Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Man, the improvements to Stellaris with this update are crazy. The pace is more slower and thoughtful, which I think really helps the game. For example, I actually feel like I get the chance to sort of know my local galactic neighborhood and have to consider how I'm going to expand for the future. Well past my expectations.

I got a neat Curator Think Tank on a starbase. That was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I don't know if it's a bug or just something weird but...

I had the Titanic Life event. My fanatic Xenophobes elected to eat them all for +20 food on the planet. So, did that, all worked out.

Then I researched a special project about the Titan Life and my planet was subjugated by three Titans. I beat them back with like 12 armies but it still represented a significant drain on my early economy as the colony that got taken was my second one ever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I seem to be getting way, way more failures on even 10% or 5% failure rate survey things. That or I've been uncharacteristically unlucky for three games.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would love to know how Determined Exterminators, Hive Minds, or Fanatical Purifiers even get war exhaustion. Especially when they're winning. The whole system is a complete mess and seemingly fails to take into account some really basic things like who is winning. Given how long the game has been out--

Uh.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TGLT posted:

Yeah, that's a whole other event. And unfortunately a one off. I don't think the Other Science Ship ever turns out to be a trap or anything.

Doesn't that event bump up the percentage chance, or the minimum time, for the Unbidden to show up?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ahhh okay, and I guess the garrison takes damage slowly over time separate from that, since I can see their health bar slowly drain. Interesting. I saw plenty of craters show up on the planets but didnt notice other things happening. Maybe the game can count a partial/growing pop as a casualty because it took forever. You would think that a planet that is being bombarded and is generating negative food wouldnt have any pop growth...
Anyway, thanks guys!

The other thing is that I think planets turn to Tomb Worlds only once you're bombed the population to zero.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, Tech Ascendancy needs something. I can't imagine ever taking it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

GotLag posted:

Two questions:

Is there a console command to force a tech to be available (but not research it), like how researching debris or picking Master Builders make associated techs always an option?

How would you describe the Hiigarans in terms of Stellaris ethics/government?

Pretty sure they're a democratic oligarchy (heads of clans make decisions). Materialist, militarist... not sure what the third point would be. I'd learn towards authoritarian. I don't think they're spiritualist, really, just steeped in tradition.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wish when playing as a Feudal Society we could name our Vassals when we release them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Reveilled posted:

I haven't played Feudal Society in the new patch, but as a normal empire I'm able to name vassals when I release them. That's disabled for Feudalism?

Huh. When I tried it a few months ago, I wasn't able to. I'll try again!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

So. Weird game.

One side of my galaxy, literally split down the middle, is full of peaceful Federation Builders and Erudite Explorers and so on, who have blobbed up into a Federation since pretty early.

The other side of the galaxy is filled with Hegemonic Imperialists, Fanatic Purifiers and Slaving Despots and other mean types.

It's... kind of odd?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

I was wondering if they sped up combat in 2.0 or if I was imagining it. Turning the speed down to slowest looks more like how it should be.

Likewise.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I think they fixed the Precursor chain in 2.0.2. In the game I started, all six precursor anomalies appeared within about 10 jumps of my homeworld.

I didn't find a single one in my 2.0.2 game. :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

Replace Defender of the Galaxy's perks with an AI controlled ship admiralled by The Captain Jean Luc T. "Starlord" Shephard-Crichton that wanders around during peace time doing random good deeds, generating anomalies and leaders, and occasionally vanishing on invisible missions into other empires that spawn positive opinion modifiers. It gets a special "diverse crew" modifier based on how many species there are in your extended empire slash friend group and if it dies it respawns later with a letter after its name. When the endgame crisis spawns it drops into your direct control for the duration, with The Captain commanding whatever fleet you put it in as a level 10+ Admiral with all the positive traits.

More like Captain Jean Luc T "Shepard" Sheridan-Crichton, come on. :colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

Sheridan is a station commander on his show :colbert: you have to draw the line somewhere

WELL, ACTUALLY he was the commanding officer of the EAS Agamemnon first, and furthermore...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

That is why I explicitly said "on his show" YOU WILL NOT OUT PEDANT ME unless you argue that the specific episodes featuring his early command count which is probably going to happen.

You merely adopted the pedant. I was born in it, molded by it...

Because he also captained the White Star Prime. :smugdog:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Aethernet posted:

* Grasp the Void effect on starbase capacity increased from +4 to +5
Also, lol@+5 instead of +4 starbases.

If the next patch isn't +6 in response to this, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I could almost see if you're playing some tiny empire that doesn't have any choke points and you really want to fortify every single border system and have a starbase on every colonized system and that cool black hole with the artists colony orbiting it that maybe, just maybe, getting +6 starbases right away as an entire ascension perk instead of just waiting to get the techs might be worth while.

In the Paradox studio, Wiz frowns at this post and turns the Starbase+ dial to 7.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This event chain for Loop-Plowed fields and Spiral-Hewn mines is bizarre (where there were these four super farms and mines on a planet). They are on a strategic and valuable planet

Sounds like The Worm loves you, IMO.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Magil Zeal: There are too many pirates.

Magil Zeal: There aren't enough pirates.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

I wish to inform you all that I love the Worm and the Worm loves me.

I've got a game going where I colonized Zanaam and got the Worm Spiral mines and farms on it.

Thank you, Space Worm. :getin:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, it's a tiny and insignificant and stupid thing but I have no desire to play that game to completion any longer.

I don't know how to put this, dude, but...

No one cares.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Yeah I kind of wanted to do a feudal run but I just don't see much of a point. Letting them grab their own poo poo doesn't seem worth a civic slot.

Feudal Society sounds better than it is. By the time you're making/acquiring vassals, they can't really expand much (and I think you can just trade systems to them anyway).

I still wish Ringworlds, Dyson Spheres, etc, could come a little bit earlier. I had three Ascension perks but hadn't pulled Mega Structures despite having a Voidborn Curator in Engineering for decades. And taking Master Builders is a waste of a perk slot, especially when it's gated behind ZPE. By the time I can build them, the game is over. They're so cool, it's just a shame that by the time you can even begin one there's little point to doing so. I feel being able to start them earlier, and impose a 'construction tax' as opposed to a big flat sum, would do a few things:

Allow the player to see them/possess them.
Additionally, to do so in a part of the game where they feel like they matter
Make them vital targets for you to control or covet, and therefore perhaps drive a bit of galactic instability
Create more of a sense of a changing galaxy (similar to Apocalyptic bombing etc.)

There's so many cool things in Stellaris -- the megastructures, and now Titans and the planet-killers -- that feel like they come too late.

Also, there's a bug where if you're researching how to get the Dreadnaught working again and your construction ship gets kicked out of the system -- by say pirates spawning in there -- engineering research halts indefinitely, even when the construction ship isn't handling the special project. The only way to fix it I found was to get my construction ship back over there and finish the project.

Organic empires seem to hit a plateau where they stop advancing entirely. Robot empires don't seem to run into the same problem, so, I'm guessing it's food-related.

Also, put the End Of The Cycle in multiplayer (even if it's just an option in game creation). :argh:

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 12, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I usually play psionic empires and I've never seen it offered. I've seen all the other offers. (Desire is the best, strands/whispers are annoying, eater of worlds is really bad.)

It's apparently incredibly rare. Something like you'd need some ridiculous amount of game years to see it on average. Last game, I got an offer from all but The End.

I understand why it's not in MP because it is the most dangerous of all the crises and one player can literally ruin the entire galaxy, but it's also extremely cool. I definitely think it's rare enough to just put it in MP with an option to disable it if people are truly concerned about it.

I'm playing Psionic just to get a chance of seeing it. It's one of the coolest things in Stellaris, I think, but falls into the trap of 'no one sees it'.

Magil Zeal posted:

Heaven forbid someone put a negative game report in here in addition to the others. :rolleyes: I do wish I could fix it though. I feel as though there must be an option I'm missing in there somewhere, but maybe not.

You could be negative-funny just ABGD, or negative and constructive, or negative-anything other than posting again and again with a content that could be summed up as "*sigh* this sucks, guys *longer sigh*".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It should be in multiplayer as a "I'm bored lets start triggering disasters" option

It might make Grasp The Void worth taking. :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

HappyKitty posted:

This needed to be changed in a big way. As it is now, you are pretty much resigned to losing systems in a two-front war, even if you have enough naval power to totally crush both enemies.

I'm playing Purifiers currently and I'm frequently winning two-front wars. The trick is having a few Bastions for the enemy to hit (because the AI will try), then you hit them, then push while their fleet is repairing. Supremacy first so you can get Hit and Run War Doctrine which means you'll be winning just about every engagement, sometimes with zero casualties if you're massing corvettes. The AI also loves to send out broken, damaged fleets if you're rampaging through their space so you can win the next battle that much more decisively.

If you lose a few systems, it's easy enough to retake them. You just need to have been preparing for the war for a while and maintain a similar fleet power.

DatonKallandor posted:

In my fanatic purifier games I actually can get by without anchorages at all (for a suprisingly long time), because you get so much free naval cap. Which means shipyards/crew quarters on every single border starbase. Upgrade and repair everywhere. It makes you ridiculously mobile strategically.

This too. Win the defensive battle at the starbase, repair at the starbase, push into their space.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pirates are literally just a 'don't forget about your military, moron' reminder

even then, you get people being like 'it's 2400 and pirates just dropped 4k on me what is this bullshit mechanic' or whatever

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I thought the In Limbo special project was supposed to work with Droids? Do you really need Synths to be able to settle them somewhere? I'm sure I've done it once with Droids.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AG3 posted:

Worked with droids for me. Of course, I was spiritual xenophobe and had outlawed AI so they were instantly set to be purged, but it worked. When I did it with Synths instead they just vanished in the night, probably because they then understood what fate awaited them. Or my planets were full.

I completed the porject with droids and it failed. I unlocked the project when I only had robots, though, so maybe that's the issue? It was disappointing because it's a neat rare event and my galaxy had no robot empires. :smith:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Seams posted:

I hope one day the choice in response is more than just flavour text.

You could almost see it as a way to get an initial diplomatic bonus/malus and maybe influence. If you're an isolationist xenophobe and you tell the new empire to get bent, bam, domestic influence.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I don't think Ascension Perks should require techs. It seems a bit weird.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It feels like your average AI Empire will stagnate well before 2300. I've seen heaps of Empires get their homeworld rebelling from them, and that lone homeworld may then take over the empire it used to belong to without much problem. I don't know what happens to the minerals I give vassals of late, but they certainly don't use it to build things on tiles.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Taear posted:

I posted earlier that my last game it happened to every single AI empire (except for the purifiers) and all their planets were empty. Literally every one that wasn't their capital.
People suggested starvation spirals but for every empire?

At least with the example of my vassal, they weren't starving they just weren't doing anything. I could give them hundreds of food and thousands of energy and minerals and nothing would change.

On the other hand, I had another vassal who did build up their planets and build a fleet and generally do what they could to expand.

I just don't have a clue why one froze up and another managed to keep up as best they could.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

the great filter is obviously the worm, whom i love

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Staltran posted:

Also agreed on corvettes being too good. In general I think the hit calculations are too swingy. Though I've noticed corvettes often only get pyrrhic victories against bigger ships, due to the big ships disengaging, while the corvettes never get a chance to because they die if hit at less than half hull by a L slot weapon. But that basically requires picket computer destroyers/cruisers, since you're not hitting them otherwise. Haven't figured out a good way to test corvettes with No Retreat against bigger ships with another doctrine, since attackallfleets won't work with that. In my testing generally if I'm using No Retreat the corvettes slaughter bigger ships, but with other policies the bigger ships emergency ftl out of there with lighter losses than the corvettes.

In my experience, the most powerful fleet by far is a corvette swarm with the Hit and Run war doctrine and a Trickster Admiral.

You just don't take losses. Even if you only knock down a few of their big ships, you've probably lost way less and can replace/repair the corvettes faster.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

and you can make size 12, what, size 15?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

wiz told me he's adding two more starbases to grasp the void

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Sounds like one of those things where the tech hadn't caught up with the vision.

I think that was SotS2 in a nutshell.

It was a shockingly bad game. I still remember how to buy them time, the developers said they had uploaded a bad beta version to Steam on release day and if people would just wait a day or two for them to fix it, they'd have the retail version.

Then that version was basically exactly the same.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Chinese localization wasn't even supposed to be included. It was incomplete and of low quality, so, Paradox pulled it out because it got in by accident. IIRC, Steam never advertised Chinese support, it all came through a mod.

This has been interpreted as a grievous, personal insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I won't miss tiles. Once you got past 3-4 planets they just became a hassle.