Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, one fairly important thing is that most of HEMA as practiced assumes both fighters to be unarmoured. For one, that's because it's relatively more common in most treatises. Treatises covering armoured fencing with relevant weapons do exist, but AFAIK they're a minority. Secondly, there's the issue of safety. Swords aren't particularly heavy, so when you just blunt them and put on some decent padding you're generally very safe outside of bruised knuckles and the occasional broken finger. The same doesn't really work as well for a warhammer, mace, poleaxe, or basically any percussion weapon. Sure, you could make them lighter until they're safe, or pile on stupendously thick and heavy armour/padding, but in either case you're losing out on accuracy. Last but not least, there's simple practicality. Even in an unarmoured HEMA-fight, it can be kind of tricky to determine when a valid hit has been scored. They commonly use the simple abstraction that as long as your weapon connects with your opponent it's a hit, but even that can lead to edge cases where things are less clear. Scoring an armoured fight would be even more difficult. For example, how would you gauge whether a thrust would have been strong enough to penetrate the (under-)armour or not?

Anyhow, what this means in practice is that they put a lot of (genuinely commendable) effort into reconstructing a lot of fencing techniques as accurately as possible, but ended up putting them into a context where they're only kinda-sorta applicable in the first place. If your opponent even just has so much as a helmet and a brigandine (which would have been quite reasonable for even a rando infantryman), then suddenly a whole lot of those techniques would suddenly be starkly compromised or outright useless. So basically the techniques they looked at in HEMA were legit, the way they ported them into the game seems legit as well, it's just that they ended up in an inappropriate context.

Fake edit: There's also a thing called "Battle of Nations" that does full-contact armoured combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxQR5haqTs. However, that one is sportified all to gently caress, mostly for safety reasons. Participants wear absolutely silly amounts of stiff padding beneath their armour, and just about all techniques that were historically used to fight armoured people are forbidden because, well, those were intended to kill and cripple people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, I've only just gotten started, still in what appears to be the prologue. I've just arrived in Talmberg, and I'm wondering: is there a way to get out of that place on good terms? Everybody there seems like pretty chill people, so I'd rather not sneak out under their noses against their specific wishes just to go cuddle some corpses.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Seriously though where do I get more lockpicks

Supposedly you can find them in nests occasionally?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, I wish the main quest would give me some room to breathe once in a while. It started out with an innocuous hunting trip, and then bandits! Now the stud farm is burning, rush there! Now the prime witness is missing, chase after him! That lead to another suspect, hurry to him before his mates get him!. It's nice to have a sense of urgency every now and then, but at this point I've just been hustling from one place to another, always with an implied time limit hanging over my head (given that the game has already shown itself willing to have quests outright fail if you wait for too long), for several hours' worth of gameplay. I just wanna take a moment, sell off all the swag I looted rightfully won, do a sidequest or three, and go on a proper shopping spree.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Verviticus posted:

why is fighting with a mace so different than swords? im just doing practice poo poo in rattay but literally every time i attack, its blocked and then i get smoked like 8 times in a row by the guard captain with absolutely no way to block or dodge

From the description, maces apparently have worse defense than other weapons and are supposed to be used with a shield. Though I dunno whether one's available in the practice arena.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Combos with the longsword are really good because they basically let you stab people directly in the eyes through their visors. I accidentally instantly killed the wandering duel knight with 1 combo and felt pretty bad about it

That one combo for one-handed swords (stab - left swing - low right swing) where you bonk the guy in the face with either your pommel or your shield is pretty great as well. Quick enough to land reliably and it seems to do decent damage against anybody without a visor. Managed to take down that same knight right quick with just a garbage hunting sword that way, without killing him.

Still felt a little bad about it though, what with taking his ancestral heirloom sword from him just to hawk it for mad money a bit later. His mom's gonna be so disappointed. :smith:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tei posted:

After living like a hobo a few days, I accidentally found a tumb, and inside there where some armour. One item worth 2.500. Life is soo much better when you can buy stuff.

I am using that money to learn a few skills, read more books, play the game in a more healty way. My long term goal is to become a poacher, but first I have to find a bow I can use.

Consider doing the main quest a little further, if you haven't already. A dude will take you on a hunt where you get a bow and a bunch of arrows for free, as well as an opportunity to legally shoot a bunch of hares to pump up those skills in peace.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where is user.cfg located?

In the base game directory, so something like \steamapps\common\Kingdom Come Deliverance\user.cfg . I think it's not automatically created by default, so you'll probably need to make it and put it there yourself.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Walking through the woods, I spot a giant chest sticking up from some undergrowth. Naturally I go there and check it out, hoping for some sweet lost heirloom equipment or something.

It was empty, but what wasn't empty was the undergrowth right next to it. Two Cumans had been hiding in there and came charging right at me, almost taking me out with the first surprise hits. But hey, at least I got a sweet helmet and a neat sabre out of it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, for all the reputation of CryEngine being a resource hog, it seems to scale down remarkably well. My rig is old as balls (still using a Geforce 660Ti :toot:), but after dialing everything down to low-medium settings the whole thing runs quite well at 30+ fps pretty much all the time. Sure, it doesn't look all that pretty (but also no worse than, say, Skyrim), but it's actually perfectly playable so far. Though the big battles might be a problem down the line. :ohdear:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Swords suck, use an axe

Speaking of, how well do axes perform in the longer term? Do the better ones have enough blunt damage to be useful against dudes in heavy mail/plate, or should I instead just hop straight to maces?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly for all combat skills just save your money and spend some time with Bernard beating this poo poo out of each other with training weapons. It trains all your stats and is free apart from the repair costs (also a good time to train maintenance!)

Yeah, Bernard is a great way to boost your skills to a decent minimum level. Slapping him around for a few minutes at a time is great to get your axe and mace skills up to level five-ish, which is probably enough to take them out into the wild.

That said, am I doing something wrong or is it somehow either impossible or much harder to feint with axes and maces? I just can't seem to get it to work. Combined with their terrible thrusting I'm having a hell of a time actually opening up my opponents.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm getting a bit tired of how parry-happy some enemies are. I ran across some random Cuman (apparently kind of a big deal judging from his fancy armour), and the entire fight boiled down to: attack -> get parried, attack -> get riposte'd, attack -> actually connect but then the next one gets parried. At that point it felt less like a fight and more like a slot machine where I put in attacks in the hopes that the game occasionally decided to let one go through. What's even the point of these fancy-pants combos if I can barely get a single attack to land, much less three in a row?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I am bad at fighting. The timing on an enemy attack is just long enough for me to hit the block button, but certainly not long enough for me to read their attack, move the mouse/stick, then press the block button. Especially when they're making a chain of attacks.

You don't have to do that, blocking is omnidirectional. Just slam the block button when the attack winds up and don't worry about your own weapon orientation.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That kind of works with a shield, but in order to block effectively, especially with just a weapon, you have to block from the corresponding attack position to get maximum deflection.

Ah yeah, that might make a difference. I've been rolling with a shield from the word go, because sabres and axes are life.

Anyhow, I've gotten up to the stealth section in the "Nest of Vipers" quest (where you scout out the bandit camp) and whoever designed that part can get hosed. "Alright, for this part we'll make the area you want to sneak into a long, narrow corridor with only one entrance at either end. It's chock-full with enemies that don't appear to need to sleep, particularly near the objects you're supposed to interact with. You can go the extra mile and get a Cuman disguise, but that will only give you a grace period of like two seconds tops."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, and there's male gaze pretty heavily in the prologue and so forth.

All told it's not good but I've played a bunch of games that were as bad or worse.

Yeah, there was also the kind of silly situation where they'll happily throw a butt-naked woman at the player, but in another quest where the whole point is some dudes going bathing you have those guys sitting in the bathtub pretty much fully clothed. Where are my historically accurate bohemian dongs, Warhorse?! :argh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of perks, the one in the Hunting skill that says "wild animals will be less skittish around you" basically translates into "wild animals will just straight give no fucks anymore". I can pretty much walk right up to random hares and deer and hit them in the head with my axe now. A right master hunter, that's me. :v:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

precision posted:

You've never had a guy riposte your riposte? Maybe my Henry just sucks. I'm not very far in the game and have shite gear.

I think we're talking about two different things here. One is a simple perfect block (with the whooshy slowmotion effect) that you follow up with a regular, manual attack. That can indeed be blocked or dodged by the opponent in turn. A riposte (which the game also calls master strike) is one step above that. It's something that can happen automatically when you land a perfect block (based on your weapon skill) and does a unique attack animation that instantly hits. Moves like catching the opponent's weapon with your shield and poking them in the face at the same time, for example. Those are, as far as I've played, completely unavoidable and perfectly safe, though of course somewhat unpredictable. They also have the added bonus of often targeting weak spots in the armour like the face of neck, at least for swords.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I ended up getting into an armed fight with them, and actually won because three of the four didn't wear helmets. Just took one or two solid bonks to the skull with an axe each. Their leader with the fancypants longsword crumpled like two seconds in from a riposte.

And then the game told me I'd just lost reputation for starting a fight. :confuoot:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Managed to beat the bandits out in the woods near the nightingales you have to try and cage for the Huntsman using my mace. Skilled it up to 2, sword at 9. I'm wondering about weapon combinations. Do I ever not want to be using a shield? I feel like I'd probably die more (somehow) without being able to block properly.

If you're using an axe, mace, or one-handed sword, there's basically no reason not to take a shield. It makes blocking much more effective and also augments some of your combos. The only exception is the longsword, which needs you to have both hands free to be able to actually use all its fancy (and fairly powerful) combos.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheAgent posted:

as you said, you can just play the game and get access to perks/stats that make the game a simple breeze. grinding dead horses just gets you there faster

the combat in this game should not be praised -- it has some interesting ideas but becomes outdated and cumbersome very quickly. hamstringing yourself to keep combat engaging is a personal testament to how broken the combat mechanics are in this game

Yeah, in effect the risk/reward mechanic is screwed up. Basically when you actually attack a guy, there are four possible outcomes:

1. You actually hit them. Fairly rare, but obviously advantageous.
2. They block you. Very common, slightly advantageous since it allows you to keep a combo going.
3. They dodge or perfect parry you. Fairly common, and slightly disadvantageous since it often opens you up for an attack that you have to perfect parry.
4. They masterstrike you. Fairly rare, obviously disadvantageous.

I don't have the hard statistics in front of me, but from personal experience it's like a 1 in 5 chance that an attack actually results in damage, and a 4 in 5 chance that you either achieve next to nothing or actively eat poo poo. There's little sense of actively engaging your opponent and taking control of the fight. You're not really given all that many tools to actively open up your opponent. There are feints, but those only seem to only marginally increase the odds of hitting. There are combos, but landing three hits in a row without getting dodged or perfect parried is a rarity. It's less like an active back-and-forth combat for life and death, and more like a slot machine where you're putting in attacks and just kinda hope the game is kind enough to let one go through once in a while. Or, more likely, you just hang back and either fish for masterstrikes or just shoot people in the face with a bow, since that's just way more effective all told.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

After a few days more playing, I'm not entirely sure if using a longsword is a good idea at all...having a shield is basically cheating with perfect blocks / masterstrokes; anything heavily armored is easier to kill with a mace; and anything not armored dies quickly enough with a 1h weapon.

By the way people, thanks for the appreciation and if anyone has any specific question about HEMA or its relation with the combat in KC:D, feel free to ask :)

That does actually make me wonder: To my understanding (which is mostly some cursory overview of the German school :v:), a fairly large amount of the surviving longsword treatises have been written in the context of unarmoured fights. So you'd have offensive techniques that, for example, culminate in just a swift rap on the head or forearms. That would obviously be quite dangerous to somebody wearing only clothes, but probably not so much to somebody with a metal helmet or vambraces. Is there much material in the Italian school that deals with fighting in/against armour, and does KC:D represent that properly, given that ingame you'll be up against armoured enemies about 90% of the time?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

dogstile posted:

Swords aren't cool tho. Axes are cool.

Want them to flesh out the other weapons.

Yeah, I've been rolling with axes for most of the game, and while they do work well, their implementation is pretty :effort:. They got the same combos as short swords and maces, and sit in an awkward middle ground, lacking both the stabbiness of the former and the raw damage of the latter. IIRC historically there were quite a few axe-specific tricks that focused on hooking the blade behind your opponent or their weapon/shield to disarm or throw them around, that would have been pretty cool to see here.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m glad the HEMA crowd likes the combat in this game but as someone totally outside if that world I kind of don’t like it at all.

Blocking and dodging are fun enough, but when it comes to trying to actually land a hit, I feel like the game isn’t giving me useful feedback as to why my attacks are either working or not, and I feel like I’m just sort of flailing and hoping.

I’ll admit this: I could just suck. I know combos exist, and I try them, but that’s not working great for me either. Usually in games I’m able to quickly learn and get better but in this one, I dunno, there’s something that feels especially obtuse. Or, I blinked and missed a very important tutorial

Nah, that's basically the major weakness of the system. Enemy defense is heavily RNG-dependent, and particularly higher-skilled enemies will happily block you all day every day. There are few reliable ways of actively opening up an enemy, so you're more or less stuck throwing out careful attacks and hoping for the best. A few things that can help is fishing for perfect parries in the hopes of triggering master cuts, taking the perk that improves your odds in clinches and triggering those (by walking into your opponent), or taking the perk that lets you charge into a guy to weaken them. Or decide to screw the high art of fencing, go into maces instead, and learn to kill dudes by just bonking them right on the head a couple of time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Palpek posted:

The thing is though that there's another way to do it: you can steal a Cuman uniform and walk around the camp freely. There's even this thing where the bandits will all swear at you for being a dirty Cuman and if you get too close to a Cuman you get a skill check dialogue to get away.

That's pretty cool mission design, right? Except that even in that Cuman outfit the moment you poison one pot or set one basket of arrows on fire (and there are 4 pots and 4 baskets) - the entire camp goes after you after 2 seconds. It doesn't matter if anybody saw you or not, it doesn't matter if you hide out of sight before those 2 seconds pass - the entire camp is in combat mode and everybody knows where you're hiding. So what's the loving point of the existance of this stealth option if the actual way it goes down consists of you running around the camp chased by psychic guards who watch you poison their food (what a diversion) or you literally wiping the entire camp out and then poisoing the food and destroying the arrows so that the dead camp is sabotaged. And this is a main mission, not some random side quest. It's completely hosed.

For me it was even worse, since I ended up coming into their camp from the Cuman side (where there's a chest with a full uniform). Over there, the disguise did exactly gently caress-all, they saw through it withing seconds if I so much as got within 10 metres of them. Since that was the only part of the camp I'd seen so far I had no reason to believe it'd be much different elsewhere, and since the fuckers apparently never need to sleep there was no way of getting in deeper. So basically all my sabotage boiled down to shooting one of them in the face, poisoning a single pot, and then running like hell.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

User posted:

Even by goon standards this is pretty dumb.

Just for reference for all the not crazy/stupid people: getting stabbed or shot through the mouth is highly likely to end in your death. On the off chance that this requires explanation, it''s because there are lots of delicate essential structures behind it, like the brain or spinal column depending on the angle.

Another thing, people have a bit of a tendency to think of a rapier as this dainty, almost harmless little thing like a modern fencing foil that will just poke a little hole somewhere. But in reality they were big and quite heavy blades, absolutely designed to murder the poo poo out of people. I mean, look at these things (mostly the left side, those on the middle-right might be classed as basket-hilted broadswords):

That's still around two centimetres of blade width at the tip. An incision that wide through, well, just about any part of your body is going to leave you in pretty bad shape, particularly before early medicine. There's not a lot of space for something that wide to go through your mouth and not hit the spine or something else that's pretty vital. And these things were definitely stiff enough to damage even bone quite severely. Now, of course, given the time it might well be that they were using smallswords rather than rapiers. But those were quite dangerous, too. They weren't much less wide than a rapier, just quite a bit shorter, and still very stiff due to the reinforcing rib along the blade:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I remember reading an article on ARMA or something referring to several accounts of someone stabbed with a rapier killing their opponent when the opponent was slowed by the thrust. Not to suggest you're wrong in general (I'd quibble with heavy since swords of almost any kind weren't particularly burdensome but I assume you mean relative to other swords)

Yeah, there were a few instances of double-kills and turnarounds like that. But even in those cases the one who was stabbed first often was in for a world of hurt because, well, deep puncture wound and no modern medicine. And yeah, "heavy" was absolutely meant relative to other swords. They don't look it, but rapiers often were about as heavy as the two-handed longswords that Henry is swinging around ingame. Not only were they long, but they also had to have a lot of weight in the handle and guard to keep the balance manageable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Don't walk through poo poo. Seriously, there are poo poo piles in the street and walking through them (or mud, I think) makes you dirtier.

It's still incredibly quick sometimes. Like, you can launder your stuff in the Rattay baths, take a walk from there to the other end of Rattay, and already have your stuff start to look dirtied again (bascinets seem particularly susceptible to this). The only way that makes sense is if Henry's primary mode of locomotion is somersaulting. Or maybe people are emptying their chamber pots on his head whenever he passes by and he's just doesn't notice. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are combos actually useful? I’ve been trying the same combo over and over on the dudes that want to kill Reeky. Inevitably what happens is me and Reeky die if I try combos but wipe the floor with them if I just block and facestab

Longswords have one or two combos that end in a face-attack. Those can be kind of useful if you're fighting against somebody without a visor who keeps blocking all your poo poo. But once you've got a high enough skill you're probably still better off just fishing for ripostes and the occasional interrupting stab.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

The combat system, while not without its flaws, is a hell of a lot more interesting and fun than skyrim's imo

It's quite cool near the beginning, but after ten or so hours I've found it really started to show its limitations. My main gripe is that while it looks complex and skill-based at first, it is at its core deeply random. Whether or not your attack connects or is blocked (or, worse, countered) always comes down to simple chance in the end, dependent on your char attributes. Most of your combos are essentially gimmicks, as the enemy will only rarely even allow you to go through 3+ attacks without interrupting you. You've got feints that are supposed to make you more likely to land a hit, but I've never really noticed that those make an appreciable difference. That creates a somewhat unfortunate dynamic that you never quite feel in control, because as the player you've got fairly little say in whether your attack will be effective or not. The fact that each attack also carries the distinct risk of suffering unavoidable damage through certain ripostes doesn't really help with that, either.

Skyrim's combat is by comparison much more shallow (and overall still probably worse), but it does have the advantage that you're generally more in control of what's going on.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Enemies should be saying it while they fight you

Anytime NPCs cannot see Henry, they should be asking "Where's Henry?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Hunting arrows with Hans' bow that I won from him.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that one had a somewhat high strength requirement (IIRC displayed near the bottom of its stat block). Perhaps you're falling short of that, leading to a penalty in damage?

quote:

Is Halberd supposed to be this OP? And if so, where can I store it?

Yes, and nowhere. Polearms are in a weird sort of half-finished state, where they only exist as pickups in the open world. They had once been intended to be a full weapon family like swords, but that got cut towards the end of development. There are mods on Nexus that restore the relevant perks and allow you to carry them in your inventory, if you feel like it. Though mind that this will probably make the other weapon types kind of redundant-