Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Anno posted:

The leader cap AP seems like a pretty good early pick, so it's not even that hard to have 5-6 scientists running around if that's what you want to focus on.

For me it's still hard to top research speed/edict fund as my first two picks, being able to run energy/mineral subsidies for free is just too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think the expectation is to not have 4+ science ships now, since the AI also doesn't. Almost like you have to change your playstyle in the face of new mechanics or something. :iiam:
The AI never built enough science ships. Maybe instead of spending several years trying to convince people they're exploring wrong they should have tried to make the game fun at the way everyone wants to play it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ilkhan posted:

I think it's less the cost and more they restrict how fast they level.

Oh, yeah that's started to become noticable :whitewater:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Wilekat posted:

Needing to cut back on science ships in the same patch they added a bunch of really solid automation options to them is pretty funny though :v:

I barely pay attention to them any more. It's great! Just... Don't let your science councillor wander off into the dark corners of the galaxy to get eaten by a surprise Stellarite Devourer or something like I did

You too? :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh hey I wasn't the only one that bumped into the stellar devourer this patch :toot:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I think the expectation is to not have 4+ science ships now, since the AI also doesn't. Almost like you have to change your playstyle in the face of new mechanics or something. :iiam:
You need 3 at a minimum and 4 at a maximum, every game. Not exploring the galaxy as quickly means you find your neighbors and the chokepoints slower, which means you claim less territory and have less planets, less digsites, and less income, and then you lose.

Their usefulness falls off once you're done exploring and the majority of your sites are dug out, though. So now rather than having science ships sitting idle at starbases with scientists inside who do nothing, they'll sit idle empty?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You aren't parking your science ships over your lab worlds once you're done exploring? There are even leader traits that boost assisting research now!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Bloody Pom posted:

For me it's still hard to top research speed/edict fund as my first two picks, being able to run energy/mineral subsidies for free is just too good.

The research speed seems like it could be done better by two extra leaders (and extra levels for your others) if you have at least one scientist-enabled council position to open up.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Anno posted:

The research speed seems like it could be done better by two extra leaders (and extra levels for your others) if you have at least one scientist-enabled council position to open up.

There's also the 50% increase to rare technology chance, which is really nice.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I would do loving anything to just remove pirates from the loving game.

I don't monitor my trade for two loving minutes and a stack that's twice the size of the max fleet I can field just spawns next to my capital.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bloody Pom posted:

You aren't parking your science ships over your lab worlds once you're done exploring? There are even leader traits that boost assisting research now!
Honestly? Too lazy.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I would do loving anything to just remove pirates from the loving game.

I don't monitor my trade for two loving minutes and a stack that's twice the size of the max fleet I can field just spawns next to my capital.

Mods have you covered. Also disables AI crime syndicates.

Anno
May 10, 2017

My Renowned scientist lady just asked for us to take in her Blorg friend who's apparently quite the expert at governing mineral-rich planets, which I just happened to have one of. I wonder if that's a random event or something scripted.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I don’t see any reason to make sectors at all.

In a way, it can make sense thematically.

In the beginning of your empire the "frontier" worlds outside of main sector, even if you colonized 5 at once, wouldn't really be organized enough to be working together. As your empire grows (and you get more leader slots or the ability to take negatives from having too many), those frontier worlds are starting to grow past 10 pops and start to mean something.

It gets more difficult when you conquer large swathes of territory.

It looks like the governor level bonuses do apply across the sector (-crime, +prod, -pop sprawl), it's their traits that don't apply to other planets. So, a sector of 3+ planets with 30-40 pops in it can make sense to have a planet and sector governor.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I can't see a reason to not click the Create Sector button. Even if you don't appoint a governor you at least have the option to set it up on automation if you have it in a sector. And the governor bonuses are strong if you have the spare leader cap.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sectors are good because once I'm done setting up their build order I can collapse their sector on the side bar

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Danaru posted:

Sectors are good because once I'm done setting up their build order I can collapse their sector on the side bar

If you don't build extra sectors then you only have to collapse your home and the frontier sector sections :thunk:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I guess if I’m at the leader cap I can just get whatever excavation done and then create a vassal. It does seem like there’s more incentive now to use those vassal specialties.

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005
Am I missing something with oppressive autocracy? It basically makes your pops better hive mind pops, it seems to be crazy strong.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The new DLC makes destroying any Science ships you can even better for anyone who has it as an option. Four or five Science ships with a Leader in each one is a lot of resources to destroy in the early game.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Hey, the first post is kinda dated. Can anyone point me towards a list of what dlc are actually considered worth it these days?

I used to play this a lot a long time ago, but stopped because my potato of a computer couldn't handle late game. I recently got a non-potato computer, and suddenly this game is eating all of my free time. But there's like a $100 worth of dlc out on it. Probably going to get something out of this sale, but not all of it.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Ugh, I like Under one Rule but this part is kinda bullshit.

Spoiler regarding the lategame of the new origin.

You'd think uploading the Luminary into a robot body would save his life...

Anno
May 10, 2017

Tuna-Fish posted:

Hey, the first post is kinda dated. Can anyone point me towards a list of what dlc are actually considered worth it these days?

I used to play this a lot a long time ago, but stopped because my potato of a computer couldn't handle late game. I recently got a non-potato computer, and suddenly this game is eating all of my free time. But there's like a $100 worth of dlc out on it. Probably going to get something out of this sale, but not all of it.

Utopia for sure. After that I think the four story packs are very good bang-for-buck content. Federations, Overlord and now Galactic Paragons are the other expansions I personally think are must-have, but there aren’t any I’d say just never buy. Nemesis is the weakest but even that has some cool stuff in it.

The species packs are mostly flavor so feel free to pick what looks cool or thematic to you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ugh, I like Under one Rule but this part is kinda bullshit.

Spoiler regarding the lategame of the new origin.

You'd think uploading the Luminary into a robot body would save his life...

Yeah the whole thing is horseshit. Apparently, you can proc an event that let's you do a Golden Throne type situation with him, but it requires you to use the option that raises special resource costs dramatically over time. I was dedicating my entire economy to this, and suffering diplomatic hits the whole time before I couldn't sustain it anymore. And now, I'm just an empire with no special bonuses or origin powers whatsoever. It loving sucks rear end and I'm never using it again.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah the whole thing is horseshit. Apparently, you can proc an event that let's you do a Golden Throne type situation with him, but it requires you to use the option that raises special resource costs dramatically over time. I was dedicating my entire economy to this, and suffering diplomatic hits the whole time before I couldn't sustain it anymore. And now, I'm just an empire with no special bonuses or origin powers whatsoever. It loving sucks rear end and I'm never using it again.

I got that outcome actually.

I don't mind the idea but it really should let you consider more creative solutions too.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jack Trades posted:

Variation is good?

Only if the actual options are good. Also with ascension being moved to traditions you effectively only have 6 choices now.

Ascension perks are where we really need variety. Too many of them are boring, situational, or both. I'd say civics are in a similar position but it looks like they got some neat stuff in this xpack.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I think civics are in a great spot now with the council position additions, although a lot of them give fairly generic stuff like pop amenity usage or whatever.

Also I agree with the tradition trees tbh, I've started using mods to give a bigger number because there's still too many "obvious" choices like oh yeah I'd certainly like to research faster duh

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tuna-Fish posted:

What do you like to do? Different expansions buff different playstyles.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I finally got the Zroni Storm Caster! Now my Citadels are gonna totally crush the enemy fle...

Oooh. Oh... Well, poo poo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AG3 posted:

I finally got the Zroni Storm Caster! Now my Citadels are gonna totally crush the enemy fle...

Oooh. Oh... Well, poo poo.
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. By chance is it in a system which already has shield negation?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Are Zroni worth it? Even as a psionics based civilization I wind up going for the war forge :frog:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Poil posted:

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. By chance is it in a system which already has shield negation?

Nope, but I do have another base in a system with shield negation and it's exactly identical. The people in charge of designing and building these bases just don't give a gently caress, I guess.

Danaru posted:

Are Zroni worth it? Even as a psionics based civilization I wind up going for the war forge :frog:

I just roll with whatever I get, but I'd say Zroni are generally a bit on the weak side.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 13, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I deliberately don't research autocannons because they just seem to neuter defensive starbases. I'm sure they're great against heavily shielded enemies who only fight at point blank range but personally I prefer my citadels to actually return fire.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
It’s so weird and annoying you (still) can’t pick what weapons your starbases use.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You used to be able to, waaay back in the day, just like you can for ships. I don't mind not being able to design the bases myself, but at the very least I'd like them to understand that using shields and anti-shield weapons in a pulsar system is a complete waste of resources. And yeah, please stop using autocannons and disruptors on starbases while they're at it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish I loved anything as much as "Auto-best" loves the energy siphon

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Danaru posted:

The Zroni are strong as hell because you get access to Zro in the early game, which you can dump on the market to turbo charge your economy.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Forgot that cracking the egg can kill your scientist occasionally. Sorry guy, I guess you got ate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Danaru posted:

I wish I loved anything as much as "Auto-best" loves the energy siphon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The goon custom empire mod seems to have disappeared off the steam workshop?

I guess it's being retooled with all the new Civic options.