Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I should be getting a tax return this year and plan to get a gaming computer so I can finally do something other than Pokemon Go in the hottest part of the year.

Here is where I run into the "nope save your money don't get a new computer." We have Cox Wifi in the house, and my bedroom is the farthest point from the router/modem combo box. I don't have an ethernet port in my room and am not aware of any in this half of the house. I do get several dead wifi spots in my room too. Either way, gaming on wifi is a No No, I'm told.

We used to have a basic Linksys router in the bedroom next to mine, and I do remember having a cord linking that to the back of my desktop instead of having a wifi adapter dongle. But the new Cox combo, likely because there was no ethernet spot in the spare bedroom, wasn't placed there.

I've been told to simply run an ethernet cable across the house, but with my animals and the layout of the hallways, it ain't happening. I was looking at powerline networks and mesh routers but don't know if that would work with this poo poo Cox combo or if there's any other way for an idiot with computers do to this short of moving my computer desk to the living room where the combo box is.

Correction: I did find a phone jack marked Cat 5 behind our incubator stand in the spare room. So I guess that is an ethernet port? But how could I connect that or use that with the modem/router box across the house?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004
If all your phone outlets are cat5, there should be a switch somewhere in the house, maybe in the garage? But you can rewire the ports to do crossover or patch instead of the straight through wiring they use cat5 for phones for. But you would need to hook up the router/modem combo box into that switch.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So just plugging the box into that Cat5 wouldn't work, right?

derk
Sep 24, 2004
right. Have you ever made your own ethernet cables before?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nope. My mom decided rather than me gently caress things up, to have a Cox tech come out and see if he can do something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Welp at least the Cox dude tried.

The problem is the combo box. If the modem and router were separate we'd be fine, but we got a combo. The place in the spare room has no spot for the coax but a phone jack (and my mom insists on keeping the loving landline for reasons.) and the master bedroom has a coax spot but no phone jack near it.

So in short there is no way for me to get an ethernet connection to my computer. Damnit.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
there is always a way, but you my friend are an amateur.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

derk posted:

there is always a way, but you my friend are an amateur.

I freely admit that. You need help with a snake or tortoise or setting up an aquarium, I'm good. Computers? Not so much.

My friend's idea is to simply put hooks up on the walls and have an ethernet cord cover the entire drat house. My idea is to try and get a new computer stand and rearrange the room the router is in to make space for my desk. Sucks it won't be in my room but I doubt 200+ feet of ethernet cable is going to work splayed over the walls.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
maybe you know a handyman that could look at the situation and possibly drill holes and help hide the cable? the termination of cat5 is relatively simple and adding ports into rooms if need be or wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You could try powerline or if you have copper (coax) run across the house you could try EoC.

• Locked thread