expand a 2019 law that sought to ban so-called sanctuary cities. It would prevent local governments from blocking law-enforcement agencies from sharing information with the state about the immigration status of people in custody.

The 2019 law was designed to spur local law-enforcement agencies to fully comply with federal immigration detainers and share information with immigration authorities after undocumented immigrants are in custody.

But U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom in September ruled that two parts of the sanctuary-cities law violated constitutional due-process rights — a ruling the state has appealed. Bloom pointed to what she described as an “immigrant threat narrative” that helped lead to the law.

The "Open stream" rhetoric is what gets me. The Federal Government has put 3000 National Guardsmen at the border, in addition to the normal CBP agents. They are both actively patrolling the border looking for migrants, and as shown above a majority of those crossing over are removed from the country. So it's that old thing of the Democratic Administration doing what the Republicans are ostensibly for while the Republicans still carry on with the idea that the Democrats have completely opened the border and registering everyone who arrives as a Democratic voter.

It's not consistent with reality and the scary part is that there are members of the NG and the CBP on the border who are involved in catching and processing migrants who believe what Fox News tells them rather than what they actually learn at work.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The administration has a plan for immigration reform and is posted on the administration website. It does state that it will create centers in Central American countries at which migrants may apply for refugee status.

The proposal was part of the Build Back Better bill and is effectively dead, barring a change in heart from 2 Democratic Senators.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...gration-system/

I am personally dubious that giving the governments of Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala $4 billion will be successful at "rooting out corruption."

White House.gov posted:

Start from the source. The bill codifies and funds the President’s $4 billion four-year inter-agency plan to address the underlying causes of migration in the region, including by increasing assistance to El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, conditioned on their ability to reduce the endemic corruption, violence, and poverty that causes people to flee their home countries. [b[It also creates safe and legal channels for people to seek protection, including by establishing Designated Processing Centers throughout Central America to register and process displaced persons for refugee resettlement and other lawful migration avenues—either to the United States or other partner countries. [/b] The bill also re-institutes the Central American Minors program to reunite children with U.S. relatives and creates a Central American Family Reunification Parole Program to more quickly unite families with approved family sponsorship petitions.

I am curious what "other partner countries" the US is planning on shipping refugees to though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Majorian posted:

I posted this in CE, but here it is for this thread as well...

It's especially infuriating to see an administration who is preparing to declare COVID over and everyone going back to normal still "concerned" enough about the disease to use it as a pretense to continue dehumanizing migrants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PeterCat posted:

Here is a guide to the Title 42 removals. Title 42 is the section of the US health code that allows the Customs and Border Protections to bar from entry or remove anyone that is a high risk of carrying a communicable disease.

One thing that stands out to me is the following:

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/guide-title-42-expulsions-border

The removals were started under President Trump as a way to stop and deter the flow of migrants coming across the border and the Biden administration continues to use this process in the same manner.

In other news the Florida legislature is passing anti-immigration bills that will have little practical effect.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/immigration-bill-gets-backing-in-house

The "Open stream" rhetoric is what gets me. The Federal Government has put 3000 National Guardsmen at the border, in addition to the normal CBP agents. They are both actively patrolling the border looking for migrants, and as shown above a majority of those crossing over are removed from the country. So it's that old thing of the Democratic Administration doing what the Republicans are ostensibly for while the Republicans still carry on with the idea that the Democrats have completely opened the border and registering everyone who arrives as a Democratic voter.

It's not consistent with reality and the scary part is that there are members of the NG and the CBP on the border who are involved in catching and processing migrants who believe what Fox News tells them rather than what they actually learn at work.

They know exactly what they're doing. It's the same working the refs that they've been doing for decades, screaming that the Demmicrats are being muslim obammunists letting in the browns to shoot all the jobs so Democrats pointlessly try to appease them with horrible fascist policies their own voters hate, and then wonder why the Republican tune remains exactly the same, obviously we weren't racist enough and need to be more.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also, DHS/CBP may soon deploy robot dogs on the border to supplement agents.

Given that there aren't enough agents to patrol the border, this make sense. You don't have to recruit the robot dog to join the CBP you just have to build one.

https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/news/02/01/feature-article-robot-dogs-take-another-step-towards-deployment

article posted:

The American Southwest is a region that blends a harsh landscape, temperature extremes and various other non-environmental threats that can create dangerous obstacles for those who patrol the border. The territory is vast and monitoring it is critical to our nation’s security. That’s why the Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) is offering U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) a helping hand (or “paw”) with new technology that can assist with enhancing the capabilities of CBP personnel, while simultaneously increasing their safety downrange.

S&T has a deep understanding of CBP’s technology needs in the field. In its role as the research and development arm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), S&T is always identifying solutions to support the complex CBP mission. For instance, S&T is currently supplementing CBP’s bipedal human personnel with quadruped mechanical reinforcements to help the agency better allocate resources. In this case, Man’s best friend comes with a very futuristic twist.

“The southern border can be an inhospitable place for man and beast, and that is exactly why a machine may excel there,” said S&T program manager, Brenda Long. “This S&T-led initiative focuses on Automated Ground Surveillance Vehicles, or what we call ‘AGSVs.’ Essentially, the AGSV program is all about…robot dogs.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

PeterCat posted:

Also, DHS/CBP may soon deploy robot dogs on the border to supplement agents.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

We're now 3 years from when Trump served fast food to the Clemson University Tigers, in celebration of their victory in the N.C.A.A.'s football championship.

If you don't remember why Trump served fast food, it's because the government shutdown over his refusal to sign a spending bill without $5 billion for the border wall in it. Eventually he relented and signed a bipartisan bill that did not have the funding for the border wall in it. Then he turned around and declared a Federal state of emergency on February 15, 2019 which allowed him to divert money from the DoD to his wall and and he got what he wanted anyway.

On February 11, 2021 President Biden canceled the state of emergency, thereby canceling money to the wall and the funding for, among other things, the deployment of the National Guard to the border. Then quietly re-activated the Guard mission in July, 2021 with funding coming from the CARES Act under the auspices of controlling the spread of Covid.

What strikes me about this is how Trump wasn't afraid to let things grind to a halt to get what he wanted, and when that didn't work, he found a way to get his main campaign promise funded anyway, while Biden seems ready to throw up his hands at the slightest resistance and declare the presidency a powerless office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergency_Concerning_the_Southern_Border_of_the_United_States

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
It is basically impossible to see any difference between the immigration and border policies of Trump and Biden at this point.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Even though there is still apparently a state of emergency at the US Border, the Biden administration is going to send CBP agents to Ukraine to facilitate US personnel and refugees fleeing the conflict.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...C-kfZ-Ln-FsKgSI

story posted:

In a memo sent Thursday morning and obtained by Just the News, CBP's office of field operations sought volunteers willing to deploy immediately to Poland for "Operation Ukraine Support."

The request comes six months after a similar effort to process Afghan refugees after the bungled U.S. exit from that country. That operation was sharply criticized Friday by the Pentagon inspector general for poor Defense Department vetting that allowed 50 Afghans posing serious security risks to enter the United States.

"The Office of Field Operations is seeking volunteers to assist with the possible evacuation of U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and their immediate family members from Ukraine," the memo sent to field operations executives said.

"Eligible employees who volunteer for this situation may be selected to serve a temporary duty assignment in Poland to facilitate travelers for entry into the U.S., to include providing guidance and problems resolution to other government agencies."

The memo said volunteers need to be ready to deploy "within 2-3 days" of selection and should plan for about a month's work overseas. It also offered a plan for COVID-19 mitigation that said workers need to either have the vaccine or natural immunity from a recent infection.

"As a mission necessity and to avoid post-arrival quarantine, volunteers must be able to provide a negative PCR test taken within 24 hours of arrival and meet one of the following conditions: fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccination" or "recovered from COVID-19 within six months prior to arrival."

"Once deployed employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and may be required to work irregular shifts and schedules, up to seven days per week including holidays and weekends," the memo cautioned, offering volunteers overtime pay.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Why the hell are you linking a literal far right website in any shape or form?

Irregardless of the article, brietbart is toxic garbage that posts alt right and neo Nazi propaganda, and nothing there should ever be taken at face value.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Why the hell are you linking a literal far right website in any shape or form?

Irregardless of the article, brietbart is toxic garbage that posts alt right and neo Nazi propaganda, and nothing there should ever be taken at face value.

I'm willing to bet that they have readers in the CBP who are willing to pass along internal memos.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PeterCat posted:

I'm willing to bet that they have readers in the CBP who are willing to pass along internal memos.

In literally the first line you quoted from the article....

quote:

In a memo sent Thursday morning and obtained by Just the News

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Aid groups are refusing to cooperate with the Biden Administration's Remain in Mexico police as cooperating would give legitimacy to the program.

The following article points out that though Remain in Mexico was court ordered, the program requires agreement from the Mexican government, which is not under the jurisdiction of US Courts, and the Biden Administration was not forced to reach out to Mexico to re-implement the program.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/aid-groups-to-stop-representing-migrants-in-remain-in-mexico-program-11645707634?mod=djem10point

Wall Street Journal posted:

EL PASO, Texas—Some prominent border aid groups are refusing the federal government’s requests to provide legal representation to people in the program known as Remain in Mexico, in what they say is an effort to pressure the Biden administration to end it permanently.

The Biden administration recently restarted the program as required by a court order after stopping it last winter. The program, officially called Migrant Protection Protocols, or MPP, sends migrants who illegally enter the U.S. to Mexico to wait until their requests for asylum are resolved in U.S. courts.

Aid groups gave legal help to roughly 4,000 of about 70,000 people put into the program during the Trump administration, according to data from the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University. About 1% of MPP participants whose cases were decided before the pandemic began won asylum or other legal protection.

The Biden administration, which has said it wants to end MPP, said it would try to offer participants safer living conditions and more legal assistance. It has pressed the aid groups to continue offering assistance in U.S. legal proceedings that can be daunting for migrants who often aren’t well educated and understand little or no English.

Last fall, the Biden administration asked representatives from more than a dozen legal aid groups during a Zoom call to work in partnership with it as it relaunched the program. The representatives left the Zoom call in unison to register their disapproval, according to people with knowledge of the call.

Aid groups said they didn’t want their involvement to be seen as a tacit endorsement of the program. The aid groups say MPP puts asylum seekers in danger by sending them to high-crime border cities, often thousands of miles from their homes in Central or South America.

“There is no way to make putting someone at risk of kidnapping and murder kinder and gentler,” said Hollie Webb, an attorney with Al Otro Lado, one of the aid groups that has stopped representing migrants in MPP.

Aid groups also say northern Mexico has grown too unsafe to send attorneys to. Human-rights organizations have reported hundreds of instances of kidnappings, rape and other violent crimes against migrants sent back to Mexico, who frequently must pass through territory controlled by drug cartels each time they want to come to a U.S. border crossing for a court date.

Border Patrol agents made about 1.9 million arrests of people trying to illegally enter the U.S. in 2021, a record that reflects a continuing upsurge in attempted crossings from Mexico. A little over 1 million were sent back to Mexico or their home countries under a public health law known as Title 42 first implemented at the border by the Trump administration at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Biden administration restarted MPP after a federal judge in December ordered it to in a case brought by the states of Texas and Missouri. The government appealed and the Supreme Court recently agreed to hear the case, with arguments likely in April and a decision by July.

The legal aid groups and other migrant advocates say the administration didn’t have to implement MPP in the way it did following the court ruling because, under law, restarting it required an agreement with Mexico and the administration could have deliberately decided to avoid a deal with Mexican authorities.

In addition, the Biden administration made people from all Western Hemisphere countries eligible, following an influx of migrants from Haiti last summer. Previously, it was restricted to people from countries where the native language is Spanish, as in Mexico.

About 500 people have been placed in the program since the Biden administration restarted it in December.

In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security said migrants who claim they are afraid to go back to Mexico in the MPP program are given 24 hours to speak with a lawyer who helps prepare them for an interview with immigration authorities but doesn’t otherwise represent them.

“A number of individuals and organizations are providing pro bono legal services for those enrolled in the program, and we expect that over time more individuals and groups will come forward to support MPP enrollees,” the agency said.

The Biden administration is working with large law firms to conduct basic legal orientation briefings for migrants appearing in court. The programs involve explanations of their legal rights and a general description of the proceedings, but not specific legal advice.

The law firm Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is overseeing volunteers from other firms as part of that effort.

Steve Schulman, pro bono partner at Akin Gump, said the firm arranges for lawyers to take shifts in which, via telephone, they advise migrants being sent back to Mexico on possible ways to qualify for an exception and remain in the U.S.

Mr. Schulman said his participation doesn’t mean he supports Remain in Mexico. “I don’t think the people I am working with in the administration are fans of MPP either,” he said. “But they believe in the rule of law and want to follow the law, and I respect that.”

On consecutive afternoons inside an El Paso immigration courtroom in January, several men appeared before a judge, one after another, and told him they hadn’t found anyone to represent them.

Misael Andres Castro Zeledon, who is from Nicaragua, told Judge Nathan Herbert he was afraid to return to either Nicaragua or Mexico. Judge Herbert directed the government to interview him about his fears of going back to Mexico and ordered him to return for another hearing in early March with three copies of an asylum application filled out in English.

U.S. immigration laws are complicated, Judge Herbert cautioned the group of migrants before him over two days, and urged them to keep trying to find a lawyer.

Corrections & Amplifications
The Biden administration is working with large law firms to conduct basic legal orientation briefings for migrants appearing in court. An earlier version of this article incorrectly said the administration had contracted with the firms. (Corrected on Feb. 24)

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 26, 2022