Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

-> OH GOD MY INCOME/FOOD

I had this exact same experience. Like, where did all the food go!? The farmer's got promoted? gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Can you still get the ratchet from that event chain?

The psionic mouse guys? Yeah they can appear, but it doesn't seem to always happen.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kaal posted:

Looks like the latest update broke the Enigmatic Fortress event again. Clearly some of the triggers aren't working correctly, and so it'll repeat prompts over and over and makes it very difficult to complete. Even when it's finished, it'll leave orphan events in the situation log. Don't even go into the system if you don't want it to just bork your save.

I had this happen and was able to complete it. All of the repeat events timed out and gave the failure state, which was annoying but did eventually end.

Hopefully that gets fixed soon!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Never using a random name again. Made some space elves. Called them Alari, cause that's a cool elfy name the randomizer popped up. Start a new game. Oh hey neighbor... The Alari... with Alar as their starting system. They're space gnomes instead of space elves. I chose not to restart and instead renamed everything, govt, starting star, starting planet, and starting sector. I will rename my species once I can apply a template.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Deuce posted:

I'm a Lithoid that owns literally two agricultural districts. Food from jobs: +223. This confused me for a bit. I poked around my planets to figure out where this food income was coming from. The food comes from the ongoing purge.

Of robots that I built. This purge also produces unity because I'm a fanatic purifier.

Building (meat?) Robots explicitly to kill them sounds like the exact thing a bloodlust fueled society would do for sport.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Question regarding robots. If I make a robot, modify it, and then let the factory remain on "random" will it make entirely default robots, or will it only make new robots of ones that exist in your empire? The interface isn't very good at telling you, since it always has the basic robot option to make a new variant from scratch.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I haven't played this in a bit since performance started to nosedive a few expansion packs ago. Have they made any good improvements or optimizations to like the daily calculations with recent patches?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

jokes posted:

You know what's pretty freaky is that if you saw a gigantic space monster eat a star, or a planet, or whatever it would be totally silent. So all the poo poo that monsters/zerg/we do in Stellaris to destroy empires and populations is totally silent to everyone except the immediate victims.

There's also light lag to consider. If we on Earth witnessed the Sun being eaten that would have happened like 8 minutes prior.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just reinstalled and haven't played since Overlord came out. Lots of new stuff in between then and now! I did pickup the couple bits of DLC I was missing. They added a tradition tree for the ascensions which is exciting!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Reveilled posted:

My current run in Fear of the Dark I’d planned to eventually take the fanatic purifier at the end of the origin when starting out, but despite my two nearest neighbours being slaving despots and a criminal syndicate, pretty much every single other state in the entire galaxy was either fanatic egalitarian or fanatic xenophile, which made the mid game pivot feel a little…unlikely. the only halfway plausible reason I could come up with to decide to start blasting was it might have been the one way I could shut up the galaxy from sending me about fifty proposals a month for various commercial, research and migration pacts.

Instead I’m going to use my free fourth civic slot to take pompous purists to give my ears a rest.

I use the pompous purists civic a lot for precisely this reason.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I found a void dwellers pre-ftl and used espionage to annex them, but they had a planet capital building instead of a habitat one, so I couldn't build any advanced buildings because the habitat buildings require the habitat capital upgrades.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
That's one hell of a party!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
My current game I was kind of excited to find a few early space age pre-ftls near my home system, cause like, cool, new subjects, but they were both hive minds, and unfortunately were positioned such that my only option would be to integrate them (which I think kills them) or conquer them (which also kills them).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I had a situation pop up where one of my starbases in orbit around a black hole started to fall into the black hole. I didn't want to lose the system so told it to pull away, and then had multiple instances of insane scientists commandeering the station to veer it towards the black hole for research. Situations are probably my favorite new addition in a while.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think they're DLC only, yeah. Do you have a situation for observation insights?

You can control the pace of tech gain by adjusting observation and mission type in the situation log. Also, I'm pretty sure the rate of tech gain is additive with number of observation posts, so with one or two posts passive observing it'll be pretty slow, but once you have more (or are more actively observing), the pace'll pick up quickly.

Is that right? I assumed the observation situations were planet specific, so the rate of advancement was based just on how you handle the situation. That being said, more observation posts will mean more situations popping because of more planets being observed, so it's a similar result.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
A leader overhaul is a really smart idea. Leaders are definitely one of the more boring things right now.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i've never paid attention to leaders at all.

Yeah, the only real strategy to leaders is, if you've got a bunch of energy to spare, you can cycle them to farm for good traits, like genius for researchers. For the most part the traits don't make a huge difference, except most of the bad ones suck so you really want to cycle those ones.

Having leaders be customizable in how they level and having like subclasses is a huge change, tbqh.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You can still have a sector governor, who is just the governor of the sector capital, but it looks like all of the governor traits are going to be planet specific and the sector benefit is just tied to level. This means it's easier to diversify planets within a sector, I guess. I don't think they said what the sector benefit from level is, so hopefully that's good at least.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It does look like, based on one of the traits they showed, there's a "negative trait potential" stat for leaders, so if you want them removed that's probably something that could be done via modding.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

It was my favorite game as a kid/young teen, and got me into so many philosophy books that were way ahead of my level! In retrospect, perhaps my impression of it and the systems are clouded by nostalgia and one's impression as a kid, but :shrug:

Everything I've seen of it is a very cool game, stylistically, that successfully took the Civ formula and made an actual narrative out of it with interesting characters. However, every time I've tried playing it I bounce right off the abysmal UI. It's very much a product of its time.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I haven't played machine empires a ton but I seem to recall machine leaders just having a chance to break down despite being immortal. Sounds like you might have just been super unlucky there.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I usually only keep one design of each ship class, because the game seems to assume that one of them is better than the other so if you've got multiple it'll prompt upgrading some of the ship designs. Is there a way to prevent that?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So the Habinte apparently will copy your ship designs and spawn a bunch of huge fleets if you go to war with them, holy moly.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Poil posted:

Is there a way to reduce the amount of pinging going on on the map at all times? A starbase did something, pings for 10 seconds. A science ship found something, pings for 10 seconds. A planet did something, pings for 10 seconds. It's kinda annoying. Especially when multiple things are all pinging at the same time. It seems like if you as much as put the cursor a pixel on to a notification it resets the timer as well.

From what I've seen this issue crops up when you clear a notification with a map ping, like a system surveyed notification. After clearing it, the ping on the map lingers for... a while. I feel like it's longer than 10 seconds, and it's likely associated with in game time. I've been able to reliably avoid it by letting those notifications fall off on their own instead of right-clicking to clear them.

Edit: I suspect the bug is happening because when you've got your mouse over one of those notifications, it pings the map to indicate where that notification is from. Right-clicking to clear the notification should also stop the ping, but that's not happening, so I think the game gets confused for a while because the notification ping was never told to stop. Presumably they have some kind of sanity check that stops them after a certain amount of time, but it's still annoying that they linger so long.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 18, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I was a little disappointed to find they didn't get custom announcer voices for all of the new notifications like when council agendas are available and such.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Basically if you can become the crisis, you should unless you for some reason care about the opinion hit.

Also is it just me or did this patch basically stealth buff synthetic ascension. Getting immortal leaders is very good.

Do synths and machine leaders still have the thing where they will just "break down" and die due to random events sometimes?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The other empires in the Common Ground origin are randomly generated, and as far as I know there isn't a way for another player to start as one of those empires, although the workaround mentioned of loading into an existing game and taking control of one of those empires is a possibility.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah leader changes are baked in to the base game with paragons adding a bunch of unique ones and flavor.

The changes are pretty significant, basically meaning that you're going to have a much smaller pool of leaders, but each individual one is going to have a lot more potential impact. The council position stuff in particular gives every leader type the potential to greatly impact your whole empire.

I think they're overall pretty good changes, as leaders were a pretty uninteresting thing before. It just takes some getting used to.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'm not sure how it compares exactly to warforms, but I think there's a way to get a big stompy robot army from like an event, maybe the Cybrex chain? There's also the giant space slug army you can get from that event or the planetary titans.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

If you really want to be cruel, there's always the Devolving Beam. Land, kill the last two poor souls who're still sapient enough to understand the horror of what you just did, and then you can uplift the bastards in whatever form you like. Welcome back to sapience, assholes! You're food now.

Seems like a great option for necrophages in particular.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Huh. Even playing with battleships now I'm not stealing pops nearly as fast as I used to even before the patch that made it way too fast

Might be the empire you're raiding has like bombardment damage reduction. Are they undergrounders or have a planetary shield?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Alternatively just one hab per system.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You could conquer them, make a sector, split that off as a vassal, then federate them, maybe?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think they did try to make generals more attractive as leaders by giving them the spycraft stuff. Espionage is pretty anemic in this game, but if it's something you're interested in, having like the one general for a council position seems worthwhile at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Would it make sense to just amp up the crisis strength as well, or does that not influence the mid-game crises?