Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It is weird to me just how much the wider internet is whining about the changes despite how much they are obviously better and more fleshed out than what they are replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Darkrenown posted:

If you kill the Vanguard fast enough the main fleet fucks off.

:v: Gonna invade this galaxy!
:black101: :killdozer:
:v: :yikes:

Darkrenown you don't know how much it tickles me to learn this is intended behavior. I had a game recently where I played as friendly, largely pacifist birb people in a workers collective megacorp. They ascended synthetically and earned the ire of...basically everyone not in their federation of friendly peaceniks. This resulted in a hellwar with the Spiritualist FE where they were beaten back barely, their tech scavenged, and then a round two where I destroyed everything they ever loved. The once harmless trader birbs become extremely angry robots enforcing peace on the galaxy at sword point.

So when the Prethoryn landed directly in my territory, my incredibly well fortified territory, it went uh super badly for them. If only they'd landed...anywhere other than in the territory of the highly militarized corporate robot birds.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What difficulty should I run with Galvius AI? Grand Admiral has everyone at Overpowering pretty quickly, so maybe not Grand Admiral.

Admiral works fine for me unless you are willing to cheese GA by buying positive relations with neighbors or a minmaxed shitler type. When the AI got a bit less retarded in 2.2.5 and learned how to do things like "hire an admiral" and not suffer decision paralysis GA turned from a joke to "wow I'm dead again in the first 20 years"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Admiral works fine for me unless you are willing to cheese GA by buying positive relations with neighbors or a minmaxed shitler type. When the AI got a bit less retarded in 2.2.5 and learned how to do things like "hire an admiral" and not suffer decision paralysis GA turned from a joke to "wow I'm dead again in the first 20 years"

Are you talking about base 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 or are you talking about running those versions with Glavius AI, just curious since I was also going to try Glavius with 2.2.6

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Are you talking about base 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 or are you talking about running those versions with Glavius AI, just curious since I was also going to try Glavius with 2.2.6

Glavius though I had 2.2.5 on and off with vanilla since there were some times where his rapid release cycle made things hosed up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Glavius though I had 2.2.5 on and off with vanilla since there were some times where his rapid release cycle made things hosed up.

Awesome thanks, I'll try Glavius + Admiral and let's see how it goes :ohdear:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Cool I'll try that, I feel like I might be getting owned as a devouring swarm on Grand Admiral.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Please go past your admin cap

This really needs to be the thread title.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Furthermore, put unemployed Pops at the top of the resettlement display.
God please this. And/or make it so the pops arent listed like they now and instead list them exactly like you see them in the planetary view (thus broken down by strata and you can expand a strata to see details of where each pop is working). I would also love it if they changed it so I could just click a planet in the outliner to bring it up as one of the two planets I am transferring pops onto/off of, rather than needing to click a bar to make a dropdown appear.

Fister Roboto posted:

Amen brother.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

since we are talking about it, is there any point at all that I should be concerned about how far I am over the cap or can I basically just ignore it until my robots have conquered and colonized every square inch of the galaxy?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

since we are talking about it, is there any point at all that I should be concerned about how far I am over the cap or can I basically just ignore it until my robots have conquered and colonized every square inch of the galaxy?
districts will take you way over the cap if you have even a moderate number of planets. raw numbers of science laboratories will power you through the penalties. if you're not deliberately going tall expand as much as possible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnEdgelord posted:

Its something that tells when you when you will get penalties to Unity trees unlocks, tech speed, leader and Edict costs, and I forget what else. The thing is, if you gain more energy income, unity income, and science income than what you are penalized for going over, it is a net gain.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2.2.6 is addictive as hell.
Agreed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
dev diary on sexy planet dlc today plz

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gyshall posted:

dev diary on sexy planet dlc today plz

Dev diary on more fallen empires/end game/mid game crisises please!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

AnEdgelord posted:

The major concern is less how much over the cap you are and more what is putting you over the cap. If you're building a ton of districts on multiple planets long before you need them, then that's a massive drain on your economy and research progress for no good reason as it will be many years before the population growth will catch up and get you anything useful out of the empire sprawl you're causing. So yeah, go over the cap, but don't go massively inflating empire sprawl off the bat by pre-building districts and such decades before you can actually use them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Iron Rose posted:

Please go past your admin cap

I haven't actually looked at my admin cap I think... ever?

It's a silly thing to worry about.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AG3 posted:

So yeah, go over the cap, but don't go massively inflating empire sprawl off the bat by pre-building districts and such decades before you can actually use them.

But going North Korea mode works great in other Paradox titles!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

THE BAR posted:

But going North Korea mode works great in other Paradox titles!
...building districts that do not have pops to work the new jobs opened up by them does not have anything to do with going all North Korea, though? Or am I missing something?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Think I mixed up that hotel of theirs with Chenggong.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

started up a 2.2.6 game as fanatical purifiers and didnt get any precursor anomolies for some reason. i've had two pity events fire but not any more. has this happened to anyone else?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Squiggle posted:

It's my own dumb brain, I will get jazzed for a major version of some game and think "oh this is great!" then reading a goddamn thread where everyone has a thousand hours of experience and opinion poisons my thoughts and suddenly I resent it for reasons I've literally never seen personally.

It's a terrible cycle.

I do this too, you're not alone.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

...building districts that do not have pops to work the new jobs opened up by them does not have anything to do with going all North Korea, though? Or am I missing something?

No, but it is a China thing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what would cause pops to stop assimilating in 2.2.6? i've got flesh is weak but i'm not going full synth, i'm happy to borg everyone. i have xenophile ethics and am just attracting waves of immigrants to boost my numbers. i have plenty of species which assimilate just fine but then others which never do - i set a group of them to assimilate and they just sat around, not assimilating but reproducing, to the point that unemployment events started to fire and i had to wait out a decade to switch them back to full citizenship. is it because i set AI rights from servitude to citizenship?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Check your individual species rights settings.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Assimilation has a bug :negative:

quote:

As a workaround if you aren't in ironman you can select a planet and run "event action.65" via the console. Note that this is the yearly "convert 3-12 pops" event, so you will need to run it multiple times to convert everyone.

People who are comfortable modding can instead edit event action.64 to use "any_owned_pop" instead of "any_owned_pop_species", although that may cause some end of year lag.

No DD today, Daniel is off at GDC. DDs are currently "only if we have something interesting to talk about" rather than every week.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

wiegieman posted:

Check your individual species rights settings.

i did this, they were all set to assimilation. some were assimilating (i assume, they were at 0 pops with a small number of un-gene modded borg subspecies and a larger number of gene modded borgs) while others were refusing to assimilate and just sitting around causing unemployment for no reason

Darkrenown posted:

Assimilation has a bug :negative:

ah word, thanks. i'm in ironman but it's no big deal, i'll just have some unborged organics running around. i guess they're set to residence now to encourage them to leave lol

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If you spin off sectors or do liberation wars things as a Megacorp you end out with Megacorp vassals... which means you can't open branch offices on them. This is uh extremely non ideal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of, I wish I could have a vassal megacorp. Someone to open commercial districts on my planets that can't/won't break that pact when I go and purge everyone else.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

started up a 2.2.6 game as fanatical purifiers and didnt get any precursor anomolies for some reason. i've had two pity events fire but not any more. has this happened to anyone else?

Sometimes you get very very few precursor anomalies, but I haven't figured out any sort of rhyme or reason to it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnEdgelord posted:

It is weird to me just how much the wider internet is whining about the changes despite how much they are obviously better and more fleshed out than what they are replacing.

Forget it, Jake. It's the Internet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

binge crotching posted:

Sometimes you get very very few precursor anomalies, but I haven't figured out any sort of rhyme or reason to it.

They're location-based! Bigger galaxies have some areas where precursors never/rarely spawn.

https://imgur.com/a/GJtQIEQ

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darkrenown posted:

DDs are currently "only if we have something interesting to talk about" rather than every week.
I was under the impression that post-patch support was supposed to be winding down by the end of March - am I wrong? I would love to see Le Guin features expanded on/improved and overall polish of the game worked on through April and even May but something I read (I cant remember where unfortunately) gave me the impression that that wasnt happening.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

Dev diary on more fallen empires/end game/mid game crisises please!

Having both a regular (gospel church?) megacorp FE + criminal megacorp FE would be really nice. Maybe a genetic ascension hive as well?

I was thinking the hive FE would ask for pops to integrate into their hive for genetic diversity, and if you're playing a hive they'll try to force you to accept random pops to integrate into yours. When they awaken they would be like the machine FE where they could be nice, or they could awaken as a devouring swarm.

Megacorp FEs would be a bit trickier to figure out what sort of mechanics they should have, I'm guessing it would be something like joining an EU4 trade league.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want megacorp mechanics to get fleshed out a lot more, similar to what happened to hive minds after Utopia

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was under the impression that post-patch support was supposed to be winding down by the end of March - am I wrong?

No.

quote:

We don’t have anything specific to talk about or show, but we thought it would be suitable to let you know we’re still working on the final post-release patch. We’re aiming to release the patch sometime in late February.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-140-2-2-x-post-launch-patch-v2.1152783/

And then the next dev said that 2.2.6 would go live March 7 and had a list of future possible items, with Sectors and Pop Growth were their two biggest targets for the near future.

quote:

I have a lot of thoughts of what I want Stellaris to explore over the next coming years, but first I would like to talk about some of the things we want to tackle in the near future. Pop growth and sectors are two systems that we feel are not in a place where we would like them to be.

For sectors we want to give players better control and automation, so that sectors can better help alleviate the need to micromanage very large empires. We haven’t decided on the details yet, but the ability to shift planets between sectors seems like something we would want, as would the ability to give a sector monthly subsidies for its development. As always, your thoughts are very valuable to us, so we would love to hear what it is that you want the sectors to do for you.

The pop growth system is problematic in the sense that it introduces a lot of unnecessary micromanagement at the moment. In an ideal world, pop growth would migrate to where the jobs are, to save you the need to resettle pops to where you need them. Balance-wise, multiple planets are also a bit too strong in terms of pop growth right now, and we will be looking into how we can make it work more like we would like. Although we’re a lot happier with how the tweaks have worked out, we’re still not entirely happy with habitability and base pop growth being exponentially too powerful. We will be looking into what can be done here, without having to do too many sweeping changes.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-141-exploring-the-future.1155962/

Of course, whatever Darkrenown says is probably more accurate.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I'm on the 2.2.6 beta branch and all the empires on the empire select screen are showing the same ethics. When you boot up the game they are their usual ethics though.

Zig-Zag fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 21, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nuramor posted:

Can anyone who played the New Horizons mod tell me if its normal for the economy to nosedive when the Federation is formed? All the sprawl and the undeveloped colonies from the other founding members cost far more in upkeep than the income from the gained mines.
Any tips?

There's a bug right now where once you form the federation you lose your trade routes which is probably the cause (normally the federation just explodes once formed and becomes unstoppable)

https://www.reddit.com/r/STNewHorizons/comments/awz9a2/guide_to_fixing_federation_trade_routes_bug_using/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really wish I could either automatically purge or uplift robots as Determined Exterminators. It's annoying that by default they're set to "Machine Integration" but nothing changes.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Lum_ posted:

There's a bug right now where once you form the federation you lose your trade routes which is probably the cause (normally the federation just explodes once formed and becomes unstoppable)

https://www.reddit.com/r/STNewHorizons/comments/awz9a2/guide_to_fixing_federation_trade_routes_bug_using/

Well, I had to restart anyway, between the mod getting a new version and me finally buying Megacorp I figured I might as well.
Kept the economy going but failed to get the Andorians into the Federation. They now hate me at ~ -250 and I'm blocked on every side by another faction. At this point it looks like the Ferengi like me the most, closely followed by the Klingons?? This is a strange, strange world.
Also, would that assimilation bug from earlier affect Borg gameplay? Do they use that or are their abilities homebrew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nuramor posted:

Well, I had to restart anyway, between the mod getting a new version and me finally buying Megacorp I figured I might as well.
Kept the economy going but failed to get the Andorians into the Federation. They now hate me at ~ -250 and I'm blocked on every side by another faction. At this point it looks like the Ferengi like me the most, closely followed by the Klingons?? This is a strange, strange world.
Also, would that assimilation bug from earlier affect Borg gameplay? Do they use that or are their abilities homebrew?

Borg assimilation is completely different in the mod. Once Borg ground troops take over a world it turns Borg, the Borg gain control and the pops very quickly either turn into a Borg variant or die. (You're expected to migrate the pops to the Borg unimatrix at that point as Borg pop growth is super slow)

Weird about the Andorians as they're set to prefer joining federations.