Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, I'm not joking. If I somehow had $900 billion in personal debt, it would affect a lot of powerful people and they're going to have to pay me some walking-away money so they can step in and fix the situation. I think it would also work with $900 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Robert Facepalmer posted:

It is probably in the other CCGs thread, but wasn't someone friends with a developer on Star Wars Unlimited and they said they were front-loading the design to have like nine sets ready to go? Still think that that is upper levels knowing that there was going to be some studio closure fuckery happening, but wanted to maintain the cash flow as long as projected.

Probably me, and not friends, just terminally online. They've been honest about their timetables: Set 9 is in the planning stages (I bet Set 9 is little more than a 10 page Word doc and some photographed whiteboards right now). But Set 6 (scheduled for November 2025) is currently having all the art work done (an artist on Twitter last week mentioned that they were excited about one of their Set 2 cards being previewed, but that they couldn't wait for the Set 6 previews to start so they could show the one they're working on now. Or something to that effect). Set 4 (March 2025) is already locked at the printers, I believe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh hey I went back to look at the article again and noticed something I hadn't noticed before and it's LOL

the $900M in debt is in euros.

The capitlization/profit of the Asmodee group is in SEK, swedish krona.

1 swedish krona = 0.086 Euro

quote:

Asmodee, a global leading tabletop games publisher and distributor with an extensive studio network and IP catalogue.
Net Sales of SEK 14.8 billion and Adjusted EBIT of SEK 1.9 billion on a pro forma basis as per LTM[2] December 2023
“Coffee Stain & Friends”, a diverse gaming entity with a dual focus on indie and A/AA premium and free-to-play games for PC/console and mobile, with a high degree of recurring revenues.
Net Sales of SEK 10.9 billion, Adjusted EBIT of SEK 2.8 billion on a pro forma basis as per LTM December 2023.
“Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends”, a creative powerhouse in AAA game development and publishing for PC and console, as well as the stewards of The Lord of the Rings and Tomb Raider intellectual properties, among many others.
Net Sales SEK of 14.1 billion, Adjusted EBIT SEK 2.0 billion on a pro forma basis as per LTM December 2023.

Converting the debt to krona is easier: 900M Euros = ~10.4B SEK

Assuming an 8% interest rate (that's a huge assumption and it could easily be much lower) that's about 833M SEK interest annually
Adjusted EBIT of 1.9B means just the interest payments are ~44% of profits.

That's still... manageable, but it's big, a lot bigger than I had been thinking

also lol journalists can you use consistent units ever

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Context: Warhammer recently posted that Custodes [sic?] do/did include women, and this has caused some parts of the hobby to go full Sephiroth.

I find it very funny that these guys will try and defend 40k's depiction of Space Marines as "Real men are stoic, sexless, steroid enhanced mutants who die needlessly in service of a genocidal tyrant and are then locked into coffin tanks so they can continue to battle fruitlessly against the evil forces of violence, pestilence, lust, and intelligence for all eternity" and surely, there's no way a woman could be similarly brainwashed, mutated, and surgically implanted because of ✨Reasons✨

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like the idea that the Space Marine creation process does so much to the subject that the concept of an original gender is meaningless, and half of them have always been trans-masculine.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Leperflesh posted:

Oh hey I went back to look at the article again and noticed something I hadn't noticed before and it's LOL

the $900M in debt is in euros.

The capitlization/profit of the Asmodee group is in SEK, swedish krona.

1 swedish krona = 0.086 Euro

Converting the debt to krona is easier: 900M Euros = ~10.4B SEK

Assuming an 8% interest rate (that's a huge assumption and it could easily be much lower) that's about 833M SEK interest annually
Adjusted EBIT of 1.9B means just the interest payments are ~44% of profits.

That's still... manageable, but it's big, a lot bigger than I had been thinking

also lol journalists can you use consistent units ever

https://embracer.com/releases/asmod...embracer-group/

Furthest thing from a finance guy but it seems to be that the €900M/10.4B SEK is being taken as a loan by Asmodee to repay the existing Embracer 8B SEK loan they have that is due in Feb 2025. The new loan is then due in 18 months, so October 2025?

I suppose it buys you an extra 8 months, but the loan is called out as being ring-fenced to Asmodee with no recourse to Embracer Group which certainly seems like its being set up to be its own problem. It doesn't seem repayable, so a series of short loans whose interest eat up most of your profits to keep servicing the debt?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

No, I'm not joking. If I somehow had $900 billion in personal debt, it would affect a lot of powerful people and they're going to have to pay me some walking-away money so they can step in and fix the situation. I think it would also work with $900 million.

If you owe the bank 1 million dollars that's a you problem.

If you owe the bank 900 million dollars that's the bank's problem.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

HidaO-Win posted:

Furthest thing from a finance guy but it seems to be that the €900M/10.4B SEK is being taken as a loan by Asmodee to repay the existing Embracer 8B SEK loan they have that is due in Feb 2025. The new loan is then due in 18 months, so October 2025?

I suppose it buys you an extra 8 months, but the loan is called out as being ring-fenced to Asmodee with no recourse to Embracer Group which certainly seems like its being set up to be its own problem. It doesn't seem repayable, so a series of short loans whose interest eat up most of your profits to keep servicing the debt?

I mean, basically, yes. The main reason the debt will leave with the Asmodee Spinoff is because if the debt defaults at any point, the creditors get Asmodee's assets that were used to secure the loan. I don't know how that works with a publisher group, because there's degrees of intangibles involved (Are the IPs being included? Is it physical assets only?), but yeah, it's likely going to be something that either gets chipped away at much slower than it should, or is just being set up for another buyout somewhere else down the line.

Especially since Embracer is saying they're going to get proceeds from some of the other divestments, I imagine this isn't completely shameless capitalism to prop up what's left, just mostly shameless capitalism.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

This was literally what the WeWork CEO did.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ravus Ursus posted:

If I owe anyone 1m dollars that is def their problem!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SimonChris posted:

This was literally what the WeWork CEO did.
If I remember right, $900 million was the value of the line of credit some bank gave him against the expected value of his stock, and in the crash he walked away with more than a billion. It's amazing what you can accomplish in life just by lying to people.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ravus Ursus posted:

If you owe the bank 900 billion dollars that's

I guess either you die or some arrows get drawn on some maps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

Companies have a lot of options for raising capital, including to pay debt. One option is to sell more shares of yourself, diluting your shareholders. This is usually considered a Bad Sign. But it's something you can do if no bank will refinance your debt or offer you terms etc.

The short-term nature of the new loan is likely due to the very significant risks involved in this split. If Asmodee come out of the split and demonstrate a few quarters of ongoing profitability, it may be they can access cheaper debt or longer-term debt. Perhaps issue some bonds for example.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
They only split up the companies to do kill the one loaded with debt.

Hell I presume they can pick up the IP from the dead rotting carcass afterwards in an auction.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Comstar posted:

They only split up the companies to do kill the one loaded with debt.

Hell I presume they can pick up the IP from the dead rotting carcass afterwards in an auction.

I mean... no. It's correct to be cynical and gently caress Embracer and all that, but debtors don't just let you refinance all your debt into a corpse because "lol." Their debtors expect the independent Asmodee to be viable enough to make them back that money.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

admanb posted:

I mean... no. It's correct to be cynical and gently caress Embracer and all that, but debtors don't just let you refinance all your debt into a corpse because "lol." Their debtors expect the independent Asmodee to be viable enough to make them back that money.

I probably wouldn't go that far, but even as a financial layman this isn't a Toys R Us situation. This is Embracer Group eating as many companies as they could and spending the next three years choking on them. Asmodee got the debt because Embracer hosed up royally and they were the biggest coherent company they could split off in this reorganization. What else were they going to do, throw this on one of the video game companies before they have an actual name?

The annoying thing about Embracer Group is how it did absolutely nothing positive. Just a constant sense of "the one good thing you could do was pour money into something cool, and you couldn't even do that right".

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I probably wouldn't go that far, but even as a financial layman this isn't a Toys R Us situation. This is Embracer Group eating as many companies as they could and spending the next three years choking on them. Asmodee got the debt because Embracer hosed up royally and they were the biggest coherent company they could split off in this reorganization. What else were they going to do, throw this on one of the video game companies before they have an actual name?

The annoying thing about Embracer Group is how it did absolutely nothing positive. Just a constant sense of "the one good thing you could do was pour money into something cool, and you couldn't even do that right".

I agree with all of this. I just don't draw "Asmodee is a dead corp walking" as a conclusion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For comparison, Hasbro, a company that is still viable albeit in some trouble, as of Dec 31st had US $6.5B in assets including $545M in cash and $1B in receivables, $5.4B in liabilities including $1.3B in payables $500M in short-term debt and $3B in long term debt. In 2023 it had $5B in sales and gross profit of $2.8B but with a $1.7B impairment and other charges (one-time costs, supposedly) and $2.7B in ordinary operating expenses for a reported EBIT of -1.5B and EBITDA of -863M.

In other words the company took a significant loss, and is carrying at least $3.5B in debt against $5B in gross sales. As we have seen it is slashing operating costs and this will definitely cost revenues but might bring it back into profitability, but it'll likely be carrying most or all of that $3.5B in debt forward. It's still trading as of close today at over $54 a share, with a market capitalization of $8B. This indicates that investors believe it'll be profitable, and Hasbro could easily raise money by taking on more debt if it needed to.

Hasbro is due to report first quarter earnings tomorrow, so we'll get another look at how its doing and its projections. In the meantime, you can see that a company like Hasbro is considered impaired, but certainly not hopeless, by the market.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If you owe the bank 900 billion dollars that's

I guess either you die or some arrows get drawn on some maps.

If you owe the bank 900 billion dollars the government has a problem.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hasbro is up this morning after reporting an earnings beat.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hasbro-shares-rise-first-quarter-133646042.html

quote:

The Pawtucket, Rhode Island-based company reported adjusted earnings per share of 61 cents compared with the 27-cent average of estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Revenue was $757.3 million, more than the $738.5 million analysts forecast.
Hasbro announced plans to slash about 20% of its staff in late 2023, blaming slumping sales of toys and games in the crucial holiday season. Cynthia Williams, president of Hasbro’s Wizards of the Coast and gaming division, resigned last week, leaving an opening atop a growing part of the toy company.

Revenue at the division increased 7% in the first quarter, driven by an increase in digital licensing behind Baldur’s Gate 3 and Monopoly Go!

shares are currently trading up about 11% at $64.73

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Context: Warhammer recently posted that Custodes [sic?] do/did include women, and this has caused some parts of the hobby to go full Sephiroth.

I do like that this dong decided that the "woke" are Horus's followers who hosed off into a realm of pure imagination where they're busy freebasing elf souls and loving boob snakes while he and his ilk are the miserable sad sacks purging each other to hold together a crumbling fascist institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

I do like that this dong decided that the "woke" are Horus's followers who hosed off into a realm of pure imagination where they're busy freebasing elf souls and loving boob snakes while he and his ilk are the miserable sad sacks purging each other to hold together a crumbling fascist institution.

“Woke is when your fascism has women in it” is “more female prison guards” for the far-right.