Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Wilson should have let Europe grind down to a stalemate. Instead he decided to charge in, jailed anyone who disagreed, and then set the stage for Britain and France to completely ream out the Germans. Oh, I think he also sent troops into Russia.

He said some nice things about "self-determination", but he's a motherfucker and a heinous racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Spangly A posted:

So your choice is either France utterly destroys Germany in revenge in around 1919 (and becomes an aggressive superpower in a short time) or the red guards hijack the anti-war movement and general unrest in Germany, which has a communist revolution and surrenders sometime in late 1918, provoking major political unrest in Britain and possibly open warfare (as well as an immediate begging of US aid for what would likely be a very bad deal).

It's been a long time since I did any WW1 reading but I thought before the US entered it was looking like both sides were more or less exhausted and unable to achieve any breakouts, thus without US entry Britain and France wouldn't have been able to put Germany's nuts in a vice for reparations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alter Ego posted:

I might do Boy George next. After reading Jean Edward Smith's biography of him, I'm convinced that we need a refresher course in why George W. Bush is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and a war criminal.

Yes, definitely. I'm very much enjoying your posts!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

axeil posted:

Jimmy Carter :colbert:

Didn't Jimmy Carter agree to send arms to Afghanistan for basically the sole purpose of bleeding out the Soviets?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At this point there is quite a lot of crossover between alt-right and militant atheist.

Not a surprise given how militant atheists are usually huge assholes anyway.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'd be interested in a Ulysses S. Grant effortpost, if anyone's taking requests.

Agreed!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Harding. More opportunity to shed light on a less-known president.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DC Murderverse posted:

11/10/81
President Reagan elicits hoots of laughter at his fifth press conference when he says of his constantly feuding aides, "There is no bickering or backstabbing going on. We're a very happy group." As he leaves, Lesley Stahl holds up a copy of the just-out Atlantic Monthly featuring William Greider's article "The Education of David Stockman," in which the chatty Budget Director:
*Admits, "None of us really understands what's going on with all these numbers"
*Acknowledges that supply-side economics "was always a Trojan horse to bring down the top rate"
*Says of the Reagan tax bill, "Do you realize the greed that came to the forefront? The hogs were really feeding."
Was the President aware of this article? He was not.”

:stare:

This is the article if anyone else wants to read:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/12/the-education-of-david-stockman/305760/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

axeil posted:

Basically, if y'all are interested in a history of the FDIC as told from someone who worked there during the financial crisis...let me know and I'll :justpost: here.

Yes, absolutely, please do!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I vote Harrison.

Whenever the topic of replacing Andy Jackson on the $20 comes up, I can't help but point out that he would probably have been infinitely horrified to learn that his portrait adorns one of the most common banknotes of the biggest central bank in human history. (Don't get me wrong, I have no problem replacing him.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Eisenhower. Everyone know's Nixon's a dick, but there's some good opportunity for edification about the shortcomings of an otherwise oft-revered president.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Android Apocalypse posted:

Of all the idiots Donnie appointed, Mattix is the lone “sane” person. The fact he pushed back against the transgender ban shows he’s not a total buffoon, and that’s a low bar to step over.

Secretary of Defense is also the one position in that cabinet I'm willing to give a shred of benefit of the doubt to for someone willingly signing on, since if someone came to me and said "okay you're gonna go down in history as having worked with president cheeto-face, but if he goes crazy and tries to order a nuclear first strike you might have a chance at stopping it" I'd probably take a big double-shot of whiskey and sign the paperwork.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HootTheOwl posted:

You have entered the door to the west. The pungent stench of urine emanates for the wet oval walls.
There is a desk standing resolute in front of you, the resolute desk. There are too levers, one labeled "Gas Price" and one labeled "Economy".

What do you do?

Stick my tongue out as I manically pump both levers back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I like him; D&D hates him. That's a recipe for disaster. W and Ronnie, by contrast, are a) long enough ago that maybe not everyone remembers everything from their time in office and b) universally hated.

I personally hold a lot of anger myself for the presidency of Barack Obama, but I still think you should eventually write him up. The worst the goons can do is shout at you.

That said, I'm much looking forward to the Ford write-up.