Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Getting back into this with my curious robot empire and I have some questions:

1) I heard that sectors are doing pretty well now, but does that extend to robot empires?
2) Likewise, do sectors understand robomodded pops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Libluini posted:

1) Better than normal empires actually, since sectors are a little bit overzealous in feeding your people. If you don't need food, that's one headache less for you, the player
2) My experience so far has been mixed, but you can circumvent this by planning out a colony with multiple-building all robo-pops in advance, then remembering to forbid your sector to redevelop.

The only bottlenecks for this kind of planning are your mineral reserves. Oh, and energy reserves if you need to clear blockers first.

Thank you. I'm almost considering not min-maxing robopops, but why bother playing machine empires then?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Question: with systems only inflating unity costs by 2% while planets take 20% for unity, is the new conventional wisdom for tall play to expand as much as you can, starbases for chokepoints permitting, but not to colonize planets all willy-nilly? Maybe only colonize up to your core systems cap?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or does it seems like, pound for pound, the best weapons to put on defensive platforms are hangars since you can muster a lot of them on a fortress station, enough to test even the most PD-heavy fleet?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Staltran posted:

So, uh, regarding the previous discussion on system/planet tradition/tech cost increases and figuring out if a system is worth it, I think a good way is to basically calculate how much unity/science you're losing to inflation. Now, if you're not an idiot, you write a function to do that in whatever programming language. If you are an idiot, after that you decide that a simple web page would be a more convenient UI, and wouldn't take that long to make. Future idiots don't need to do that though. Unless they want to make one that's not kinda lovely I guess. If you have any complaints/suggestions you can post them here but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll care enough to spend more time on this. (The source code also badly needs refactoring so I don't really want anyone to see it.)

Thank god I'm an idiot, and thank you for not being one!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I thought they hotfixed the "pops being purged not producing resources" thing? I'm turning these c'thulu fuckers into batteries and I'm not getting any juice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, do you actually need low unrest to turn aliens into food/batteries?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ulmont posted:

Make sure you have patch 2.0.1 [checksum fb8b] installed.

Nah. If you try and turn aliens into food/batteries, their unrest will be pegged at 100%. At least in 2.0.0, that drops their output to 0. Supposedly fixed in 2.0.1 but see above.

I got the hotfix but it's not working. I hope it isn't the increased ship speed mod posted earlier, since that was listed for 2.0 only, but apparently some other people on reddit are still experiencing the purge bug.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah you need to reduce unrest. Drop down some patrol drones and you should be fine.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources even if you reduced the unrest.

Oh, alright. That does make sense. Sorry, never really played Determined Exterminators before so I was confused. I did play a Devouring Swarm, but that's when attack armies lowered unrest. Time to set up some fortresses and ship some bots in!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How's the difficulty for you guys? My Very Hard diff/High Aggression genocide robots run has kinda hit the steamrolling pace and I'm just about to hit midgame. I only had a single tense early game war with a neighbor that I won through camping my defensive starbase, racking up their casualties for a pocket auto-status quo, and bumrushed key systems to slow their momentum when I finally had the upper hand. After that, the AI just would not risk a war against my super bastions but couldn't clean up their own neighbors, leading me to eventually overpower them though robot optimization and tech. I'd have figured they'd be making alliance blocs against me now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Threat dissipates over time, yeah? I'd have thought that the presence of a genocidal race's massive empire would always be a constant threat to empires, encouraging them to ally up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been warned away from using cruisers due to them not being particularly cost-effective; will Destroyers with small weapons hovering around the "line" engagement range still contribute to the fight? Or should I just spec them as "artillery" destroyers + 1 medium weapon and leave the point defense to the corvettes?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Is there a hotkey to upgrade all on a defense platform? Better, add a hotkey to upgrade all on all starbases

There's a button on the Defenses panel for a starbase that lets you upgrade all of them in one go. Top of the platform list I think.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Because if they're not anti-corvette, what exactly are they for, given that torpedoes are better against large ships in nearly every way?

I'm surprised he was down on missiles (at least for early game), considering that missile spam on my starbase and defense platforms were what got me through early game aggression by enemy empires as a genocide robot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Flushed the game cash, verified file integrity, no dice.

There is no more male gender, or female portrait diversity.

Since I've heard everyone give this beta version rave reviews, I don't really feel like rolling back to the most recent official release either, damnit

I'm pretty sure that's just the default human portrait; your actual leader, subleaders, and pops should have their own.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nickiepoo posted:

Do....do they fight each other?

Thankfully yes, but it pretty much makes the Defender of the Galaxy perk pick a requirement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did the change to Titan limits push through in the final patch? I'm still stuck at 3 Titans despite having more than enough force limit, and the only mods I haven't turned off to narrow down the culprit are the two AI mods and Mod Menu.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm only using Glavius' mod for this run, at 2264 I'm pretty sure not a single empire has warred with another in my entire galaxy. And this is with me using the custom difficulty mod to boost their handicap to Grand Admiral level now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, even with me using the custom difficulty mod to boost their resource and combat bonuses beyond the vanilla games restraints, not even the monster Awakened Fallen Empire is doing poo poo apart from making bigger fleets with bigger power numbers. I want some wars to pop off, goddammit, and not just stomps by the local friendlies on the unlucky rear end in a top hat empires that caught a face full of Great Khan.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hang on, do different difficulty choices use different AI profiles? I started this game on Scaling so maybe it's using the "brain" of a lower difficulty AI that isn't aggressive at all. Might explain why using the Custom Difficulty mod to change handicaps mid-game isn't also causing them to start poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I think something's hosed with Glavius' mod right now, because I turned it off and nations started declaring war on each other again. Didn't do anything for the Awakened Fallen Empires, though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I've been trying out this mod recently; EUTUB. I was hesitant at first, but after dipping my toes in it I've got to say that it's amazing!

Goddamn, this looks fantastic, and on top of it all looks like it has great localization, which is a premium among Stellaris mods for some bizarre reason. Thanks for the rec!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Guilliman posted:

The 0-2 option should be perfect for you then :) with that setting their spawn chance is lower as well. Guarantee you'd like it :)

Quoting you because I'd like to ask something: Guilli, is it a game bug that Starbases and their weapon modules won't use mod-added weapons at all? I think I might switch back to your ship components mod over Extra Ship Components. It's a good mod, but the tech tree gets ridiculously huge and I'm certain that there's a fair amount of stuff in it that isn't balanced at all (those chrono something cannons are insane and there's literally no point in using anything else), so I'd like to go back to yours since I remember it being a lot slimmer. However, Starbases getting outgunned because they don't upgrade properly is also bad so I'm trying to avoid that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Guilliman posted:

I'm not sure about starbases modules tbh. I'll need to check that.My mod adds starbase defense stations and fortresses next to defense platforms, and the higher tier armor techs give starbases extra health as well so they can keep up with bigger fleets.

Cool, thank you!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From my last two games after 2.02 went out of beta, not a single Awakened Fallen Empire has worked properly. Great Khans work alright, Marauder raider fleets don't. Both the Unbidden and the Prethoryn work fine, can't comment on Contingency. Gonna start a new one soon, probably should not bother with FEs and only use one Marauder clan.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, through the magic of mods (4 ethics points), I have now created a materialist Fanatic Purifiers empire with starting robots. Question: because my dudes are clearly assholes and definitely would grant their robots sentience just to turn them into slaves, is there a way to prevent the Synth Rebellion from happening, or should I just avoid researching the Synths technology at all or do so anyway out of arrogance and live in fear of them going Skynet?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, so is the 2.03 patch actually fixed now or nah?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no, but now you can roll back to 2.02 with the beta tab

Dang. Figured that they'd have a hotfix out before having the dev diary go up, maybe it would be a bad look or something.

Unrelated but it turns out that synths don't qualify as slaves for the slave processing facility. Also dang, I was hoping to stack bonuses like crazy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
New mod lookout: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365485813

From the maker of Ex-Overhaul and collaborator on EUTAB, this new mod is part of an upcoming series that revamps the game. In particular, this mod changes buildings in a huge way by making it so that actually building the right buildings on a tile with resources gives you a lot more of that resources by adding a multiplier to the tile's resource amount on top of the amount generated by the building. This is also intended to help out the AI by basically making its decision-making process re: tile development (and sector AI on "respect tile resources" mode) a lot simpler by ensuring that just by building the correct buildings, it gets enough resources back to sustain itself properly.

It also has a compat patch out for EUTAB, and can be added to an ongoing game. CAVEAT: as of now there's a weird bug where strategic resources get wiped across the galaxy if you load it in a current savegame so be careful and maybe wait for further info.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Posting again about this: could a mod be hard-capping the amount of titans you can field to 3 regardless of total naval capacity despite the final 2.02 patch removing that hard cap? The only mod I use that could be loving with that is this old mod someone here recommended long ago: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312223578.

Additionally, could a mod have hosed with combat behavior again? Because IIRC the 2.0 patch actually made ships stay in their preferred ranges, and now even artillery battleships and titans are just flying headlong into the scrum instead of keeping their distance and shooting. The only ship component mods I'm using that might touch ship components are Guilli's mod and the aforementioned ship speedup mod.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Troop transports loving up AI targetting in battles is a poo poo consequence of them not being abstracted enough. They should go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Didn't they fix the planet occupation bug in 2.0.4 yet? I already have half this enemy empire under occupation and I'm pretty sure I should be inches away from a Subjugation victory over them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you're down with mods, pick up EUTAB because it gives you some great unlockable tech choices when you pick an "underpowered" ascension perk, along all the other cool poo poo it adds.

Speaking of mods, I think Glavius has finally unfucked his AI, because I started a new game with it and the AI is certainly doing much better now compared to before.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I switched to Liberation Wars policy as a "peaceful" Machine Intelligence, hoping to take a chunk out of my rear end in a top hat spiritualist neighbor and turn it into the beginning of a vassal empire, but the Ideology casus belli isn't triggering. Could it be related to the 4 ethics points mod I'm using (my leftover point after Machine Intelligence was spent on Materialist)?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Given that you can't have ethics as robots in the vanilla version of the game and consequently can't liberate, I'm guessing it's your mod.

Figures. I saw some older posts on Reddit saying that robots can liberate and that they would end up with Despicable Neutrals, and a community rep saying that the bug was fixed in an upcoming patch, but I guess that functionality got stripped out a long time ago.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

uPen posted:

Down this road lies madness.

This is exactly what shas wants.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The army system in Stellaris is, hands-down, its worst aspect, and even then it's a guarantee that someone will loving stan for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel so bad for the CGM dude, he did so much to make the game feel better (twice) and once again Wiz is Changing The Game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Getting a Battleship torched by an actual enemy fleet sucks way more than losing a pod of Corvettes, though.

Mind you, Corvettes that get intercepted and disengage also end up cluttering the fleet list, that sucks too. Not as much as the minerals and time invested in a Battleship, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

THE BAR posted:

He already had an Alien homage in Sourcery, so it wouldn't be out of place at all.

Wasn't that the Last Hero?