Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Dang, I can't jump a fleet through a wormhole into a system owned by marauders because their "borders are closed" to me. On the map the hyperlanes in their space are all blue and I could move ships in along the lanes just not through the natural wormhole. That sucks.

I see no way to declare war on them or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ha ha, oh wow. I just had my first upgraded pirates pop up. They have the exact same fleet strength than my main fleet, and for some reason they got frigates and raiders modeled after actual space pirates. So I guess what happened here those clowns got some major help by nearby real pirates.

I think I can deal with this, but I didn't expect pirates to immediately jump from a couple hundred to over 1k strength, that's kind of abrupt.

Edit: Welp, they pasted my main fleet. Really didn't expect pirates to jump from zero to hero like that. :suicide:

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
So is this a bug or am I just dumb? Playing as some Machine Exterminators, and I can't seem to declare war on the organics I just encountered. Haven't played in awhile and the whole claims and CB thing is apparently new so I might just not understand what I'm doing, but I go to declare war and there's no cb's I can pick and I go to the diplomacy screen and I can't make claims (says there's no system to claim). I have no idea how the the purification CB is supposed to work, but anyone run into anything like this? Second game running into this, first game wasn't super far in, couldn't declare war or see any CBs against an organic empire bordering me, but seemed to be able to against a machine empire bordering me which made no sense, thought it was a bug and just restarted.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
btw quote this if "hostile fleet detected" is your new jam

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Echoing comments that having Marauders spammed either at or through me on cooldown by the AI is a really unfun mechanic. IMO you should be able to grant them closed or open borders, and if they're given open borders they don't wreck your poo poo on the way to someone else. If they're targeted at you they should contact you and you should have the ability to counter-offer 150-200% of the original payment for them to gently caress up the person who ordered the hit instead. At which point they can pay another inflated price... and so on and so on until someone runs out of money or refuses to pay.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 25, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

DatonKallandor posted:

Marauders could do with some sort of bidding mechanic, because there's no indicator for players when they are "done" raiding and be bought again, so the AI just insta-rebuys them, every time.

IIRC, Sins of a Solar Empire had the marauder faction on a regular timer, and during the countdown you could bid on targets. Whichever empire received the highest collective bids would be the victim that round. In that system you couldn't be out spammed by omniscient AI, and the economics of it naturally scaled with how much people were willing to pay for - or against - the service.

Also, I think they should stop attacking everything between them and the actual target, especially when the damage caused by this is often greater than the damage dealt to the actual target.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Echoing comments that having Marauders spammed either at or through me on cooldown by the AI is a really unfun mechanic. IMO you should be able to grant them closed or open borders, and if they're given open borders they don't wreck your poo poo on the way to someone else. If they're targeted at you they should contact you and you should have the ability to counter-offer 150-200% of the original payment for them to gently caress up the person who ordered the hit instead.

Like I say in midgame they just...stop.
But yea if they're raiding you they should ask for payment.

I had one raiding fleet get stuck in a border system between me and my only enemy. They sat there for maybe 100 years and it's only recently I've been able to blow them up during that "open borders" period you get after a war.
It made fighting so annoying in that area.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BlackJosh posted:

So is this a bug or am I just dumb? Playing as some Machine Exterminators, and I can't seem to declare war on the organics I just encountered. Haven't played in awhile and the whole claims and CB thing is apparently new so I might just not understand what I'm doing, but I go to declare war and there's no cb's I can pick and I go to the diplomacy screen and I can't make claims (says there's no system to claim). I have no idea how the the purification CB is supposed to work, but anyone run into anything like this? Second game running into this, first game wasn't super far in, couldn't declare war or see any CBs against an organic empire bordering me, but seemed to be able to against a machine empire bordering me which made no sense, thought it was a bug and just restarted.

You need to have direct borders for the special CB to fire.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So my 10k Star Fortress (with 4k fleet backup) managed to (barely) stop a 24k Maurader clan under the great Khan. That was pretty sweet, until they showed up with 30k fleet a few months later and destroyed it. :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I get the complaints about status quo treaties because the text is wrong in game completely. It's not a white peace because claims come into effect and can result in territory gained or lost depending on influence over the area, which again isn't fully explained.

And just to add extra complexity, claims don't come into effect against marauders or horde empires, for the war score create different exhaustion differences.

It's great fun, but it needs explained much much better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also lol the ancient dreadnought is basically worthless now because it slows any fleet it's in down to a pitiful sub 100

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

So my 10k Star Fortress (with 4k fleet backup) managed to (barely) stop a 24k Maurader clan under the great Khan. That was pretty sweet, until they showed up with 30k fleet a few months later and destroyed it. :(

This was kind of my experience with that crisis. Apart from killing the khan while he's isolated (which probably won't happen because of bugs) I didn't feel like it was possible to actually contend with that much fleet power constantly coming out of thin air at that point in the game. If it pops up again I'm probably just going to immediately surrender.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wow, what a loving building.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

You need to have direct borders for the special CB to fire.

nothing else? The borders are definitely touching, and I've got a whole bunch of cbs that show up for the neighboring but not touching machine empire but none for the organic empire I'm mashed right up against. This has to be a bug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, what a loving building.

That's basically a lategame thing designed to give you a sort of autonomous version of the enclave trading.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WMain00 posted:

I get the complaints about status quo treaties because the text is wrong in game completely. It's not a white peace because claims come into effect and can result in territory gained or lost depending on influence over the area, which again isn't fully explained.

Yea, I've been seeing status quo ones and being baffled. I can't fight my own wars pretty much as I'm a pacifist so I've just been watching the AI do them.
It sure was baffling when I was winning but the person I was fighting with peaced out and lost one of their systems.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Funnily enough it's explained much better in the dev diaries! Strange that the right information hasn't been passed over to the game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I love the new starbase system a lot. I was getting absolutely shitstomped by a pirate collective next door to me which destroyed my only other colony (life seeded civ) and was raiding me constantly. During a gap in their raids, I set up a star fortress around a pulsar choke system and jammed as many specialized laser/armor gun installations around it as I could afford. The next time they came to raid me, they jumped into my choke, instantly lost all their shields and were cut to ribbons by my star base. They tried a couple more times in the next few decades but eventually gave up lol

I really wish there was more buildings, I kinda run out of decent stuff to put on them, especially on my trading posts. Hydroponics, resource caches, even the one that speeds up hyperspace and impulse movement in system are really boring. The latter especially would feel a lot better to build if it affected hyperlanes for like 3 hops from the system so I can actually move my ships around my territory in a timely matter midgame.

Also more black hole observatory analogues for other phenomenon like pulsars/tomb worlds/gaia planets/w/e please

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

OwlFancier posted:

That's basically a lategame thing designed to give you a sort of autonomous version of the enclave trading.

Ironically I find it pretty useless, in 2.0 energy is much more the limiting factor than minerals in the late game due to high upkeep costs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ormi posted:

playing a pacifist trade league with gigantic fortress stations and more money than god sure is cool, too bad liberation wars are literally impossible because occupations give zilch and you can't rival empires that would be small enough to make up for it

haven't had a single war that didn't tick up to 100 WE for both sides yet :thunk:

If you don't get a full on victory for your war you're probably claiming too much (a full surrender means you give up everything the other side claimed, even if they didn't conquer it as I understand it). Most wars are supposed to end with a status quo peace out and the territory gains going to the side that was doing better. You chip away at your opponent with multiple small scale wars. There's no big one-war, one-fleet, knock-out blows anyway.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Also lol the ancient dreadnought is basically worthless now because it slows any fleet it's in down to a pitiful sub 100

Never take control of any guardians before you have jump drives if you care about their relevance in the late-game. They always join with the best sub-light and FTL tech you have at that moment, and you can never update them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
One other thing I think needs improvement is travel times within my own borders/systems. Takes forever.

Would be cool if you could add navigation buoys or something to make my own "roads".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

If you don't get a full on victory for your war you're probably claiming too much (a full surrender means you give up everything the other side claimed, even if they didn't conquer it as I understand it). Most wars are supposed to end with a status quo peace out and the territory gains going to the side that was doing better. You chip away at your opponent with multiple small scale wars. There's no big one-war, one-fleet, knock-out blows anyway.

status quo peaces should probably not use the same symbology as white peaces from other paradox games, since they're not necessarily neutral outcomes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gyshall posted:

One other thing I think needs improvement is travel times within my own borders/systems. Takes forever.

Would be cool if you could add navigation buoys or something to make my own "roads".

iirc there's a thing you can build on starbases that can do that

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
So, what worked so far and what didnt (playing on hard/hard):

-I went militarist fanatic egalitarian space Soviets on a post apocalyptic homeworld. Egalitarian faction is incredibly easy to please, military faction less so but still doable. Post apocaylptic is nice because it nets you an extra type of world you can colonize, and living 10 years longer isnt bad too.
-From my experience, you get the most bang for your buck from rocket corvettes and destroyers (I am running destroyers with mass drivers on the large and lasers on the medium spots, reasoning is that the mass drivers are better vs most Space fauna and can start reducing shields at longer range) . Cruisers appear to be quite subpar currently. They are very inefficient rocket platforms in particular because the guided weapon sections for cruisers have S mounts otherwise which lack the range to contribute much. Battleships seem to be ok.
-In terms of war, defenses currently win. Most efficient way to win is to lure an attack in and then send your fleet in as backup. There are several reasons for this: A) War exhaustions comes from how much fleet capacity is lost as a proportion of the total fleet capacity. Since Defenses do not take up fleet capacity, losing a fortress does not cause war exhaustion directly. The losses the attacker takes very much count though. I had a battle were I actually lost (my fleet was 2K, enemies was 4K, I had a 600 power base in the system) but the enemy took far more actual ship losses and the whole thing counted as an overwhelming victory for me.
-The best admiral is the one with the disengagement bonus. Its like a pretty good wardsave for your ships.
-In terms of defenses, prioritize the starbase buildings. You do not have to rebuild those, which is the case with defense platforms.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Splicer posted:

My territory is the only route between two bunches of marauders and a third guy who is apparently really pissing someone off.

Same, although since the khan popped and I rolled over at least that group is friendly now.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Gyshall posted:

The Hyperlane Registrar building in a starbase speeds up jump times, which is something. It'd be nice to be able to have it in your systems without starbases though, since all of those tend to be near/on my borders.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I wish the hyperspace registrar affected connected systems too, so you could build a web of them across the core of your empire

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I wish the hyperspace registrar affected connected systems too, so you could build a web of them across the core of your empire

I'd go one step further and say it should affect all systems within sensor range of that station.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

It'd be nice to make a sort of "road".

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Space Skeleton posted:

I'd go one step further and say it should affect all systems within sensor range of that station.

This is a good idea do this wiz

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Even still, the hyperlane registrar only affects the time to jump, not sublight speed, which is the real slow part of travel. I think I'd like to see outposts given a single, new type of slot you can only ever get one of per system that can do things like increasing sublight travel (for roads), or maybe increasing the output of minerals, energy, or research in the system they're in. Or maybe a minefield for border systems.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tomn posted:

Ironically I find it pretty useless, in 2.0 energy is much more the limiting factor than minerals in the late game due to high upkeep costs.

High upkeep costs of what? Ships cost more minerals than energy in upkeep now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tomn posted:

I'm finding it honestly a bit of a mix depending on what I spec into, I've been able to run with a surplus of either but i think once I get habitats I should be well sorted for energy.

E: suggestion: I don't think that increasing the tech cost multiplier also increases the time-related locks on technologies? It'd be nice if those two were separate sliders cos as it stands I've got T2 weapons but I'm unlocking star fortresses.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just hit the "midgame" point and I'm able to run two trade deals for -100 energy +50 minerals and still have around a +200 energy surplus, but then I did also build about 8 starports that have nothing but Trading Hub modules.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

So about the marauders, they arn't as tough as their fleet power might indicate. In my experience if you can get to approximately equal fleet power, you can generally trash them with relatively low casualties. This might be because autocannons have pretty inflated calculated fleet power from what i can tell. They're good, just not as good as the game thinks they are. And since they don't know how the EFTL if you wipe a fleet its gone.

(Curiously enough, the Hit n Run doctrine seems to apply to mercenary marauders, so you can get about 1/3 of a merc fleet back after a wipe ;p)

UltraRed posted:

Posted this in the last thread, reposting here.

The raiders from the mid game event where they unite are pushing my poo poo in. I'm part of a federation with 3 other AIs who seem to be content with having them wreck my stuff. How do I get them to come help me out? UI instructions may be necessary, this is a Paradox game after all.

unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a way to get the ai to group up for crisis wars... They arn't as bad at it as they used to be, but i had a bunch of AIs jump into a fed to fight the marauders and the one who bordered the marauders promptly declared war on me. Which they lost since their main fleet just sat in their capital because it was too scared of marauders.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I guess when you buy marauder mercenaries (not raids but the fully controllable fleet) they just teleport into your capital or something? Just had to give up on a fanatic purifier game when I completely destroyed an opponent's fleet, went to knock over their capital and got bushwhacked by a fleet twice the size of mine that popped into existence out of nowhere. Lost almost the entire fleet, instant 75% war weariness. This was after the same issue everybody else is complaining about of the marauders annihilating half my mining stations endlessly while raiding somebody else. I do love the idea of marauders, and most of the changes overall, but they do need some tweaking.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, I had gotten destroyers and sort of built my fleet around them. Except, after I had built them, I realized I forgot to put weapons on them. So now I've got to upgrade them, except it's hard to get the minerals to do it, because the destroyers had put me over my naval capacity until just recently, and I've got pirates running around smashing up my stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Skippy McPants posted:

Never take control of any guardians before you have jump drives if you care about their relevance in the late-game. They always join with the best sub-light and FTL tech you have at that moment, and you can never update them.

Nah, automated dreadnought spawns with jump drive and top regular tier everything now no matter what I have. It's just a slow piece of poo poo that's half the speed of anything else because I think its base speed didn't get upgraded for Cherryh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

imweasel09 posted:

This was kind of my experience with that crisis. Apart from killing the khan while he's isolated (which probably won't happen because of bugs) I didn't feel like it was possible to actually contend with that much fleet power constantly coming out of thin air at that point in the game. If it pops up again I'm probably just going to immediately surrender.

yeah, this and a few other things are bugs that make me juuuuust sad enough that i might put it aside until the first patch pass