Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uber_stoat posted:

feel empty, spend money, dopamine hit, hit fades, feel empty...

THANKS STEAM
oh it's findom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

oh it's findom

i've been findommed by gabe newell, jesus loving christ.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

And Tyler Too! posted:

If this game didn't have mod support I'd have bailed forever ago. It's near-Bethesda levels of relying on the players to actually finish developing the game.

I've not played Bethesda games since Morrowind, but to my understanding they still all have a plot, overarching goals, and an endgame. Stellaris literally removed win conditions, so in terms of 'unfinished product' it sits somewhere around Rage, except of course Rage was actually fun.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I find myself voting "No" on all the galactic community resolutions. They seem weird and hard to evaluate.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dick Trauma posted:

I find myself voting "No" on all the galactic community resolutions. They seem weird and hard to evaluate.

Some are quite counter-productive for what they're supposed to do. Take the "mutual defense" chain of resolutions starting with "the readied shield". The idea of it is that it encourages naval build-up and grants greater diplomatic weight to empires with strong fleets. The diplomatic weight bit works fine, and they give a small, flat naval capacity bonus, from 10 to 50 points, which is a fair bit in the early game but a drop in the ocean in the late game.

The problem is, they also add a ship upkeep penalty, from 5% to 25% - which is nothing in the early game but a big penalty in the late game. It means that if you want a big fleet, you should vote against this policy.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The purpose of the mutual defense chain, like most others in the GC which is a whole other kettle of fish, isn't to benefit people. It's to create gotchas that you use to administer sanctions on nations you don't like. Or nations you do like. Or really, anybody but you. The best part of the GC is running everybody but the die-hards out because it's maximum sanctions in all areas on literally everyone except the player. Rogue Servitors are really good for this due to the level 5 Greater Good law ruining everybody but you and maybe the one fanatical egalitarian that's survived the hellpit because the game loves to fill the galaxy with empires of opposing inclination. A good war with the Mutual Defense chain in place and you can knock over them too.

edit; and of course the AI hasn't been programmed to be able to reform to be inside galactic law because that'd be AI coding and the Stellaris devs are allergic to that.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I played Stellaris a lot and enjoyed it well enough, but it really does feel half-baked. I would love to know how many different directions it got pulled in during development, because a lot of the systems feel like they were Frankensteined from “Europa Universalis in Space” “Victoria In Space” and “standard space 4X”. It just doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If it's against the GC to purge pops you get sanctions, until the forced relocation (or genocide?) is finished and everything is instantly back to harmonious. It's kinda annoying how if it's illegal to have basic subsistence for pops you can just do it anyway but when the AI inevitably votes through more expensive ship upkeep and lowered habitability there is no way to violate those. Voting is mostly pointless and doesn't matter because the majority of the time 90% of the AI's all vote for the same thing anyway.

The edict to make pops move by themselves might as well not exist if the AI's don't want to vote for worker benefits stuff. It's also bizarre how egalitarians who care about free movement are the only ones who can't have pops move between planets (unless they get lucky with the edict in the late game). But if pops did that on their own from the start it'd probably make the game turn into a lethargic snail even earlier. I can't even get to the crisis because after a certain point time is too slow and there's a high chance of the entire game freezing for seconds every first of january.

Now excuse me as I go grumble in a corner.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

It's actually really easy to evaluate them! Just think "What would my space people do?" and then take whatever option would make more sense to them, consequences be damned.

In practice, this means I tend to make 1-2 empires really angry because I keep telling them "gently caress off, space clowns", while in general, my empires are going "Hell, YES!!!", to 90% of resolutions, even if it hurts us. Because it would make sense for the people living in that empire to do that!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gort posted:

Some are quite counter-productive for what they're supposed to do. Take the "mutual defense" chain of resolutions starting with "the readied shield". The idea of it is that it encourages naval build-up and grants greater diplomatic weight to empires with strong fleets. The diplomatic weight bit works fine, and they give a small, flat naval capacity bonus, from 10 to 50 points, which is a fair bit in the early game but a drop in the ocean in the late game.

The problem is, they also add a ship upkeep penalty, from 5% to 25% - which is nothing in the early game but a big penalty in the late game. It means that if you want a big fleet, you should vote against this policy.

Too many of the policies are simply 'would you like a penalty y/n?' and the computer loves to vote yes every time it can for it.

edit : i just figured it all out now. the policies all have great sounding names but actually suck poo poo most of the time, so whomever wrote them did it like they studied gop law making.

ded fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 20, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ded posted:

Too many of the policies are simply 'would you like a penalty y/n?' and the computer loves to vote yes every time it can for it.

edit : i just figured it all out now. the policies all have great sounding names but actually suck poo poo most of the time, so whomever wrote them did it like they studied gop law making.

A lot of them end up being good in ways that they weren't intended to.

Like the trade policy is amazing for robots. You can cripple everyone else while suffering no drawback. The industrial one is a straight upgrade for them, even.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Part of me was hankering to maybe try Stellaris again so I read the last few pages of this thread and remembered why I stopped playing. The whole "maybe this DLC will finally fix the game" chain for years was a depressing ride.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Part of me was hankering to maybe try Stellaris again so I read the last few pages of this thread and remembered why I stopped playing. The whole "maybe this DLC will finally fix the game" chain for years was a depressing ride.

This is me every few weeks.

I'm trying my level best to like Stellaris, and on some levels I even do, but actually playing the game just depresses me. There's rarily a moment where I wish "this mechanic should be different/better/more fleshed out" and no new dlc ever changes anything because they're shallow just like the rest of the game.

And unfortunately at this point even mods can't fix most of it.

I really hope there'll be a Stellaris 2 at some point though. One that actually improves the game, that is.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully one that brings back warp.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

Hopefully one that brings back warp.

Why bring back the worst one, tho?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If we're getting space 4X sequels, can we have ones of good titles? SoaSE, or maybe even the older stuff like Galciv or whatnot. Why do the DLC treadmill again for a title that was never good enough?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

If we're getting space 4X sequels, can we have ones of good titles? SoaSE, or maybe even the older stuff like Galciv or whatnot. Why do the DLC treadmill again for a title that was never good enough?

Because Stellaris is, honestly unique in some ways. And has a lot of potential that was never fully explored.

But then again, this is Paradox we're talking about and shallow DLCs is kind of what they do so you may be right.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

[...] bring back the best one, imho

I agree!

Back in the early days, I could never really get warm with wormhole stations, and hyperdrive was just "this thing that was almost as nice as warp" in my mind.

Besides, entire games like Distant Worlds are build around warp drive like systems, so I was always really confused about all the odd complaints people had about warp. It's not like it can't be done!

And I really enjoyed both the challenge of defending myself against enemies warp driving past my border and doing the same thing when I circumvented fortifications by just flying past them. Alas, if I want that specific kind of game again I have to go back and fire up Distant Worlds. :shrug:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

I agree!

Back in the early days, I could never really get warm with wormhole stations, and hyperdrive was just "this thing that was almost as nice as warp" in my mind.

Besides, entire games like Distant Worlds are build around warp drive like systems, so I was always really confused about all the odd complaints people had about warp. It's not like it can't be done!

And I really enjoyed both the challenge of defending myself against enemies warp driving past my border and doing the same thing when I circumvented fortifications by just flying past them. Alas, if I want that specific kind of game again I have to go back and fire up Distant Worlds. :shrug:

Warp was bad in stellaris specifically. For you, the player it was fine, but everyone else also having it made hyperlanes entirely worthless. And unlike Wormholes, you also couldn't target anything to slow them down or block them completely.

Functionally that meant that you'd have to do a benny hills chase for EVERY SINGLE FLEET that showed up, which could take forever depending on technology if they didn't just disappear from your radar. If I remember correctly that was also the time where the AI loved sending single corvettes EVERYWHERE, and base stations had trouble dealing with them sometimes.

I.E. the fact that it was entirely unrestricted is makes it bad because there was no space terrain with it. If you can just circumvent fortifications, then what the hell is the point of fortifications?

If anything should come back, it should be wormhole as a predecessor tech to jump drive or something, imo.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 21, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yami Fenrir posted:

that was also the time where the AI loved sending single corvettes EVERYWHERE, and base stations had trouble dealing with them sometimes.

There was no concept of a base station then, they would just blow up your mining platforms.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There was no concept of a base station then, they would just blow up your mining platforms.

Right.

So that was even more annoying back then.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

Warp was bad in stellaris specifically. For you, the player it was fine, but everyone else also having it made hyperlanes entirely worthless. And unlike Wormholes, you also couldn't target anything to slow them down or block them completely.

Functionally that meant that you'd have to do a benny hills chase for EVERY SINGLE FLEET that showed up, which could take forever depending on technology if they didn't just disappear from your radar. If I remember correctly that was also the time where the AI loved sending single corvettes EVERYWHERE, and base stations had trouble dealing with them sometimes.

I.E. the fact that it was entirely unrestricted is makes it bad because there was no space terrain with it. If you can just circumvent fortifications, then what the hell is the point of fortifications?

If anything should come back, it should be wormhole as a predecessor tech to jump drive or something, imo.

I was mainly a warp player, but I never had these problems.

I even remember giving tips about how to properly play warp drive games, but back then people just continued complaining without engaging my posts, it was exhausting.

At some point after warp death I accepted that Stellaris isn't getting warp drives back and got finally off my rear end to finish my Distant Worlds portrait mod and played that game instead when I got the mood for warp.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

Because Stellaris is, honestly unique in some ways. And has a lot of potential that was never fully explored.

But then again, this is Paradox we're talking about and shallow DLCs is kind of what they do so you may be right.

The main thing that makes Stellaris unique is the thing that all Paradox games do, where it's less about a "win condition" and more of a strategy sandbox. I think that's why the features being so shallow feels frustrating - it's not like it's any less complex than other 4X games; it's basically on par with civ. The problem is that as a sandbox you want more depth than average because the point is to get lost in the minutae and really feel like you're trying to run an empire rather than just moving pieces around on a board to "win the game".

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Wormholes were a finicky mess and warp drives completely obviated any concept of strategic defense. Getting rid of them was probably the best (and most well-received) overhaul Stellaris ever made and I'm kind of surprised anyone is still pining for the bad FTL types.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

When did that FTL shift happen? Because I remember buying the game shortly before they switched everything to hyperlines. Then I put it down because I got ganked by a wormhole and when I came back I liked it a lot more.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It would be neat if there were a few competing end game movement options, and the game ran off a tech system that made mutually exclusive tech progression viable. So everyone starts off with hyperlanes, but some people also have jump drive and others can launch fleets across the galaxy using special starbase modules and others can generate wormholes that stay stable for a year or two.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You are describing Sword of the Stars. Unfortunately you need to lock down the races to make that work without massive balance issues.

And it's what Paradox should have done - more interesting races with less customization is better than a homogenous mass of races that mostly play identically with minor percentage differences.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

You are describing Sword of the Stars. Unfortunately you need to lock down the races to make that work without massive balance issues.
LATE game tech. Like at the moment we have hyperlanes, and eventually you unlock jump drives to somewhat ignore terrain. But instead of jump drives you could choose to unlock a different terrain bypasser. This limits the amount of species balancing you need to do because early and early mid game everyone is on the same playing field and even when you do unlock your special movement method you still have good old hyperlanes for your day to day.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Wormholes were a finicky mess and warp drives completely obviated any concept of strategic defense. Getting rid of them was probably the best (and most well-received) overhaul Stellaris ever made and I'm kind of surprised anyone is still pining for the bad FTL types.

Yeah it's almost impressive how much warp drive hurt the strategy aspect of the game and getting rid of it was one of the unequivocally good decisions made in the constant tinkering with the game's core mechanics over the years. Warp drive itself was just plain bad game design and I'm surprised to see anybody miss it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

everybody's talking about warp but wormhole was the really broken one

with a little bit of prep time you could easily raid deep into an enemy empire without them even being able to respond at all

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I want warp back solely for the sake of the star trek mod, tbh

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the problem with both warp and wormhole is that they basically destroyed any sense of "defensive terrain". There was no way to create choke points when two of the three travel methods could just ignore them, so it turned every war into just playing fleet whack a mole.

CainsDescendant posted:

I want warp back solely for the sake of the star trek mod, tbh

Was it removed from the code entirely? I would have thought that they just removed the scripting that used it and it could be reactivated by mods.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I mean, it should be there right? It's basically just a lovely jump drive.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IIRC the Star Trek mod gets around it by just bumping the hyperlane density way, way up and making the hyperlanes invisible. The net effect is basically the same.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Last I played New Horizons, they had just cranked up the system connections and turned off the hyperlane lines which is pretty lame. Maybe they could hack something better together out of jump drives, but I'm pretty sure any remnants of warp code in the game isn't usable or else they'd be going with that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the problem with both warp and wormhole is that they basically destroyed any sense of "defensive terrain". There was no way to create choke points when two of the three travel methods could just ignore them, so it turned every war into just playing fleet whack a mole.

Was it removed from the code entirely? I would have thought that they just removed the scripting that used it and it could be reactivated by mods.

See, that is what I meant: Regardless of how often I said that's wrong, I was just ignored. It's flat out wrong that there is no strategic defense with warp. I mean, I easily defended my own strategic strongholds and had no trouble defeating AIs using warp.

The trick is simply to realize that fleets moving around are completely worthless if you can strike the enemy where it hurts. I won most of my warp wars either by letting the enemy smash into my central planets and my waiting fleets, or by smashing into theirs after they moved all their fleets away.

I get it, having choke points to defend is really psychologically soothing, but you don't really need them after you realize the enemy doesn't have them, either.

My own theory is that some people just can't adapt to how different warp and hyperspace played, and because they couldn't deal with it, they thought "I can't be wrong, the game is wrong!" :shrug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You just admitted there is only one strategy to fighting wars with warp drive and it's the boring one.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

warp was at least sort-of halfway balanced because it was slow. it was overall bad for the game because warp AIs were extremely irritating, but a hyperlane fleet could at least hypothetically be advantaged over warp in specific situations where the hyperlanes were arranged well

wormhole was just broken for any situation that didn't involve going to the other side of the galaxy. and since natural wormholes/gates didn't exist yet, there was rarely a reason you needed to be anywhere outside of your wormhole range. within your range, you could get anywhere an order of magnitude faster than warp or hyperlanes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Libluini posted:

I get it, having choke points to defend is really psychologically soothing, but you don't really need them after you realize the enemy doesn't have them,
My own theory is that some people just can't adapt to how different warp and hyperspace played, and because they couldn't deal with it, they thought "I can't be wrong, the game is wrong!" :shrug:

This was always the impression I got too. People really, really want to be able to turtle up in their own little further I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not one of the people saying warp drive is hard to deal with, I'm saying it reduced the strategic depth of the game.