Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think some of you are missing some of the more symbolic themes of the film that show the black man's subconscious struggles I think it is interesting that the villain of the film is essentially an American black who talks in an American style, lived in Oakland, has a hip hop aesthetic, was a CIA creation, and has an absentee father and was abandoned by his only other father figure (the king). How many black people in America does this represent in some fashion? Last time I checked the black community had like a 70% out of wedlock birth rate. Contrast this with T'challa who has a present father figure and lives in a well rounded culture without BET or the CIA selling crack. He embraces science and technology and is much more well rounded individual. Wakanda itself basically represents the heart and soul of the black man and the events of the film are a power struggle over who will control the black man. Either an authentic embrace of civilization and science represented by the T'challa and his family, or an anti-science imperialism based on hip hop ghetto black values and the knockout game. Which in turn are pretty much constructs of slavery imperialism and the CIA.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PostNouveau posted:

The bad guy is an MIT grad :psyduck: Tony Stark's alma mater

Yeah that is the ironic part, the bad guy grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in oakland in 1992 but overcame intense structural racism to become a graduate of annapolis, MIT, and a US Navy Seal, but he still has a chip on his shoulder and believes he is victimized. Compare to T'challa who seems to have a happy loving relationship with his family and spends his free time rescuing girls captured by boko haram. Shows you the importance of having a good family life.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
People seem to be critical of my analysis. I just symbolically interpret the text. There is a lot of subconscious inner struggle of blackness in the film. And yes this film does build on racist stereotype to get at a deeper meaning. I believe the film does posit that hip hop culture is a construct of western imperailism and the CIA.

Killmonger is portrayed as a villain in a way that is right out of those very republican nightmares of the knockout game.

I might be wrong but this symbolic interpretation is built on critical theory. I don’t endorse this “racism”. Back to the future is about incest but I don’t believe this means you have to support incest to enjoy back to the future.

• Locked thread