Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

everyone remembers how nixon offed himself in the oval in a captain america comic

but how many people even know that gerald ford was a psychic priest-king w an interdimensional power orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Squizzle posted:

everyone remembers how nixon offed himself in the oval in a captain america comic

but how many people even know that gerald ford was a psychic priest-king w an interdimensional power orb

Didn't everyone? How else could he have become president?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Didn't everyone? How else could he have become president?

tbh ive been kinda baffled about that for about four and a half decades

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Squizzle posted:

tbh ive been kinda baffled about that for about four and a half decades

He was speaker of the house when Spiro T. Agnew resigned due to income tax evasion

While Agnew had a sort-of progressive stance on race....um

quote:

Following the assassination of Martin Luther King on April 4, 1968, there was widespread rioting and disorder across the US.[61] The trouble reached Baltimore on April 6, and for the next three days and nights the city burned. Agnew declared a state of emergency and called out the National Guard.[62] When order was restored there were six dead, more than 4,000 were under arrest, the fire department had responded to 1,200 fires, and there had been widespread looting.[61] On April 11, Agnew summoned more than 100 moderate black leaders to the state capitol, where instead of the expected constructive dialogue he delivered a speech roundly castigating them for their failure to control more radical elements, and accused them of a cowardly retreat or even complicity.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Squizzle posted:

Why in...the KINGDOM OF GRAND RAPIDS? I mean I'm from there and I'm offended by the idea

OTOH bet he had a ROCKIN throne

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

He was speaker of the house when Spiro T. Agnew resigned due to income tax evasion

While Agnew had a sort-of progressive stance on race....um

Now you know why Nixon left him without a head during his terms as President of Earth

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Autism Sneaks posted:

Now you know why Nixon left him without a head during his terms as President of Earth

Headless body of Spiro T. Agnew never stopped being funny

I saw the end of part 1 of Star Trek Discovery last night, I was pleased by the last episode turning into one big gently caress you for Bush era ignoring the law

They did a similar thing on BSG once, but I think Trek did it better

Speaking of "it was better when Trek did it" Pener Kropoopkin agrees with me that Sisko is the most woke Starfleet captian. (The original Star Trek, whatever its flaws, had the ambition of being enormously progressive, something that I think they only got away with in network TV because "it was sci fi". Sisko, (and Avery Brooks, who I think both in his portrayal and his being vocal whenever something bothered him) were ahead of their time, and still today seem refreshingly modern.

I'm not sure who the least woke Starfleet captain is (I can make an argument it is not Kirk), but I'd say it's Season 1-2 Archer: not only was he openly racist, he was frequently insane - I think the writers created him specifically to appeal to the type of people who liked Michael Bay movies, and who associate arrogance and ignorance with "good ol' America" rather than "ugly American".

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure who the least woke Starfleet captain is (I can make an argument it is not Kirk), but I'd say it's Season 1-2 Archer: not only was he openly racist, he was frequently insane - I think the writers created him specifically to appeal to the type of people who liked Michael Bay movies, and who associate arrogance and ignorance with "good ol' America" rather than "ugly American".

Janeway by a fungus jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

star trek has always been among tv's most woke programs. it had the first interracial kiss

edit: it was born woke, even. the reason it made it to TV in the first place was because lucille ball wanted it on there

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Mar 12, 2018

• Locked thread