Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kaal posted:

Sounds like you should name your empire The Fun Police

If I wanted to make a custom fun police empire, what attributes should it have? Police State, obviously. Maybe Repugnant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kaal posted:

Sounds like you should name your empire The Fun Police

zonohedron posted:

If I wanted to make a custom fun police empire, what attributes should it have? Police State, obviously. Maybe Repugnant?

Reveilled posted:

Warrior Culture replaces entertainers with duelists.

I ended up going with neither Police State nor Warrior Culture. Obviously as societal ethics the Fun Police would want brutalism Functional Architecture and forms to fill out in quadruplicate for everything Efficient Bureaucracy; I decided on militarist-materialist-authoritarian, because I'd already had militarist for Warrior Culture, but I'm thinking maybe xenophobe instead? For government type, I went with imperial, on the principle that one person needed to be in charge of making sure nobody had fun; a given oligarch might accidentally allow fun at some point. At that point, Repugnant, Traditional, Conformist, and Communal were easy!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Inspired by the "this game is mean" conversations, when I saw archaeology sites for the first time in my current game, I had no-useful-trait scientists digging them up, and I sent someone boring through the gateway in my starting system. Does the ship always return hundreds of years older despite being gone less than a year?

I switched the Fun Police to be xenophobic instead of authoritarian, and Police State instead of Efficient Bureaucracy. Having to murder the space amoeba made me very sad; I'm looking forward to going back to playing exclusively xenophiles. Why explore space if not to meet new friends? :unsmith:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

fuf posted:

I just accidentally bought the Utopia DLC without realising I already own it

If anyone wants it the key

has been redeemed by me; thank you very much, fuf!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

While we're discussing armies, how would I The Fun Police get one of those? Do I need an admiral for them?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

yikes! posted:

Yeah I've been wishing for an army manager ever since the fleet manager came out. I'd also be happy with the idea people have of armies just being a module on a ship so I can make a dedicated troop ship and add some of those to a fleet.

I'd like to board ships in combat MOO2 style, but I'm not sure how well that would work here.

Yeah, it would be more streamlined to have Marines. Send them onto stations! Have them act as a damage control team! (I don't know how to program this, or even how it should work, but it would be a reason to have a single module of them even if you weren't planning on taking over a station or subduing a planet.) I suppose they wouldn't be marines because oceans wouldn't be involved. Sidereals? Galaxians? ("stellaris" is the Latin adjective for "starry" but that's kind of already taken.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Speaking of interface issues, why in the world do I need to click the little plus button once for every energy credit I'm offering in a trade, or is there an easier way to offer to trade, like, 600 energy credits in exchange for a favor? And while we're at it, what are favors good for? I tried to cash them in to get more support on my galactic senate resolution, but didn't get any additional supporters.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

LordMune posted:

Hold shift or control or something — I want to say there's a tooltip for it.

Torrannor posted:

You can hold ctrl or shift while clicking to get higher amounts. I don't remember which is which, I think shift + clicking will give +100 of a resource.

Jazerus posted:

shift-click and ctrl-click the + and - buttons for larger adjustments to the quantity

Libluini posted:

And something that gets forgotten every time this question shows up: If you click while holding both shift + ctrl, your amount goes up/down by 1000.

Well I feel stupid. :negative:

Jazerus posted:

favors work in two different ways. for the senate, it doesn't sway anyone's vote but a favor from somebody will add a portion of their diplomatic weight onto yours for the purpose of that vote. they don't lose any weight in the process though, so it's better to just get favors from big empires regardless of their position on the issue to boost your own voting power as much as you can. in federation votes, favors can be used to flip somebody's vote, and effectively serve as a mechanic for players to control the federation votes by investing some resources in their allies.

The two empires approximating mine in size really don't like me.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Gosh I'm glad I didn't spoil myself for the crises. Having the Unbidden show up and their fleet being more than ten times as strong as my strongest fleet was an unpleasant, and also very exciting, surprise, and it wouldn't have been as fun-but-horrifying if I'd known what to expect. They're nowhere near me, and I can't get to them because the empires between them and me have had closed borders for over a century. :thunk:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

You can try to pass a resolution in the senate to get everyone to open their borders until the crisis is dead. Or, you can watch the unbidden eat those empires instead!

I've proposed the resolution; there's three ahead of it. The ugly critters who've been insulting my beautiful mushroom people all game are gonna have to deal with the unbidden themselves, I guess.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

He's being too kind. Paraphrased from a previous post:

You can't research the Ministry of Production (+15% to cg and alloy production) until you research both the tier 2 alloys building and tier 2 cg building. You can't research those techs without access to motes or crystals respectively, via either the galactic market or researching the appropriate techs.

So a valuable forgeworld booster is gated behind a cg building which is gated behind crystals and the Ministry only consumes motes.

Now I know why I haven't seen it in most of my games! I thought it was just random, like everything else. Let me guess, I shouldn't be ignoring the dark energy drawing tech just because there's only two black holes in my entire galaxy and they're nowhere near me? (Also, the only time I have seen it, it was as my Mushroom Hive Mind, and they call their building a "Resource Processing Center", and get 2 Foundry Drone jobs rather than 1 Administrator job.)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 21, 2021

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kaal posted:

If things are too opaque then they get reduced to a map color and some fleet power numbers - which isn't actually all that interesting.

Map color and numbers is all the Unbidden have been. It is 2509, I'm the only one actually fighting the Unbidden, and right before I quit for the night last night I retook the system their portal is in, only to learn I can't close it until I destroy all the anchors. Every other battle, a Motile Organ develops autonomy and can be selected as an admiral, which is great because otherwise I'd have to keep hiring them, and also useless because 400 energy credits is the kind of thing I'd find in the couch cushions, if mushrooms sat on couches or had pockets that change could fall out of. All I want is to get to finish a game for the first time :negative:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Staltran posted:

Unbidden have no armor, more shields than hull, and their weapons have bonuses against armor and hull but a -50% penalty against shields. They're the most specialized crisis, and proper ship design against them is very important. Going against them with neutron launchers and giga cannons (my usual loadout against regular AIs) vs Arc Emitters and strike craft/disruptors/cloud lightning/kinetic artillery/whatever really is a massive difference.

They're not really difficult (I'm playing on Cadet and 25% strength Crisis, after all), just tedious. They're everywhere (because it took a really long time for everyone to open their borders so I could go smash them) and... okay, I knew I needed arc emitters (can't get cloud lightning; couldn't get to the void cloud system in time for the research project), but I'll make a new battleship design with shields and strike craft and see if that helps.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

How well they can assist on higher difficulty levels is debatable, but on Cadet yeah it's just you vs the crisis.

Better ships ended up not really mattering, but by 2527 I had finally destroyed all the teensy little starbases. Benevolent mushrooms now allow the rest of the galaxy to pretend it is independent, while voting against every resolution and war declaration, because they like the way the galaxy is already, thank you.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

I've had refugees showing up in vanilla machine intelligence space. Stellaris immigrants are not terribly bright.

I was very disappointed that nobody ever tried to immigrate to Mushroom Space. I even had the galactic market, and I was getting 3 consumer goods a month from observing a Renaissance-era species!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I used to name my ship classes after stuff that was thematic to my species, like "Wyvern class" or "Scale class" or "Spike class" etc; but stopped when this got too confusing to differentiate what the gently caress they do.

Now my current schema:

AS - Anti Shield
AH - Anti Hull
AP - Anti Armor (Armour Piercing)

Corvettes - Interceptors
Destroyers - Gunboats/Destroyers if Large sized hullpoints.

Etc.

You inspired me to start adding explanations to the names of my ships - e.g. the game generated Mitgabb for me, but then I saved it as Mitgabb-armor. (Which I have a lot of, because I just found out that my crisis will be the Prethoryn, and since they haven't shown up yet, I have time to retrofit my fleets...)

Next game I'll start out doing that; it'll make it a lot easier when I'm putting together a new fleet, because I won't have to open the ship designer to figure out which one has the missiles and which one is all-shields no-armor!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I wish I could sync up my star bases so V.I.R. only announced their successful update of a thing once; failing that, so he sounded excited or annoyed or bored with successive announcements...

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Or just have it not do an announcement for this at all because like, who cares that a defense platform finished upgrading. I stopped thinking about it the second I clicked the button.

Or that, yes. I would much rather it verbally inform me about things my leaders are doing or not doing, like dying or becoming paranoid or whatever, than hear "ships upgraded" and think "wait, what fleet did I upgr...... oh. right."

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Is there a way to designate a planet for refugees? They keep going to planets that don't have housing for them.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Is there a way to designate a planet for refugees? They keep going to planets that don't have housing for them.

Not only can I not do that, I can't keep them from going "there's no jobs here, but the penal colony on the tomb world has jobs, so let's go there, even though it's named Bad Robot Land and is solely inhabited by robots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

This must be what it's like to have played from the beginning and to have what you thought of as central mechanics to the game suddenly change :ohdear:

If I can't play super tall (because I have to have a system for gases, one for crystals, one for motes, one for a disabled gateway, and, if I can swing it one for dark matter, also because black holes are super-cool), but if I play even minimally wide I get penalized no matter what I do, that makes me sad! If I can choose between mitigating sprawl and researching faster, I'm going to mitigate sprawl, because one of them is a red number and one of them is "I guess this went slower than last game" - and it's always "I guess it's slower" because of the random nature of techs.

I started a game (on Cadet; I only play on Cadet, don't judge) where my only goal for the run was to become robots, so I turned off fallen empires and advanced empires and even the crisis because all I wanted to do was become robots, not prepare for anything else. I knew I needed to learn planetary unification, colonial centralization, powered exoskeletons, and robotic workers to get droids, and then I needed galactic administration, positronic AI, self-evolving logic, and administrative AI to learn synthetics, so I was way ahead of where someone at my (lack-of-)skill level would have been without the wiki, and it still took me until 2319 to be able to study synthetics! I had a robot (that I made in a factory) as a scientist before that, which, very thematically, meant she was the one studying the technology that let the rest of her society become just like her, and I'm not even sure that it was just a neat coincidence and not somehow necessary.