Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually doubt either of Chris or Dom is going to be the merge boot, there are too many factors here (Dom's legacy/idol, Chris having a decent shot at immunity). It might just hit one of the waysiders like Angela or Desiree.

i feel like my favourite Wendell is a good candidate for a merge boot.

i really hope the Chris vs Dom war lasts more than an episode, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, he's in a great position right now, or seems to be. Seems well liked and influential enough to get stuff down but low enough on the target list that he can hide behind the bigger threats. Who knows how that will last? We've seen plenty of players overplay their hands from that position, get too cute, or expose themselves. But right now he seems like he's in a good spot.

Laurel and Donathan also seem like they're in a similar place.

this is good news for the rest of the season. they are three of the ones i like! them plus michael would be a good final four for me

i'd be happy to see chelsea go, as well as chris and dom in mutual blazes of glory. libby's a bit of a wildcard; i can't tell if her manipulation skills have been overhyped or not, but everyone seems to treat her as this threat because she's.... hot i guess?

seabass i want to keep around because he seems to give vaguely anti-survivor talking heads and seems like a cool funny guy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Then again its possible that's mostly Domenick and his mouth and Morgan who is gone. So maybe she can survive if Domenick goes or doesn't have a ton of influence. But he seems generally well liked and trusted.

dom's in a good position because he seems to radiate comradery with most of the people he works with. you get the impression from him that it's nothing personal, he's just in it to win it. the gift of making people feel okay that you are getting lied to is pretty crucial, i think it's what people mean when they say "social game". dom's brief interaction with laurel after the big morgan vote was telling. she knew he was full of poo poo, but would still rather play the game with him than someone else. i think it's potentially dom's biggest asset.

meanwhile chris' biggest asset is literally every muscle in his body. loving god drat dude is a terminator when it comes to challenges

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is looking like a dumb idol/advantage rules lawyer Jeff tribal.

i'm surprised and thankful that with all the stupid advantages this season it hasn't happened sooner, but yeah this has the potential to suck

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

Everyone is going to play an idol except 1 person again

SMELL YA LATER, SMELLYN

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

That ponderosa video also ends with a rap video Chris wrote about his Survivor experience. I had to turn it off, but I guess it's out there in the world now.

Wendell Was Right

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Chris is a terrible rapper but I love his pantomiming.

I thought the 50/50 game was a stupid risk and then Chris completely blew it. Cursed idols are real.

curses are real but stupidity is forever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think Wendell's vote speech shook Chris to his core and given what he was like on the show, that hasnt happened before

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there are a lot of moving parts but they did a good job setting up most of these personalities for us to understand them a bit after merge. like aside from chelsea and maybe jenna most of them have already had enough screentime that it could be a delight

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i mean theres approximately one million twists currently in play so there are bound to be some upsets along the way, for better or worse. i cant see anyone coasting to an easy win at this point, even dom

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Chris made the latest episode of The Joel McHale Show Starring Joel McHale on Netflix.

i think that's his second appearance; he also got the nod for the word 'benficiary' a while ago

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Wendell Was Right

also calling it now: Chris will one hundred thousand percent rap at the reunion

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i actually like Chris a lot, i bet he'd be super duper fun to hang out with for a night on the town. he doesn't seem mean-spirited towards anybody else, he doesn't want anyone else to suffer, he just believes he is the best and everything in the universe seems to help back him up on that notion

that said, if he were to rap at me in real life i would cheerfully boo him into oblivion

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

good episode. i am pretty amazed how quickly dom and wendell have been able to integrate themselves back into the background; wendell in particular is playing an excellent social game.

michael needs to start exploiting the power couples a bit. there's definitely a bit of wiggle room with laurel and donathon to oust wendell and dom.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thank You Wendell

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what about dark horse, helicopter-ride loving, seafood connoisseur SEABASS

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the main thing she did was make it un-fun for people to participate in the lie with her. shouting at folks and interrupting them? man, even if you're in the alliance with that person, you'll want them gone.

once Laurel sold her out, the best thing she could've done was act playfully own it, kind of act coy about it, and immediately go into full damage control to try and deflect the bullet headed her way. she could have done something with Kellyn's weird blind faith in her, especially if she owned that she wanted to go after Wendell and Dom rather than Kellyn.

she had great intentions to play the game; Laurel snitching her out was bad, but not a total disaster. the disaster was totally failing to adapt to the situation unfolding in front of her - which is kind of hilarious, because she's the one that got the ball rolling.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sweet baby michael i hope your beautiful lying pans out

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jacob: The Wrongest Ever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"guess i may as well just send myself home"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm guessing they just wanted you to like her because likable or interesting characters are usually beneficial to getting people to watch a TV show.

this is a good and true theory, but i think most of the time the survivor editors sit around in a room pulling names out of a hat deciding who they're going to focus on for the season

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gently caress, which member of my parliament to i need to petition to ensure that toad doesn't get off the plane

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zesty posted:

That's really pathetic for all involved.

it's a very, very australian tv channel thing to do

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe he can threepete it and lose again at the end.

I could believe the rumor though. Would be a good way to get people talking about Survivor Australia and might even lead into a crossover between the US, Aussie, and Kiwi survivors?

THREE TRIBES
A MILLION DIFFERENT WAYS OF SAYING "AUNT"
ONE SOLE SURVIVOR

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Now if they start using drones to drop idols, then maybe :P

don't give their production team ideas

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JaneError posted:

Sebastian seemed, uh, real attached to his sister.

still nothing on Kat and her cousin

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Laurel is not on board with this at all.

laurel seems to be really eager to snatch up that third place

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

two challenge wins, still got an idol, plus his weird fake advantage that seems pretty useless.... dom's a lock for f3 right?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just massive lols at every decision, week after week

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly, she didn't need too just yet. Laurel and Donathan are still theoretically just as powerful as Dom/Wendall. Just gotta collect up the random Survivors not in the pairs.

theoretically they are, but both Dom and Wendell still have idols. they know Wendell has one, they don't know Dom does. in reality, i can't see this working out for anybody except Dom and Wendell.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yup. Four confessionals across eleven hours. I don't know if that's better or worse than JP last season.

JP got five, i think. chelsea's is a new record low.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if kellyn is not a super bitter jury member i will be very surprised

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not really sure why you're equating this though. By all accounts, Dom and Wendell are winner threats. Nobody ever bothered to target Russell because everybody knew he could not win.

certainly true of Samoa, but Sandra gunned for Russel for basically the last two-thirds of Heroes and Villains and then just said "haha gently caress it, guess i'll enjoy a casual million bucks" once all the flop heroes were out. i think some winners make it look a lot easier because their social games are excellent. Wendell is definitely among 'em - in tribal he is constantly already doing huge jury maintenance - whereas Dom has shown a bit more sweat and work thanks to Chris earlier in the season.

also, i went on a rant about this the other day, but the Survivor editors are kind of bad these days i guess? you'd think after more than 30 seasons they'd find a way to make a goat character interesting for TV as a human being.

but unless they're a full-on crazy person like Phil Shepherd, they don't seem to know how to present them. they used to do a better job of that, whereas now it's all strategy. this isn't chess, this is people slowly getting hungry and hating one another on an island for a million bucks. bah!!!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

wanna bet it's been going on long enough that the current crop are mostly gamebot fans that wouldn't even understand your complaint

yeah i know. drat kids, keep off my lawn, etc etc. i am just a crotchety geezer. it feels like this season had a lot of potential pre-merge and then dropped entirely once chris noble was gone. drat that was a good episode, though

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I'd love an episode where Tribal Council is in the middle or even at the start and totally unexpected crazy poo poo happens and then they go back and show previous events to explain the surprise.

I don't know if it would really work, but it'd be something different and at worst ruin one episode

one of my favourite game shows, this korean show called THE GENIUS, frequently uses this approach. the second episode opens with an odd moment where a contestant writes and signs a contract promising to do something for another contestant. you dont know when this pact occurs, or who wrote the contract, and for the rest of the episode this strange pact is hanging over the plot like a bomb waiting to go off.

it's weird - and it would be very weird in survivor after 35 season of pretty static editing - but it makes for fantastic compelling viewing. i would love a season where the editors get to go truly bananas and chop poo poo up to make an insane fever dream.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also those two i think would respect the move; i find it hard to see them as bitter jurors

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

I hope his island nickname is Schneebly.

i hope he votes someone out with "you're tacky and i hate you"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

I didn't really perceive Wendell's reaction as a lash out. He gained sympathy from Laurel, anyway, and I think that will save him tonight

laurel's utter stupidity will save him tonight

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

The reason why the US version steered away from pure social survival is because it's well-recognized after 36 seasons that being well-liked or being a strong social player puts a target on your back post-merge. Without idols and advantages added to the game dynamic, the bridge trolls would systematically take out the likable players until there's an all-goat FTC.
The way to manage this is to cast less goats, but there will always be some sort of social hierarchy regardless of how socially competent a cast is as a whole.
Australia would probably be at that point too, if they had 30+ seasons under their belt

the real solution here is for the editors to find a way to make goats compelling - or at least funny and interesting. give us their goofy talking heads! show them doing whatever it is they're doing instead of participating in strategy!

jenna at ponderosa turned out to be hilarious. so too Haley the big lawyer patriot from a few seasons ago. these guys have personalities that aren't tied up in the big strategy game. like, how do these guys pass 20+ days on an island without doing something at least tangentially interesting?

the idea that people on this show are reduced to their level of strategic contribution is the worst thing about the last 16 seasons really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't think it's all or nothing between survival stuff and game strategy, at all. and i certainly don't want a "pure" game of survivor, whatever that is - by and large, i agree hidden immunity idols and tribe swaps have given the show its longevity.

i just want to see the different castaway perspectives - like, what the hell do we even know about chelsea from her edit?

really, when the audience complains about a 'bitter jury', the problem is mainly that we haven't actually seen the jury's perspective clearly. the editors favour big strategic moves, or immunity challenge upsets, because it provides good tribal councils and big gasps. but they've also started confusing that with "the audience should root for the people that are making these moves". that's fine for us at home on the couch, but i don't think that's a reasonable expectation of the human beings playing the game.

juries don't make their decisions in a vacuum: it's influenced by what happens on the island, the relationships they build, the day-to-day bonding they have - or don't have - with their tribemates. tribal council is just the tip of the iceberg. big caveat i guess: in some cases it's kind of impossible to tell what juries are gonna do, because of their time together on ponderosa as well as potentially compelling final tribal council speeches.

anywho i mean, i'm gonna keep watching the show because it's good fun. i just wish we got to know the cast better!

• Locked thread