Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When I was using Uber I rode passenger.
I had no idea this was ever a question until it was mentioned here a while back.

Though I'm from a smaller city and don't use cabs. Oddly if I did use a cab, I'd sit in the back and think nothing of it, and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I wish they'd install dividers in their car so they can't even try to talk to me if I tell them to close the thing.

This except the car is driverless and the road is a dark frictionless tube that I can glide nude through to my destination immediately with absolutely no human interaction or other stimulation at all.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't give a poo poo about my rating, if they give me no stars for sitting in the back and not talking and ban me from the app i'll just call a real taxi. For the record the only time I did take an uber instead of a taxi I did get 5 stars and I didn't say a word aside from my destination and "thanks" at the end and sat in the back.

drat dude that's super impressive.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cabs in my city are typically 2.5x the cost of Uber so screw that noise imo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

the very first time or two i got in the front, not realizing how awkward that was. I mean it would if I thought about it but it really did just seem like I was getting into a car so I just instinctively went for it.

This is what I did and then just kept doing it.
I never even had a driver look at me twice about it.

I do feel bad for asking a lot of the "don't ask these questions", questions. Sorry, If it makes you feel better I truly couldn't have given a poo poo about the drivers answers, either.
And, it got really loving tiring of being a seemingly able-bodied male who couldn't drive to-from work a relatively long distance and needing to take Uber some days when I couldn't car pool during the state mandated time I couldn't drive after I had my last siezure, because then I'd get the general, probing "So what's up..." kind of question or felt like I had to explain that "no I'm not here because of a DUI or or something I've got this yada yada thing going on" and it invariably ended with either a soft "...oh" or "My sister has that and she fell in a pool and died! Did you die in a pool?" or some other retarded poo poo. Every loving day.

I did get to know a couple of the drivers pretty good though, there was this one dude closer to my dad's age, I live in WI, this guy had a thick as gently caress WI accent but a voice just BUILT to be on the radio or on TV, like a local radio host or pitchman and drove a bitchin, ridiculous, blue Escalade with huge rims. Hilarious fucker, too and we'd shoot the poo poo all the time, I felt bad almost when I got my license back. He'd actively watch for my request when he new I was almost done at work, toward the end of when I was using the service.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 14, 2018

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

see you get what it’s like. the real lesson here is “put some effort into it if you’re going to make conversation with a captive audience”

Dude I've worked customer service/IT desk jockey/Hotel front desk jobs for 25 loving years. I know what it's like to deal with retarded conversations. Sometimes you just need to make small talk.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

okay? i have for fifteen, are the intervening ten years going to be the magic moment where I stop getting annoyed at answering the same dead-end low effort questions

No, but at some point maybe you'll stop being a rude autistic bitch and realize asking "Hey how are ya, busy today?" is just normal human interaction even though neither party gives a poo poo.

Honestly; if having to answer "What else do you do?" and "Busy day?" annoy you? This is why you drive Uber for a living.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 14, 2018

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's not about a lack of ability, it's a lack of desire. They're doing a job for me. Do I ask the mechanic how his day is going when I take my car to him to fix it? No, I just give him the money and he fixes the car, end of story. I have actual friends, I don't want to treat some dude i'll either never see again or maybe only see once a year tops like a friend.

"Brakes."
Sir your car is not on our registered ...
"BRAKES!!!!"
Ok, we'll look at them.

*6 hours go by*
Hello sir, the brakes looked fine.
"OIL NOT DONE!!"
You asked us to check the brakes,sir.
"mmmPPPppphh""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I can sort of see his point. If you do an incredibly repetitive low level job it starts to suck when people pester you about it.

Like when you're obviously an underpaid scrub who has to do a lovely job to pay rent due to lovely life choices it blows chunks when someone asks you "What else do you do?" and im like.... "this is it..this is how I pay rent :-("

Nothing wrong with small talk about the weather though!

You're an idiot who's never done it.

• Locked thread