Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just saw the movie. It was great and Killmonger was a very compelling villain.

Kurzon posted:

You don't need to spoiler this because we know this already from the comic books.

The only parallel I can think of in the real world is the Cult of the Birdman that the natives of Easter Island had before European contact. The natives held this competition where athletes would race to retrieve a bird egg from a neighboring island and present it intact to the priests. The winner's tribe would then get to manage the island's resources. It's the only example I know where power is awarded through a sporting competition.

But yeah, I actually think it's a bit insulting to think that an African kingdom would run on chimpanzee politics.

I think it's more nuanced than that. When they go around asking the tribes if they're cool with T'Challa being king, it's implied that the leaders of each one are the ones who could challenge him, not just any low-level guy, precisely because they have the support of their tribe.

This comes again when Killmonger does it: first thing he does upon returning to Wakanda is secure the support of the River people by presenting Klaue's body. Then he further cements his right to challenge by declaring he's of royal blood. And of course T'Challa had to take the challenge, because if not, that would lead to having another situation like with M'Baku's tribe, where he's also seen by the other leaders as the guy who couldn't keep the River people at his side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

temple posted:

democracy is a crap shoot at this point. but i guess people missed the whole council of tribes scenes all through out the movie

For real. I mean, U.S. elections also have fights, but with words, and it's three of them instead of just one, and the winner of each gets great support from the public. Or that was how it used to work Before Trump. :v:

Snowman_McK posted:

Okay. A guy in the Black Panther outfit was seen in the chase and arrested. A few hours later, the very public figure of King T'Challa is freed, having encountered dozens of agents in that time (including confronting Bucky in a food court). And you think that Ross is somehow the only guy that knows who he is?

I mean, I don't even remember it being a thing that Black Panther's identity is secret. I thought the thing he said he'd concealed was that he was operating in Korea.

Then again, what could they, or anyone else, do? Imprison a foreign head of state? He could claim that it was within his rights to stage an operation to capture Klaue, international criminal and murderer of Wakandans. He just so happened to do so while using Wakandan ceremonial clothes.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

Good points.

Killmonger is right in that black people everywhere have had it loving bad.

Full disclosure: I'm from Mexico, where we have a vital natural resource (Oil) administrated by the government, and when back during the New Spain period, Bartolome de las Casas argued for more black slaves to spare the native population, which was dwindling.

So I might be a bit biased in thinking that just changing who gets oppressed NOW is not a good thing.

Killmonger might seem noble, but he's advocating for racial/religious war all over the world, where even if the oppressed have Vibranium weapons, many of them will still die during the conflict, along with their oppressors. But it all will be cool in the end, because he gets to sit all safe in Wakanda, with his Vibranium suit, ruling over everyone who agrees to him being king.

And if those oppresed people think they should govern themselves? No more Vibranium weapons!

He's like the Punisher: criminals (white people) did harm to my family (people from Africa) so now I will do harm to them!

Edit 2: Which I guess it's the reason behind that shot when Killmonger walks to throne and it's all upside-down: Oppresion/Imperialism is bad, no matter who is doing it.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 19, 2018

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

eyebeem posted:

Yes, it’s BTTF ii. Just saw this with the kids, loved it. My 15 year old daughter had to tell me that the “what are those!?” Line was a vine. She thought that was an incredible thing to have in the movie, and she’s a 15 year old girl, so I guess the joke isn’t stale. I found it funny despite having no idea of its source.

Great movie.

You mean your kids still have to lace up their shoes themselves? With their fingers? I feel so bad for them, Gramps! It's 2018! Get with the times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWYx1pQKhk

Edit: Yeah, just wanted an excuse to post the video.

• Locked thread