Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least for speed skating, all they need is a zamboni pass to get it ready.

That's definitely a lot more involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

iospace posted:

At least for speed skating, all they need is a zamboni pass to get it ready.

That's definitely a lot more involved.

It's an art.

Also, Men With Brooms is a very good curling movie.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love curling, I don't even know why but I can't turn away when it's on TV.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

ilmucche posted:

The Brad Jacobs rink had some means gazes and comments sent their way when they hit the scene if I'm remembering it right, because they had the gall to cheer and whoop a bit when they were making good shots.

Brad Jacobs is an rear end in a top hat and I won't hear anything to the contrary.

There are often a few broken brooms from curlers slamming it on the sideboards when they miss the shot. You'll also hear quite a few fucks because the players are all miked up. John Morris does it quite a bit but he's toned it down either because he's at the Olympics or because he doesn't want to swear around women.

Back in juniors I curled against a group of three brothers who were the sons of a former Canadian champion. They were courteous and even nice guys to people they were playing against but they were huge assholes to each other and the poor non brother on the team was stuck in the middle of all the arguments. One time the skip and the third disagreed on a shot the third was throwing. The skip won the argument and the third threw the rock about twice as heavy as he needed to and nowhere near where it was supposed to go and then said "See? I told you it wouldn't loving work!".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ilmucche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFC8CnOD8w

It's called pebbling and is traditionally done by a man with a jug of water and a stick. Seriously. It's a real art.

Typically the ice will be scraped between draws of a bonspiel/ tournament to give it a flat surface then repebbled. There's a crazy amount of work that goes into making sure the ice is consistent for play.

The Brad Jacobs rink had some means gazes and comments sent their way when they hit the scene if I'm remembering it right, because they had the gall to cheer and whoop a bit when they were making good shots.

Chicken posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they do it for the Olympics but it's probably pretty similar to how they do it in clubs. Ice making is a huge part of curling and there's a Canadian curling hero named Shorty Jenkins (A+ name) who's famous solely for ice making.

Maybe half an hour before each game you'll see some dude with what looks like a backpack come onto the ice and walk backwards down each sheet gently sprinkling water drops the whole way. After that, he'll take a huge planer out onto the ice which just barely clips off the very top of the new ice pebbles. The final step is to take a seven foot wide lambswool broom out onto the ice to clear off all of the ice shavings. At the Olympics they probably add a few steps but the process is functionally the same.

Over time in a game the pebble will gradually wear away and you might hear curlers comment on "flat spots" or say a rock is "running" in a spot. It probably won't come up much in the mixed doubles as the games are shorter and they only throw 10 rocks an end, but it will definitely be a factor for the men's and women's events. It's all part of the game and the skips just keep an eye on it and might expect rocks to curl a bit less and go a bit slower as the game goes on.

Another factor is the conditions in the building. Humidity is a huge problem and when you have larger than normal crowds (like a gold medal game) the heat and humidity from the crowd can hugely affect the ice. I think this building was purpose built for curling and they have some great ice makers so they should be able to mitigate that.

Neat

Thanks

I'm a very behind the scenes kind of person and for some reason I'm super interested in how it works.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chicken posted:

Brad Jacobs is an rear end in a top hat and I won't hear anything to the contrary.

There was an interview with him about the celebrating and he came across as a bit of a dick. I can definitely see him as a curling bro.

Please don't tell me glenn howard was also a mean guy :ohdear:

Renegret posted:

Neat
Thanks
I'm a very behind the scenes kind of person and for some reason I'm super interested in how it works.

Watch Men With Brooms, it shows you how a team trains and supports each other through the training for a major tournament.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is the US so bad at curling? Minnesota alone has 5.5 million people which is slightly more than Norway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josh Lyman posted:

How is the US so bad at curling? Minnesota alone has 5.5 million people which is slightly more than Norway.

:thunk:

(real answer: no clue)

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I do not understand why we keep sending John Shuster to the Olympics. He hosed up so bad in 2010 that people were saying it was actually good for the sport by inspiring so many people to say "I could do better than that!" and take up curling for the first time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I do not understand why we keep sending John Shuster to the Olympics. He hosed up so bad in 2010 that people were saying it was actually good for the sport by inspiring so many people to say "I could do better than that!" and take up curling for the first time.

He keeps winning our trials so I'd imagine we don't have any one better. I'm kind of surprised random countries aren't poaching elite curlers from Canada who have a minuscule chance of going to the Olympics representing Canada.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Haschel Cedricson posted:

lol, USA curling tried their very best to freeze him out by leaving him out of their High Performance Program but he still won.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

So at the world men's curling championships, the Americas get two spots and up until five years ago, they went to Canada and the US by default. But for the past five years some Brazilian guys who live in Canada have been trying to get in as Brazil.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curling/continental-cup-canada-brazil-curling-1.4486222

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chicken posted:

So at the world men's curling championships, the Americas get two spots and up until five years ago, they went to Canada and the US by default. But for the past five years some Brazilian guys who live in Canada have been trying to get in as Brazil.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curling/continental-cup-canada-brazil-curling-1.4486222

I love stories about random countries trying to qualify for big events. I also like how it sounds like curling Canada just called different teams until they found someone that had a free weekend to deal with it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember someone saying the US takes full clubs and not "all star" teams. On one hand it's nice to keep people together for chemistry, but then you might not be getting the best possible players.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I won't say that an all star team wouldn't work for the US, but most of the top teams in the world have been together for a long time. There might be one or two changes due to life events (moving away from where the team practices, can't commit to the insane schedule needed to be an Olympic athlete, etc) but the core of a team usually stays together for a long time.

The best way to make a team better in the short term is money. Pay for the best coaches, pay for training, pay for them to go to some World Curling Tour events or the Grand Slam events in Canada. I see lots of European teams on the tour and a handful of Asian teams, but the American teams are almost never there. Also focus not just on one team, but two or three to give them some competition and some continuity if one team disbands or starts declining. The Scottish have been really successful at this and while their men's teams aren't great at the moment, they have three teams who could all be real good for the next Olympics.

In the long term, focus on junior teams. It's a lot cheaper and you don't have people leaving for job opportunities or to have kids or something. It gives people an opportunity to compete on the world stage and get used to the training regimen. Get a few groups of two or three people who can form the core of a team and then add players who complement that.

Canada is very lucky in that we have at least ten teams on both the mens and women's side who could compete at the Olympics at any moment and curlings big enough here that the high performance stuff is done at a local level without much oversight. But obviously we're the only country that can do that.

I hope you Americans can have a cool and good team next Olympics!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This Canadian bloke is a bit of a dickhead tbh

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

This Canadian bloke is a bit of a dickhead tbh
Is it just me or does he keep calling her Kayla?

Also wtf you lose the hammer if you blank the end?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

leftist heap posted:

lol, USA curling tried their very best to freeze him out by leaving him out of their High Performance Program but he still won.

He also go into a lot better shape this time around and dropped about 30 lbs from the last Olympics.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it just me or does he keep calling her Kayla?

Also wtf you lose the hammer if you blank the end?

He just got done calling her good girl so maybe that’s the name of his dog

They’re doing well though

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the US is not good

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Canada's pretty good at this curling thing, eh?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gret posted:

Canada's pretty good at this curling thing, eh?
Kaitlyn Lawes came to kick rear end and eat poutine, and she's all out of poutine

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol US just screwed themselves out of a guaranteed point

wtf China screwed themselves out of a steal

lol US gave the steal back to China

Curling: piss poor skill from everyone except Canadians

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 10, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BBC are only showing the Canada match so I’m stuck with this

They curl good

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
stop dropping points from advantageous positions you loving chuds

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

who the hell said the canadian duo wouldn't gel they already have gold medals

like the swiss give up early

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Seems a bit early to concede.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’ve heard commentary comparing curling to things like chess so maybe it’s like that where it’s bad form to drag things out if you already lost

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

I’ve heard commentary comparing curling to things like chess so maybe it’s like that where it’s bad form to drag things out if you already lost
Nah, people just call it chess on ice because they want to play up the strategery

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Norway can go get hosed. 🇫🇮

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah, people just call it chess on ice because they want to play up the strategery

It’s like Starcraft on ice

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

It’s like Starcraft on ice
Pls don’t troll. Starcraft is sacred.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

free curing in norway/finland

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
NotRussia had a great triple against Korea

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

who the hell said the canadian duo wouldn't gel they already have gold medals

like the swiss give up early

Their golds are with their real teams. They played together for the first time a month ago. It probably doesn’t matter since they are probably the two best individual players here anyways, but how they work together is as close to a weakness as they have.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

norway was clutch as gently caress

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye

John Wilkes Booth posted:

NotRussia had a great triple against Korea

That was pretty insane, sad for my Korean underdogs though

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Josh Lyman posted:

First time I ever heard about curling was taking the bus into St. Paul from Minneapolis, which goes by a curling club.

Didn't believe my father's answer when I asked him what curling was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

First time I ever heard about curling was taking the bus into St. Paul from Minneapolis, which goes by a curling club.

Didn't believe my father's answer when I asked him what curling was.
"You slides rocks into a circle and sweep the ice"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

In retrospect I am impressed he knew that much!

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF5xuLrjpY

• Locked thread