Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Taft also went on to be a Supreme Court Justice. He probably had the most productive post-Presidency of anyone, even Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Back to Carter because he's much more interesting than Arthur, in his Presidential Library he has a whole section dedicated to his family and Billy Carter is completely omitted. Maybe there's a footnote somewhere, but I couldn't find it. There's some sour feelings there.

He still does Sunday school most weeks at his church in Plains, GA. It's an odd situation, because Plains is literally in the middle of no where. On the Sundays he speaks there are about 400 people attending. When he's not...about 27.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but apparently he gets pissed if you call him Jimmy. We were told to refer to him as Mister or President Carter because only his friends call him Jimmy. The pointed implication being we aren’t friends.

He also had a falling out with Southern Baptists almost 20 years ago and still managed to make a snide remarks out them at the service I attended. He even managed a snipe at Reagan. Man holds a grudge.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

ehh lincoln would certainly have followed through with reconstruction in a big way but i dont think there was a political will on behalf of northern whites to really end racial oppression vs. just putting treasonous southern elites in their place. i mean, would non-headshot lincoln have hanged confederate generals or pardoned them?

It would have made the South better and would have been a definite improvement over what we ended up with, but that may have negatively impacted racism in the North. No Jim Crow means no Great Migration which makes the North is even more White and segregated. When migration eventually did occur for primarily economic reasons rather than fear, you would have probably seen an even worse reception than what happened in the Lincoln gets shot timeline.

Still, better than what we got.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

the great migration would have happened anyway because the need for labor in northern cities would have still existed regardless of a variance in southern institutional racism. southern cities generally didn't really start kicking off until federal government intervention in the early/mid 20th century, so if you were a black american tired of sharecropping and ag work there wasn't many options in the south

True, I was probably overstating the fear part and understating the economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tony Gunk posted:

What we did--getting companies like Ford and BMW to stop making cars and start making tanks and planes--was just completely unprecedented. The entire country put itself on a war footing for almost four years. You guys have to understand that in order to contextualize all the other stuff I’m about to tell you.

139 cars were built during WWII. Which is mind-boggling. I guess those were for VIP's or maybe just to make sure everyone still knew how to build a regular automobile. Granted jeeps and vans and trucks were built in the 10's of thousands, but only 139 cars for consumer use.

And then you have M1's carbines built by IBM.