Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's like a really well written and plotted "trust nobody" spy thriller only they added layers of paranoia and deception on top by creating a split within the cast's lifetime so anyone's Other could have been duplicitous all along - or maybe only recently.

I also really like how they frame the parallel universes; it isn't the standard trope where parallel universes still amazingly have roughly the same people at the same places despite massive amounts of changed history. There was one universe, suddenly there were two, and there isn't an "original" and an "alternate" universe. Our perspective is simply based on the meek Howard being our point of view character, no more. Reminds me of Farscape season 3, where there were suddenly two versions of Crichton; it was faulty question to ask which version was the original because there wasn't an actual correct answer to give.

Show's great, they're really moving the plot along, and there was already a second season ordered so there's plenty of time for an audience to build. Looking forward to seeing where they take things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the way they're just teasing things is impressive.

Obviously both Emilies were involved with high level espionage / Interchange functions, so we can probably assume that she was doing that before the dimensions split. Was the trigger for Other Howard becoming a badass finding out that his Emily was lying to him about everything, or was there another series of events? How much of who we are is based on our actions compared to what is done to us by other people?

Also to make us paranoid about everything, was the pandemic a natural occurrence on the other side, like maybe they got a version of SARS that continued spreading unchecked, or was it a biological attack across the doorway?

Neat stuff.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I know they are introducing things quite slowly here but do we have a clear idea as to when the gate was created in relation to the lives of all these characters? Were they all in their 20’s at the time I’m guessing?

The timeline's already a bit clunky in this regard. Assuming the show also takes place in 2018:

Howard's been at Interchange nearly 30 years.
The split happened during the Cold War.
Baldwin was probably around 10 or 11 when the split happened since she claimed that she was around 9 or 10 when her father died; that was before the split as both versions of her explicitly remember it happening.

So as far as I can peg it we're looking at somewhere between 1987 and 1989. This assumes that they're just fudging the Baldwin timeline (or she looks incredibly young for someone in their late 30s/early 40s). Presumably Interchange either didn't exist prior to the split or was hastily repurposed into its current mission when the split happened; Howard's job for his entire tenure as best we can tell was doing the coded message translation work.

So, yeah, I'm guessing the main cast was all around 10-30 when the divergence occurred.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How is this show so good? The cast is killing it.

Howard is both :smith: and :unsmith: at the same time.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

This show is really good.

When Second Howard found the box and First Howard was just sitting there, I may have gotten something in both my eyes at the same time.

Yeah, the way he sold both Howards processing the different contents of the same room and what they meant was just incredibly well done.

Like I don't think the show is going to ever definitely argue at one specific event changing the course of Howard's life, and certainly Anna being born didn't mean that Other Howard and Emily worked out long term, but loss of a child as a trigger for Meek Howard ending up with the life he did certainly has to be up there.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Is the guy Marcel tries to pick up in the first episode explained? Because it seems like he was working with Baldwin (I dunno why he'd lock himself in if it wasn't part of a trap), but I thought it was stated that she came through alone.

There's obviously a greater network of agents working on this side (ex. Baldwin's handler), so they would just have tapped a local resource to assist in the hit.

Whether that resource also crossed over in the past or is a native related to the leak in the Third Floor, no idea.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I kinda feel bad for Quayle. I can't tell if he's actually good at his job or not but he seems like he's trying to do things right.

joe football posted:

Laughed out loud at the sci fi polygraph scene

Interrogators: Tell us your secrets :mad:
dumbass nice guy Howard: I dunno :confused:
Interrogators: Oh my god he's more devious then ever :ohdear:

Yeah, and him sprinkling in just enough belligerance for authenticity was great.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Quayle, man, you have a really lovely poker face

Edit: I'm going to be fascinated to see what kind of espionage indoctrination programs the "main" side has going on because no loving way is the other side the only one playing this game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense to me that attacking under the guise of an animal flu would be perfectly reasonable if you were going for casualties, disruption and panic but weren't aiming for complete eradication of the populace. Even if you were, a 7% mortality rate on a global scale is astronomical if it's something you can't directly control like a virus. And if your goal was to directly cripple population centers to get an upper hand in a cold war type scenario, there you go.

As for the fanaticism of the School itself...well, look at how crazy America got over the 9/11 attacks and that was only around 3000 people dead. If you believe that a pandemic that killed nearly half a billion people was an intentional attack there really is no limit to what you might actually do in retaliation.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

joe football posted:

The kids born after the flu divergence aren't really likely to have counterparts are they? At this point the x number of years of training and brainwashing is more to create fanatics then replacements

Yeah, I imagine the number of actual Clare style counterpart replacements was fairly limited due to the complexity of such an operation and the limited shelf life of a plan due to time progression. I have to assume the main focus was always just building fanatical sleeper agents for use on both sides of the crossing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also, in case there was any doubt, Aldrich is goddamn hardcore. Don't gently caress with him.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

My guess is that they wanted to open a clear passage for more goons to stream I'm from their side to... do something. Otherwise they could've blown it up or something.

Yeah, that was my take. Break all the locks in the open position, clear security to the gate, and send over as many agents as possible without having to dick around with visas (and also to send over folks without counterparts they would have to replace).

Not sure why Richard Schiff wasn't taken out; taking out the head diplomat would have been a huge blow. I figure either it was to help maintain Clare's cover or perhaps he's already been compromised and still useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I saw this scene as something like the way the Berlin wall worked in the cold war. If he hadn't made it to the border then Aldrich would have been free and clear to take him back, or shoot him, but the guy just barely made it over the border and had Aldrich crossed to bring the guy back it would have been a serious escalation of an already serious international (interdimensional?) incident.

Aldrich literally drove his counterpart insane so there would be less chance of his professionalism and allegiance being questioned. He's not going to break a fundamental part of the treaty no matter how small the action was in that specific context.

• Locked thread