Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the mystery is good, but I wish some things were more exposed by default, mostly "we hate you because of some fundamental ethos mismatch" kinda thing.

oh yeah please make certain diplo modifiers obvious even at 0 intel. trust is complicated, so obviously things like that should be hidden. but simple modifiers like "we think you materialists are disgusting" would make sense to know at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Warmachine posted:

You could even be super minimalistic and RP: have each card list its prerequisities (technologies that inspired it) and what it can enable (theoretical technologies).

It's not the same as having the entire tech tree open to you, but since I presume they want to retain the "mystery" of technological discovery, it seems like a nice compromise. Also, categorization that is deeper than particles, fields, and computers would help. Classification for military and civilian tech would be nice.
all the common techs should be on fixed paths with no randomization as to whether or not they're available and clearly marked prerequisities

the randomized and obscure stuff should be reserved for rare techs

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mr. Crow posted:

Nah, it could maybe be adjusted to be less repetitive but the fog of war etc is good

Yeah the fog of war stuff is great, and I don't even have the expansion. I think that low intel on systems should be easier to get so you can see the map (you need 60 intel, which is higher than the base level of 50 infiltration offered by a Spy Network), I wish it were easier to gather intel on rivals, and I think that studying debris should provide an intel benefit similar to that of an intel operation. In fact I'd say that dropping intel requirements by 10 across the board would be a good idea. But apart from some tweaks it's a good system.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
I wish you didn't need 100 intel to see ship loadouts. Debris should give you that imo

Also is it possible to use custom name lists with achievements?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

tak posted:

I wish you didn't need 100 intel to see ship loadouts. Debris should give you that imo

Yeah I certainly agree with this. It isn't even so much a balance issue for me as it is an issue with enemies being too faceless. An empire shouldn't be so mysterious that the player knows nothing about them, what their motivations are, or what their ships are like. If things are too opaque then they get reduced to a map color and some fleet power numbers - which isn't actually all that interesting.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
The funny thing is that you can still tell a lot of loadout slots apart from visuals in fights anyway.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tak posted:

Also is it possible to use custom name lists with achievements?

Holy crap I didn't know this was how you got ship loadouts. This is what I've been HATING about the new system.

Yami Fenrir posted:

The funny thing is that you can still tell a lot of loadout slots apart from visuals in fights anyway.

I've been falling back on this and reading the combat logs about what kind of damage came in and how I fared. Almost to the point of building a "canary fleet" of perfectly balanced damage and hitpoint types to control and understand exactly what the enemy damage distribution is.

Ship build info is the second most important info about a given empire, followed by fleet positions and who their friends are in that order. I should be far less frustrated now.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I can guarantee you the AI enemies you encounter are using some garbage mishmash of disruptors, point defense, and lasers.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
In case anyone doesn't read other threads, Vic 3 was announced today and seems cool
https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/nhzt1w/victoria_3_everything_we_know_so_far/

Of course, a lot depends on how polished it is and how well these ideas work out as gameplay, but it sounds nice IMO.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

In case anyone doesn't read other threads, Vic 3 was announced today and seems cool
https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/nhzt1w/victoria_3_everything_we_know_so_far/

Of course, a lot depends on how polished it is and how well these ideas work out as gameplay, but it sounds nice IMO.

It sounds absolutely amazing; hopefully some of the learning from it will come back for Stellaris 2.

Can't imagine it won't be a CPU hog though, with that volume of pops with all those features.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kaal posted:

If things are too opaque then they get reduced to a map color and some fleet power numbers - which isn't actually all that interesting.

Map color and numbers is all the Unbidden have been. It is 2509, I'm the only one actually fighting the Unbidden, and right before I quit for the night last night I retook the system their portal is in, only to learn I can't close it until I destroy all the anchors. Every other battle, a Motile Organ develops autonomy and can be selected as an admiral, which is great because otherwise I'd have to keep hiring them, and also useless because 400 energy credits is the kind of thing I'd find in the couch cushions, if mushrooms sat on couches or had pockets that change could fall out of. All I want is to get to finish a game for the first time :negative:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Unbidden have no armor, more shields than hull, and their weapons have bonuses against armor and hull but a -50% penalty against shields. They're the most specialized crisis, and proper ship design against them is very important. Going against them with neutron launchers and giga cannons (my usual loadout against regular AIs) vs Arc Emitters and strike craft/disruptors/cloud lightning/kinetic artillery/whatever really is a massive difference.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

Unbidden have no armor, more shields than hull, and their weapons have bonuses against armor and hull but a -50% penalty against shields. They're the most specialized crisis, and proper ship design against them is very important. Going against them with neutron launchers and giga cannons (my usual loadout against regular AIs) vs Arc Emitters and strike craft/disruptors/cloud lightning/kinetic artillery/whatever really is a massive difference.

Now I'm wondering if Null Void beams and their insane bonus damage against shields would mean they're still effective against the Unbidden when paired with anti-hull weapons like plasma, of if the math still doesn't work out.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Staltran posted:

They're not really difficult (I'm playing on Cadet and 25% strength Crisis, after all), just tedious. They're everywhere (because it took a really long time for everyone to open their borders so I could go smash them) and... okay, I knew I needed arc emitters (can't get cloud lightning; couldn't get to the void cloud system in time for the research project), but I'll make a new battleship design with shields and strike craft and see if that helps.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

zonohedron posted:

They're not really difficult (I'm playing on Cadet and 25% strength Crisis, after all), just tedious. They're everywhere (because it took a really long time for everyone to open their borders so I could go smash them) and... okay, I knew I needed arc emitters (can't get cloud lightning; couldn't get to the void cloud system in time for the research project), but I'll make a new battleship design with shields and strike craft and see if that helps.
Ah, if you're on Cadet then everyone who's not you will not just be useless but worse than useless. Cadet means the AI empires have penalties to resources etc. so they're pretty much actively unable to assist.

How well they can assist on higher difficulty levels is debatable, but on Cadet yeah it's just you vs the crisis.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Libluini posted:

Now I'm wondering if Null Void beams and their insane bonus damage against shields would mean they're still effective against the Unbidden when paired with anti-hull weapons like plasma, of if the math still doesn't work out.

Probably but it's not worth it. You're better off building all Kinetic Artillery battleships and taking advantage of the huge range advantage it gives you. KA has big anti-shield bonuses and more than enough hull damage to finish them off.

6KA BBs is a night and day improvement over a more balanced design like 2KA 4NL.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm certain that I am reading this wrong (I have a hard time with many of the tooltips in this game), but I feel like I'm not getting any pop growth from being Nomadic?

Or rather, I guess it seems that that planet has zero migration so 0 times 0.15 still equals zero?

edit: while I'm at it, what does the (+0.02 from Pops) bonus cap out at when I hit that sweet spot on a planet's carrying capacity curve? I have a bunch of planets where that is 1.5 in place of the 0.02.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm certain that I am reading this wrong (I have a hard time with many of the tooltips in this game), but I feel like I'm not getting any pop growth from being Nomadic?

Or rather, I guess it seems that that planet has zero migration so 0 times 0.15 still equals zero?

The percentages are modifiers to the base value, so yeah, 15% of zero is still zero.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah there's no migration so you're not getting anything (on that planet) from nomadic's +15% bonus. The bonus from pops caps out at 1.5 by default (there's a slider for it now). Note that the bonus is to base growth, so it's multiplied by all of your growth modifiers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

edit: while I'm at it, what does the (+0.02 from Pops) bonus cap out at when I hit that sweet spot on a planet's carrying capacity curve? I have a bunch of planets where that is 1.5 in place of the 0.02.

Do you only have one planet?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Torrannor posted:

Do you only have one planet?

Clearly not, as there's a system with a planet in that's not the capital in the background of the ss

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Found a weird bug (or a feature I don’t understand) - some of my planets (driven assimilator) and all of my ring world habitats aren’t spawning defensive armies despite having several strongholds/fortresses. I was v surprised when the fallen empire i was picking on rolled right over my capital (after which the fortresses spawned 2k worth of defensive armies for them 🙃).

I’ll have to double check, but it *might* be only my ringworld and machine worlds that are broken.

In other news, I think I build upgraded strongholds on many more planets in this post 3.0 world. The ftl inhibitor has always been useful, but I think the buff to soldier output has made them a good choice for fleet cap (and the higher difficulty AI seems way more willing to land armies on planets).

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Found a weird bug (or a feature I don’t understand) - some of my planets (driven assimilator) and all of my ring world habitats aren’t spawning defensive armies despite having several strongholds/fortresses. I was v surprised when the fallen empire i was picking on rolled right over my capital (after which the fortresses spawned 2k worth of defensive armies for them 🙃).

I’ll have to double check, but it *might* be only my ringworld and machine worlds that are broken.

In other news, I think I build upgraded strongholds on many more planets in this post 3.0 world. The ftl inhibitor has always been useful, but I think the buff to soldier output has made them a good choice for fleet cap (and the higher difficulty AI seems way more willing to land armies on planets).

Ahhhhhh the species working the jobs were exempt from military service 😭 Paradox!!!!!!!!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lmao a neighbor that I've been beating on for ages is now a subject, but I do not know who the overlord is. I dont have the DLC and from what I can tell.... I cant figure out who their overlord with any of the means available to me :xd:
edit: and the wankers are a conundrum that are both a Beacon Of Liberty *and* a Police State :derp:
edit2: I found out who their overlord is by checking the Declare War screen of other factions near me.

Shadowlyger posted:

The percentages are modifiers to the base value, so yeah, 15% of zero is still zero.

Staltran posted:

Yeah there's no migration so you're not getting anything (on that planet) from nomadic's +15% bonus. The bonus from pops caps out at 1.5 by default (there's a slider for it now). Note that the bonus is to base growth, so it's multiplied by all of your growth modifiers.
Thanks gents!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 22, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Quick modding question: If I am only changing/replacing a handful of vanilla events, my file should only contain the events I have changed, right? That way if someone else modifies other events, there's no conflicts?

I'm making some changes to the precursor intros so that you can discover each precursor in the same game assuming you find and survey the correct systems before they're all surveyed. So I'm only altering the trigger for the intro events. Ergo, the only events my precursor_events.txt file should define are those five intro events (and the same rule for the ancient_relics_events_1.txt etc.).

Am I correct?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

How well they can assist on higher difficulty levels is debatable, but on Cadet yeah it's just you vs the crisis.

Better ships ended up not really mattering, but by 2527 I had finally destroyed all the teensy little starbases. Benevolent mushrooms now allow the rest of the galaxy to pretend it is independent, while voting against every resolution and war declaration, because they like the way the galaxy is already, thank you.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Ahhhhhh the species working the jobs were exempt from military service 😭 Paradox!!!!!!!!!

Yeah for some idiot reason all newly assimilated species start as Exempt from military duty, meaning they can't spawn defense armies.

And you can't change the default, because the "default" setting is for unassimilated species.

AND you can't set them to Soldiers Only so they don't clog your leader lists. Exempt or Full Service only.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah for some idiot reason all newly assimilated species start as Exempt from military duty, meaning they can't spawn defense armies.

And you can't change the default, because the "default" setting is for unassimilated species.

AND you can't set them to Soldiers Only so they don't clog your leader lists. Exempt or Full Service only.
Shouldn't exempt pops be excluded from even working soldier/enforcer jobs?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

Shouldn't exempt pops be excluded from even working soldier/enforcer jobs?

Ah hah!
code:
patrol_drone = {
	possible = {
		drone_job_check_trigger = yes
	}

warrior_drone = {
	possible = {
	}
The answer is they do not check for military service the way soldiers and enforcers do

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ShadowHawk posted:

Ah hah!
code:
patrol_drone = {
	possible = {
	}

warrior_drone = {
	possible = {
	}
The answer is they do not check for military service the way soldiers and enforcers do
Bug report bug report bug report

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Splicer posted:

Bug report bug report bug report
I typed up the entire bug report but there's a mandatory file attachment step. I don't have a savegame so instead I just uploaded the relevant bad part of the code.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

I typed up the entire bug report but there's a mandatory file attachment step. I don't have a savegame so instead I just uploaded the relevant bad part of the code.

I think people just usually upload cat pictures when they don't have a save or screenshot anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

1.5 is the cap with the default settings.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone have a working mod that triples or even quintuples the fuckin base move speed of every ship? I actually like the feel of the game right now, it's very much improved, but am honestly shocked at how long it still takes for ships to get around.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao what god drat idiot thought that -200 opinion was a reasonable penalty for an alleged "Existential Threat".
Those loving modifiers should at least be multiplied by 10x to be in line with Devouring Swarm and such, if not more.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In other army-related news, I just forced a federation fighting me and my little AI-buddies into accepting a massively detrimental stalemate, just because their main empire (machines) did not do a lot to defend their planets.

At first they managed to actually occupy a planet from my neighbor, but then my own armies arrived and I went on a rampage across the machine empire's space. Took even their homeworld (a ringworld), since on none of the 2-3 planets I visited before peace was declared had more than 4 defense armies. Also the AI send most of their fleets into a third empire, which had joined the fighting midway through this mess.

In the aftermath, I tried to understand the strategic decision making behind this. I think what may happened was the AI seeing another ally of mine on the other side of the galaxy trying to drag my empire into a war with their local devouring swarm. When I said "no", that ally went "OK, fine" and declared anyway, leading them alone into a war with an enemy their own AI had calculated they needed an ally to have a chance of winning beforehand (they lost 25% territory in that war).

Now, I speculate that for some reason, my people's enemies (now federated) saw this happening, and like my dumb ally, just assumed that everything went as planned and that I was now at war with a strong enemy. So they suddenly declared war on my other, weak-as-poo poo ally, since their own strategic AI must have believed that with my empire already at war and thus distracted, my neighbor must be an easy victim.

But I had voted "no" and was therefore not at war, leading to this lopsided situation were my weak-sauce cruiser fleets easily fought a two-front war and won.

At least this is my explanation for how suddenly half the galaxy exploded into war. :shepface:

Well, at least the machine empire got some other territory from their separate war going on in the background (midway through, an independent hivemind decided to suddenly join the war, and since they were too far away from us, but right next to the machine empire, the war on that front turned a lot more even.

In conclusion, while I'm not sure I'd call the AI-choices "smart", they definitely resulted in a more interesting play time, as "smart" choices would have been to stay the hell away from our chain of mutual defense pacts, and that would have meant centuries of boring peace

Edit:

And while we had our space 30-years-war going on, another strong military power on the other side of a wormhole turned from democratic into theocratic, and from hegemonic imperialists aligning nice with our own goals to evangelizing zealots who really don't like us (fanatic materialists). Kind of funny, this time I went 100% science loner instead of my usual 100% xenophile runs, and the game obliges me by filling up the map with tons of potential fights. My normal xenophile-runs tend to turn at least 3/4ths of the map into my friends, leading to a mostly uneventful run towards victory. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 23, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao what god drat idiot thought that -200 opinion was a reasonable penalty for an alleged "Existential Threat".
Those loving modifiers should at least be multiplied by 10x to be in line with Devouring Swarm and such, if not more.
The best is how, if you build up trust, you can have perfectly normal relations with a driven assimilator. Even invite them to your faction, and enact a federation-wide migration law with them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ShadowHawk posted:

The best is how, if you build up trust, you can have perfectly normal relations with a driven assimilator. Even invite them to your faction, and enact a federation-wide migration law with them.

I'm inexplicably fond of having the Galactic Market in Assimilator space.

I'm not sure what's wrong with that, but I feel something is.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 23, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

I've had refugees showing up in vanilla machine intelligence space. Stellaris immigrants are not terribly bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I really feel that you should be able to shift to Rogue Servitors midgame. Just looking sadly at everything going on and deciding yeah OK enough of this, get in the domes.