Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Do lithoids make a better necrophage primary species since you don't really care about the growth rate penalty and they can live anywhere? They're also effectively immortal at that point.

Then meatbag prepatents for faster growth, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr. Merdle posted:

What are good mp settings?

Lies

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Anyway multiplayer is a hoot as long as you’re not playing it to be hyper competitive and kill each other. We usually have a few pairs of people with grudges from a previous game doing something to gently caress each other over, but it’s more rivals than enemies.

My best achievement in a multiplayer game was hearing the one dude who loudly proclaimed that, "I don't read any of this poo poo" as they slammed buttons that sometimes screwed over our various diplomatic workings and/or kept trying to force a peace during a war where some were recovering lost territory but they, "already had their stuff back and didn't want to be in it anymore" and when there was their continued internal monologue over voice comms I sent a vassalization request that they... accepted.

Seeing as everyone else gets the, "empire is now a vassal of other empire" there was a call for a pause as everyone else was laughing. "I don't read poo poo" then immediately declared a war of independence but the war quickly ended when they realized 1) my fleets were 3x the size of theirs and in position and 2) I took nihilistic acquisition.

They kept telling me to let them go, I told them they were property of the HSS Empire now (I was... Spr/Mil/Auth I think?) for their own protection (they were mat/xenophile iirc) and things died down until ten years later...

When I hit the integrate button, that's when things got funny and they started renaming all their planets and solar systems, "a", disbanding fleets, that sorta thing, and I get messages outside game from mutual friends that they were melting down and that maybe I should figure a way to diplomacy this?

So I demand 10 favors from everyone (I think there were 6 human players all in the same federation?) as well as some smatterings of resources, and let them go.

I eventually used the last of those favors to declare myself the Galactic Emperor.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cimber posted:

No, for some reason they just wouldn't build any more. I think me making multiple modes of bot kicked it into pumping them out more.

if creating a template somehow fixed it... did your old robot template somehow get its species rights set to Population Controls:Enabled?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I love endgame after I've already effectively won and am now just dicking around. The entire rest of the galaxy had joined a single federation, pretty clearly out of fear of me, so that if I declared a single war I'd be at war with the whole galaxy simultaneously. But I've got 7 fleets of 130k~ fleet strength each, cybrex warform and also the mega warframe whatever armies you get for being robots, a Colossus with a Nanobot Diffuser, and I figured... hey, seems like fun.

So I conquered the entire remaining galaxy in a single war as my doom fleets just attacked from everywhere at once, pouring through wormholes and L-Gates as well as my natural borders. I really wish I'd taken before/after screenshots. Bright side is, I've assimilated so many biologics! Who never have to worry about unhappiness ever again, because I've stripped their very individuality away from them and now they can't feel anything! I'm helping!

I intend to leave a few token members of other races around, just so they can watch me declare myself Galactic Emperor.

If I wasn't planning on doing a Fanatical Purifier run in the open beta next, to test out how hard going wide got hosed over, I'd be turning the difficulty up.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Another reason why admin cap was such a terrible mechanic: removing it leads to way too many complaints from people with civ5 brain

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Staltran posted:

Another reason why admin cap was such a terrible mechanic: removing it leads to way too many complaints from people with civ5 brain
If that was directed at me I'm witholding judgement after my initial rant on hearing the topic until I try it, but a game with no less than four unique "own every planet in the galaxy" civics should probably have going ultra-wide be a feasible option.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Which is better, going Flesh is Weak and then synthetics, or somehow waiting for Psionics to appear as a research?

I'm authoritarian/militant/materialist, so I'm thinking getting the psionics to pop is pretty much impossible.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Cimber posted:

Which is better, going Flesh is Weak and then synthetics, or somehow waiting for Psionics to appear as a research?

I'm authoritarian/militant/materialist, so I'm thinking getting the psionics to pop is pretty much impossible.

Flesh is Weak/Synthetics is better even if you weren't Materialist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CapnAndy posted:

If that was directed at me I'm witholding judgement after my initial rant on hearing the topic until I try it, but a game with no less than four unique "own every planet in the galaxy" civics should probably have going ultra-wide be a feasible option.
Which it is.

That's why this thread keeps :rolleyes:ing at the chicken littles. Crying that the sky is falling because eating an entire empire adds a few extra months to your next repeatable.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Before the beta bureaucrats became worth it tech-wise somewhere around 300 sprawl generally, and the penalty is a third of what it was before in the beta, so even if you could still get admin cap bureaucrats they probably wouldn't speed up your tech until 900 sprawl or so. It's not really any worse than before for a long time. I really don't think that change is nearly as impactful as a lot of people seem to think. And really bureaucrats were only added in 2.6, before that planets and systems increased tech costs. Before that became a thing in 2.0 (e: wait that's when systems started increasing tech costs, I think planets already did even earlier) I think every planet you had increased upkeep of all pops. Stellaris has had mechanics to hinder big empires for a long time, the admin cap system was just a toothless way of doing it (and also hit medium sized empires just as hard).

e2: 1.1 patch notes, june 2016:

quote:

Technology costs now increase by +10% per owned planet (up from +0%) and by +1% per Pop (down from +2%)

Staltran fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 25, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cimber posted:

I am a long time advocate of playing the psychic slot machine despite all the contempt this thread has for it. That said going Syntehtic/Bio is technically the stronger pick. Bio lets you mold DNA like putty and has some great exclusive traits, and Synthetic gives you all the best parts of being a Robot and a meatbag at the same time.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Horace Kinch posted:

I am a long time advocate of playing the psychic slot machine despite all the contempt this thread has for it. That said going Syntehtic/Bio is technically the stronger pick. Bio lets you mold DNA like putty and has some great exclusive traits, and Synthetic gives you all the best parts of being a Robot and a meatbag at the same time.

I did enjoy bio last time, and though that was pretty sweet.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well thats an interesting bug. I went through the l-gate, got Grey, made him a governor.

Later on I've moved onto cybernetics. I guess the guy is somehow able to put in cybernetics into his nanite body, as he has the leader perk.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Staltran posted:

Before the beta bureaucrats became worth it tech-wise somewhere around 300 sprawl generally, and the penalty is a third of what it was before in the beta, so even if you could still get admin cap bureaucrats they probably wouldn't speed up your tech until 900 sprawl or so. It's not really any worse than before for a long time. I really don't think that change is nearly as impactful as a lot of people seem to think. And really bureaucrats were only added in 2.6, before that planets and systems increased tech costs. Before that became a thing in 2.0 (e: wait that's when systems started increasing tech costs, I think planets already did even earlier) I think every planet you had increased upkeep of all pops. Stellaris has had mechanics to hinder big empires for a long time, the admin cap system was just a toothless way of doing it (and also hit medium sized empires just as hard).

e2: 1.1 patch notes, june 2016:

Yeah but the text is red.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Started on a relic world as a Rogue Servitor.

The precursor rolled is First League.

Found a size 25 relic world nearby home, with the Ruined World archaeology site.

So... how big of an empire do I need to feed three ecumenopoli

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah but the text is red.
I'm not going to lie that is a genuine massive UI failing.

It's mostly yellow now but it's still red for edicts.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Deuce posted:

Found a size 25 relic world nearby home, with the Ruined World archaeology site.

Depends on whether you opt for Machine World Cheese-Cheese: use the "Machine World transformation squishes all (non-cyborg) organics, and if any pops do get gibbed then the planet gets a resource deposit added" mechanism to cut down on the number of farms it takes to feed your meatbags. You sacrifice one of your least useful bio-trophies per world and get like +15 food/mo forever.

haven't actually tried this on servitors, but was really powerful for Driven Assimilators... at the cost of having to keep track of when your terraform timers end, and needing to resettle pops right before it finishes

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 26, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Horace Kinch posted:

Same.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

silentsnack posted:

Depends on whether you opt for Machine World Cheese-Cheese: use the "Machine World transformation squishes all (non-cyborg) organics, and if any pops do get gibbed then the planet gets a resource deposit added" mechanism to cut down on the number of farms it takes to feed your meatbags. You sacrifice one of your least useful bio-trophies per world and get like +15 food/mo forever.

I meant more like the minerals and energy to support the billion foundry drones and researchers you could fit on three ecumenopoli.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deuce posted:

However big you need to be to own three black holes, for three matter decompressors.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Wait…megastructures aren’t limit 1 of each?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Not if you're "gifted" extras by your neighbors!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Theoretically yes, but there's nothing stopping you from building the construction site, abandoning the system, building a second construction site, and then completing both. Alternatively spin off a vassal, start the upgrade, give the system away, integrate, etc.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PittTheElder posted:

Theoretically yes, but there's nothing stopping you from building the construction site, abandoning the system, building a second construction site, and then completing both. Alternatively spin off a vassal, start the upgrade, give the system away, integrate, etc.

I was under the impression that you were, in fact, stopped from doing that??

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Deuce posted:

I meant more like the minerals and energy to support the billion foundry drones and researchers you could fit on three ecumenopoli.

Yeah exactly. Machine worlds give production/housing bonuses so you produce more minerals and energy from fewer planets (and get more drones since machine worlds have +1 robot assembly even with zero replicator jobs enabled)

And if you make those planets also produce a bit of food then you won't need as many dedicated farm planets/ringworlds, again the efficiency at supplying basic resources increases the amount of labor you can redirect to alloys/science and winning the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit2: nevermind, game still has too many nagging bits

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 26, 2022

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Yami Fenrir posted:

Flesh is Weak/Synthetics is better even if you weren't Materialist.

This. Also being materialist makes it literally impossible for the initial psionic tech to roll for you unless your society researcher already has the psionic specialty. Which they can't roll as a member of your primary species since you are materialist. The only way to get psionic as a materialist is to get an already psionic species in your empire and get one of them to lead your society research. Racket and Ketling pops fit the bill if some other normal empire hasn't gone psionic.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 26, 2022

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

5 years away from the "200 years of peace as a Pacifist empire" achievement. Really looking forward to uncorking on my Fanatic Purifier neighbor with my 900k fleet power, followed by the Devouring Swarm next door to them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Antillie posted:

This. Also being materialist makes it literally impossible for the initial psionic tech to roll for you unless your society researcher already has the psionic specialty. Which they can't roll as a member of your primary species since you are materialist. The only way to get psionic as a materialist is to get an already psionic species in your empire and get one of them to lead your society research. Racket and Ketling pops fit the bill if some other normal empire hasn't gone psionic.

The Living Sea anomaly is the other way, it straight up gives you the Psionic Theory tech.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deuce posted:

I was under the impression that you were, in fact, stopped from doing that??

Well I haven't played in a couple months, so it's possible things changed, but they in fact have not.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not sure what just happened, but my fleet speeds have just dropped to a crawl. It takes me 90ish days now to cross a system and enter another one, where before it used to be MUCH faster. I have no idea why, is someone driving with the brakes on or something?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Did you get a debuff from, say, the Shroud? Did a buff that you've had timed out? Did you replace the admiral in charge with someone that doesn't give sublight speed bonuses?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Is that bug/effect still in where the speed of the fleet is set to the fastest ship? Might be all corvettes died or something then!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Obvious question but you didn't just use the jump drives, did you? They come with a temporary debuff to sublight speed, among other things.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tomn posted:

Obvious question but you didn't just use the jump drives, did you? They come with a temporary debuff to sublight speed, among other things.

.....that might be it after all. I think I did jump them into a new system. Lemme check.

[edit]Yeah, that was it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cimber posted:

Not sure what just happened, but my fleet speeds have just dropped to a crawl. It takes me 90ish days now to cross a system and enter another one, where before it used to be MUCH faster. I have no idea why, is someone driving with the brakes on or something?

Is it across all systems? Some of the systems (I think they look like there’s a thunderstorm, can’t remember the name) have an incredibly tedious in-built sunlight speed rebuff

E:nm

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also those space storms. Those have to be the most annoying thing ever added to the game. I think the only effect is that it slows your ships way down and makes Neutron Launchers even better

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cimber posted:

.....that might be it after all. I think I did jump them into a new system. Lemme check.

[edit]Yeah, that was it.

Ah, well, glad that was an easy fix!

Also just in case you didn't already know using the jump drives also comes with a -50% weapon damage debuff, so best not to jump right into combat unless you seriously overmatch your enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'm confused. Overcrowding? This is a planet I took from the Devouring Swarm that the galaxy has teamed up to purge. All Undesirables are gone, just one of my robo-pops but he apparently wants to peace out because it's too crowded.